Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Buffalo with Bow

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Buffalo with Bow
      #307439 - 08/11/17 09:21 AM

Was speaking to NitroX and mentioned my recent buffalo and that I hadn't posted the pics. Went on a quick hunt with a mate who wanted to learn how to cape so I took the importunity to take this decent bull with my bow. Frontal chest shot with Easton Dangerous Game Full Metal Jacket Arrow with brass inserts. Thanks also to Odins Broadheads who supplied some 212gn single bevel broadheads. Sweet as. Good deep penetration. Some of the photos are Iphone so the quality may be off. Bow was a 70 pound Hoyt Carbon Spyder.

Bit of local art also.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Buffalo with Bow [Re: Claydog]
      #307442 - 08/11/17 09:39 AM

COOL! - Seemingly light, 70 pound bow for buff. Looks like it did the job. Well done.

What did the arrows with broadheads weigh?

Found this, with nice looking heads. The one pictured is a bit shorter than I thought it might have been.

http://www.odinsbroadheads.com/shop

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Buffalo with Bow [Re: DarylS]
      #307446 - 08/11/17 09:54 AM

Daryl I think all up the arrow was 819grn with the 80 grn inserts. 70 pound is plenty for buffalo with a good broadhead and heavy arrows. Frontal chest shots are not usually the way to go but it was only 10 yards away when I fired. The broad heads are shorter than I was expecting also. I was used to the grizzly stiks which look like a spear head.

DarylS
.700 member

#307448 - 08/11/17 10:41 AM

Me too - good arrow weight - good choices. I noticed the simple release. Interesting release.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #307456 - 08/11/17 12:16 PM

THAT is awesome--congrats...perfect way to take a buffalo

have to admit I was surprised to hear you took a frontal shot, but at you stated, seemed to work..The only frontal shots i have ever taken was on a bull elk at about 3 yards and a pronghorn waaaayyyy out there..hit him in the throat actually...both cased animal was dead under a minute..or at least on the ground getting ready to die..

Tightspot quiver is same I use..like it --your sights are similar as well --extended out a bit..looks like a neat setup..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Buffalo with Bow [Re: Ripp]
      #307473 - 08/11/17 04:26 PM

That is more than a decent buffalo. And scimitar shape not like the usual sweeper inland bulls.

Well done and with a bow as well.

So what happens with a front shot at a bull with a bow at close range if it doesn't work and the bull becomes 'frisky'? Mate armed with a rifle?

I woill have to make sure JB "larcher' sees this thread. When he was here he did talk about returning with his cousin to hunt buffalo again, and this time hopefully get in with his bow.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Buffalo with Bow [Re: NitroX]
      #307479 - 08/11/17 06:59 PM

I think it all about knowing you abilities and your quarry. I blame Ripps mate Troy for getting me into bow hunting. Was never that interested until I saw his bow and thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. So I started looking and found one.

Ripp
.577 member

#307485 - 09/11/17 12:43 AM

Quote:

I think it all about knowing you abilities and your quarry. I blame Ripps mate Troy for getting me into bow hunting. Was never that interested until I saw his bow and thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. So I started looking and found one.

I am having coffee with him this coming Friday--I will let him know he is now costing you money

and you are having fun doing it...

Take care

Ripp

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

#307503 - 09/11/17 08:30 AM

Give him my best.

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #307536 - 10/11/17 05:47 AM

Well done . Big achievement with a bow. Cheers Mick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Buffalo with Bow [Re: 264]
      #307576 - 10/11/17 08:10 PM

What is the green thing on the string? Some sort of bow trigger arrow release I have never seen or even heard about before?

So how does it work?

I see I am really behind in the knowledge of "tactical" equipment of modern bow hunting!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (10/11/17 08:32 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#307591 - 11/11/17 01:00 AM

Quote:

What is the green thing on the string? Some sort of bow trigger arrow release I have never seen or even heard about before?

So how does it work?

I see I am really behind in the knowledge of "tactical" equipment of modern bow hunting!

Yes, it is a release --one of many models available in today's world...
see below..
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shooting-gear/releases-accessories.html

I never used one in my life until about 8 years ago..started with a recurve in the '70's ..slowly keep switching --changing but still used fingers vs a release..finally got to a unit that looks very similar to this one..will never go back..increases accuracy and the fun factor exponentially IMHO...

