Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Mauser M03

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The Mauser M03
      #325069 - 23/02/19 03:13 PM

Seeing we had some discussions on this model on a Blaser thread, and also I have had an exchnage of PMs with a member looking to acquire one, thought it might be an idea to have a thread discussion on the Mauser M03.

Just a quick post or two to start it off, then maybe some more posts later on.

I didn't think much of the Mauser M03, but after using one of ErikD's rifles a Mauser M03 in 7x64mm on an alg/elg/moose hunt, decided I liked them after all. When the rght rifle came up for sale locally dusted off the credit card and lashed out on it. Finally acquiring a takedown, which I had wanted for years, but instead of a Mauser M98 takedown, instead the more modern M03.

I am lucky enough to have two Mauser M03's. One of these rifles is the "Extreme" version with a green synthetic stock. Originally I purchased this rifle second hand from Mark Savage who was a gun dealer at the time, but owned this rifle as a personal firearm. It was then equipped with a .30-06 "Solid" barrel, a heavy profiled barrel.

I ordered through Mark a serious of accessories. Being shy and experienced with "multi" rifles through my Valmet/Tikka "shooting system" and what happens when they are no longer manufacturered, and once must search used markets for years to find bits and pieces. This time I decided to spend and get what I needed at the beginning. So I ordered an "African" style barrel in .404 Jeffery. Has a wide V useful rear sight and a banded muzzle. A thicker barrel. Having had an Extreme model designed for a SOLID barrel turned out to be useful, as the thicker solid barrel stock could also handle the bigger bore barrels. A thinner forend barrel groove on some models would not have sufficed.

Also a much desired longer barrel in 8x68S.

The third additional barrel I desired was the 6.5x68 to match the 8x68S. But alas Mauser no longer listed them, and had instead the 6.5x65 RWS which I have to satisfy myself with. A Mauser salesman even lied to me once, and said they had never listed the 6.5x68 ... even though it once was listed. I think Mauser also used to specify custom chamberings were possible and I enquired twice. Don't think I ever recieved a reply.

And the fourth additional barrel purchased is my much loved and most used .222 Remington barrel.

Inadditon I acquired a variety of 26 mm and 30 mm Mauser Mo3 QD mounts, porobably not enough, I must look into a couple more, but they are not cheap. Also the bolt tips for differing cartridge head sizes, and additional magazines. I should acquire an additional mag for the .404, which I think doubles for the 8x68S (?). Need to check.

A gun case for the rifle and a barrel was included with the rifle.

Now I had a redundant .30-06 SOLID barrel. I probably would have kept it if it wasn't a heavy barrel, but decided to raise some cash and sell the barrel. After a while, one of NE's members expressed interest it in and acquired it.

Then to my wallet's dismay, newly replensihed he later had a Mauser M03 for sale himself. In a "Alpine" model, walnut stocked with a schnabel tipped forend, and a somewhat Germanic stock. The member had two other M03's as well so wasn't abandoning the model. We came to a deal and I added a second M03 to my safe.

Now why did I want two? Well I always wanted one to restock in a nice English fashioned stock of quality walnut. Also I wanted a second, so for example if I hunted in Africa, I could have a .404 AND a 8x68S readily available, without having to change over barrels, scopes etc etc. Ideally I should have a custom takedown rifle case made up to cater for two stocks and two barrels, scopes, bolts etc.

Or I could have my favourite .222 always ready for action on the farm, and have the walnut stocked M03 with the 6.5mm or 8mm barrel setup for any deer hunting, that might come up from time to time.

As for English classic restocking of the walnut M03, I think I have decided to just keep the existing Germanic stock. OIt does suit the German rifle and many of its chamberings which I do have.

Changing over from one calibre chambering to another is very easy. Remove the scope, QD mounts make it easy. Reove the bolt so the bolt no longer locks up into the barrel. There are two screws in the bottom of the stock. A specific tool allows them to be unscrewed easily. The barrel can then be removed. The bolt head is reasonably easy to remove with a bit of fiddling each time. Change over the magazine as required. Then reverse the process for the new calibre.

I do usually test re-sight the rifle when changing over. Especially for the .222 where I demand extreme on target accuracy. I brain shoot a lot of deer with my M03 .222 and this needs a lot fo accuracy. More so, headshooting hares, rabbits and foxes. Not much adjusting is usually neeed. And for the larger calibres, the difference would not be important.

