Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New venomous snake discovered in Australia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: Rule303]
      #323106 - 08/01/19 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Add to that all the poison spiders and insects I don't see how you guys even manage a picnic.

Thats why farting at BBQ's is encouraged. The smell and low frequency rumblings deter the creepy crawly's.

The low rumble of a diesel actually attracts spiders (fun fact of the day.)

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #323303 - 15/01/19 07:41 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Despite so many creatures that are full of venom or BIG Teeth, most of us Aussies, managed to survive another year Down Under.
Further to this, I seen a post on Face Book, that shows an image of a Unicorn running along.
The quote with the image was "If the Unicorn was ever discovered in Australia, the tip of the horn on it's head, would highly venomous" or words to that effect. Thats about right ...........

Luckily, we can escape across the ditch to New Zealand, for a break from all this Poison and Teeth.
I think they may have one mildly poisonous spider ......... but thats about the extent of it over there (apart from Spear Grass= Ouch, Ouch, Ouch and bloody Sand Flies !)

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: Ash]
      #323307 - 15/01/19 11:23 AM

Quote:

So does a Basilisk - no wait, the Basilisk scares them away. Yipppeeeee!
But then, the Basilisk has a poisonous bite too. No wining is there.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: DarylS]
      #323314 - 15/01/19 07:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So does a Basilisk - no wait, the Basilisk scares them away. Yipppeeeee!
But then, the Basilisk has a poisonous bite too. No wining is there.

I had to look that one up. Not a nice critter

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: Rule303]
      #323316 - 15/01/19 07:53 PM

Not nice at all!

I see one of the main descriptions of it is by Pliny the Elder, who came to an inglorious end whilst rescuing people during the eponymous Plinian eruption of Mt Vesuvius, which destroyed Herculaneum and Pompeii. The eruption of which was well described by Pliny the Younger, the Elders nephew.

Unfortunately people don’t study history well and millions of people are in peril of the next Plinian eruption of Mt Vesuvius, which will most likely significantly affect Naples and its surrounds.

Rockdoc
.400 member

Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: Rockdoc]
      #323317 - 15/01/19 07:58 PM

A bit on the beautiful, when aroused!, Blue ringed octopus

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/she-...110-p50qn5.html

DarylS
.700 member

#323325 - 16/01/19 06:02 AM

THAT could easily have ended poorly.

--------------------
Daryl

Rockdoc
.400 member

#323336 - 16/01/19 10:36 AM

Quote:

THAT could easily have ended poorly.

The main cause of blue ringed octopus bite is picking up the octopus and letting it dry out. It becomes stressed and bites. I've caught lots in days gone by, just released them back into the water. not exclusive to rock pools, I have caught them on the edge of a lake, near where I live now.

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #323416 - 18/01/19 09:36 PM

Dad picked one up when he was a kid and took it to show his grandma who then got up him and told him to put it back where he got it.

Funnily enough, that’s also how the Cadets leader reacted when he walked in with unexplored ordinance he found in the scrub

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: Wayne59]
      #323472 - 20/01/19 02:38 AM

Quote:

Add to that all the poison spiders and insects I don't see how you guys even manage a picnic.

Some visitors are so scared to walk around when here, but the reality is most people are never bitten or stung by anything nasty their whole lives. Just today I emptied and tipped over a water trough to clean it and took the chance of curling my fingers under the lip. Often a place where red back spiders lurk. None under there this time. If I take the time I prefer to use gloves just in case. Fingers crossed, but I have never been bitten by a red back spider yet.

Always snakes around here, I walk around bare foot in summer often, and was up to my knees in grass several times this week to open and close irrigation taps. I do always enter the grass carefully looking carefully. Anyone who knows snakes knows you never see the buggers anyway until they are right beside your foot ... I do take care at the taps as they leak and are good place for critters to have a drink in the extremely dry conditions.

Saw a trap door spider hole yesterday.

Red back spiders/black widdows, brown snakes, red bellied black snakes, white tail spiders (flesh eating poison), trap door spiders, probably other stuff, but nothing big that could eat one here. Noit really a problem and when they are a smart person knows to take care. Some chance of problems of course.

As for blue ringed occupusses, I was just saying last week I have never seen one, yet they are supposedly somewhat common at the beaches.