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#307596 - 11/11/17 01:24 AM

OK. How does it work?

Does it interupt the string? That one looks like it is tied to each edge of the trigger? Or does the trigger still pass through?

Is the arrow knocked to the trigger?

Where is the trigger on the trigger?

All new to me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#307603 - 11/11/17 02:50 AM

Quote:

OK. How does it work?

Does it interupt the string? That one looks like it is tied to each edge of the trigger? Or does the trigger still pass through?

Is the arrow knocked to the trigger?

Where is the trigger on the trigger?

All new to me.

A LOOP is created on the string that the release clicks into ..typically directly behind where the arrow clicks onto the string..

I actually use a SCOTTS release called the "little mongoose".. on mine, the trigger is on the side of the release..mine is more of a cylinder shape ..once at full draw and you get the sight on target, hit the trigger, off the arrow goes...

see below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Y5QkC8A6w

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#307624 - 11/11/17 05:34 AM

I 'went' the "Unlimited" route years ago, after contracting tendinitis in both elbows. My hard kicking, heavy draw (82 & 74)long bows took their toll. I couldn't shoot for 2 years while I was recovering.

I started out with 3 or 4 different solid releases that looked interesting - without triggers, the guys called "hook releases". The green one in the picture looks like one. I didn't like them, each to his own.

Unlimited in target shooting means:

1st bow for that was a Darton Lightning set at 60#
adjustable trigger release
optics ie: peep and magnifying lenses fore and aft
36" stabilizer

I could never shoot a group as it was too hard on arrows with "Robinhoods" happening almost every group. I had to shoot 3 spot targets only. I shot quite a few 300/300 on indoor nights - too easy. At that time, I was shooting Easton 2512 X7 arrows.

This got pretty boring quite quickly so I reduced the length of the stabilizer to 6", got rid of the optics, kept the peep sight, and had to contine shooting the 3-spot target.
Shot a few 300's with that set-up and averaged 288/300 for the season -still too easy & not much of a challenge.

I then removed the sights, and went with fingers & flexible plastic 'arm(rest), necessary for fingers. By then I shooting a Hitec Pinnacle, which I still have. My average was still in the mid 270's, but this style of shooting was much more demanding of me. It was as accurate or more so out to 50yards, than a handgun, it seemed. Anything I looked at, got hit. During the year I shot this class, "Bowhunter BareBow" I became fairly good at it and due to using fingers and canting the bow as if it was a longbow, became very fast with it as well. It was almost as fast as a longbow, but much more accurate & harder hitting. I'd switched to Easton 2315's at 550gr.

Shooting a compound with fingers and no sights, with practice, will allow shooting tea-cup size (8-ring) groups at 30 to 45 yards. 3 fingers under, concentrate on the target and 'centre-hit'.

I do have to compliment anyone shooting big game with a bow - any bow. I never have, only small game - bunnies and gophers.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#307626 - 11/11/17 06:07 AM

Quote:

Shooting a compound with fingers and no sights, with practice, will allow shooting tea-cup size (8-ring) groups at 30 to 45 yards. 3 fingers under, concentrate on the target and 'centre-hit'.

I do have to compliment anyone shooting big game with a bow - any bow. I never have, only small game - bunnies and gophers.

I was a bit different in that I always shot 1 above, 2 under..probably as that is how I was taught back in the day...

Agree--its still a close game..getting 30-50 yards or less to a wild game animals is not that easy...

Ripp

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

#307630 - 11/11/17 09:28 AM

Release is a Nock 2 it thumb release. Best one I have ever used. The idea is to pull your whole arm and shoulder back and not just the thumb so you get a surprise release. Or you can just punch it with your thumb like most people do. Groups get much tighter when you control that urge to just smack the trigger and allow it to fire by squeezing your shoulder blades together. Thats what I found anyway. I like a release like this because you can hang it on the d loop and it is there and attached when you need it. Still get the recurve out regularly and shoot fairly well with it. I shooit the 1 over 2 under bud have given the three under a go. Way more fun with the recurve.

DarylS
.700 member

#307640 - 11/11/17 06:08 PM

Thanks for the closeup on the release. I did not recognize the parts before. Carbon arrows?

--------------------
Daryl

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #307859 - 17/11/17 09:09 AM

G'Day Fella's,

\Most impressive Claydog, and thanks for sharing.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4212

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com