Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby Falling Block

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Rigby Falling Block
      #369687 - 01/10/22 12:24 AM

Each new Rigby Falling Block rifle is finished with traditional Rigby “Rose & Scroll” pattern engravings on the action, with a case colour hardened finish as standard, however customers also have the option to upgrade to bespoke engraving patterns of any design (as pictured). A silver oval is also inlayed into the stock to add the client’s initials or crest. #RIGBY #LIMITEDEDITION #FALLINGBLOCK

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (01/10/22 01:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: NitroX]
      #369719 - 01/10/22 06:00 PM

Bespoke to the customer, the stocks on our new Rigby Falling Blocks are built to client specifications. Modelled from hand-selected, grade seven deluxe Turkish walnut and finished with Rigby’s signature oil finish they are shaped with a classic pistol grip, with a cap box housing a spare front sight. The grip cap trap features a bespoke blue enamelled plate with serial number, created by Melissa Rigby, the great-great-great granddaughter of Rigby’s founder, John Rigby. #RIGBY #LIMITEDEDITION #FALLINGBLOCK

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #369723 - 01/10/22 11:41 PM

It is nice to see Farquharson actions being made again. When the Farquharson patent expired, Francotte and its supplier manufactured the Farquharson action and sold these actions to Rigby, Holland, Westley Richards and other GB gun manufactorers and resellers.

I wonder if Rigby is actually making the action or commissioned another firm to make these actions. With CNC machining, these actions could be made and offered again "to the trade."

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: 85lc]
      #369724 - 02/10/22 12:03 AM

Quote:

It is nice to see Farquharson actions being made again. When the Farquharson patent expired, Francotte and its supplier manufactured the Farquharson action and sold these actions to Rigby, Holland, Westley Richards and other GB gun manufactorers and resellers.

I wonder if Rigby is actually making the action or commissioned another firm to make these actions. With CNC machining, these actions could be made and offered again "to the trade."

Already all detailed on an existing thread.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=365640&an=0&page=0&vc=1

Quote:

Rigby unveils new limited edition Falling Block rifle
BACK

Modelled on the late Victorian Farquharson rifles, London gunmaker John Rigby & Co. has just launched their first 10 new limited edition Rigby Falling Block rifles. After three years in the making, the rifle is built around a true Farquharson action, identical to the original patented John Farquharson design of 1875 and a strong match to the historic Rigby-made Farquharson rifles in the company’s historic ledger books.

Chambered in .416 Rigby No. 2, the rifle features a single trigger and top safety, with a 25-inch lightweight barrel – as per Rigby pre-war standards – with an integral rib and traditional London Best black finish. The rifle benefits from a standard front foresight with protective hood and rear sights regulated at 65 yards, with two folding leaf sights regulated at 150 and 250 yards.

Bespoke to the customer, the stock is built to client specifications and is modelled from hand-selected, grade seven deluxe Turkish walnut, finished with Rigby’s signature oil finish and a one-inch rubber recoil pad. Shaped with a classic pistol grip, with a cap box housing a spare front sight, the grip cap trap features a bespoke blue enamelled plate with serial number, created by Melissa Rigby, the great-great-great granddaughter of Rigby’s founder, John Rigby.

Finished with traditional Rigby “Rose & Scroll” pattern engravings on the action, with a case colour hardened finish as standard, customers also have the option to upgrade to bespoke engraving patterns of any design. A silver oval is also inlayed into the stock to add the client’s initials or crest.

RRP £39,950 (Export)

Quote:

https://fb.watch/dbf2kvGZ8r/

A closer look video at the Rigby Falling Block.

Pugwash:
Quote:

The actions not made by Mayfair engineering. They were made in Scotland using drawings of an original Rigby Farquharson in 500NE. The drawings were modified to have a strap safe as on the later PD actions. These rifles also retain the retracting striker aswell. Basically it's a pretty close copy of an original rifle using modern materials.
An awful lot of handwork has gone into making them which is why the quality is right up there as you would expect.As for the price,all if the rifles made so far have been sold so people out there can afford them. If you want this level of workmanship it cost a lot. It's not like building a Ruger #1 custom. These are in a completely different league.
For all the people that say they will never get shot,I think you might be suprised. They all shoot really well and some of them will end up going to Africa.
Hope that clears up a few things.