The safety on the rifle also decocks the bolt. It looks a but finicky and even noisy. In practice it is not an issue at all.

Now these rifles do not win beauty contests IMO. Maybe the specially made ones, the other NE member has might. Mine are relatively plain rifles. Good user rifles. The M03 is a solid made man's rifle. Stout, strong and not gimmicky.

The only problem I have had is the magazine springs in the mags are touchy. i left .222 rounds in that mag and it must have weakened the mag spring. So it no longer exerts enough forced to chamber cartridges. Pathetic IMO. But now I make sure cartridges are removed from mags. As is a legal requirement now for storage anyway. The Australian agent, Myalls promised to replaced the ,222 mag years ago, free of charge. Never did it. Hopefully they still will!!!

Some previous photos to start off some pics.

Coming later, have to post and come back to this thread and post.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: NitroX]
      #325071 - 23/02/19 03:33 PM

Photos previously posted. Of my first Extreme model M03.

A couple of pictures:

6.5x65 RWS
.30-06 Solid Barrel (probably for sale ) SINCE SOLD!
8x68S
.404 Jeffery

Throw in a shotgun and a .22 and one could hunt anything, anywhere in the world.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#325072 - 23/02/19 03:41 PM

BTW poor CptCurl lowered himself to carrying that plastic abomination in .404 Jeffery during his time here.

Originally he professed a strong desire to use his own rifle or rifles in Australia for the hunt. And also for the BGRC visit in Victoria. But alas bureacracy proved a major hurdle. While it was possible for Victoria and SA, the NT proved an impossible hurdle. It appears a foreign visitor can ONLY get legal permission to bring in and hunt with a rifle if they are hunting with a "registered" outfitter. At least that is the Police interpretation. One of our NT members disagrees with the interpretation. So Curl decided on prudence and did not bring his own rifles as he was flying out via Darwin.

Now one of our conscientious members decided to email Curl and tell him he was going to break the law if he hunted privately in the NT with a firearm, instead of with an outfitter. As in the end, we did not even fire a shot in the NT, and Curl only acted as my "gunbearer" this member can put his legal attitude to rest.

Curl I think weighed my .450 Jeffery in his hands and decided the much lighter plastic fantastic .404 was better to carry.

But sad when a fine old vintage double rifle man can't carry and use of his own excellent rifles. Bureaucrats whether professional bureaucrats or amteur ones are the rejects and fun police of the world.

Back to the M03's.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#325073 - 23/02/19 03:44 PM

The photos I posted for the member of his rifle prior to my acquiring it.

The barrel in these photos looks short. I think my barrels are longer than this barrel and look more proportional. Will have to take some new photos.

The Alpine Model Mauser M03:

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #325082 - 23/02/19 09:29 PM

I don't like the extreme. Its too heavy.
I liked the alpine version especially in the stutzen. It was lighter and looked much better.

Doesn't seem to be much dings in either rifle.

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: mchughcb]
      #325091 - 24/02/19 02:24 AM

The Alpine model is rather nice. I could live with it! :-)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: JDL]
      #325092 - 24/02/19 03:12 AM

For me, the Alpine would be just fine, if it had a 24" tube. I very much prefer nice walnut, although will admit my 9.3x62 Oberndorf has a plastic stock now.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #325099 - 24/02/19 08:28 AM

I could live with both.

John I think you need to get back onto Mialls to replace that mag spring.

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: Rule303]
      #325104 - 24/02/19 10:12 AM

I like the safety/cocking de-cocking feature ,and its easy to de-cock when you store your bolt separately, unlike most other bolt rifles .That's a nice Alpine !

500Boswell
.400 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: 500Boswell]
      #325105 - 24/02/19 10:14 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to Mialls ………..

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #325171 - 26/02/19 12:31 AM

Quote:

BTW poor CptCurl lowered himself to carrying that plastic abomination in .404 Jeffery during his time here.

. . . As in the end, we did not even fire a shot in the NT . . .

Curl I think weighed my .450 Jeffery in his hands and decided the much lighter plastic fantastic .404 was better to carry.

But sad when a fine old vintage double rifle man can't carry and use of his own excellent rifles. Bureaucrats whether professional bureaucrats or amteur ones are the rejects and fun police of the world.

. . .

