Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North
      #270064 - 06/09/15 10:22 PM

"A Safari is not a destination, it is a journey through life ..." & "An exciting buffalo hunt"

Turned Fifty at the Beginning of August and decided a buffalp hunt was in order.

Claydog from Katherine had invited me to hunt if ever up there and also had invited Larcher in the past so decided to get Larcher along too.

Larcher was coming out for about a week and would arrive at Darwin airport so set off for the long 3000 km drive from South Australia to Darwin.

It WAS the plan to have a leisurely drive over five days ... always good to plan for an early start as ... I missed the first day and only set off at 5 pm on the next day. That left me the evening and three and a half days to do the drive. Three days is difficult from past experience if one person has to do all the driving as it require about 12 hours of driving every day. Four days is fine if all goes well.

Day One, set off at 5 pm and drove from the Barossa, via various small towns in the mid North of SA. I had "Lord of the Rings" on the ipod to listen to on the trip and it should last for the whole drive. Good to have big books for this purpose.

Rainy weather and cold when I set off.

First hiccup. Driving through the beginnings of Clare, not paying any attention, flashing police lights, glanced at the GPS or speedo - 70 kmph ... shouldn't be too bad. Pulling over the cop came to my window, asked me what speed, I said 70, he said I had been speeding, and at 70 in a 50 zone, did I know the fine would be $690 and a loss of 5 demerit points !!!! Did I have 5 demerit points left?

FFFFing hell !!! I am not responsible to pay for the bankrupt SA gov'ts incompetence!

I said to the cop, I thought the speed limit was 60. He replied so I knew I was speeding. I said maybe I was slowing down. He replied, so you were doing 80 in a 50 zone. I replied I don't know, I was just doing 70.

Then he started to talk about how he normally did not do this, but he would give a warning only. Drive safely and don't stuff up your trip. I thanked him and drove on.

Good to see some cops still understand that they aren't tax collectors and that warnings are better than ridiculously high fines. Draconian.

Drove on, first stop would be Port Augusta.

Using "writer's licence" and mixing up pics from both the trip North and South. The drive South was more leisurely and stopped more often and at places for photos.

The Road North ...

Gibber plains of Northern SA.

Northern SA road - "the long and not so winding road" ...

You find most drivers finish their outback drives before dark. The outback roads can be risky as often the roads are unfenced. Kangaroos are a risk. Cattle, horses, donkeys and even camels. Camels are especially bad as they will end up in the windscreen if struck.

But I wanted to make a good dent into the distance the first drive, and was aiming for Marla. Marla is 1,050 kms and about 11 hours without breaks. Having started so late, it wouldn't be possible.

Passing some vehicles but mostly semi's and road trains, they don't have as much issue with hitting animals. Actually it is often good if you can get up behind a road train going the same way. Usually have to drive slower but they clear the road.

The remains of the old Stuart Highway. I drove this route the first and last time in April 1984. The "highway" at the time from Kingoonya to just South of the Territory border was a dirt, gravel and bulldust track, full of road corrugations, holes filled with slippery and fine bulldust which filled the Landcruiser through any small gap, raised cattle grids from the road being worn down on each side. It was fun, but took us 24 hours of non stop driving to drive to the border. Car wrecks littered the side of the road from the unwary. At night every here and there were campfires of the occaisonal travellor camping for the night.

It was cool and adventurous compared to a surfaced road.

Returning from that trip in May 1984 we avoided this route and took the Oonadatta Track instead, another dirt road, but actually better though longer, by a round about way.

We didn't know at the time that the Stuart Highway had actually been finished while we were away and it was now all surfaced, the same highway as today.

200 km South of Coober Pedy a kangaroo hopped out from behind a bush right beside the front of the vehicle and bang, I hit it in the head and shoulders with the left corner of the vehicle. Getting out the bull bar had protected the Landcruiser, but the indicator light in the bull bar was hanging down. Using some wire to keep it on, must have blown the fuse and the indicators no longer worked. Drove back to find the roo to kill it if it was still alive. Didn't find it, it must have been thrown off into the bush or moved away.

Decided I was far enough and stopped at the next rest stop. Three other vehicles, all caravans or campers were there. Finished day ONE at about 2 am. 622 kms down.

Northern SA scenes

A mesa in Northern SA.

One of the many salt lakes of Northern South Australia, but a tiny one.

An emergency airstrip utilising part of the Stuart Highway.

Slept in the Landcruiser that night. I had unrolled the swag on a cargo box where the rear seat would be. Damned it was cramped though. The car was nice and warm and did not even need the sleeping bag. Woke up iun the night, I did need the sleeping bag now. Later wokle up again and there was ice formed on the windscreen. It was getting down to minus 2 or 3 celsius in the Northern SA deserts these days.

Woke up later than planned, everyone else was gone and a road crew was spraying weeds at the road stop.

Drove on and reached Coober Pedy. Had lunch at the roadhouse and found a mechanic, who removed the indicator light and a new fuse put in. Should have known it was only a fuse. I had indicators on the Landcruiser itself so the bullbar one wasn't needed.

Coober Pedy

A blower marks the entrance to Coober Pedy.

Under the gibber plains lie opals and gemstones.

Tantooine on Earth.

Be careful of where you walk!

Now off to Marla. Stopped at Marla for a break and then off again for the border.

