Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: NitroX]
      #283163 - 01/06/16 03:25 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#299256 - 19/04/17 12:11 PM

Quote:

A celebratory dinner that evening. A bottle of Barossa Valley Estate E&E Black Pepper Sparkling Shiraz (phew that is a long name!) opened, chilled from the fridge. This wine is a super premium Barossa sparkling red that is no longer made by the winery. And a wine new to a Frenchman! A sparkling red. A traditional Barossa wine.

Also no cooking that night, but Barossa "German" garlic mettwurst, "white pudding" - lebewurst (liver wurst), lachshinken (smoked cold ham) , duck and orange pate, cabernet paste (these were both from Maggie Beer), a=marinated calamari, vintage cheddar cheese and crackers.

Followed by coffee from an Italian cafemaker, cognac for me and Irish Whiskey for JB and a big cigar each.

Good to enjoy a successful day. And a really fun hunt. The buffalo bull kill was quite exciting.

JB celebrating his first water buffalo bull.

Went looking for some past images. Found this post and it made me hungry. Could even smell the food.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#299288 - 20/04/17 02:18 AM

Just enjoyed re-reading part of my own post, page 3. I see it DOES need proof reading and editing.

I actually enjoy the desert drive a lot. And do like doing it myself. As then I can stuff around as much as I want. Too often travelling with other guys they have a mania for "doing as many kms as possible non stop." "Lets do it in two days" And you see that driver nodding off at the wheel but refusing to admit it.

Too painful to have to spend three to fours days in a vehicle with dickhead(s). Have done it with good mates, and my wife, and it is all good. One with two strangers, put me off the experience.

On the other hand hunting in the bush for seven days or fourteen days, especially sitting in camp at night and without MY DOG!!! Not preferred. Best always to have good good mates who can talk and are easy going.

I drive when and for how long I want to. Then have to make some big drives to make up for the wasted time. I smoke way too much. Listen to excellent and long audio books. Enjoy the mountains, deserts, wildlife, flora and fauna. Make small sidetrips or detours. Have a steak for dinner, or eat lunch while I drive. Sleep in the swag in the bush, or stay in a nice place, maybe even historical. Next time I want to do a couple day stop at a site or two in Central Australia. Central Australia is at least a two week trip by itself without the drive up and down included. Have done it several times and love visiting old or new places.

Would love to be able to take it nice and slow and really easy. Stopping off a lot. Easy to find a trip extending well beyond four weeks that way.

And those stop offs mean less time for hunting, shooting, fishing, visiting Top End places. LOTS of things to do in the Top End. I'm not a rush, kill the beast, take a trophy photo, rush home sort of person.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#376627 - 10/05/23 09:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

JB's/larcher's water buffalo horns hanging in his house in France.

Thanks to Claydog for cleaning these up for JB and arranging freight to France. Good bloke.

Hopefully we will see JB here in Oz again in the future and find for him a great big monster for the wall.

We need JB back here again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North [Re: NitroX]
      #376629 - 10/05/23 09:23 PM

Quote:

The remains of the old Stuart Highway. I drove this route the first and last time in April 1984. The "highway" at the time from Kingoonya to just South of the Territory border was a dirt, gravel and bulldust track, full of road corrugations, holes filled with slippery and fine bulldust which filled the Landcruiser through any small gap, raised cattle grids from the road being worn down on each side. It was fun, but took us 24 hours of non stop driving to drive to the border. Car wrecks littered the side of the road from the unwary. At night every here and there were campfires of the occaisonal travellor camping for the night.

It was cool and adventurous compared to a surfaced road.

Returning from that trip in May 1984 we avoided this route and took the Oonadatta Track instead, another dirt road, but actually better though longer, by a round about way.

We didn't know at the time that the Stuart Highway had actually been finished while we were away and it was now all surfaced, the same highway as today.

I wonder if this old road can still be driven. Might be "fun" and relive memories from 1983 or 84. 4WDing clubs would know. Some 4WDer enthusiasts only try to drive the old rough tracks for as much of a drive North as possible.

I think the speeds would be much slower. Even slower than when it was a "highway". A trip in itself, never mind the destination. Probably better to drive with a partner vehicle. Might not be many other vehicles, a month of waiting might become tedious.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25447

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com