Sharks, white pointers, in the ocean can be a problem, and sometimes a beach is cleared of swimmers when one is spotted by an aircraft.

But oif people were afraid of these sorts of beasts and insects, people could not live in parts of the world where brown bears for example live ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: NitroX]
      #323476 - 20/01/19 02:58 AM

Great thread and interesting, too.

I'm one of those unlucky ones.

Got flattened by tickbite fever in Zululand many years ago. Friends said count the days to 14 and wait for your head to explode. 14, 13, 12....3, 2, 1.....Ka-BOOM! They were right on the money. LOL.

Then West Nile 11 years ago which erupted while on a trip to Jasper, Canada, then last summer a local tick got me in the upper inside thigh. I hike a lot and missed one, evidently... Big ole infected spot took antibiotics to knock out.

Ticks and skeeters...Buggers all!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: 9.3x57]
      #323479 - 20/01/19 03:07 AM

Ticks and similar, and especially the mosquito is the worlds biggest killer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: NitroX]
      #323505 - 20/01/19 07:48 AM

Spring and summer skitter bites - normal - black flies in Sept. mostly - nasty but bit of swelling and itch, that's it.
Bears not a problem around here, but with the bugs, one usually doesn't go into the bush in the summer time unless slathered in 95% Deet. I'm allergic to the stuff now, and have to put up with the less effective over sprays.

Thermacell machines work very well most of the time and the sprays are not necessary. Just carry extra butane and pads. good for about 3 1/2 hours though, per pad and 4 pads per butane tank. Lops onto a belt, check often to ensure still running. These are all we need for bugs when shooting the rendezvous trail walk. We do have some bears, but rarely see them.
No grizzlies this close to town, but possible to run into one once out of town. I never have, but friend of mine used to see one or 2 every hike he took with his new bride. She was getting the idea there were grizzlies all around us. Just lucky, I guess. Keith usually had a .45 ML with him, loaded with round ball. LOL, or a .22 for protection. Griz. weren't interested in them, of course. Black bears can be much more problematic.

They are likely 100 times more dangerous. With fewer people hunting them these days, there are some big ones out and about. I always pick up a tag, just in case I see a 7 footer. They, and the newly spanked 3 yr. olds are the most dangerous.

Lots of ticks here too, apparently. some have Lyme disease - more of that recently in the last 10 years or so.

--------------------
Daryl

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #323534 - 20/01/19 11:35 PM

I had Lyme disease just last July. Fortunately caught it early and wiped it out with antibiotics. I never saw a tick bite.

When I was a kid I remember pulling ticks off of me several times a summer. Nothing bad came of it. That was before Lyme appeared.

My Tassie friend SBS470 says the only good snake is a two piece snake.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: CptCurl]
      #323555 - 21/01/19 07:00 AM

You are fortunate to catch it early, Curly. Nasty, debilitating disease if not stopped. Most people with Lyme's here in BC are not so fortunate. I think perhaps now, they are more in tune with this, but just 20 years ago, it was rarely caught until too late.
Here in the middle of the Province, the Dr's were positive there were no lyme's carrying ticks so they refused to test for it. Friend of mine (who had Lyme's)proved them wrong by collecting ticks and sending them to a private lab in Victoria for testing. Several were positive out of 28 ticks tested. He got it while logging on Vancouver Island.

--------------------
Daryl

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #323558 - 21/01/19 08:31 AM

They need to Promote Australia as a Unsafe destination for illegal Refos and illegal immigrants,Muslims by telling them how bad it is here, with so many Killers at large !!!!!!!!Cant swim in the Creek poison Platypus ,cant walk in the bush ,drop bears ,Dingoes ,Yowie's ,Snakes .Cant live in the cities ,Funnel web Spiders ,snakes,football and cricket drunken yobbos !!! for you're own good don't F....KIN COME HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarylS
.700 member

Re: New venomous snake discovered in Australia [Re: 500Boswell]
      #323608 - 22/01/19 06:38 AM

LOL - WOW - what a horrid place. Actually, we are kinda making plans for a visit. LOL It's on the bucket list. By the sounds of it, it might be the last place we visit.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8815

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com