Thought the two speed signs were funny, and stopped on the way back for photos.

"In the Northern Territory - Max Speed 110"

But metres further on, speed limit 130 kmph.
The Northern Territory used to have unlimited speeds, and still does on a section of road, but the oppressive thumb of Federal bureacracy squashed it finally to enforce a maximum limit.

Even on the Stuart Highway however the roads are often too bumpy and rough in places for an "unlimited" speed IMO and are nothing like the snmoothness of the autobahns.

I enjoy this part of Central Australia, the region between the NT border and Alice Springs. Arid but with mountain ranges, creeks and often pretty arid bush and forests.

Central Australia

One of the many Central Australian creeks.

Arrived at Erldunda around 9 pm. Erldunda is the roadhouse at the turnoff for the road heading West to Ayers Rock. Had enough of the risky night driving again. Filled up with diesel and decided a good night's sleep in the motel would recharge the batteries better. Didn't make it as far as intended as the previous night' sleep wasn't good enough.

Came close as the motel reception closed 15 minutes later. I needed to buy a phone card to phone home using the public phone boxes and the petrol station was closed already to, at 9:15 pm. One gets used to 24 hour fuel stations but with so little traffic at night in the bush, these places can close anywhere from 7pm to around 9 pm. In the old days one had to plan an outback hunt and carry enough fuel in jerrycans to get to the next fuel stop. Sometimes waiting by the fuel stations for them to open in the morning, after a night's drive.

Day TWO was only 5 hours total driving and 490 kms.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North [Re: NitroX]
      #270066 - 06/09/15 11:24 PM

"A Safari is not a destination, it is a journey through life ..." & "An exciting buffalo hunt"

Day Three.

Left Erldunda at a relative late 8:30 am but was refreshed. The plan was to make a BIG dent in the last two days driving needed. I needed to be within driving distance of Darwin airport, and preferably no more than a seven hour drive, the next day to make it in time to meet JB at the airport.

Drove through Alice Springs, but stopped to fill up and make a couple of phone calls.

Then off again.

The plan this day, was to drive from Erldunda to Daly Waters. 13 1/2 hours driving per google maps and 1,113 kms. When much later in Tennant Creek I telephoned the Daly Water pub to see when they closed and if they had a room. No luck, full. Then the Daly Water Highway Inn. They did have a cabin and were open to 11 pm.

In the distance lies ... more road ...

From somewhere North of Alice Springs, only 886 kilometres to the next turn ... but a turn only off the highway to the target for the night, the Daly Waters Highway Inn.

A common sight on the NT roads, a "road train".

The first time I drove the NT's Stuart Highway, the road was little more than one lane wide. One had to get right OFF the road onto the gravel verge when a road train came from the opposite direction. And when overtaking them, the same thing, pass using the gravel verge. The "fun" old times.

Believe it or not, vineyards in Central Australia, several hundred kilometres North of Alice Springs. These have been there since the 1980's and once produced table wines, now most probably producing table grapes.

Giant Blackfellas guard the roadside at Aileron.

Crazy people try to ride by bicycle the journey, some even walking pulling or pushing handcarts ...

Crossing the Tropic of Capricorn.

A cluster of caravans, they like to shelter clustered together like lemmings for security ...

Some of the lemmings are sexy girly tourists.

Lunch at Ti Tree was an extended process. Had planned to sit down and eat, but it took SO LONG ... the toilets were out of action, so I jumped in the Landcruiser to find a bush outside of town, came back, and managed to coincide with a tourist bus. They were already busy before the toilet break ... so ordered a take away steak sandwish and an hour later, it arrived and ate it while driving on ...

Mixed up my "towns", and thought it was the pub/roadstop at Wauchope. Thirty years ago had stopped there to meet up with a 'local' from home and it seemed nice. Ti Tree is a dive and will avoid it in future trips.

After Wauchope saw Devils Marbles and planned to stop there for a few minutes for photos on the way South.

Stopped off at Tennant Creek to see about dinner. As usual the town is a s-hole and decided Three Ways OUTside of town would be better.

Tennant Creek

Potje's large enough to cook a buffalo whole lie on the roadside of Tennant Creek.

Seriously tourism artifacts from the mining days.

Dinner at Three Ways. A nice T-bone steak.

One of the pleasures of these stops is the lovely tourist girles working at them. Australia allows youth to obtain visas for working holidays. Lots of pretty girls working on working holiday visas in the outback.

Had to make dinner a short break even though the pub there looked inviting, as if I was to make it to Daly Waters, lots of driving was still needed. Another 380 kms and four and half hours per google maps. But less actual driving. But at least a room would be there that night.

Lonely roads that evening, some trucks and a few cars but very few. For a while got a road train to drive behind, but he ended up giving me an indicator to pass so did.

Driving like this can get boring at times, but the audio books make it quite enjoyable.

Arrived at Daly Waters Highway Inn sometime like 10:30 pm.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North [Re: NitroX]
      #270069 - 07/09/15 12:02 AM

Day Four

JB would be arriving in the afternoon so need to drive from Daly Waters to Darwin Airport. 6 and 1/2 hours and 586 kms.

Daly Waters to Katherine. Stopped off in Katherine and texted JB to wait at the airport if I was a little late. Should be rougly on time. Had lunch somewhere, I forgot.

