Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: Cinghiale]
      #151276 - 21/01/10 01:25 AM

I still have a difficulty seeing how flying into an high elevation location in a helicopter, spotting animals, "dismounting" and stalking them on foot is any different than driving to an area at low elevation {in Africa, Australia, New Zealand or Idaho} in a pickup or an ATV and then making the stalk. Difference in degree only, not in essence, unless there is some aspect of this I am missing.

As for "trophies", just my opinion, but ALL {from every continent} are merely specimens of a given species to me {and interesting for that reason} BUT indicative of no particular skill by the hunter until the method is proven to me. And even then, most trophies are proof of the skill of the GUIDE, not the hunter, unless, again, proof. Most fellows do not hunt in their backyards, they hunt under the apron of a guide/professional, and most rely on somebody else to make it all happen. Box blinds, treestands, scopes, nitrocellulose powder, jacketed bullets, rangefinders, hell, even modern boots and Gore-Tex clothing all fall into the category of technological skill-killers/advantage-givers. So getting to a high elevation on a chopper seems right in line with the Modern Hunter's way of doing things, and I don't understand the vehement disgust some have for this, especially if the fat chopper-guys are effectively and properly managing the game resource and a prosperous business for some enterprising chopper pilot is part of the result of the activity.

I 100% agree about the ease of various hunting methods making for silliness {that is a personal view and my own standards might be a bit more severe than many here I suppose}, but if the helicopter is eliminated from NZ hunting, then it seems only right to eliminate the 4x4 from Africa.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: 9.3x57]
      #151301 - 21/01/10 06:41 AM

Too ture & well said again !

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: Sarg]
      #151338 - 21/01/10 01:18 PM

I'm not talking about using the helicopter for anything other than getting into the location period. Spotting animals from a chopper is BS.

Reread my post and you will see my gripe is about hunting FROM the helicopter, using a helicopter to get into some rugged areas in Westland is nearly the only way to do it!!! In Fiordland you can use a floatplane or a chopper only to get into some of the blocks, The lower Glaisnock for example.

It should be like getting a Supercub in Alaska to drop you at a fly camp and hunt from there. Any other reason to use a helicopter is unacceptable in my rule book.

Possibly a little fanatical but hey I detest behind the wire anything...

9.3x57
.450 member

#151343 - 21/01/10 01:53 PM

Cingiale;

Thanks for the explanation. I absolutely respect your view and am more comfortable myself with what you say than the other side, but I just have trouble condemning it as long as the truth is on the table.

Spotting animals from a heli, landing and stalking seems to me no different than driving around in a Landy looking for heads, and then dismounting to have at them.

I wish all you guys the best.

Just don't let the "Gubment" and his regulations get too involved with your sport. That's a camel you'll never get out of your tent.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Cinghiale
.333 member

#151347 - 21/01/10 03:37 PM

Cheers 9.3,
I think this opens up the pandoras box of what is ethically hunting and what is shooting and then what is something else entirely.....

MOG

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #151351 - 21/01/10 05:35 PM

All good stuff coming out here, and I guess the point I was trying to make in my rather long winded post is that heli-hunting in it's two worst forms of spot, drop and shoot, or spot, shoot and retrieve would never decimate our game animals. There just would not be enough hunters willing to come all the way here, pay huge money and shoot animals. After all as I pointed out, even culling from the choppers day after day, week after week, year after year, could not achieve that. Trophy animals were still being taken by hunters all through the heyday of chopper culling.

I myself shot a fifteen year old chamois buck right in the thick of the chopper culling territory in South Westland and the local chopper culler in the same area, shot a huge 24 pointer heavy timbered red stag not 5 km away from the chopper base and in the flyover pathway that the chopper had taken to get to the culling areas for probably 10 or more years.

We have just such huge untapped areas where animals can live for years without ever being seen by choppers so while I wholeheartedly support the concept of keeping hunting 'pure' I'm not alarmed by these sort of developments and feel NZ is unfairly targeted by anti chopper feeling.

9.3x57 has summed it up so nicely.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: eagle27]
      #151360 - 21/01/10 07:18 PM

Eagle you have to live with this so its more your fight than mine. I just know I would feel gutted and be out for blood if I were hunting and having slogged it out for days to get to a Tahr and just as I am about to shoot over pops a Helicopter and scares my animal away from me and then shoots it and flys off!!!!

Maybe the areas for ground hunter only areas should be better enforced by DOC, and strict guidelines adhered to for all sides?

I will come and try without a chopper and report back in June with my finding in the meantime please keep us informed of any developments on your side of the ditch.

Regards,

MOG

Sarg
.400 member

#151368 - 21/01/10 08:46 PM

Eagle , thats not quite true mate , Thar were almost exterminated in the late 70's early 80's , culling & commercial recovery took a heavy toll , the Deer Stalkers even campaining to save them !

I worked & hunted on two of the main Stations & a Thar was a VERY hard thing to find , like none on one & only a few by the homestead on the other , now hundreds , down a bit from a few years back .

Live recovery , for hunting parks hits the trohpy animals hard , Chamois badly as a R22 can get a good load being nice and light , cheaply .

