Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
stug
.275 member

Reged: 20/08/14
Loc: Canterbury, New Zealand
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: larcher]
      #270731 - 20/09/15 12:26 PM

Thanks for that, nice to hear the same hunt from the other perspective.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: stug]
      #270746 - 21/09/15 02:00 AM

What a great vacation, one I've always wanted to experience. I thought Montana had wide open spaces, wow!
John, your account of the trip opened some questions for me. You mentioned a couple times about fresh water and salt water croc's, is there a genetic difference, or just a preference for one location or the other. Is one more dangerous than the other?
How difficult is it for a non-resident to bring their own firearms into Australia?

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: aromakr]
      #270748 - 21/09/15 02:23 AM

aromakr

The salt water crocodile (saltie, Crocodylus porosus) is a nasty critter and definitely dangerous.
The fresh water crocodile (freshie, Crocodylus johnsoni) lives in fresh water only. The largest ones reach the size of 3m. Their snout is narrow and they mostly eat fishes and amphibians. The largest ones can prey on wallabies. They aren't maneaters of course, but some minor accidents occured, when humans where slighltly bitten by freshies.
The best move is to stay clear of both those reptilians.

For bringing a rifle in Australia, John prefered my not bringing any. He can best explain why.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (21/09/15 02:24 AM)

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #270776 - 21/09/15 08:05 AM

aromakr
Its no big deal to bring a gun over. PM me if you like. Here is a couple of snaps of Larchers horns. Just a final scrub and ready to pack. From Larchers posts on this site I had expected him to have horns like this growing from his own skull. Turned out to be one of natures gentlemen.

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Claydog]
      #270786 - 21/09/15 06:55 PM

Larcher, a very well told story along with all photos. Its great and interesting to follow yours and Johns buffalo hunt!! /Staffan

larcher
.416 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Sville]
      #270789 - 21/09/15 09:59 PM

Quote:

Larcher, a very well told story along with all photos. Its great and interesting to follow yours and Johns buffalo hunt!! /Staffan

The difference being that I don't elaborate, sort of teasing, in order to answer further questions. John is an honest guy and is bringing lots of details. The good thing is that that way should I forget some parts of the hunt, I just have to read John's report.

Hi Clayton,

I don't know how to express You my gratitude. Never have I got such a royal gift, and YOu even get to the extra mile of cleaning and shipping my badly awaited trophy. I do recommend to all the forumites to book with Clayton. A heart of gold and a guy who knows what reading the bush is.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #270800 - 22/09/15 01:25 AM

Larcher, John, thank you very much for the most impressive narration and excellent pictures - what a read - enjoyed it all.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: DarylS]
      #270808 - 22/09/15 04:50 AM

Marvellous, the spirit of adventure is alive and well!! I am most envious. Thank you!!
Karamoja

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #270834 - 22/09/15 08:01 PM

Quote:

For bringing a rifle in Australia, John prefered my not bringing any. He can best explain why.

Hi, haven't been on the internet since last week due to work and work travelling.

Usually a reasonable amount of time is needed for paperwork for firearms to be done. The amount of time left when things was confirmed was too short for JB's visit. Otherwise JB could have brought a rifle himself.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: NitroX]
      #270835 - 22/09/15 08:08 PM

Haven't read JB's story yet, but I DON'T believe I took this photo with that angle! If I did I can manipulate the photo and adjust it back to level ground!!!

It will be interesting to read JB's account. My own account is not necessarily strictly chronological as I sometimes forgot which we did what, and usually combine experiences in a story to make it work. Usually warts and all but sometimes not everything.

Looking forward to reading the posts possibly later tonight.