Arrived at the airport and JB was there, waiting only for 15 minutes. Got the vehicle repacked a little, with my duffel strapped onto the roofrack. And away to drive South. The original plan was to stay in Katherine and then meet up with Claydog the next morning. But seeing past experience, without a room booked and wanting very much to have a break and a good dinner, we might arrive there WAY too late, close to midnight, so drove only to Adelaide River and stayed at the Inn there. A good place to stay and a pleasant pub. The room was plain and ordinary but quite cheap.

"Charlie" the famous buffalo in the bar at the Adelaide River Inn at Adelaide River.

Charlie, made famous by Mick Dundee (Paul Hogan) whilst being hypnotised to the ground on the movie Crocodile Dundee passed away in 2000 and now stands proudly on the bar.

Made famous by the movie "Crocodile Dundee".

The 'live' Charlie.

Next morning off to Katherine.

At another roadhouse stopped for a cold drink. They are serious drinkers in the Territory with Jack Daniels available at the bowser ...

Jack Daniel's "on tap"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North [Re: NitroX]
      #270128 - 07/09/15 10:12 PM

Its great to follow your trip, looking forward to see more!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North [Re: Sville]
      #270144 - 08/09/15 04:13 AM

Quote:

Its great to follow your trip, looking forward to see more!

+1

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North [Re: Ripp]
      #270249 - 09/09/15 10:35 PM

Top stuff, looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Jorge_in_Oz
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North [Re: Bidgee]
      #270284 - 10/09/15 01:21 PM

Great pics, awaiting the hunting narrative.

--------------------
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Jorge_in_Oz]
      #270528 - 16/09/15 01:24 AM

Meeting up with the Katherine boys.

Drove that morning from Adelaide River to Katherine and met up with Claydog at his office. He was hard at work ... ha ha ... had a chat and after a while drove off to Pato's where Pato was drinking tea. Saw some of Pato's trophies. Then this time we were off to Claydog's house outside of town. Claydog wasn't going to join JB and I but was going to show us some spots that day. Loaned us his GPS which was especially useful as it did have a downloaded map so we could track our movements. Also loaned us his satphone, which is useful for emergencies. Some fishing tackle.

Drove to the property and dropped in to meet the owner. Then off to have a look around. JB travelled with Claydog in his Landcruiser. Claydog showed us some different spots, river systems, some suggested camping spots.

One of the small rivers on this cattle station. Good clean water, no saltwater crocs but certainly Johnson's crocodiles.

Checked the sighting of the .375 to make sure it was on target. Was shooting a little high.

JB goes forth. The first day we went for a hunt, yes during the heat of the day, but good to finally get out and have a look around. JB being a keen bow hunter carried a bow but also carried my .375 Whitworth M98.

We followed this river system for a few kilometres up river, interesting creek. Even though it is probably fine and no salties I never like entering deeper water and also Claydog advised us not too. Eventually found a spot to cross via an island in the river, using a palm tree trunk as a bit of a bridge. These palms do have very sharp leaves so avoided them. A crocodile splashed in the creek nearby. Heard this one and spotted another jumping quickly into the river. Only freshies. Hunted back South along the creek. Lots of cattle tracks, hard to tell inf any of them were buffalo. No pig tracks at all.

In the early evening drove out of the camp area to check three buffalo carcases someone else had shot to see if pigs were feeding on them. We did leave it a bit late, so didn't check them on foot, but no pigs could be spotted from the track.

Some cattle in the sunset light.

We put our camp up not right near the creek to avoid the cattle tracks. Luckily while we never saw any cows in the camp, these were behind us later, we did find droppings right in the camp some days when returning in the evening.

Even though it doesn't show, these areas are buffalo feeding areas. The recently burned off areas encourage new green growth which the buffalo feed on.

These forested areas are not bad to walk in the heat as they provide some shade and if a breeze blows it almost feels cool. We did have a lot of problems with wind direction on most days. The wind direction would change 180 degrees time and time and again.

A young bull buffalo feeding on the shoots of new green plants on the burned off ground.

We spotted this bull from the vehicle the first day. On this second day, we bumped into him and tried to circle him but he decided to run the same direction and eventually cleared off. Didn't see this bull again.

The property owner had said we could shoot any buffalo we saw. Talked this over with JB and we decided to try to get him a bull first. If you shoot everything you see, you often don't see any of the bigger bulls.

A close up of the bull. I didn't have my good telephoto lens for this trip as it has been misplaced and I couldn't find it. It will turn up eventually. A 8 meg image cuts back OK though.

Buffalo tracks in the sand.

We had made a bit of a mistake of where to walk in so did a bit of a loop to approach an area we were aiming for. A couple of extra kilometres or more of walking but did bump into the young bull. Set off in the new direction, about three or four kilometres to reach a spot where we had been told was permanent water and a herd of buffalo in that area.

The above photo shows an area of "dry" wetland, the palms from a distance give off a clue that water is in the area.

On the edge of some muddy wetlands. Buffalo tracks in this area AND a recent muddy wallow. No buffalo were spotted this evening but they were in the area, possibly even that midday. The swirling winds possibly had betrayed us on the approach.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: NitroX]
      #270529 - 16/09/15 01:56 AM

Next day set off by vehicle for another river/creek system. It had these lovely big pools near the track, actually looks like a substantial river at this point. Even though it probably only has freshwater crocs in it, I can never get myself to trust these bigger pools of water.

