Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The great Australian Buffalo hunt video

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
pato
.300 member

Reged: 26/04/05
Loc: Katherine NT
The great Australian Buffalo hunt video
      #230218 - 19/05/13 08:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneyeUxzL40

Edited by FATBOY404 (05/06/13 10:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
Re: u tube [Re: pato]
      #230219 - 19/05/13 09:10 PM

The link....she is not there

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: u tube [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #230873 - 05/06/13 10:53 AM

Here is the link and a bloody good video.
Buff with a 308.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneyeUxzL40

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: u tube [Re: FATBOY404]
      #230876 - 05/06/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

Buff with a 308.

40,000 buff with a 308..makes a mockery of those that push the " must have a 490678 magnum"

And before him they did it with 303`s

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: u tube [Re: gryphon]
      #230901 - 06/06/13 07:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Buff with a 308.

40,000 buff with a 308..makes a mockery of those that push the " must have a 490678 magnum"

Yes, but every once in a while you just feel the need to detach a retina..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Re: u tube [Re: Ripp]
      #230905 - 06/06/13 12:30 PM

Ripp head off to Africa for a real one then ha ha

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #230918 - 07/06/13 01:07 AM

Those 147gr. FMJ's seemed to do the trick, didn't they.

From a Match Rifle, they would 'just barely hold' the 9 ring at 200yards.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

Re: u tube [Re: DarylS]
      #230922 - 07/06/13 04:47 AM

Daryl would the fmj`s contribute to the 1000 round ave per barrel he was getting due to excessive wear?

--------------------

controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #230929 - 07/06/13 09:01 AM

Fantastic.

If anyone knows how to procure a copy of this video, please post. I would very much like one.

--------------------
I was born 100 years too late

Edited by controlled_feed (07/06/13 09:02 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: u tube [Re: controlled_feed]
      #230934 - 07/06/13 11:36 AM

The 147gr. bullet had a VERY short bearing surface due to it's BT and long sloping nose. For that reason, most match barrels used by us, were made undersize for shooting that ammo, specifically. These barrels (many Matco's) were usually .3075", .307 and some as small as .3065" or maybe (??) .306" were made and used by the BCRA & DCRA. They were not only more accurate than commercial .308 barrels, but lasted longer as well. When a barrel was found to shoot well with the issue ball ammo, that's usually what that barrel was saved for - registered matches.

In watching the video and the speed of shooting multiple buffalo, that barrel would have been cooking hot in no time at all - expecialy in Australia - and perhaps along with the short bearing surface, boat-tailed bullet - therein lies the answer to short life - most likely the heat though, I would expect.

In similar fashion, I recall the rifle I had to "Qualify" with back in 74. It was a Model 70 A, that had seen perhaps 5 years of shooting IVI 69 ammo. Not really bad stuff - it shot well in my Palma Trophy Match rifle.
The rifle had been used by perhaps 15 'member's and a total of 20 rounds each per year - so that's 300 per year for 5 years is 1,500rounds. We fired 5 to check the iron sights. I shot irons REALLY well back then and was surprised to see a 5" group with a tight sling, prone. I pulled the bolt and had a look down the tube. The CLP saw me and came over - I then exclamined to the CPL - this rifle doesn't have any rifling for 6 to 8" up the tube. it's just a memory. He simpley said "Shhhhhhhhh". They thing it's their shooting. I was one of not very many who got their 'rifles' badge that year.

One 'member' put the rifle into the case after shooting his 'course of fire' (the second or third to use it) and the plastic case melted around the barrel. They were Psssst hot.

So - yeah - that stuff when shot hard and fast, is hard on a barrel, but what isn't when shot like that?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #230942 - 07/06/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

Fantastic.

If anyone knows how to procure a copy of this video, please post. I would very much like one.

CF, there are a number free programs on the web that once installed on your computer will allow you to download any U Tube video while you are viewing it. I have one installed but can't see what it is called at the moment (will try and track down) but when viewing any video on U Tube there is a 'download' button available below the video window.

Edited by eagle27 (07/06/13 03:26 PM)

JeffK
.275 member

Reged: 06/03/11
Loc: Perth, WA
      #230990 - 08/06/13 07:44 PM

Quote:

Fantastic.