I was lucky to get back to the station a few days later after JB left, and will still post on my own solo hunt. Plus the drive back including some lunacy posts of what to do when driving back solo for four days ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #270846 - 22/09/15 10:42 PM

John and JB, this is one of the truly great posts on this forum.
The photos and narrative tells the story in such detail it almost feels like one was there observing the whole adventure.
Again, thanks to both of you for sharing this adventure with us.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

larcher
.416 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #270860 - 23/09/15 05:00 AM

thanks all

I agree with John that chronologically we are unsur of being accurate. What's sure is that we opted for the more solid options, changing places for not to let buffulo guessing our pattern. But after all we convey the feeling of this safari.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #270875 - 23/09/15 06:09 AM

Glad to see you had a good time here Larcher!
Got your trophy too so that really is a bonus - well done.
Cheers
93x64mm

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #270892 - 23/09/15 04:36 PM

A very readable and enjoyable thread. You sure do cover some distance traveling to and from the top end.

Larcher and John I am glad you enjoyed your time in the Territory. Well done gents.

larcher
.416 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Rule303]
      #270906 - 24/09/15 04:29 AM

Thank You all

My feeling of once in a lifetime top experience : can I politely ask those foreigners who hunted in Australian whether one's safari was "polluted" by the Australian experience. To be clear, You come in Australia for hunting and You end up with being so happy to be in Australia and socialize with Australians, that eventually hunting is no longer your priority???
It was my case and I wonder whether other people felt the same? Turning from a hard core hunter to succumb to the Australian way of life and clearly not regretting it.
Also in my case being graced with getting a nice bull,icing the cake.

Exceptionnaly my question is serious?

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #270911 - 24/09/15 05:36 AM

Looks like a great story and awesome adventure..congrats...

All the better to share it with someone you know..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270920 - 24/09/15 08:26 PM

Quote:

As bringing a rifle in any country is ever a pita, following John’s advice, I opted for bringing a bow and arrows instead of my 375 Sauer.

Maybe Clayton can give a brief synopsis on what is needed to bring in a rifle if flying into the NT OR hunting into the NT but flying in through another city?

I mentioned to JB that I could loan him anyt rifles/guns needed. He elected to do this. While there was a number of weeks before the hunt, the time was short for paperwork etc to be organised. But Clayton maybe can elaborate or inform us on this or otherwise.

Quote:

In the airport hall I tried to call John, but my phone for a while refused any connection, what brought some stress, as John had told me he was not sure to arrive in time. Anyhow 15 minutes later (2 cigarettes) he arrived.

Not bad timing considering three and half days of driving and 3,050 kms to get there! But it was actually two hours late, except a longer than I thought immigration and customs time for JB cut it back to 15 mins.

Quote:

A cheerful meeting of course. On the parking lot I discovered his monster Toyota laden to a point one can imagine, the inside as well as the top rack. Sure we won’t lack any thing.

Yep too much stuff! But I had intended to stop before the airport and move my swag and duffel bag to the roof rack before hand. Arriving later prevented that. Two fridges is a large use of space. Only one brought meat back , and the second didn't freeze at all UNTIL I arrived home (!!!) and it was running from the power for a couple of days. Meat in it could have spoiled anyway. A borrowed fridge/freezer. Engels are so much better.

Quote:

Now it’s time to be honest. I can read English without needing any dictionary. I can write English more or less. But I am not accustomed to hear English. When meeting John who speaks real English with a slight Australian accent, I was hardly able to understand 75% of what he was saying.

JB was incredibly good with his understanding of English, or at least good at covering when he didn't!

Quote:

Clayton had us scuttled the most part of the ranch to get us accustomed to this fenced territory ... He showed us 2 places along the main river where we can camp. He gave us 50+ lures (rapalas) for fishing barramundi, a trident for fishing prawns and an iridium cell phone, and the absolute weapon, a garmin GPS logging the tracks, the rivers, the fences, and the best hunting spots.

Fenced as in normal cattle fences. While at the time I didn't care with hindsight, I am disappointed to not do any fishing! A good excuse to make another trip and spend some time fishing on some of the rivers and estuaries. A boat does make the later more productive though. Also have been looking at some NT tourist websites and would love to visit some of the places I haven't before and revisit some others, some swimming holes, etc. My wife isn't a camping enthusiast so such trips are often difficult to get going.