This spot is obviously a fishing camp at times, with some bits and pieces on the ground, some line in the trees etc. Didn't try to drop a line ourselves. I did bring a couple of rods and some tackle plus Claydog generously loaned us his tackle. Left these all at camp. But we were there to hunt at this time.

Along the river. Some of the bigger deeper pools peter out and the creek narrows to a stream in places.

Walking up a side creek.

We made a mistake on one walk. Following up a small dry creek, and moving through patches of thick growth, we came to the seeming end of the creek. It was supposed to end up in the wetlands. Thinking the small creek had bended to the West walked in that direction. Hit a substantial pool of water and thought "Wow, this is truly a big water hole" but foolishly turned out to be the main creek again bt further on ... it does pay to pay more attention to the compass and sun direction. So back tracked, found the RIGHT creek which actually had water and followed it along. The satellite photo we had was not detailed enough to pick out these details.

This creek did have pig tracks. In some places a lot of them. Hopefully we would bump into some piggies.

Found a shady spot to have lunch in. Lying down in some shade on the damp earth cools one off a bit. It does get hot during the middle of the day. The buffalo also tend to wallow during these time.

The Jeffery .450 No.2 Nitro Express did feel at home in these places. A gaur is engraved on its plates.

The creek widened out into mudflats. I started to feel hopeful at this point. Some hunting gene started to itch. I did expect to see something soon.

And YES, while it is disappointing to have no photos, we were hunting after all, JB indicated the high grass in front of us. A cow buffalo's arse was sticking out of it. I think maybe forty metres away at this point. Standing still and observing, there were four buffalo in the grass, two cows and two young. Moving when they had their heads down and feeding and not able to view us, we backed away and into some trees nearby and passed them by. Luckily the wind did not play us wrong this time.

A couple hundred metres on, more buffalo, a herd that maybe turned out to be fifteen animals. We had muddy wetlands to our left, in front of us. Dry ground to the right front, but no cover from the buffalo. Observing them we could not spot any adult bulls, only cows and young. One whitish buffalo. There was obviously more buffalo to our left. I used a tree trunk lying on the ground at one point to scan the herd with binoculars, but still could not spot any bulls. Nor could JB. If we moved to the left through the swamps, the wind should still be with us on the other side allowing an approach to see what lay on the side.

So more than a few hundred metres of sucking wet slimy mud. Must be careful on noise. Found lots of wallow holes among the reeds and some shallow pools. Tussocks of grass proved useful to step on, to avoid sinking too deep in the mud when they were there.

Eventually reached dryer solid ground, and could approach the herd from that direction. A good look at the herd, still no adult bulls. Some young bulls were playing around, running to and fro, when one stood and looked at us. Next thing, off they went in a cloud of dust. I do not know what alerted them. I think the wind was good, and we didn't make any noise at that time. Maybe it just spotted us and recognised us as humans. I did not believe buffalo eyesight was that good, on stationary persons behind some cover. But these buffalo I think are hunted a lot and flee at any sign of danger.

A fresh wallow pool.

Walked into another smaller adult bull on the way to the Landcruiser. With hindsight, should have shot this one. A good few kilometres back. And maybe three kilometres back along the track to the vehicle. Flat ground but hot enough.

Back in camp with the sun setting JB is making the coffee and I'm having a coffe in the photos.

One really cool thing about this camp was the clear running water. We used it for washing up but even better was being able to sit in it, wash and cool off. I thought I took some photos of the stream ... but maybe not. Didn't drink it directly but using it to wash pans and dishes, if it had the wrong bacteria it probably would still affect us and it didn't so is drinkable. But still beasties crap in it ...

Pato had said to come to town for dinner that evening and also with Claydog so we set off for Katherine. Getting closer made a call on the mobile, bloody pikers, neither was coming to dinner !!! Pato was away working somewhere and Claydog was tired from the kids running him around. Claydog did suggest the Katherine Club (RSL) for dinner so JB and I enjoyed a dinner there ourselves. Hopefully one day next time with the guys. Back to camp to sleep for a big day the next day.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270530 - 16/09/15 02:55 AM

Next morning the plan was to hit the same area and see if we could find JB a bull to shoot.

Hit on the wetlands / mud flats at a different point. And worked through them.

At one point JB spotted the buffalo, and we moved behind some bushes or trees as cover. Moving forward and to the left a little maybe a hundred metres and a bull was spotted. JB in front stalking, me behind. A clump in front could be used as cover, and allow us to approach close enough for a shot. JB wisely IMO decided to use a rifle. These buffalo are a bit touchy and it would be hard to get within bow range, and while there is cover, not real good cover. Bending down under a branch, the arrows on the bow got caught in the branch. I indicated for JB to stop still and unhooked them. There was a very slight metallic noise, but really I wouldn't have thought it enough to alert the buffalo.

Moving forward, it became obvious the bull was moving away from us, and was alerted. It stopped and looked back, once, then again, and JB took the shot. The shot looked good but it ran off without falling. Then turned and looked back at us. JB took a second shot, and it looked like a hit again. But is was off solidly, I took a shot with the .450 at quite a distance, and it looked and felt fantastic. A huge bang, a thump on the shoulder and a huge cloud of dust behind th buffalo's shoulder. It looked like the bullet had passed through the bull. Later on, worked out it had missed, probably just under the bull but hit a termite mound behind which exploded, but help by causing the bull to come running back towards us, but then to the side.