I was favorably impressed with the Mauser 03. This was the first, and still the only one I have seen. I think it carries much lighter than the .450 Jeffery, as stated. It also freed me from any fear that I might stumble and fall on the beautiful Jeffery rifle. Just don't ask me how the Mauser 03 shoots. Dunno!

And I'm not quite the purist that John proclaims. I have a few plastic rifles myself. One is a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless chambered in .300 WSM. It sports a black Tupperware stock and a big Leupold scope. It's deadly accurate, but it has no soul. Stainless and plastic!!!

I also have three ARs with quite a few uppers to choose from. I like them even though they also are godless.

Finally, let me say this without reservation. I don't think I would have had any more pleasure on my SA - NT trek if I had carried a H&H Royal Deluxe and had we bagged a dozen assorted feral critters. It was a trip without comparison and great company. I still owe John and the forums a write-up of our trip. If I weren't a worthless lazy turd it would have been done.

Man, we covered some miles (err ... kilometers)!!!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: CptCurl]
      #325179 - 26/02/19 05:54 AM

Cool! (looks hot, though)

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: DarylS]
      #325360 - 03/03/19 02:04 PM

Member 202T wrote about his unique and lovely engraved Mauser M03.

Mauser M03 deluxe waterbuffalo

Recently purchased another M03 to compliment the Africa PH which is the synthetic. According to the importer it is the only one of its kind in Australia. It has a waterbuffalo engraved on the magazine rather that a Cape buffalo. The timber is grade 5.

Apology for the links you'll have to click on them to open. It's an apple jpg, jpeg thing

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i321/peart_mark01/image_zpsnnuij2pt.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i321/peart_mark01/image_zpsmrldzrju.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i321/peart_mark01/image_zps1ci5ursa.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i321/peart_mark01/image_zpslvabfjte.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i321/peart_mark01/image_zps06lgke81.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i321/peart_mark01/image_zpsugvcmopt.jpeg[/IMG]

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=283032&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#325374 - 03/03/19 07:44 PM

Hi NEers,

One thing that prompted me to start off this Mauser M03 thread was not admiration but the opposite!

A South American member and I have been corresponding. He asked me various questions about the M03, a rifle which he is considered purchasing.

During those questions and from his comments I had a look at the Mauser website. The considerable reduction in options for the M03 and also other rifles is a bit shocking.

I would have trouble purchasing a rifle from the current line up.

The barrels for standard chamberings are now all 22 inches. The magnum offerings are all only 24 inches. The better "African" barrel option ie barrel bands, muzzle band and better express sights are not offered at all.

More calibre cartridge chamberings have been culled. For example the 6.5x65 is no longer available after it itself replaced the 6.5x68. Now only the 6.5x55 is listed. The 8.5x63 is gone as well.

The number of models is also severely rationalised. Now there is only "American classic" typed stock Pure and Expert. Plus Extreme and the ultra ugly Trail.

The website, new and praised, is also far less informative. Doesn't properly listed options for mounts, accessories, and one must search the "downloads" to see a 'chart of options' for the M03 and the other models, to see what sort of limited options are now offered.

When the Bean counters of the L&O group take charge.

There is similar limited reduced offerings for the Mauser M98 rifle.

Probably the cheapo ex-crap M12 and M19 new models are expanded. Aiming at an overpriced rifle models, with little appeal for the price.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
      #325379 - 04/03/19 01:23 AM

I could come to admire that rifle. What's it chambered in?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: JDL]
      #325381 - 04/03/19 02:53 AM

Beautiful looking rifle..congrats to the owner..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: Ripp]
      #325388 - 04/03/19 05:43 AM

Nice plank, good looking rifle design, but not well filled/finished, though.
High-end gun like that should have the grain filled. Not necessarily shiny
or high gloss, but the grain pores should be filled.
That rifle looks like it has had 3 coats of True Oil- that's it.

--------------------
Daryl

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: DarylS]
      #325413 - 05/03/19 03:05 AM

Yes Mark's M03 rocks. Hopefully I'll shoot against it one day down the club.