Quote:

We set our camp close to the river in a place where the river is very narrow and shallow, the clear running water allowing US to have a bath without being puzzled by possible crocs.

The river here actually was a little unusual, with a lower river bed and another a metre higher on the opposite side. The river divided for a distance, with one flow being higher and rest lower. Some small waterfalls cascading down right near our camp.

Quote:

Setting the camp was a grand moment for me. John brought whatever You can imagine. 6 guns, fishing gear of course but tents, sleeping bags, 1 freezer-fridge, 1 fridge, a generator, a 3 fired stove, comfortable chairs and table………along with varied food for accommodating demanding customers for a month……along with whatever cooking ustensils you can imagine. Cold beer and wine,……….incredible, that has to be seen to be believed. John presented me with his 375.

One disappointment was not to get out the camp oven. We didn't have a camp fire at all in the camp. It was quite cool at night and a campfire does add a lot to a camp, and definitely should have got one going. There was a lot of dry grass, and I definitely did not want a bushfire on our host's property. Closer to the creek would have been safe as the grass was absent there. Not sure about firebans in the NT (?). I had hoped to cook up a nice campoven buffalo stew or curry but one needs to actually shoot a buffalo for meat for that. And spend the time getting the coals organised. It is nice if in camp at lunch to get it organised, bury it with coals, and in the evening six hours later uncover it for a nice Sri Lankan curry, a goat leg roast, venison stew etc.

Quote:

And no mosquitos to pester us.

Not for JB but as usual the mosquitoes bit me, but only a dozen or so times on this trip. I had related to JB about my first trip to Gan Gan on the coast in NE Arnhemland and being bit several hundreds of times on my back ... mosquitoes do like me.

In a swag under the stars was glorious though. I've never much used a tent in the NT, but good to have one, and carrying at least mosquito nets is essential if they are there, there may be hundreds buzzing away.

Quote:

I realized that hunting in dry land isn’t easy when one want to move noiselessly.

I forgotten about the cornflakes that littered the ground almost everywhere. The dry grassy areas were sometimes a little better.

Quote:

The days later, we tried our luck diagonally opposite close to the second river where a young bull was often looking at us at 50m. More fresh tracks there. We persisted in this area, looking for a brook that in fact was dry. We made a terrible mistake with this brook but John perhaps can explain it, we were so dumb!!!!!!

I mentioned in a post. But one reads or watches TV where people talk about walking in a circle ... they are so dumb .... yep .... we followed the dry creek North, at one point had to leave it as the bush was too thick beside it. Came to a dry clay hollow. Seeing some trees in the distance to the East thought the creek must have bent that way.Actually we were on a smaller creek not on the map which did peter out. The creek we wanted was further East. Somehow we managed to walk South again and hit the river we started from ... finding it, thought "Wow this is a big water hole. Walking along it, it went on and on and on, and eventually, thought something was wrong. Pulling oyt the GPS it showed we had walked a lovely loop back the way we have come ...

One should realise the sun was in the wrong direction when walking. Funny thing, later in the day heading back to the vehicle and track, I could really feel a pull to walk with a clockwise bent, it was almost physical. I have a compass on my watch strap and checked often. And when JB was walking in front, I could see he too was getting "pulled" to the clockwise, checking against the compass. It was strange. Never felt that before.

BTW this countryside here was flat and featureless except for tracks, fencelines, rivers. But one could always find one's way out by walking properly in a direction to strike a trackline.

Quote:

This place was to be hunted thoroughly as haphazardly looking for solitary trophy buffs failed. Also 2 wild cattle, but we let them alone, not wanting to shoot and alert the buffalo.

Two younger bulls found in the forests during many kilometres of walking. Other than that, the herd on the wetlands, and the six buffalo running nearby our camp one morning.

There is another spot on the property which from Clayton's comments before I returned later which might be promising. Also we never checked large sections of the two creek systems.

