Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #189604 - 10/09/11 09:49 PM

Why?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: kamilaroi]
      #189605 - 10/09/11 09:53 PM

Mr Graham,

still waiting...

Edited by kamilaroi (10/09/11 09:54 PM)

Gaff
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/11
Loc: Darwin NT
      #189709 - 11/09/11 06:49 PM

Kamilaroi,I think you are getting a few descriptions mixed up somewhere unless my 1992 edition of Coggers book is differentt to yours, Western Brown,Pseudonaja nuchalis 1.5m total length, Fierce snake, Oxyuranus microlepidotus 2.5 m total length. A 3m one would be a monster although I have seen a 2m eastern brown.
Coggers book doesn't mention temperament but another book I have by Raymond Hoser decribes the western brown as aggressive but not as aggresive as the eastern when disturbed.It also describes the inland tiapan(fierce snake ) as not at all agressive and more placid than most other deadly snakes.
This just goes to show all the conflicting information there is about snakes.
cheers gaff

kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: Gaff]
      #189787 - 12/09/11 07:52 PM

Gaff,

I believe Cogger uses a mean length excluding juveniles. FWIW I've see and collected EBS over 6 feet and supposing that if they were not resisting then that may have gone quite a bit longer. "Observer" estimation of lengths can be guesstimated but are in part a function of body mass and condition. BTW there is a zoological rule of thumb that states that "in extremis" size is contingent upon extremes of climate. See Chappel Island tiger snakes and the papuensis species for a lead.

Of Hoser I have no knowledge. The issue of aggression is relative to species, most especially circumstance; and season.

regards

Edited by kamilaroi (12/09/11 07:54 PM)

Gaff
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/11
Loc: Darwin NT
      #189789 - 12/09/11 08:08 PM

Yeah you may well be right about the mean lengths, they do seem a bit conservative, a 6 foot eastern brown is a scary creature and If you catch one of them alive you are a brave man, I have grabbed a couple of big ones but they got the whiplash treatment, not that I like killing snakes, they were just in the wrong place and couldn't stay and I wasn't prepared or willing to try and catch them alive.

cheers gaff

kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: Gaff]
      #189802 - 12/09/11 10:10 PM

Yep,

The EBS one I refer to was under a damp towel on my camp out bed at St Albans NSW in 88 and that is in the ADA mag. I just turn em opposite to the noose/hook they try to take to run up and bite you. Real bigguns like Taipans etc try to throw a series of convulsive body movements at your trunk and those I have rarely encountered nor handled. BTW I don't catch death adders or similar short and stout enough to turn.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #195019 - 27/11/11 04:01 PM

Snake season is well and truly here today again.

We've had two inches of rain in the last couple of days, and warm sunny weather today. The ground is steaming.

My father warned me he had seen a snake track in the sand of a deer paddock a week ago and bumped into one of them at midday today. He was near my peacock cage, where there are a lot of mice that feed on the spilt feed for the birds. The snake felt a bit trapped, sliding towards the cage, he did not seem to want to go it ( I believe peacocks kill snakes ), did not go under a water tank for some reason, slid back into the deer handling yards.

Decided to go for a shotgun and some shoes or boots. I was barefoot. Was pretty sure he would be gone by the time I got back there, but I also needed to go through that gate to get to a paddock where I hoped to move a buck into a new paddock and return the main herd back into that field. Especially if there are any new fawns hidden out there somewhere.

Left the dog locked in the yard to his distress.

Walking in the grass was careful a good 30 metres away as you never know where you bump into them. And yes, there he was a good 8 metres in front of where he was previously. He slid and hid in some rocks of an old cow ramp, but I managed to spot his back and cut him in half with the shotgun. The front half with the head amazingly slid off in to some posts nearby. Never seen that before. Had a shot at it as it slid away.

Now this would prove an opportunity to do some snake proofing of Blitzen the GSP. We BELIEVE he is afraid of snakes and jumps away from them but ... put an electric collar on him. Took him to the area, and ran right over all the spots the snake had slid over. Sniffed around. Stupid dog, did not even smell half a snake lying right past where he ran. But went into a point looking at me. Encouraged him slightly to look in that area. He sniffed working into the grass, and ended up with his nose an inch from the cut off snake! Gave him a full no.4 shock on the collar. He lept backwards, a good couple of metres into the air, somersaulting, and landed on his side in the grass. Told him to run away with me, saying BAD ... SNAKE, BAD ... SNAKE etc.

Felt mean, but it is better he learns not to investigate snakes. The blood smell on the snake may have been a bit different this time. Don't want to loose him to these very deadly brown snakes. Will collect the two halves, and give the dog more lessons to reinforce it in the next couple of days. Good to do this every year.