Probably the simplest way is to go here: http://catchvideo.net/

then paste in the URL for the YourTube video and save it to your hard disk.

--------------------
Regards, Jeff

controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: u tube [Re: JeffK]
      #230992 - 08/06/13 08:39 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Got it down loaded.

--------------------
I was born 100 years too late

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #234949 - 31/08/13 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Buff with a 308.

Headshot with 7.62 NATO FMJ bullets while sitting on a Landrover, makes a mockery of those commenting on anything to do with actual sporting hunting.

Interesting as the same rifle and round will kill cape buffalo as well with head shots ... and elephant ... FN FALs are the usual rifle used for elephant herd culls ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: u tube [Re: JeffK]
      #234950 - 31/08/13 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Fantastic.

Probably the simplest way is to go here: http://catchvideo.net/

then paste in the URL for the YourTube video and save it to your hard disk.

I use YTD (youtubedownloader).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: u tube [Re: NitroX]
      #234976 - 01/09/13 02:39 PM

If they wanna get rid of buff, just need to let everyone here know! Im sure we'd all jump in the cars and planes and head on up/down/over!

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: u tube [Re: Ash]
      #234978 - 01/09/13 04:01 PM

I agree with Nitro regarding the .308 on buffalo. The shooting in this video is impressive but bears no correlation to sport hunting. My .275 Rigby handles buffalo fine with a good rest and a head shot and so will most rifles. When you are walking around after a trophy its nice to have something with a bit more clout. 308s would hands down have killed more buff up here than anything else and most of the time will be adequate. Its those other times that can really count.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: u tube [Re: Claydog]
      #235011 - 02/09/13 08:28 PM

The interesting video illustrates an argument I have had many times. When people say "You don't need a bigger rifle as thousands of buffalo have been shot with .308's, .303's and even .44/40's ..." usually referring to the "old days".

As the video illustrates ALL the shooting was done from Landrovers, Landcruisers, or with the .44/40 from horseback.

When I have said this, the usual protagonist response has been "So what?!" or some similar 'intelligent' response ...

Well when the wounded buffalo hits the Landcruiser or Landrover it won't hurt the shooter as much as a real hunter on foot. And both vehicles or a horse can run or drive away faster than a man on foot.

Also the guys shooting these medium calibre rifles usually ignore or "forget" when a wounded buffalo gets away again the answer is usually "So What!"

Seen the above, after an internet debate where some guys on another forum insisted their .30-06 was easily big enough. Sure enough more than one buffalo was not dropped and never recovered.

Some people might remember a debate here on NE started by me where a friend of mine planned to hunt buffalo bulls with his "new" Mannlicher in 6.5x54. Some guys insisted my friend not be allowed to use it. Well he knew what he was doing, shot both buffalo in the heart from very close range, and was backed up by a guy with a .416. Of course it can be done, but there are limitations.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ash
.400 member

#235012 - 02/09/13 08:37 PM

John, i admit to always thinking how everyone says people are undergunned, but it seems its cheered for some to use 7mm's etc, if its a "classic" rifle.

Reminds me of a fish keeping forum i was on. Too many fish for a tank = overcrowded. But if that person posted the pic saying it was there "JCM Style" tank everyone was full of compliments.

Im not saying its wrong to use whatever, and not slamming those who use the 7mm's. Am sure they are competent with what they use, so have no qualms. Havent watched the video yet though. Heck, if i lived in buff country and had a 7mm rigby, For sure go for it

Cheers guys.
Again, not criticizing anyone on the forum, or off it.

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #235027 - 03/09/13 08:00 AM

Hope all realised I wasn't advocating the use of a 7mm. Just saying exactly what nitro is saying. That is, you can't say a certain cartridge is good enough because a guy head shooting from a steady rest does it easily. If I am looking for dog meat out of the window the Rigby is fine. On foot for a trophy its the .404 I have seen a few trophies run off never to be seen because guys were undergunned.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: u tube [Re: Claydog]
      #235028 - 03/09/13 08:42 AM

And the people like Tom Cole who did it at full gallop on a horse with a single shot 303, more often than not a spine shot
as the Buffalo charge the horse after he had ridden past it.

