Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rabbit with Parma ham, Parmesan, White Wine from Bologna

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Rabbit with Parma ham, Parmesan, White Wine from Bologna
      #369736 - 02/10/22 03:58 AM

Rabbit with Parma ham, Parmesan, White Wine from Bologna
- Rick Stein's Long Weekends Bologna

"Luca’s stuffed rabbit with white wine dish on Rick Stein’s Long Weekends"

http://sharingboost.com/lucas-stuffed-rabbit-with-white-wine-dish-on-rick-steins-long-weekends/

Bologna: Pictures
From Review : Ottimo cibo e bella atmosfera of Trattoria Dal Biassanot
Trattoria Dal Biassanot

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationP...ia_Romagna.html

Rabbit with Parma ham and parmesan bolognese

Say three boned rabbits. Lay out. Perhaps pound flatter?
Lay a layer of Parma ham on top.
Fritata slices laid down the middle.

Fritata made with eggs and shaved parmesan fried in oil. Fried. About a cm thick.

Roll and tie up the rabbit and filling.

Put in a oiled roasting oven pan.
Pour on some white wine.
Sprinkle with salamoia Bolognese made with garlic, pepper, salt and rosemary.

1 hour at 180 deg C.

Cut the roll into thick slices.

Braise in stock in a fry pan.

Serve with a reduction of the stock thickened with some flour as a sauce/gravy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rabbit with Parma ham, Parmesan, White Wine from Bologna [Re: NitroX]
      #369737 - 02/10/22 03:59 AM

I want to try this rabbig recipe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369738 - 02/10/22 04:08 AM

It's not in here but lots of good ones.

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/176552/rick-steins-long-weekends-over?sort=main_title+desc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369739 - 02/10/22 04:34 AM

Boning a rabbit

https://foragerchef.com/boneless-rabbit-roulade/

Boneless Rabbit Roulade
A boneless roulade of rabbit is a delicious way to get more out of your bunny. Serves 2 as an entree or 4 as an appetizer.
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Chilling time2 hrs
Course: Appetizer, Main Course
Cuisine: Italian
Keyword: Charcuterie, Rabbit
Servings: 2
Ingredients

1 large rabbit wild or domestic
1 medium
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
Sprinkle of parmesan
A few slices of prosciutto ham, or salami

Instructions
Deboning the rabbit

Lay the rabbit cavity-side up on a cutting board. Dislocate the legs and arms to make it lay flat.

Start at the ribs

With a sharp paring knife, start making shallow cuts at the ribcage, revealing meat until you get down to the spine. Take your time and go slow, but know that if you make a mistake and break through the meat it will be ok.

Removing the spine

Once you get down to the spine, take your time, revealing meat around the spine until it’s completely freed.
Continue making shallow cuts, freeing the entire spine and ribcage from the meat. Roast the spine and ribcage in an 375 degree oven in a 12 inch pan for 45 minutes while you prepare the rest of the roulade.
Once the spine and ribcage are removed, remove the front and back legs and reserve them for another purpose.

Stuffing

Season the meat lightly with salt and pepper, then scatter on the herbs. Add the salami or prosciutto, along with the sprinkle of parmesan.
Square off the rounded sides of the carrot to make it into a rectangle, then cut it into ¼ inch julienne. Lay the julienned carrots in the middle of the roulade between the loins.

Rolling

Roll the boneless rabbit roulade up and tie with twine.
Once the ribcage and spine are roasted, remove them, then put the roulade in the pan they were cooking in, adding 1 cup of stock and ½ cup of wine that will help release the drippings.

Baking

Cover the pan and bake at 250 for 2.5 hours. Check on the pan halfway through to make sure it isn’t dry, adding stock as needed to keep a ½ inch layer of liquid in the pan.
After 2.5 hours, remove the pan and cool for a bit, then carefully remove the rabbit roll, wrap in cling film to prevent drying out, and refrigerate until chilled and firm which makes slicing easier.
Scrape up any brown bits from the pan, and reserve the cooking liquid for stock, or spooning over the cooked roulade. Strain the stock (optional).