Now snakes in Aus are of course protected. In SA they may be killed if near homes and workplaces etc where they are endangering lives, pets and livestock.

I don't have a shortage of them. No longer running sheep, we have high grass, sometimes up to a metre and half on parts of the property.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (28/11/11 12:19 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #195020 - 27/11/11 04:07 PM

Quote:

Hi Gryphon,

I see you are about to release a new movie......"Death Wish"

Good photos but your a silly B.....

Gryph's new DVD will be titled, "Death at his Feet".

But as I said in another thread, I always feel the need to reach for a shotgun, before the camera. At least around the sheds and house.

Even had to get the shotgun out of the bloody ffffing stupid gun safe and then the shells out a locked box .... due to that stupid ffffhead Howard and his impractical laws. These "safe storage" laws might be OK for the urbanite but impractical on a working farm.

I believe in SA, rimfires and shotguns can be stored more simply, trigger locks, chain through the trigger guards etc. Might be worth doing instead for the working shotgun and .22 Mag.

The better ones are definitely locked away safely.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: NitroX]
      #195021 - 27/11/11 04:31 PM

A good source of information about snakes on the net.

http://www.venomsupplies.com/

This is a local company, only about 12 kms away from me. Most of the locality information is only for SA.

But it gives some useful information on the different species. Plus some photographs.

http://www.venomsupplies.com/first-aid/

Common Brown Snake

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: NitroX]
      #195026 - 27/11/11 06:08 PM

And that front half is still 'bad' until its head is flat as a sixpence.
Agree re the firearms on a farm, yesterday I shot a rabbit thats been annoying me by being in my garden chewing on the wrong things.

Same ritual...gunsafe ,ammo safe.... load up and all the while hoping the germ is still there.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pseudechis
.224 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
      #195034 - 27/11/11 11:39 PM

Dear All,

As an avid read of Nitro Express I have enjoyed the recent snake pics and discussion as I am a professional herpetologist (=reptile and amphibian scientist)and fan of British doubles. One of my specialties is the ecology of tropical snakes about which I have been published in scientific literature. I would like to make the following points.

1. Fierce Snakes/Inland Taipans (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)have never been shown to grow to over three meters. Though sample sizes were small (n=19), Shine & Covacevich (1983)recorded the average length to be 1320mm for males and 1438mm for females, with the maximum recorded adults being only 1700mm. However they probably grow a little larger than this recorded maximum and if anyone has any proof of this, I would love to see it.

2. Coastal Taipans (Oxyuranus scutellatus) have never been shown to grow anywhere near four meters. Shine & Covacevich (1983) examined a large sample (n=78) and found the average size to be 1564mm for males and 1450mm for females, with the maximum recorded for adults being only 2260mm. Coastal Taipans do grow a little larger than this (an old friend of mine had one that was 2900mm long and weighed 6.2 kg!). This specimen died and currently resides in the QLD Museum as the largest Coastal Taipan ever recorded, though remember it is a captive animal. Once again if anyone has any proof of a Coastal Taipan over three meters, I would love to see it.

3. The largest snake ever reliably measured in Australia was a Scrub/Amethystine Python (Morelia kinghorni)that was caught at Palm Cove, Cairns, North Queensland. It measured 5651mm long and weighed 24kg (Fearn & Sambono, 2000). It is quite possible that Scrub Pythons can grow a little larger than this and if anyone has proof I would love to see it.

Here are the following references for the snake data I have presented. If anyone would like a copy of these articles please feel free to pm me and I can get your email to send a PDF.

Shine, R. & Covacevich, J. (1983). Ecology of highly venomous snakes: the Australian genus Oxyuranus (Elapidae). Journal of Herpetology. 17(1):60-69.

Fearn, S. & Sambono, J. (2000). A reliable size record for the Scrub Python (Morelia amethistina) (Serpentes: Pythondiae) in North East Queensland. Herpetofauna. 30(1):2-6.

Lets keep this thread going, for starters does anyone have pictures of exceptionally large King Brown/Mulga Snakes (Pseudechis australis) they may have seen.

From, Dane

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: EricD]
      #195035 - 27/11/11 11:42 PM

Quote:

Great pictures.

If that were near my house, it would be headless within seconds...

Don't worry Eric, you are not the only one.
Eastern Brown particularly.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! [Re: ozhunter]
      #195053 - 28/11/11 05:51 AM

I have a 6' 4" mate holding an E.Brown up,its head draped on the ground and the tail is higher than the mates head,taken with an old Kodak cam its amongst the 1000`s of pic`s in a box upstairs...one day! Pics of the skin @ 10" wide ( from memory?)are with it somewhere also...a bloody big snake is all I can say for an EB specimen..which when of that size we (down here) call King Browns.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16895

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com