We gave chase and I know I lost sight of it, JB was reloading the magazine of the .375 behind, I did sight the herd, with the cows and young running off in fright but a bull only walking behind them. Deciding this was the wounded bull, I managed to put a 480 gr FMJ in it from behind, and it fell as if pole axed.

Very pleasing to have it on the ground. I was worried when it ran off that we might have a long long walk and search for it. When I have hunted buffalo in the past, with an outfitter, I never mind if the PH shoots if the bull doesn't go down and runs, or drops and then gets up to run. If a major bone / shoulder is not broken, or spine or brain shot, these buffalo can be very tough to kill and soak up bullets. As Claydog later said, keep shooting them until they are down and finished.

You will see a hole in its rear right hip. This is actually TWO holes. JB's bullet was found lodged as a lump under the skin here and had traversed the bull from the chest. A couple of inches from this hole is the entry hole from my FMJ bullet which probably travelled the full length of the bull and possibly broke the spine.

I was very glad for JB to get a bull. It was looking to me at some points that we would have trouble scoring. The hunt was very enjoyable anyway, very good company, good food, a pleasant camp, JB is a gentleman and excellent to talk with. But getting a bull crowns it off.

Walking away afterwards to go back to the vehicle, it was funny when I checked the GPS ... wrong direction ... it was mazing to look at how we travelled since sighting the buffalo, zig zagging to and fro, never would have realised it without the GPS recording it all. Sighting the herd. Moving to see what was in it. JB sighting the bull. Moving to stalk it. The shot, it running, us running, changing direction, running after it, another shot, the GPS showed us crossing to and fro.

Without a GPS wouldn't be a problem as moving to the East we would have to hit the track after a few kilometres.

Got to get in on the act ...

We decided to walk back to the car, drop off the rifles and extra gear, grab an axe, bring the Landcruiser closer and then walk back.

In the end we decided JB should still carry a rifle as who knows what we bump into. I still brought my camelback as I don't go anywhere without water. Plus GPS etc. Knives.

Then the work started. The lovely red ants were on the bull in the sun, but didn't cause too much of a problem.

JB said he wanted the horns and not a shoulder mount. Later just the bone connecting the horns. And so started to remove the head from the neck. Buffalo have very thick skin. We didn't succeed in getting the right spot to get the skull off the spine easily so the axe was used to finish the job.

A suitable sapling was found. None of the fallen trees had wood which was not brittle. The sapling cut, not softwood either, was used to swing the head from so we could carry it out between us on our shoulders. The distance was not too great, and I have done it before, but it did seem to dig in more than I remembered with a scrub bull in the past, and that was a far longer distance. Some stops to rest the shoulders. And hit the vehicle spot on.

Back to camp, a wash and cool off in the COLD clear running water, lunch and then the rest of the day cleaning off the skull as much as possible. JB did a really good and clean job, removing a lot of the exposed meat. We didn't have any means to boil the head, so hopefully Claydog would be willing to do it for JB or someone who does it for an outfitter. Failing all that I would take it South with me and do it there. About ten days till I got home so might get stinky though. Later Claydog was again very generous and offered to do it for JB. A very good fellow.

But this was the second to last hunting day for JB, so we still had one more day. We might be lucky and find a nice real big bull for JB. Also I did want some meat from a younger animal if it could be found.

A celebratory dinner that evening. A bottle of Barossa Valley Estate E&E Black Pepper Sparkling Shiraz (phew that is a long name!) opened, chilled from the fridge. This wine is a super premium Barossa sparkling red that is no longer made by the winery. And a wine new to a Frenchman! A sparkling red. A traditional Barossa wine.

Also no cooking that night, but Barossa "German" garlic mettwurst, "white pudding" - lebewurst (liver wurst), lachshinken (smoked cold ham) , duck and orange pate, cabernet paste (these were both from Maggie Beer), a=marinated calamari, vintage cheddar cheese and crackers.

Followed by coffee from an Italian cafemaker, cognac for me and Irish Whiskey for JB and a big cigar each.

Good to enjoy a successful day. And a really fun hunt. The buffalo bull kill was quite exciting.

JB celebrating his first water buffalo bull.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270531 - 16/09/15 03:29 AM

Last day, we decided to hunt in the morning and then in the afternoon pack up camp and stay in Katherine in a motel that evening. Meet up with Claydog the next morning, and then drive to the airport for JB to catch his flight back to France. We had enough time for all this, but I know I get nervous about days where international flights are required. All you need is something to go wrong, and time gets short or worse.

We had been checking out the three buffalo carcases from the track but decided this morning to see if any pigs were on it or camped near by.

Three stinky carcases and a fair amount of pig sign. None on it or lying near by. Tracked one of the pig trails and found another carcase further away.

Following some tracks, we headed for what looked like a line of trees in the distance which might be a stream. Lots of thick bush here making it hard to move. I think the line of trees was a stream as JB thought it was but in the end we headed through the bush which was actually passable and hot another stream. I could actually smell pigs before hitting it, but no pigs sighted. Followed it and it twisted and turned and took us back to the main river and track where our Landcruiser was parked.