Serving

Slice the roulade into thin slices, then gently reheat in a pan until warmed through. Meanwhile, reheat the cooking liquid with a splash of white wine. On preheated entrée or salad plates, fan out slices of the reheated rabbit roulade, spooning some of the cooking juices over the top. Serve with a green salad.

Copyright: Chef Alan Bergo

https://i0.wp.com/foragerchef.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Rabbit-Roulade-18.jpg?w=1200&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/foragerchef.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Rabbit-Roulade-13.jpg?w=1200&ssl=1

The Boneless Rabbit Roulade
Jump to Recipe
Print Recipe

boneless rabbit roulade with a green salad When I worked under the former personal chef to the princess of Monaco, boneless rabbit roulade was one of the dishes on my station. Essentially it’s a roll of rabbit, without bones, stuffed with a slice of prosciutto or other charcuterie that’s cooked and sliced, and served warm or cold.

It takes some skill with a paring knife, but as I’ll show you here, it doesn’t have to be perfect, and it’s an ingenious way to get more servings out of a rabbit. It’s also a nice little piece of rabbit charcuterie if you want, and a great stepping stone into the world of deboning animals to make great things like galantines and ballontines, but those are techniques for another post.
Boneless rabbit roulade

Boneless roulade of rabbit. It can be done! I have faith in you.

Here’s the jist.

From a restaurant standpoint, rabbit can be tricky to put on a menu as it’s often expensive. And, unlike a chicken, you only get 2 large legs—no breasts. So, you’ll essentially get 2 entree-sized orders from each animal, and a couple bits and pieces (loins, front legs). Combine that hard cost with the fact that a lot of people in America still consider rabbits more domesticated animals along the lines of a cat or dog, and it’s a tricky formula to make work financially. With some creativity though, you can get extra orders/servings out of those rabbits, and it’s absolutely worth trying.

How to debone a rabbit
How to debone a rabbit

This is the magic. You’re going to need a sharp paring knife, and a little patience. The first thing you do is put the rabbit, cavity-side up, dislocating the front and back legs to stabilize it while you do the detail work (for reference, you can debone a chicken in exactly the same way). With your paring knife that you sharpened moments before starting, begin carefully cutting next to the rib bones to peel the meat away. it will seem like the meat is paper-thin, and it is. If you make a mistake and break through the skin, it’s okay—don’t worry. Once everything is all done you’ll roll is up and it won’t matter.
How to debone a rabbit

Starting at the ribcage, you’ll use a paring knife to remove the thin layer of meat from the bone.
Mind the spine

One you release the ribcage you’ll eventually get down to the spine, and that’s the trickiest part. The skin is very thin over the backbone, and it may look like it’s impossible to separate the meat from the carcass. Like before, don’t worry, if you cut through the rabbit’s thin skin here it won’t matter in the end since you’ll be rolling everything up. Just do the best you can, continuing to make shallow cuts in order to separate the rib cage from the meat.

How to debone a rabbit

Once the rib cage is out–congratulations! The tough part is done. Now all you have to do is continue removing the spinal column and ribcage, which will come out in one long piece—save that for stock. Now, you’ll be looking at a flat sheet of rabbit meat with the legs still attached. Remove the legs at the joint for another purpose and proceed. You’ll also want to remove any kidney suet or fat you see, which is good roasted and added to the stock pot, or rendered in a pan to fry some eggs, etc.
Rabbit roulade with a green salad

At the restaurant, we served the roulade with a salad of baby vegetables.
Stuffing

Stuffing is a bit of a misnomer here, since there really isn’t much stuffing. You can put all kinds of things in here, but the key is to not over do it. A sprinkle of herbs, a thin layer of prosciutto, a couple julienned carrots is all you need. You can make a more involved stuffing like a forcemeat or sausage, but since this will be long-cooked you run the risk of it drying out.