The take by machines almost wiped out the main land Whitetail of both sexes , more so Bucks on the tops in the velvet on long Summer days !

Cinghiale
.333 member

Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: Sarg]
      #151369 - 21/01/10 09:16 PM

Hey Sarg,

Can u give me the grid to where there are hundreds of Tahr?
love to just see some in the winter coat what a magnificent animal!

MOG

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #151370 - 21/01/10 09:44 PM

Yes Sarg you would have seen a bigger effect on the open station lands of the east and south of the Island but that's really just wuz hunting country not like the west coast where men are men and tahr not glad of it at all (just joking mate). Anyway Cinghaile, I've been in just the position you speak of, out having a quiet foot hunt and those bloody choppers come swooping in. If you make yourself visible they generally will bugger off and leave you to your peace but sometimes they will beat you to a nice little land slip or basin and maybe shoot a few animals before you have a chance to get there (culling choppers I speak of). Such is life at times but half an hour after the chopper disappears the game can come back out. It is something we have grown up with but I suppose if it was some fat arsed lazy sod with a purse full of money who bopped a trophy animal from the chopper while I was stalking it he may just find a bit of hot lead tickling that fat backside.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: HighlandStalker]
      #151371 - 21/01/10 10:03 PM

Quote:

Please sign the petition.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-guided-helicopter-hunting.html

Done.

Sarg
.400 member

#151372 - 21/01/10 10:13 PM

Yes mate , but you have all those trees & scrub to break your fall over there (if you don't drown frist) too steep for any growth on the right side LoL !

Cinghiale , compared to 30 years ago it is easy to find a Bull worth taking , heck in some places you could shoot a Bull from the truck or bike (private property) you can make it as hard as you like & yes a Big full maned Bull sure is a magnificent sight !

9.3x57
.450 member

#151382 - 22/01/10 01:31 AM

Quote:

Eagle you have to live with this so its more your fight than mine. I just know I would feel gutted and be out for blood if I were hunting and having slogged it out for days to get to a Tahr and just as I am about to shoot over pops a Helicopter and scares my animal away from me and then shoots it and flys off!!!!

Wow, this opens the can further.

First, hunting ethics is NOT cut and dry. For example, I meant my post very seriously when I outlined only a few of the modern technological advances that make hunting "easier". Yet they are all seemingly so accepted and so ingrained into the sport today that nobody even addressed them as effecting the ethics of the sport at all! And yet they do {if one sees "ethics" in hunting}.

These "ethics" discussions in an international forum are quite fascinating. I mean, certain hunting METHODS are used in this country or that which would be considered absolutely unsporting in another country. I personally just don't see "morality" in killing animals. I do see game management goals, I do see tradition, but in neither do I find "good" or "bad" per se.

There is absolutely no doubt that the scoped, modern rifle complete with rangefinder and modern boots and raingear puts meat on the table {more to the point, horns on the wall} that would simply not have been there in years gone by, to name just a very few. And more to the point of the thread, please all, think about modern vehicles. Good grief, fellows, does anybody demand the outlawing of 4x4's for hunting in Africa? In my mind, there is no difference between a heli and a 4x4. And as for the "big fat guys" that were ridiculed at the beginning of the thread, nowhere do I see more of them on TV hunting shows than...in Africa...

Quite literally, I see the use of the 4x4 and heli, etc, as game management issues; IF NZ wants to use the heli as a tool to manage their game, and if that tool reaches their national and local goals, go for it. If game eradication is a problem, that can be addressed thru simple bag limits as it is everywhere. Protection of the natural resource can be achieved without elimination of an industry.

And, I totally agree if NZ hunters find the use of heli's to be "unsporting" and they want to ban them, then that is fine, too. I guess the only problem I see is if the NZ government was in theory to use a poll that included input from "for'ners". I say let the Anzacs decide for themselves.

As for Cingiale's post quoted here, WOW did he nail a H-U-G-E problem for me personally right here in Idaho. Not with heli's but with 4x4 ATV's that are all over, sat on commonly by the "BFG". I personally hate them for use as hunting vehicles {except for varmints!!}. They are used to ruin hunt after hunt for everybody, BUT...there are times when I use one too, for getting TO my hunting spot and for getting dead game OUT. So...how many hunters are doing the same thing and ruining my hunt...? I don't know. So I don't push for their exclusion/legal banning even tho I don't always like what they are used for.

In a general sense I am always leery about infighting among hunters. It is easy to attack bowhunting as "unethical", or hound hunting as "unsporting" or the use of a modern rifle as "eliminating fair chase", etc, etc, etc. So in the end, I look at all tools as the means to a management end. If that end can be achieved with the given tool {heli, ATV, rifle, funky Norwegian elg extractor { } or whatever, then OK by me. But at the very least, let the LOCAL powers-that-be decide what should be allowed, not those from the outside. Then there will be true "diversity" {if that is a good thing... } in the hunting fields, with some areas allowing this or that, and everyone can choose what they like or how they want to make the kill.

And all of this is just my opinion, a forum is for opinions at times I guess, so I mean no insult to anyone. In the final analysis, it's NZ's game, so they can decide the rules to play by and what they choose is OK by me.