Quote:

Sadly during my approach, I bumped my quiver against a branch and the bull got startled. No chance for a close approach for shooting with the bow. I resorted to the rifle, but the bull was now upset and slowly departing. At 60m broadside, I shot it behind its right shoulder, he marked and trotted away. In this circumstance, I lacked judgement. I was waiting for him to fall down and didn’t shoot again, especially because I am not an adept to the Texas heart shot. Beyond 100 m he stopped broadside and both we shot. He came a bit toward us and I let go a raking shot when he was quartering toward us.
He then galloped in our direction. John was clearly ahead of me, so only he could shoot and he knocked it over, a clear impressive dead right there. What a lesson, this Australian buffalo are incredibly bulletproof compared to the African’s.

I remarked in a post I did not think the slight metallic noise was enough to alert the bull. But these buffalo have been heavily hunted and are not the quiet Arnhemland buffalo that rarely see humans. They will run, flee, at the slightest scent, noise or sight. We learned this quickly. Only the two young bulls earlier in the forest stood around staring at us from a distance though. But JB's bull was definitely trotting off but thankfully did not know what had caused the noise and stopped to look back.

With buffalo, if they don't go down on the first or second shot, or at least stopped standing, yep, it's all guns shooting. If they're running, it could be hours to find them again if at all. My own buffalo will illustrate this.

Actually it was funny and made me nervous, that Clayton had told me, "good luck" with regards to JB wanting to bowhunt a buffalo bull and I had to back him up !!! Sometimes they fall over and sometimes they refuse to no matter what. JB however is an experienced bow hunter, including elephant, and showed me a very dramatic video on his phone from Zimbabwe, where his friend got squashed by an elephant, but was hunting again a week later with every rib broken and other injuries. So much for the weak "French" jokes we keep getting plagued by on the internet. A pity this video will probably nver be shown on the net by the outfitter who owns it, as it has to be the most dramatic I have ever seen.

Quote:

That was a collective shooting and definitely better fun.
You can’t imagine how I was pleased after 6 days of scouting the whole area to bag a nice bull with such an indecisive shooting, my spirits going high, low and high. Pure joy. Not a coveted trophy, but for me an incredible souvenir of a memorable week of hunt and sharing friendship. We spent the afternoon cleaning the trophy and lazing. And what a memorable dinner!!!!

I was more than pleased to. I really enjoyed the hunt and hunting but it would have been disappointing for JB not to get into some buffalo, and even better take home a bull.

The cattle station hunting is not as productive as the coastal wetland regions in Arnhemland. It can be hard hunting to get a bull in only a week, and some luck needed to. I think this bull was quite good for the area. On a nearby station an 'outfitter' operates and the photos of the trophy bulls are similar to this one. The landowner told me a few days later over three hundred buffalo had been shot on his station in recent times. Big efforts to remove a lot of them as pests.

Quote:

I regret we couldn’t shoot another buff for John, but that he managed a couple of days later ...

That wasn't a problem at all. Was very enjoyable just being out hunting and in the bush.

Our hunting kit. John was using his famous double and no less that a 20kg rucksack full of whatever items we might use, let alone every pockets filled. A no nonsense guy, and a strong guy too. My kit was light, the 375, my bow and arrow, a knife, my binocs, a cam and a bottle of water. Not more. John acted as guide most of the time.

I will list out what was in the pack in a later post. A number of things, like an emergency radio beacon, emergency water purifier "strawer", plus stuff. Most of the weight was water in the camelback. I drink a lot, sweated like a pig, dripped like a tap this hunt ... I can see now why some Brit guys wear a scarf, to catch the sweat and wipe ones brow. JB on the other hand doesn't drink much at all. I would collapse on the amout he only drinks.

As for being strong, from JB's stories of hunting in the Alps, imagine carrying not just one, but two chamois or moufflon for over ten kilometres up and down mountains ...

JB was a great pleasure to hunt with and in camp. We wasted hunting time talking too long in the evenings and at lunch. One reason we never got out fishing.

