Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tahr 2018

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Tahr 2018 [Re: DarylS]
      #314213 - 20/03/18 03:52 PM

Darryl
We actually had one of your countryman, well sort of, he was a pretty nimble 70 year old from Alaska and had hunted extensively there owning his own Piper Cub for access to a lot of areas. The afternoon we flew in and set up our camp was settled weather with no sign of snow, pleasant enough looking area to hunt albeit steep in places. The Alaskan commented even then that he thought he was out of his league in this area, he didn't know what was coming. After an overnight high wind and rain storm turning to snow for a day and a half I think he resigned himself to hell. When he appeared out in the snow after the storm settled down with denim jeans on our hearts skipped a beat. Jeans might be okay in Alaska but you will die in them in our high country. Fortunately he did have a pair of camo waterproof over trousers which saw him through.
Unless you set off an ELB you are in the area until the chopper arrives for the arranged pick up a week later and they won't come in during a storm.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Tahr 2018 [Re: eagle27]
      #314214 - 20/03/18 04:27 PM

I'm no expert on any means on snow and ice, but when Mick referred to "dangerous" in relation to snow and ice, it was combined with steep and dangerous gradients and cliffs. Dangerous enough without slipping and sliding on ice.

Claydog's previous outfitter, a Kiwi who also outfits in NZ, told me about an incident with a fit young American hunter who didn't come down the same place as the he, the guide told him to. No snow or ice, just a tumble. Broken pelvis. Three days huddled together for body warmth, until rescued. And yes the client was crapping in his pants for three days as well.

I think Mick was smart in not risking ice on sheer cliffs ...

I think a pair of those crampons would be very good kit. And an ice axe/ staff thingees. I remember one Aussie hunter hunting in the NZ mountains a lot, mentioned he always used one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Tahr 2018 [Re: eagle27]
      #314247 - 21/03/18 04:35 AM

Quote:

Darryl
We actually had one of your countryman, well sort of, he was a pretty nimble 70 year old from Alaska and had hunted extensively there owning his own Piper Cub for access to a lot of areas. The afternoon we flew in and set up our camp was settled weather with no sign of snow, pleasant enough looking area to hunt albeit steep in places. The Alaskan commented even then that he thought he was out of his league in this area, he didn't know what was coming. After an overnight high wind and rain storm turning to snow for a day and a half I think he resigned himself to hell. When he appeared out in the snow after the storm settled down with denim jeans on our hearts skipped a beat. Jeans might be okay in Alaska but you will die in them in our high country. Fortunately he did have a pair of camo waterproof over trousers which saw him through.
Unless you set off an ELB you are in the area until the chopper arrives for the arranged pick up a week later and they won't come in during a storm.

NO --a pair of denim jeans is NOT the normal attire of people hunting in Alaska..at least not the ones I have gone hunting with ..agree with you..that's considered a death sentence..foolhardy to do such a thing in my opinion..Alaska can be blue bird skies one minute and rain for the next week or two the next day..I travel there numerous times per year..always take my rain gear along, always.. especially if I am headed to SE Alaska..

Great Pics by the way..thx for posting..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6905

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com