Best wishes

Mark

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/10/22 12:52 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369727 - 02/10/22 12:56 AM

NE Gentlemen,

If you could order one of these Rigby Falling Blocks, what cartridge chamberings would you choose? And why?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #369729 - 02/10/22 01:25 AM

7x57 or .280Rem. Would do me for hunting for the rest of my days.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: DarylS]
      #369763 - 02/10/22 01:06 PM

.275 No.2 from Rigby and/or .400/.350 Rigby. (.275 No.2 is the 7x57R)
Why? Well "just because" ……. alternately because my hunting would be USA Deer, Elk, or Bear and those are nice vintage rimmed cartridges.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#370051 - 09/10/22 01:20 AM

Quote:

NE Gentlemen,

If you could order one of these Rigby Falling Blocks, what cartridge chamberings would you choose? And why?

I haven't answered as I am having trouble answering.

These Rigby rifles scream big bore. But my mind says a big bore has two barrels. And if lacking two barrels a magazine. A single shot will do it, but could result in disaster. Hunting solo is far different to having one's hand held. No one to do one's killing for you, or stopping. I think the single shot expert DG hunter is a rare breed. Lots of practice is demanded. Muscle memory not thinking.

Some have mentioned carry a second scoped single shot rifle in addition to a DR in the same cartridge. For long shots. Assumes someone to carry stuff for you.

But I do like the idea of a sleek single shot as a plains game rifle. Capable of careful medium to longer range hunting shots on medium game.

For the first, seeing the rifle is a Rigby a .416 No.2 would make a lot of sense. Capable of medium to long ranged shots, at hunting distances. Powerful enough for any DG but only one shot.

A .375 H&H Flanged? A medium calibre single? Perhaps .333 Jeffery? A .318 WR? A .275 Mauser, rimless or rimmed. Particularly if the rifle was sleek and light. A "Rigby" cartridge again in a Rigby rifle.

A strong preference would be a .30 Flanged Super or .300 H&H Flanged.

The latter would mate well with a .450 DR.

Completely different if I had a Ferlach or German single, a hotrod 7mm SEvH of some description. Or a 6.5x68 or R. The rifle would need to be light and sleek with a long barrel.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #370072 - 09/10/22 07:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

NE Gentlemen,

I haven't answered as I am having trouble answering.

These Rigby rifles scream big bore. But my mind says a big bore has two barrels. And if lacking two barrels a magazine. A single shot will do it, but could result in disaster. Hunting solo is far different to having one's hand held. No one to do one's killing for you, or stopping. I think the single shot expert DG hunter is a rare breed. Lots of practice is demanded. Muscle memory not thinking.

Some have mentioned carry a second scoped single shot rifle in addition to a DR in the same cartridge. For long shots. Assumes someone to carry stuff for you.

But I do like the idea of a sleek single shot as a plains game rifle. Capable of careful medium to longer range hunting shots on medium game......

This was the lines I was thinking as well, more so perhaps the meat gun for this rifle, the big double for the dangerous stuff!
So that's why I nominate the .280Ross for the role in this instance, using new projectiles & loaded up to its full potential.

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: 3DogMike]
      #370073 - 09/10/22 09:10 AM

Quote:

... .400/.350 Rigby.
Why? Well "just because" ……. alternately because my hunting would be USA Deer, Elk, or Bear and those are nice vintage rimmed cartridges.
- Mike

This I 100% agree with.

A 350 Rigby (I'd actually prefer the 310gr 400/350 over the 350. No.2 225gr load) makes so much sense as Mike mentions for N. America but it would also be great for wild boar in Europe or any number of plains game in Africa.