Have met up once before in Adelaide, once North of Oslo in Norway, now in the Top End, where next?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

larcher
.416 member

#271047 - 27/09/15 10:03 PM

quote Actually it was funny and made me nervous, that Clayton had told me, "good luck" with regards to JB wanting to bowhunt a buffalo bull and I had to back him up !!! Sometimes they fall over and sometimes they refuse to no matter what. JB however is an experienced bow hunter, including elephant, and showed me a very dramatic video on his phone from Zimbabwe, where his friend got squashed by an elephant, but was hunting again a week later with every rib broken and other injuries. So much for the weak "French" jokes we keep getting plagued by on the internet. A pity this video will probably nver be shown on the net by the outfitter who owns it, as it has to be the most dramatic I have ever seen.

Bowhuntingwise, I was very confident, having trained extensively and opted for what is undisputed for arrows (reference Dr Ashby). It's typical for people not having seen for real the devastating effect of an arrow, to emit doubts. The only setback would have been an arrow ill placement, what is unlikely on a large animal at 20m. I showed a video clip of an ele charge when in Zim my cousin was in the receiving end. The rights of this video belong to the outfitter, so sorry not to post it.

I mentioned in a post. But one reads or watches TV where people talk about walking in a circle ... they are so dumb .... yep .... we followed the dry creek North, at one point had to leave it as the bush was too thick beside it. Came to a dry clay hollow. Seeing some trees in the distance to the East thought the creek must have bent that way.Actually we were on a smaller creek not on the map which did peter out. The creek we wanted was further East. Somehow we managed to walk South again and hit the river we started from ... finding it, thought "Wow this is a big water hole. Walking along it, it went on and on and on, and eventually, thought something was wrong. Pulling oyt the GPS it showed we had walked a lovely loop back the way we have come ...

One should realise the sun was in the wrong direction when walking. Funny thing, later in the day heading back to the vehicle and track, I could really feel a pull to walk with a clockwise bent, it was almost physical. I have a compass on my watch strap and checked often. And when JB was walking in front, I could see he too was getting "pulled" to the clockwise, checking against the compass. It was strange. Never felt that before.

BTW this countryside here was flat and featureless except for tracks, fencelines, rivers. But one could always find one's way out by walking properly in a direction to strike a trackline."

Extremely disturbing : I think I can say that as John as I have bushcraft experience to not even imaqine to get lost or worse make a round walk.
First explanation, we count on each other and were not as thorough as when alone. In my case, I have no experience with flat terrain lacking hills to a perfect orientation.
As John writes, we were both prone to divert clockwise, any explanation.
And in my case what was absolutely disturbing, HAVING THE SUN IN THE NORTH in the middle of day, and not in the South.

--------------------

Edited by larcher (27/09/15 10:30 PM)

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #271606 - 10/10/15 09:06 PM

Looks like you fellows had an epic trip!

Congratulations on your success! Coulda flown up to see ya's! :P

Interesting elephant story, good to hear he is ok though! Wish we could see the footage.

Confidence is key! Shame though you didnt get one with the bow. Nice work on the one you did get regardless

Ha! The different hemisphere/sun position through you off?

Hope all is well with you guys,
Cheers,
Troy.

--------------------

Rino
.300 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Norway/South-Africa
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Ash]
      #272756 - 07/11/15 12:01 AM

Larcher and John!

Thank you so much for sharing your exciting experiences with us!
It seems like you had a great time together with some nice honest hunting. Congrats with a nice trophy!

This story makes Australia on my "to do list"!

--------------------
Alf Rino Hals

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Rino]
      #272770 - 07/11/15 01:53 AM

Rino has read my own hunt story in a couple of messages. Which I now need to put up here on NE.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
      #272838 - 08/11/15 12:34 AM

Just finished reading the posts, what a top safari and hunt you blokes had. It was a great read.

Congratulations on the buff Larcher. A very memorable hunt for all the right reasons.

Maybe this could be the start of the bi-annual Nitro Express TopEnd Hunt!

Cheers

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Bidgee]
      #278667 - 01/03/16 04:18 AM

Quote:

Just finished reading the posts, what a top safari and hunt you blokes had. It was a great read.