We had been told a large bull buffalo might be found in a "delta" between two arms of the same river (system) so decided to hunt for it. Interesting creeks, spotted a bird which looks like a pheasant, but I can't remember its name, it flew off before a photo was possible. A good walk, hot and dry, but no sign of anything. Tracks which were probably cattle, nothing big at all and not a pig track in sight.

One of the little creeks we followed.

Eventually decided this was a waste of time and headed back to the Landcruiser.

Cattle on the track camped near our Landcruiser.

The crossing on the main river, a look each way from the Landcruiser during the crossing.

Nitro Express hunts here!

JB stalks the gate.

Away we go, with the spoils of the hunt roped on the back.

Met up with Claydog at home, he generously agreed to take care of finishing off the buffalo skull for us, cutting it back and getting it freighted to KB in France. Along with other clients' trophies.

Good to meet up again, and hopefully will enjoy a dinner or a hunt one day!

Off to Darwin, a long drive and had a sandwich for lunch at the airport and a beer with JB. A smoke outside and then Jb was off to enter the international area of the airport.

It is really good to meet up with NE members, Claydog, Pato and also hunt and enjoy the company of larcher/JB. Thanks to Claydog and Pato for helping set us up on the property

The hunt without a bull was real fun and very enjoyable. But getting a bull finishes it off with a success.

A happy JB with his buffalo bull.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270532 - 16/09/15 03:30 AM

JB's hunt is over, but the safari life journey is not over. More to come.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270533 - 16/09/15 03:31 AM

JB you MUST post some of your photos and any comments!!!

It was your hunt too!

(I haven't reviewed or edited what I have written yet, so if there is anything misspelt, bad grammar, stories which weren't meant to be told ... I will have to edit them out later. )

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270542 - 16/09/15 06:57 AM

JB's bull's horns are quite unusual. The mud obscures it but the base part of each horn is thicker and then at a similar place on each side has a sort of a step and then thinner. Unusual but what caused this?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #270570 - 16/09/15 04:23 PM

Interesting story. Its great reading and and following this hunt by all these pics. Thanks for sharing.

stug
.275 member

Reged: 20/08/14
Loc: Canterbury, New Zealand
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Sville]
      #270572 - 16/09/15 05:14 PM

Great report and excellent pictures.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: stug]
      #270575 - 16/09/15 06:28 PM

Actually quite a lot more photos to come, but the response rate is a little underwhelming ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270583 - 16/09/15 07:39 PM

JB delivered to the airport, I wanted to spend several days in Darwin, so after "roughing it" in the bush decided something different was in order.

While JB finishes his summer holidays in Nice on the French Riviera, I suffered a stay at the Cullen Bay Marina in Darwin with terrible views from the balcony.

I had no idea what the Cullen Bay apartments were and expected a single story motel style resort but no, multi story and I had an apartment on the top floor.

A plus was the washing machine and dryer so spent day one in Darwin washing the clothes so I had clean stuff to wear. Restaurants down at the marina, plus enjoyed a meal in the city itself.

Very much enjoyed dinner one night with Marrakai and Bart.

Seeing I had failed to source any meat during the first hunt, I decide some insurance was in order and visited a wholesale butcher and filled one of the fridge/freezers with a buffalo rump, surloin, three kgs of crocodile meat and couldn't resist a couple of "Flintstones" steaks. Yes very very thick.

I was also talking to an online acquaintance also from Katherine and we were trying to set up a buffalo hunt together at his place of work. Else I was thinking about of returning to the same property JB and I had hunted for a couple of days.

PS the "roughing" it in camp comment earlier was a joke. People seem to expect hunters to "rough it". Finished with that sort if idea when I was sixteen. Now only when necessary.

If I have a guest I expect to try to provide them with a comfortable camp and experience. And the hope of good and fun hunting. The same sort of thing my generous hosts have orovided me with as their guest when visiting them overseas.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270584 - 16/09/15 07:46 PM

Top End bush fires.

'tis the season for fire ...

While staying in Darwin it was possible to see the smoke of several fires on the horizon, and one morning the sky was thick and brown with smoke.

On the drive back down South to Katherine, fires on the road side.

Fires start from a number of causes, ranging from fire control of flamable grass, firebugs, extra tanned 'locals' thinking grass needs to be burned "traditionally", or natural causes.

Something to bear in mind when making a camp is to avoid dry grass areas, as who knows what happens when one is away all day hunting.

Numerous hawks and eagles wheel and saw around the fires hoping to catch fleeing small birds and ground animals.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270585 - 16/09/15 07:48 PM

Quote:

Hey what to do in front of a bushfire, take a selfie in front of the flames ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270586 - 16/09/15 07:51 PM

Quote:

JB's bull's horns are quite unusual. The mud obscures it but the base part of each horn is thicker and then at a similar place on each side has a sort of a step and then thinner. Unusual but what caused this?

First time I noticed the line of blood from the TOP of the buffalos head from behind the horns. No idea where that is coming from. Perhaps I did start to cut through the skin there for removing the head, only an inch width, before remembering, HEY WE PHOTOS!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270587 - 16/09/15 07:53 PM

Quote:

The worst thing about staying in a place like Cullen Bay, UNLIKE NICE with its supermodels in non existent bikinis on the beach, lots of fat old graylings in the pool at Cullen Bay.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270588 - 16/09/15 07:57 PM

BUT ...

from one of larcher's porn threads ... a post about this trip ...