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (22/01/10 03:08 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#151388 - 22/01/10 03:16 AM

For fun, here's another way to look at it:

What if NZ {or elsewhere} made a rule that you can seek, approach and kill the critter any way you like {so all those techie advances can be ignored}, but once the game is down, no motor vehicles may be used while you possess fresh game parts {hides, head, meat, etc} until you reach a state or national highway where you may use a car/pickup or whatever to get back to civilization.

So, you must WALK out from wherever, using no motorized vehicle to assist you in retrieving game, trophies or gear and at least for most animals here in the states, game wastage laws would require the entire meat quantity to be packed out.

Just as hard to enforce no doubt, but it would be fun to see in action...

Sorry for the off topic, but I like brain teasers...

--------------------

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
      #151488 - 22/01/10 11:09 PM

Just to be clear the actual issue is about about paying clients shooting trophy animals from helicopters. These people are specificlly targeting the top trophys in the most easiest of ways of finding and shooting them, and there is a real case of in a short period, males of species will not live long enough to mature to trophy size, nor will they breed for long.

Along with there are gazetted wilderness zones in NZ where you cannot fly a chopper around, except to drop people off at designated landing sites. This is to preserve the wilderness. They now intend to allow for choppers on these missions to buzz around whereever. Its not just hunters that are against this but Alpine clubs, tramping clubs and all others who value the true wilderness aspect of the mountains.

The political side of it is that DOC knew that operators were doing this on theri WARO permit, but didn't give a damn. Then not long ago, a poor American chap got out of a chopper wearing slippers and fell straight over a cliff. DOC decided not to procesute the operator probably because they didn't care for people pointing out the fact they were not doing their job int eh first place, and now they have also decided to allow everyone to do it legally while they decide whether to make it legal. Guess what, I think it might be legal soon...
Put it this way Mike from DOC who replies to your emails seems to think its not illegal at all, yet it clearly states on the WARO permits that they cannot do it. Also, firearms laws would be broken as well, you cant shoot from a vehicle in NEW Zealand.

And, ethically? Ethically, gentlemen, it just makes me sad.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #151492 - 23/01/10 12:09 AM

Thanks for the information.

What do the majority of NZ hunters feel about this activity, and will the law be changed and enforced?

--------------------

Cinghiale
.333 member

#151551 - 23/01/10 09:28 AM

Carlsenhighway I love your work!

9.3, I for one would happily carry out everything I could and do to a point. In the really big country in NZ and in Arhnemland in the NT for example you could not do this without the meat spoiling due to the time it will take and the distances covered!

I will post some photos of my recent kayaking trip to Fiordland and you will soon see what I mean, beautiful but murderous country to try and retrieve animals from at times!

Regards,

MOG

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #151563 - 23/01/10 03:30 PM

Most Australian and New Zealand hunters have a code of ethics which put simply is FAIR CHASE.

Shooting from a chopper is nothing more than culling,nothing more or less,and it is my opinion that any trophy sized animal taken from choppers should NOT be recorded.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #152092 - 28/01/10 04:53 PM

Well, I just have to post a copy of an e-mail that my 14 year old son has sent to the DOC. I'm impressed and as proud as punch.

He's mad keen on hunting in NZ. We were over there in December for a family holiday, no hunting. And spent 2 days in the Mt Cook National Park. My son, Monty, drove the DOC staff near mad with his enquiries. And I must say the DOC staff were very good in answering his many questions.

Anyway my 14 year old has done his part. What about the rest of us?

Here is the text of his e-mail that he sent in December 2009.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you to express my concern about a proposal to allow “Heli-Hunting” for tahr in Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park.

I understand that DOC need to be able to control if not eradicate tahr in certain areas of the Park. However, I believe that if heli-hunting is allowed in the national park, even in restricted areas, it will have a negative effect on the Communities image of DOC, legitimate recreational hunters and most importantly on Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park.

I can understand the need for aerial culling, such as is now conducted by DOC. I can appreciate and understand the recreational hunting of game within the national park, especially when such hunting is conducted by tradition and fair chase methods. However I am unable to understand the appeal to some of “Heli-Hunting” a practice this is no more than joy riders, in expensive toys, killing animals for pleasure.

If I as a hunter am perplexed by this practice then I dread to fear what the general public would think of such an activity, and of those who condone and participate.

I firmly believe that “Heli-Hunting” of tahr and/or other species of game animal should not be legal in New Zealand, especially on public land. Tahr might be a pest but how can we treat an animal, with so little respect?

By allowing helicopter based shooting for the pleasure of only a few, traditional hunters will lose, the public will lose and so will DOC!

Thank-you for your time and I eagerly await your reply.

Regards

Monty Williams

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: Rod4861]
      #152094 - 28/01/10 07:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vxr2EAZ5Og

This crap is Heli-hunting.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Stop Heli-hunting in NZ Petition [Re: Rod4861]
      #152100 - 28/01/10 10:22 PM

"I couldn't see and pretty much pointed where I thought he might be"....whole thing beggars belief,
Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9126

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com