A miss and the Buffalo kept coming !!!

Agree with everything else that has been said.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#235036 - 03/09/13 02:19 PM

Quote:

John, i admit to always thinking how everyone says people are undergunned, but it seems its cheered for some to use 7mm's etc, if its a "classic" rifle.

Reminds me of a fish keeping forum i was on. Too many fish for a tank = overcrowded. But if that person posted the pic saying it was there "JCM Style" tank everyone was full of compliments.

Im not saying its wrong to use whatever, and not slamming those who use the 7mm's. Am sure they are competent with what they use, so have no qualms. Havent watched the video yet though. Heck, if i lived in buff country and had a 7mm rigby, For sure go for it

Cheers guys.
Again, not criticizing anyone on the forum, or off it.

Nothing different if it is a classic cartridge or a modern one. Same restrictions apply as to the capabilities of the cartridge/calibre.

The difference may be between the following hypotheticals (actual real examples but re-written - sorry about the sarcasm ):

1. "Hey, me and my mates want to go buffalo shooting. Haven't got anywhere organised, reckon well just shoot off the roads. I have a .243 and a .22, plus a shotgun. Shots lots of rabbits. Reckon am goin to buy a .308 for the hunt. What do you think of this model, black pastic stocked tactical sniper rifle? Do ya reckon it would kill buffalo? My mate reckons a .308 can kill anything. Seen it on u-tube where a guy shot thousands of buffalo with a .308, so I reckon it would be easily enuff. If sum run away after shootin them, who gives a ffff, they vermin anyway. Ta everyone."

2. "My friend wants to hunt a buffalo or two with his newly acquired Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 6.5x54mm. We will be hunting water buffalo and he will be backed up by another guy with a .416 Rigby. My friend has shot and hunted about 27 water buffalo previously about 20 years ago with his .270 Winchester. A rifle he had used on almost everything, from camel to Alaskan elk, bear and moose, in addtion to the 27 water buffalo. He is also a retired butcher and knows the anatomy of a water buffalo precisely. What do the gentlemen of NE think?"

The second one is a real example. Wasn't asking for permission, nor really for information. It was a discussion prompter post. The first is a close to many 'enquiries' on some forums, and is sarcastically paraphrased. As Maxwell Smart said "Sorry about that chief."

No real difference between a .308 and a classic cartridge such as a 6.5x54. A huge difference between the experience of the hunters. And that's the main issue.

I carried a .30-06 for my first water buffalo hunt. A newly acquired rifle. My other rifles were a .222 and a .22. Plus a shotgun. Had cartridges loaded with Norma 220 gr RN FMJ's for buffalo. At least I have the right projectiles for the cartridge. Friends had a 12 gauge loaded with Brenneckes and a 6.5x55 loaded with 140 gr FMJs. Hunted on foot in the dried wetlands of an abandoned cattle station where the owners couldn't make a go of it and just walked away. Open slather on the place. Bit far South for buffalo in those days, and never found a single one, nor sign of one. Fishing was good though. None of us got to try out our less than ideal firearms and even more in-adequate knowledge. So I guess I was similar to example 1 above once, but better grammar and spelling.

One point about using medium calibre rifles. Of making good brain or spine shots, many guys are more confident and possibly their rifles more accurate. One reason (the other being cost and availability) professionals who need to brain shoot all their beasts use .308's. I remember an old story in a magazine when safari hunting first started up in Australia and the Top End. The writer wrote about a crew of professional buffalo hunters. They were using two magnum .300's and a .375. Again were shooting from converted Landrovers.

Last point. I asked one of our Top End NE member's why he no longer used his 6.5x54 on water buffalo. He actually hunts them, on foot, not shooting from vehicles. He said, "all it takes is one incident where it doesn't go well and you learn a lesson about using such a calibre." That's what happened to him.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ash
.400 member

#235045 - 03/09/13 03:27 PM

And to your first example, you'd need about 50 posts saying not to, and then a reply about how it didnt work too well but they got one after wounding a few.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8360

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com