Quote:

Quote:

That one reminds me of walking on a street in Darwin. Carrying some groceries from the supermarket and bottle shop I walked past a station wagon car where the back was loaded up with bags and gear. A pretty tourist girl was crawling out from the back seat out over the bags to exit via the read hatch door. Funny. The back doors must be jammed shut or something. Looking back the guys she was travelling with looked very excited, her boobs were visible on each side of her thin back and after a careful look I could see a very small string on her back of her bikini top ... after another careful look, some cloth could be seen on each side of some impressive flesh from behind ... damn, why didn't I dawdle a bit longer to watch her exit the car !!!

Yep, an old perve.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #270591 - 16/09/15 09:06 PM

Quote:

Actually quite a lot more photos to come, but the response rate is a little underwhelming ...

John, I beleive people are just being polite and not wanting to interupt this very fine narrative.
I find myself coming back often looking for the next "installment".
This is top shelf stuff! Keep it coming.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #270674 - 19/09/15 04:41 AM

Hi friends

Sorry for delaying my report, but I am so enthralled with this incredible hunting vacation that I decided to wait a bit to cool down.

Note that I didn't read John's post , this is my (shorter) report. Seems that we are descripting the same hunt.

A great country, incredible friends and a memorable hunt.

What happens was that I planned 3 weeks vacation in August on the French Riviera with my wife. And bang, John invited me without notice the week before my vacation. That means 4 weeks out of work. The invitation was so great that in 2 hours I took my decision to join him, stealing 3 days from my vacation with my wife.

It resulted in 2 months deeply rejoicing and preparing for this hunt.

As bringing a rifle in any country is ever a pita, following John’s advice, I opted for bringing a bow and arrows instead of my 375 Sauer.

At this point, zeroing the bow was a real challenge. The bow should be potent enough for buff, but must also shoot lighter wild boars arrows atop of buff arrows I won’t go into details but it was a 2 months long 2 hours a day business. My 100# bow even downgraded to 91# wasn’t a good option. Should I be in lesser form I wouldn’t have managed to shoot it. I resorted to my 70# bowtech and did my best to have it shoot buff heavy arrow and lighter one for wild boar or light game. A real fun and depressing quest. Anyhow I managed.

Then came my kit options. John assured me that I didn’t have to bring anything for living in the bush. But the dilemma was still pregnant. How to pack hunting items and hunting clothing, as well as summer clothing for the Riviera. Yes, no choice, I also needed to pack what was necessary to look decent on the riviera with the wife, especially in the posh city, Cannes. I couldn’t fly home and then fly to Cannes. Quite challenging.

I left my home the 6th August afternoon. My wife drove me to a bus station in Germany (18 km far from my home) for a hop to the Frankfurt airport. I was then very pissed.
I decided to pack all my kit in my bow case. Sadly, I lended this case to a friend that was good enough to bring it back the day previous my departure. One hinge on 4 was erased, so I was forced to stick some tape on it.
The temperature was 40-41°C and the tape was getting off, pissing me. A real risk of having all my items lost during the flight.
In the bus, it happened that I was the only customer. Nice to have a bus for oneself but just imagine 2 idiots, the chauffeur and I, alone in an air con bus, prevented from chatting because of the regulations.

At Frankfurt airport, I took off at 10 pm without any hassle and 15 hours later landed in Singapore airport. I refrained as much as possible to sleep to allay a coming jetlag. A 16 hour stay in the airport wasn’t very appealing, so I had a 2 hours tour in Singapore by night. Really worth of it as Singapore was just commemorating its 50 year of existence. Of course I let back my cam in a taxi cab, a cam that I bought 4 months ago in the Singapore airport. Too bad, no way out of once again buying a cam in the airport. The bright side of this annoyance was preventing me from sleeping and this way to cope with the incoming 8 hour jetlag.

Eventually I landed in Darwin at 2 pm. Some jolly moment waiting for my bow case that didn’t come. Disgusted, I made for the lost luggage office when I saw in a corner my bow case. When I arrived for clearing the customs, I was the last and only one. This case of course attracted the customs officers that very amiably asked to check it as it looked like containing a rifle. A 30 second affair. And right now I had my first inkling of Aussies : serious and friendly.

In the airport hall I tried to call John, but my phone for a while refused any connection, what brought some stress, as John had told me he was not sure to arrive in time. Anyhow 15 minutes later (2 cigarettes) he arrived.

A cheerful meeting of course. On the parking lot I discovered his monster Toyota laden to a point one can imagine, the inside as well as the top rack. Sure we won’t lack any thing.
We drove a couple of hours before stopping for the night in a motel. Incredibly, when having lunch in the restaurant, I saw the stuffed Crocodile Dundee buffalo, remaining me of already having had a drink there in 2006.

Monday morning we met Clayton in his office. Most of You know him, but for those who don’t, imagine a young cheerful guy with plenty of humour. He got to great lengths to explain us how to deal in the ranch we will hunt, along with quite a few laughs.

Now it’s time to be honest. I can read English without needing any dictionary. I can write English more or less. But I am not accustomed to hear English. When meeting John who speaks real English with a slight Australian accent, I was hardly able to understand 75% of what he was saying. Confronted to Clayton, I hardly understood 30% of what he said. A real horrific situation, for me and for Clayton. Fortunately friendship makes miracles.

