Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mini-Farquharson Rimfire

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Mini-Farquharson Rimfire
      #5866 - 19/12/03 07:05 AM

Do any of you remember these little "kit" offerings back in the 1980's? I think Cape Outfitters offered them. Has anyone heard if they were a decent firearm or not? Any comments about these rifles or kits would certainly be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Mini-Farquharson Rimfire [Re: DPhillips]
      #5872 - 19/12/03 10:52 AM

I don't remember a Mini Farquahrson, but Cape Outfitters had a little falling block action that was just big enough to handle the 22 Hornet. I started to buy one of these several times, but never did. Too bad, because Cape Outfitters if gone with the wind! I too would be interested in a rimfire Farquahrson action, or even one of the little falling blocks.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Mini-Farquharson Rimfire [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #5873 - 19/12/03 10:55 AM

Maybe it was one of the little falling blocks, but I thought I remembered it being a 22 rimfire. Twas a few years ago, and alas, my memory isn't what it was!!!

I was curious about the quality of those little rifles, anyway.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #5888 - 19/12/03 03:34 PM

Yes, I remember them, the Daniel Fraser Highlander rifle. Cute little gun. I had several of the kits. We built several in the shop.

Frank DeHaas wrote them up. His report matches ours results. Firing pins constantly broke and the sear constantly wore out and they wouldn't stay cocked.

Cape Outfitters sued American Single Shot Association and Rifle Magazine over articles written about this rifle. The suits were later dropped.

Get a copy of “A Potpourri of Single shot rifle and Actions” by Frank DeHaas for the details on all the problems with these little guns.

I suspect that with the closing and liquidation of Cape Outfitter's you might see a few of these floating around. Fellows don’t waste your money on them.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Mini-Farquharson Rimfire [Re: DoubleD]
      #5912 - 20/12/03 03:54 AM

Thanks Double D,
Guess that cures me of another rifle on my wish list.

DoubleD
.400 member

#5921 - 20/12/03 09:43 AM

Be patient, there is about to be released new made Francotte style Martini actions. The first will be a standard reproduction of the little Cadet we are all familiar with. This will be followed by a mid size and a full size action.

Adjustable triggers and rimless extractors will also be available.

The Mid size action will be large enough for a .45/70 size cartridge. the Big action will take 577/450 class cartridges

Here's a picture of a stainless steel prototype.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DPhillips
.375 member

#5922 - 20/12/03 09:49 AM

Very nice Double D. Are these going to be released in CM as well as stainless? Will the cadet sized actions be centerfire or rimfire, will they offer both?

I'd love to have a nice Martini, like your Hollis, chambered in 32-20 or 25-20. Just think it would be the cat's meow.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #5936 - 20/12/03 01:02 PM

Oh I'm in love!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Mini-Farquharson Rimfire [Re: NitroX]
      #5939 - 20/12/03 02:15 PM

Rimfire/Centerfire your choice. CM will come before SS.

Actions only will be first sold then complete rifles. A sidebar business will be repair parts for the originals.

Target entry price for complete finished action in the white is $600.

One thing that we a shooting for, is to have manufacturing tolerance as such that you could have two breech blocks and take down barrels, Centerfire/Rimfire in one rifle.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
Re: new Martini [Re: DoubleD]
      #5947 - 20/12/03 07:16 PM

DoubleD, won't sell well to hunters unless you have a safety catch.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #5948 - 20/12/03 07:38 PM

In reply to:

One thing that we a shooting for, is to have manufacturing tolerance as such that you could have two breech blocks and take down barrels

Even better!

Can you answer if the calibres offered or practical, if they will be similar to the original calibres or will the new actions be modified to allow an increased range of calibres eg longer cases ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #5949 - 20/12/03 09:51 PM

Do you have a Importer/Dealer for Australia? I have to have one or two!
RLI

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Mini-Farquharson Rimfire [Re: RLI]
      #5961 - 21/12/03 05:38 AM

A safety will be a option. The fellows building this gun have a design but I don't know what it is.

I myself hunt with one Martini that does have a safety and one that doesn't. I have never felt unsafe Hunting with a Martini without the safety. I would still like a safety. A cross bolt like found on Remington shot guns would work for me instead of the big lever. Since these Martini's are going to have the Francotte style innards the safety will have to be on the trigger.

The Extractors on the small actions will most likely come in three rim sizes, plus a blank to cut your own size. .22 Hornet, .222 rimmed and 30-30 in rimmed cartridges. The Rimless most likely will be .223 and .308. Remember we are talking actions here and the small action only, not complete rifles.

There is a desire to get a .308 to fit on the small action, but I feel it is folly!. To big, to long, to hard a recoil in that light gun.

What will be available in the mid size and large action, I can't tell you, that is a bit in the future yet. the goal is to have the mid size action able to take a 45/70 length/diameter cartridge

Right now manufacturing equipment is being installed and I would expect the production prototypes to be availabe late spring early summer.

The Actions won't come with those scallops in the butt socket, you will have to have your Gunsmsith add those.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (21/12/03 05:42 AM)

DPhillips
.375 member

#6049 - 23/12/03 06:24 AM

Would a tang safety be an option (for those Ruger No.1 fans)? That is a beautiful action. Please keep us updated on the status!

DoubleD
.400 member

#6057 - 23/12/03 09:22 AM

Tang safety not an option.

If you are not all that familiar with the Martini Cadet, remember in the Francotte version all the action parts are contained in the trigger group which is remove down out of the bottom of the action. The back of the trigger group is flat and solid and abuts up against the solid back inner wall of the Action body.

In order to add a tang safety would require extra machine steps for linkage through that sollid back walls and special inletting of the butt stock. Add to the fact that the area on the buttsocket where the tang safety would have to go is the area covered by the web of the hand when firing.

Any safety added must go on the trigger group.

The trigger group is retained in the action body by the lug on the rear of the trigger group and the cross pin. We are will maintain this simplicity. Most likely we will use the locking cross pin as shown on these two Francotte Martini's and not the split pin found on the BSA cadet.

One extra maching step that will be done is to drill a hole in the back of the action body for a cleaning rod so the gun can be cleaned from the breech

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
      #8454 - 08/02/04 05:27 AM

What is the tentative release date for these actions?

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Mini-Farquharson Rimfire [Re: Hobie]
      #8471 - 08/02/04 11:56 AM

I don't know the release date. We have a meeting at the NRA Convention and that I'm sure will be a discussion topic.

The fellow installing the machinery is doing it in his shop along side equipment already making money, so it comes first.

The drawings for translation to computer language are being made right now. The big square breech hole will be EDM'd the rest of it CNC.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pettson
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/04
Loc: Sweden
      #8648 - 11/02/04 02:36 AM

I'd probably be interested in more information on these once they become available.
I'll keep an eye on this forum... Otherwise, feel free to send me an e-mail as soon as anything happens.

Pettson

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
      #235738 - 18/09/13 06:52 AM

Quote:

Be patient, there is about to be released new made Francotte style Martini actions. The first will be a standard reproduction of the little Cadet we are all familiar with. This will be followed by a mid size and a full size action.

Adjustable triggers and rimless extractors will also be available.

The Mid size action will be large enough for a .45/70 size cartridge. the Big action will take 577/450 class cartridges

Here's a picture of a stainless steel prototype.

I ran across this thread today. It has been 10 years: what is the status of this project?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13195

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com