Stuffing a rabbit roulade recipe

My advice is to try and reproduce my recipe here as close as you can, and branch out afterword on your next rabbit. For my stuffing, all I used was a few slices of pepperoni that were in the fridge, a scatter of fresh oregano, a sprinkle of parmesan, and a julienned carrot.
Rolling

Boneless rabbit roulade

Roulade means rolled, so that’s exactly what happens here. Roll the rabbit up into a log, then tie it with butchers twine to keep it snug. If you have a sous-vide machine, you could also vacuum seal it and cook in a water bath, for that, I’d do 190 F for 4 hours.
Cooking

boneless rabbit roulade with a green salad
boneless rabbit roulade with a green salad
Print Recipe
5 from 4 votes
Boneless Rabbit Roulade
A boneless roulade of rabbit is a delicious way to get more out of your bunny. Serves 2 as an entree or 4 as an appetizer.
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Chilling time2 hrs
Course: Appetizer, Main Course
Cuisine: Italian
Keyword: Charcuterie, Rabbit
Servings: 2
Ingredients

1 large rabbit wild or domestic
1 medium
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
Sprinkle of parmesan
A few slices of prosciutto ham, or salami

Instructions
Deboning the rabbit

Lay the rabbit cavity-side up on a cutting board. Dislocate the legs and arms to make it lay flat.
How to debone a rabbit

Start at the ribs

With a sharp paring knife, start making shallow cuts at the ribcage, revealing meat until you get down to the spine. Take your time and go slow, but know that if you make a mistake and break through the meat it will be ok.
How to debone a rabbit

Removing the spine

Once you get down to the spine, take your time, revealing meat around the spine until it’s completely freed.
How to debone a rabbit
Continue making shallow cuts, freeing the entire spine and ribcage from the meat. Roast the spine and ribcage in an 375 degree oven in a 12 inch pan for 45 minutes while you prepare the rest of the roulade.
How to debone a rabbit
Once the spine and ribcage are removed, remove the front and back legs and reserve them for another purpose.
How to debone a rabbit

Stuffing

Season the meat lightly with salt and pepper, then scatter on the herbs. Add the salami or prosciutto, along with the sprinkle of parmesan.
Stuffing a rabbit roulade recipe
Square off the rounded sides of the carrot to make it into a rectangle, then cut it into ¼ inch julienne. Lay the julienned carrots in the middle of the roulade between the loins.

Rolling

Roll the boneless rabbit roulade up and tie with twine.
Boneless rabbit roulade
Once the ribcage and spine are roasted, remove them, then put the roulade in the pan they were cooking in, adding 1 cup of stock and ½ cup of wine that will help release the drippings.

Baking

Cover the pan and bake at 250 for 2.5 hours. Check on the pan halfway through to make sure it isn’t dry, adding stock as needed to keep a ½ inch layer of liquid in the pan.
After 2.5 hours, remove the pan and cool for a bit, then carefully remove the rabbit roll, wrap in cling film to prevent drying out, and refrigerate until chilled and firm which makes slicing easier.
Scrape up any brown bits from the pan, and reserve the cooking liquid for stock, or spooning over the cooked roulade. Strain the stock (optional).

Serving

Slice the roulade into thin slices, then gently reheat in a pan until warmed through. Meanwhile, reheat the cooking liquid with a splash of white wine. On preheated entrée or salad plates, fan out slices of the reheated rabbit roulade, spooning some of the cooking juices over the top. Serve with a green salad.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369740 - 02/10/22 04:37 AM

https://foragerchef.com/how-to-cut-up-a-rabbit/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369741 - 02/10/22 04:38 AM

https://foragerchef.com/rabbit-chasseur-with-wild-mushrooms/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369742 - 02/10/22 04:39 AM

https://foragerchef.com/rabbit-braised-in-milk-with-black-trumpets-and-carrots/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rabbit Recipes [Re: NitroX]
      #369743 - 02/10/22 04:40 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rabbit_stew_with_dijon_05371

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369744 - 02/10/22 04:41 AM

https://www.servingdumplings.com/recipes/pancetta-wrapped-rabbit-with-garlic/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369745 - 02/10/22 04:42 AM

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013067-tuscan-rabbit-ragu

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #369755 - 02/10/22 10:27 AM

I might have to come back to this after bunny season starts. My bro made a terrific sweat and sour bunny stew with snowshoes hares. I'll have to ask him for the recipe if I get some. I've three .25 cal. PCP air rifles & a .22 HW springer as well that would be perfect for head shooting the little fellows. Not sure which one would be best for winter shooting here.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1100

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com