Then we paid a visit to Pato and his family. Happy meeting but I was at lost with taking my part in this cordial meeting because of my struggling with coping with the Australian accent. Pato showed us his 14 foot croc hide and I was impressed with the size of the monster and of the upper quality of the tanning. Sadly Pato had to go to work and don’t count on me to slander on hard working guys. And later, Pato had no opportunity to join us, I regret it, as we could have had a jolly good time.

Then we went to the ranch from Katherine. A large ranch on a flat dry (at this time of the year) terrain. Imagine sort of a triangle between 2 rivers. It’s dry grass in a sort of a forest where small and medium trees grow every 5 m. See the picture.

Clayton had us scuttled the most part of the ranch to get us accustomed to this fenced territory. Up to us to shoot buffalos, as they are there considered vermin, as well as wild cattle. He showed us 2 places along the main river where we can camp. He gave us 50+ lures (rapalas) for fishing barramundi, a trident for fishing prawns and an iridium cell phone, and the absolute weapon, a garmin GPS logging the tracks, the rivers, the fences, and the best hunting spots.

We set our camp close to the river in a place where the river is very narrow and shallow, the clear running water allowing US to have a bath without being puzzled by possible crocs.

Setting the camp was a grand moment for me. John brought whatever You can imagine. 6 guns, fishing gear of course but tents, sleeping bags, 1 freezer-fridge, 1 fridge, a generator, a 3 fired stove, comfortable chairs and table………along with varied food for accommodating demanding customers for a month……along with whatever cooking ustensils you can imagine. Cold beer and wine,……….incredible, that has to be seen to be believed. John presented me with his 375.

I checked it , shooting 4cm high at 100m, what means a rifle zeroed to shoot at 200m. We opted for sleeping under the stars, they well deserve it. And no mosquitos to pester us. Sort of back to the earthly paradise.
The first morning we scouted upstream of the main river. Not that many tracks of buff or wild boars but a good training with coping with the lantanas. The afternoon, we checked downstream.
I realized that hunting in dry land isn’t easy when one want to move noiselessly. What is reassuring is that the ranch is harboring 3000 heads of cattle, and that the buffalo might believe that the noise of our footing is cattle’s.

The days later, we tried our luck diagonally opposite close to the second river where a young bull was often looking at us at 50m. More fresh tracks there. We persisted in this area, looking for a brook that in fact was dry. We made a terrible mistake with this brook but John perhaps can explain it, we were so dumb!!!!!!

It appeared that this east part of the ranch, more watered, was the most promising. Especially a marsh covered in wallows.

So far we saw a scampering herd of cows and calves not far from our camp, the dumb young buff 3 times, and approaching cows and calves and a herd in the vicinity of the bog. This place was to be hunted thoroughly as haphazardly looking for solitary trophy buffs failed. Also 2 wild cattle, but we let them alone, not wanting to shoot and alert the buffalo.

The 5th day in the morning close the marsh when having seen cows and calves we bumped onto a young bull by himself. As next day I’d have to fly back, I decided to shoot him. Sadly during my approach, I bumped my quiver against a branch and the bull got startled. No chance for a close approach for shooting with the bow. I resorted to the rifle, but the bull was now upset and slowly departing. At 60m broadside, I shot it behind its right shoulder, he marked and trotted away. In this circumstance, I lacked judgement. I was waiting for him to fall down and didn’t shoot again, especially because I am not an adept to the Texas heart shot. Beyond 100 m he stopped broadside and both we shot. He came a bit toward us and I let go a raking shot when he was quartering toward us.
He then galloped in our direction. John was clearly ahead of me, so only he could shoot and he knocked it over, a clear impressive dead right there. What a lesson, this Australian buffalo are incredibly bulletproof compared to the African’s.

That was a collective shooting and definitely better fun.
You can’t imagine how I was pleased after 6 days of scouting the whole area to bag a nice bull with such an indecisive shooting, my spirits going high, low and high. Pure joy. Not a coveted trophy, but for me an incredible souvenir of a memorable week of hunt and sharing friendship. We spent the afternoon cleaning the trophy and lazing. And what a memorable dinner!!!!

I regret we couldn’t shoot another buff for John, but that he managed a couple of days later, to my relieve, feeling a bit egoistical.

Next day, we visited Clayton, as cheerful as ever. I thank him very much for this so generous invitation and for taking charge of my trophy to dip, clear and ship it.
John drove me to Darwin from where I flought to Singapore, Zurich and Cannes, full of happiness and nostalgy.
Our hunting kit. John was using his famous double and no less that a 20kg rucksack full of whatever items we might use, let alone every pockets filled. A no nonsense guy, and a strong guy too. My kit was light, the 375, my bow and arrow, a knife, my binocs, a cam and a bottle of water. Not more. John acted as guide most of the time.

What I’ll ever remember is the good time we spent. We hunted reasonably, not hard but astutely. The pleasure was also to enjoy the bush, being free as a bird without any pressure. And most of it chatting no end between friends. John is very heartful, educated and open to the whole world, has a lot of knowledges making him a perfect companion. Every night after a serious dinner, we were chatting about lots of points, a rare pleasure.

Same with Australians. I met them when shopping. All are very cool and friendly, quite different from Europeans.
And now I am just looking to come back to meet John again, and Australia which is a fantastic country that turns You addict of.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by NitroX (24/09/15 06:42 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25839

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com