Congratulations on the buff Larcher. A very memorable hunt for all the right reasons.

Maybe this could be the start of the bi-annual Nitro Express TopEnd Hunt!

Cheers

Sounds like a good idea.

I never finished the story so should ... finally ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#278668 - 01/03/16 04:36 AM

"A Safari is not a destination, it is a journey through life ..." & "An exciting buffalo hunt" It ran through my mind

"This buffalo is going to kill me."

The story continues ...

I was invited to hunt with another local Katherine guy. So drove down to Katherine and stayed at a local motel so we could meet up for dinner. Unfortunately he was working on the weekend, actually mustering buffalo, or sorting out in the yards the buffalo they had already mustered during the week. His boss wouldn't give him time off to go for a hunt. So we just met up for dinner and had a good chat and time. His hunting area was actually the station immediately North of where JB and I had been hunting.

So I arranged instead to go back to the same place and look for a bull and maybe some meat for myself.

Drove down to the station house again and picked up the key again to the gate locks. I was staying in town this time on Saturday night as I had booked the motel over the weekend due to the earlier uncertainty and also as the place had been near full the first night. So after the day's hunt would head back to town.

My plan was to hunt the same area where JB's bull was taken but further South, trying out the banks of a larger river South of the swamps where we had seen the largest number of buffalo. Maybe check out the area South of the River as that had been suggested as well. Would stay free and see how it went.

Stopped under some shady trees which obviously served as a fishing spot at times with some line and bits and pieces lying around or in the trees.

The makeshift 'camp'. I had to setup the generator to make sure the Engel fridge kept running through the heat of the day. It was filled with buffalo meat and crocodile. I bought some croc meat from a wholesale butcher in Darwin.

The river is decent sized in this area. One thing we missed out was never dropping a line here to see what would bite here.

I headed out to the East along the Northern bank of the river. There is a fair amount of tangled bush near the water so some pushing through or dodging around the worst bits is required. The forest opens out a hundred to two hundred metres away from the river.

Took my time enjoying myself hunting along and scanning for buffalo or pigs. We never saw a pig this trip but did find tracks earlier in this area in some wet or muddy stream tributaries to this river. Maybe I would be lucky and bump into some pigs.

A couple of kilometres along ducking under and through some brush, I "bumped" into a bull and a young cow, some other buffalo hidden behind. A got quite a surpirse to walk "into them" like that. They were on the South side of the river across some deeper water and lying down in the heat of the late morning sun. Both got up immediately but for once did not run immediately. I knew the inaction wouldn't last for long. The horn on the bull looked nice and large and impressive enough. Excitement built immediately. But with them stading in the deep shade, I could see only one horn of the bull now, the right one. The young cow was covering the front part of the bull, both standing broadside with their heads turned to see what I was, but facing in opposite directions.

I decided I could not wait and raised the Jeffery double rifle I was carrying in my hands and fired at the bull. Enough of his chest was showing in front of the cow's nose to allow a back of lungs shot. The 480 gr Woodleigh Weldcore RN hit him well, but all the buffalo were immediately off. I expected that and hoped the shot was good enough he would drop sooner than later ...

There were some rocky areas to my left further upstream so cross the river there, and headed back to look under the tree and the tracks leading away from it. No blood did I see.

The tracks were pretty evident here plus I knew which direction the buffalo had ran leaving the banks so set off in that direction. The tracks continued for 50 metres and then I hit some solid flat rock and gravel so they were not so evident to me, a skilled tracker would probably have found them like a highway, but not me. I kept in the same direction looking carefully for any sign of buffalo. This was getting a bit worrying as a wounded buffalo could cover a considerable distance.

Waling up an incline to my left maybe a couple hundred metres away I could see something dark under a tree. The binoculars revealed it to be a buffalo. One by itself. It had to be my bull sitting there feeling sick. The rest had cleared out of the area. These buffalo in this area are not milk cows and are very skittish and disappear when they realise humans are about. Hunting pressure no doubt has taught them this.