I have a Manton Farquharson in 400/360 and it is a perfect package in a nice handling falling block rifle.
The 350 is the same with a .358" projectile. One doesn't have a doubt about the penetration of a 310gr .358" bullet!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: Huvius]
      #370074 - 09/10/22 09:30 AM

I've been hesitant to respond too

As John had first posted this, I went to look at what Rigby had to say about the rifle, the printed story discussed the .416 cartridge

My impression is first that this rifle is (of course) perfectly scaled to the cartridge and the intended use etc

But John asks

Quote:

NE Gentlemen,

This rifle is marvelous
Surely if I could order one today I'd choose beautiful stock material and distinctive engraving
I'd want storage and field cases, loading and cleaning tools, and carry accessories to go along with the rifle

I'd want to use it often

Reflecting on the print material regarding this rifle I immediately wondered if the rifle company would scale the action to the commissioned cartridge size

In all practicality I know that I'm not going to run an enduring campaign against dangerous game

First cartridge that came to mind was the 7x57, although I have something cooking in 7x57 currently and my thoughts drifted

If this rifle could be scaled to the cartridge, and if I wanted to get the most practical use out of the rifle -- in order to get the maximum joy out of this order I'd look at where I use a rifle the most

By far, for actual field use and daily problem solving, a 22 gets the job done

I actually have a 22 caliber falling block rifle, a Ruger No.1 in Hornet (K)

Great little hammer that takes care of 90-something percent of rifle problems around the ranch
It's built far heavier than needed for the Hornet

A bespoke Rigby Falling Block Rifle scaled properly to the Hornet with presentation case, field case, tools and accessories would be amazing, and it would get used a lot

If the maker could do a takedown version, I could settle for a lightweight rifle scaled for the 7mm - which is a light cartridge in itself - and a matched forend and barrel assembly for the Hornet

I'd want slim and QD mounted optics for each barrel assembly

Field and skinning knives to compliment the kit would be great to go along with the package, as well as cartridge wallets and belt slides

I think that would do

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: tinker]
      #370075 - 09/10/22 09:51 AM

I’d love to have a 350 #2 (even given the limitations of the 225 gain bullet) it would be pure Rigby !!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #370085 - 09/10/22 07:37 PM

Isn't that famous Selous relaxing in )a Rourhiee chair, isn't it a Farquharson 7x57 beside him?

Sounds entirely appropriate. As long as it isn't a heavy big bore chunker of a single shot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #370096 - 10/10/22 12:48 AM

Quote:

Isn't that famous Selous relaxing in )a Rourhiee chair, isn't it a Farquharson 7x57 beside him?

Look at that photo closely. That rifle standing close to F.C.Selous is not a Farquarson action, but a Holland & Holland, Holland & Woodward 1894 patent action. Two such rifles were owned by Selous and replaced his famous .461 Gibbs – Farquarson: From 1895 on he used such a H&H 1894 rifle in .303 during travels to Asia Minor, North America, Sardinia and East Africa. From 1904 to 1913 he replaced it with another H&H 1894 falling block in .375 2 ½” NE for use in North America, Norway and East Africa.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #370097 - 10/10/22 01:03 AM

Quote:

I think his small bore Farquharson was made around the 256 Rimmed cartridge

Fantastic cartridge, and it definitely had occurred to me, but the 7x57 is more in so many ways - and would be better all around for me here out west

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Rigby Falling Block [Re: tinker]
      #370099 - 10/10/22 01:21 AM

I believe he did have one Holland Woodward in 6.5X53R (256 Dutch). That's the one with the unusually long block - sold at auction a few years ago and we discussed it here back then.
His 303 might have been sent back to H&H to be re-barreled. I think I've read about that in some book before.

As far as I know, George Gibbs was the only maker to size the Farquharson actions for medium and smaller cartridges.
Jeffery did build a few Rook rifles on the small Lemmerzheim (sp) actions but their 303s and 400s were all on the same action. Of course the few 600s were on bigger bolstered actions.
Gibbs 303s and 256s were built on a smaller action than his 461s.

As Tinker mentions above, that's the problem with the Ruger No.1 and No.3 actions - one size fits all - so you have an oversized and overweight action for Rook, varmint and handgun chamberings.
If Ruger had just made a 30% smaller version...

So, back to Rigby, I'm sure that with modern CNC machining, they could easily offer a scaled down version for lighter rifles. Will they? I very much doubt it but hope they do!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6647

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com