I covered maybe half the distance to the bull when he stood up. He stood with his head down, obviously glaring at me. I decided to try to drop him by shooting him through the spine above his lowered head .... I missed completely seeing the bullet impact to the right ... and down he came ... straight at me down the hill. A small tree caused him to diverge but DAMN ... he corrected his run to come straight back at me. The second left barrel of my Jeffery fired and again DAMN not even a flinch from the bull. I was pretty sure I hit him. Now I had an empty rifle, so hurriedly pushing the top lever and opening the double rifle, extracted the two empty shells ... also taking a number of steps backward to put a small, quite insignificant little tree in between me and the incoming buffalo, while pulling two more rounds out of my ammo belt pouch and pushing them into the chambers.

During all this I thought, having had some lack of confidence on these hunts of buffalo not dropping as they should when hit!!! "This Buffalo is going to kill me." Not, this buffalo is trying to kill me.

I intended to use the tree if necessary to play a circular game if necessary running to keep the tree between me and the buff while shooting him in the head, if necessary.

Raising my eyes and the rifle, no, the buffalo was no longer coming at me, he was now maybe ten metres in front but twenty metres to the side. I think my last shot had turned him a little and he was no longer intent on my demise. I fired into his broadside as he passed. Again not even a flinch. Off he ran into some thick brush along the river banks a couple of hundred metres on.

Picking up some of the shells, I set off to find him. Approaching the thick brush, I could hear what sounded like a buffalo crashing off on the other side a couple hundred metres or more on and off to the left, back 'inland' from the river.

So decided to skirt the heavy bush and check out that crashing sound. The ground was more open a hundred metres inland and I checked out what I could towards the creek as I went. But it was very thick here and not much could be seen.

I did find some buffalo tracks on the far side and followed them. I ended up covering a good two kilometres and ended up back at the same area as my vehicle except of the wrong bank. The water looks nice and deep at this point and I would not chance crossing here unless pushed.

I was just on the other side from here at this point.

Lots of trails of buffalo in this area, if he had gone well inland I would have some time finding him. OR he could be holed up somewhere closer to the river bank. I had made my way at least a couple hundred metres away from the bank where the forest is far more open.

Now I decided I would search the area right near the creek where the going is far harder. About a kilometre back I had to stop and cool down. Stop and had a quick meal and drink. Doesn't hurt either to let a wounded buffalo expire or stiffen up. So on again. The bush kept getting thicker. At this point I checked the GPS and this damned thick stuff was at the other end of the patch I had earlier skirted where the bull had entered. I had stopped to mark the spot on the GPS before following.

The bush near the South side of the river was very thick near the water's edge.

The riverine brush here was thick. Small saplings with lots of green leaves. Visibility got down to three metres .... then got down to ONE METRE ... I could only see to end of my barrel. Adrenalin was up, "what is that?" a dark log, "and that?" a large grey rock, I laughed to myself I would die of shock when I would probably trip over a dead buffalo I couldn't see until it is at my feet. I continued along.

At some point I decided to head to the right inland and see if a better way in was possible. Perhaps it was, I ended up searching the whole area of the thick sapling "jungle" to no result. There were enough buffalo tracks in the sand and soil to not know which were from my bull.

By now it was getting late. I estimated I had enough time to search the other side of the river and get back to the Landcruiser. I could search the river bank on the Northern side and keep an eye further inland. Maybe the bull crossed the river and I would find him on that bank or inland. If he headed South he wouldn't be easy to find. If I didn't find him this day. I would hunt the same areas tomorrow and maybe bump into him.

Crossing the river again almost at the same place, a few hundred metres further on, "what is that?" There the bull was lying dead in the river inself. I think after I shot him again passing me by and he crashed into the thick bush he continued straight on, down the bank and collapsed in the water. I could not see him as the bank was high enough to cover him on the edge of the river.

Took a few photos and decided to come back tomorrow morning to get the skull and horns. Would be a "fun" carry out by myself and even more fun getting the head off in the water. What else might be lurking in the river?

Got back to the vehicle, again stupidity headed there too close to the river. Will i never learn.

Packed up the generator. Had a cold drink from the engel fridge, what luxury! I was parched. Had a smoke as well. Then off back to town. Arrived in time before the restaurant closed and a night's sleep. On the way close to town, telephoned Claydog and asked a serious question, "how likely or not, is it that the river would hold saltwater crocodiles?" Claydog thought it pretty unlikely which was my guess anyway. He had though warned us not to go swimming in the deeper bigger pools in the rivers here. Also told him my plan to carry in the trifor type winch to winch the bull out of the water. His comment about the trifor being as heavy as the bull's head made me question that plan.

Next morning back at the fishing spot, decided to carry less crap. Decided to take the M98 .375 instead of the Jeffery as it is a lot lighter. Maybe I would still bump into some pigs or more buffalo.

Again stupidly ended up back in the thicker stuff near the river ...

Got to the buffalo and no crocs feeding on it. Good start.

Crossed the river and dumped my crap on the bank. Now started the cutting of the neck to get to the spine as close to the skull as possible. It was harder as only about 20% of the neck was out of the water. Cutting underneath the neck meant kneeling in the brown muddy and full of blood water to reach under in the water. Got quite messy. The bull blew regular bubbles, its lungs and stomach having bloated in the heat and now expelling gasses.

Tried to tip the bull at some point to get at the other side better but no luck. So ended up cutting on that side of the river too with my back to it. If there was anything bitey in the river, I rang the dinner gong with bloody scent for sure. Using a tomahawk again, got the spine severed and the last bit of flesh. Carried the head across the water. Wasn't that deep anyway..

Bloody heavy.

Laid it on the wet soil on the Northern bank in the shade. Got the rest of my gear and spent a couple hours removing as much skins, meat, eyeballs, tongue, brain, jaws etc as I could. Some lovely red meat ants were massing to attack me, so threw them bits of meat to divert them as much as possible. Other bits I fed to the crocs that no doubt inhabited this fresh water river, Johnson's crocs, not salties.

DONE AT LAST.

Covered the bloody skull in a couple of plastic bags. Tied it up with paracord to my daypack as best as I thought, rifle on the other shoulder and back to camp. THIS TIME I would head direct to the track, no bloody thick river brush to fight through. It was heaven to walk the open forest and not have to push continually through stuff. Also the buff head minus jaws, skin and meat was quite light. But the good job of mine tying it to my pack turned out to be deficient so it ended up hanging under my left shoulder with the pack twisted and the rifle on my right.

After a kilometre and a half hit the track and dumped the head there, walking the kilometre or whatever back to the Landcruiser. A very welcome cold drink and a smoke.

The vehicle is always a welcome sight when getting back.

Drive up to the spot where the head was left and tie it on the back roughly. Driving out I detoured near the highway in the property on a boundary fence and dumped the head under a tree hidden from sight. It might be too ripe for town.

Back to town. I was pretty disgusting, my clothes saturated with mud, blood and gore. The restaurant was probably closed at the hotel, so into town for a fast food place. Some chicken place was the only likely looking one and it looked like it was closing. The very very nice young lad inside sweeping up told me they were already closed, but he could still get me some chicken. I probably looked like the creature from the black logoon anyway ....

Back to the motel, a shower and the hot meal. At worst I could have got something out of the food box, but felt like a hot meal was needed. Or could have gone to the hotels BBQ area to cook myself, but again, I was pretty bushed.

Next day, visited Claydog to return his GPS and satphone. Then the start of the long drive home. Dropped in to the station to return the key, drop off some beer as a gift and a chat.

Then drive down to pick up the head. Wrap in well up in layers of plastic, with lots of tape. Keep any stink of a four day drive through the heat of central Australia as enclosed as possible. Would it work ????

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#278672 - 01/03/16 06:01 AM

No trophy photos, these are as good as it gets.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25991

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com