500Boswell
.400 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: mchughcb]
      #325438 - 05/03/19 03:47 PM

Mauser aren't doing themselves a favour by reducing all the options available on M03,even less incentive for customers to buy one ,plus 22 inch barrels ???? what ? Magnum M98 also appears in less cals hmmmm

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: 500Boswell]
      #325440 - 05/03/19 04:18 PM

Quote:

Mauser aren't doing themselves a favour by reducing all the options available on M03,even less incentive for customers to buy one ,plus 22 inch barrels ???? what ? Magnum M98 also appears in less cals hmmmm

22 inch barrels for standard cartridges, and 24 inches for the "magnum" cartridges. For some "magnum" cartridges 26 inch is desirable. Surely offering optional extras of 22, 24 and 26 inch barrels isn't that hard.

Mauser appears to be reducing the Mauser 98 and M03 options while pushing the crappier M12 and now a M19 model.

I wonder what is being done with the rest of the L&O Group. What are they again: Mauser; Rigby; Blaser; Sauer; and ?

Rigby is new and moving ahead with its modern new versions of the Mauser 98 in the Big Game model and the High Stalker model.

Haven't looked at the Sauer for a while.

My guess is the L&O group is pushing the Blaser with more options and of course lots of marketing. But haven't had a look there either for a while.

When beancounters run gunmakers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#325673 - 10/03/19 06:46 PM

Further to a PM discussion with a member he compared the M03 2013 Catalog with a 2019 Catalog.

Since 2013 they have discontinued the following:
222 Rem;
223 Rem;
22-250 Rem;
6.5x57;
8.5x63;
300 Wby Mag;
338 Blaser Mag;
338 Win Mag;
416 Rem Mag;
458 Lott; and
404 Jeffery.

Also a lot of cuts to the M98 round up. But not the M12 per the NE member.

Per the 2019 catalogue the calibres offered are listed in the table on page 36. At the top of the table are column headings of the calibres listed:

.243 Win.,
6,5x55SE,
.270 Win.,
7x64,
7 mm Rem. Mag.,
.308 Win.,
.30-06,
.300 Win. Mag.,
8x57IS,
8x68S,
9,3x62,
.375 H&H Mag.

But further down the table in the left row headings is the following:

Barrel Length .375 H&H
Mag./.404 Jeffery
Barrel-Ø .375 H&H
Mag./.404 Jeffery

So they MAY still offer the .404 Jeffery? Only way to tell is to enquire.

Pretty sad for a switch barrel rifle system to offer such a meagre amount of cartridge chambering choices.

Myself, another member on NE, and probably other users would look for a series of barrels which cover the following:
a small bore barrel such as .222, .223 or .22/250;
a medium bore barrel in the 7mm to .338 range;
a bigger bore barrel which could be a .375, but the .404 or .416 added a much better larger bore choice;
and maybe a magnum type choice eg .300, 8x68S or .338 Blaser magnum. Of course offering only 24" barrels lets this option down as well.

How Mauser shoots itself in the foot, IMO, and harms its models the M03 and the great Mauser 98.

While probably pouring resources into the Blaser ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (10/03/19 06:49 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#343609 - 25/07/20 06:10 AM

An example of an Mauser M03 Masterclass. Barrel .30-06.

As displayed om the NitroExpress fb group.

Shows can be done with a Mauser M93. This by the Mauser factory.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

jvw
.275 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
      #343645 - 26/07/20 02:22 AM

Quite a few of them have been imported into SA. They have almost zero resale value here, especially in the larger calibres.

Here's a hint: take one in .404, load the mag to capacity, and cycle it REALLY fast and vigorous. It won't be long and you will have the bolt in one hand and the rifle in the other. It's easy to fix as well. Just put the bolt back and it works again. I know of two of them who have these symptoms.

The M66 had the same problem, I'm told.

Anything Mauser produced after 1939, well, you are on your own as far as I'm concerned.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Mauser M03 [Re: jvw]
      #343670 - 26/07/20 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quite a few of them have been imported into SA. They have almost zero resale value here, especially in the larger calibres.

Here's a hint: take one in .404, load the mag to capacity, and cycle it REALLY fast and vigorous. It won't be long and you will have the bolt in one hand and the rifle in the other. It's easy to fix as well. Just put the bolt back and it works again. I know of two of them who have these symptoms.

Have you seen this in person,. directly yourself? Or merely read in on some internet forum?

Quote:

The M66 had the same problem, I'm told.

"I'm told."

Quote:

Anything Mauser produced after 1939, well, you are on your own as far as I'm concerned.

Sums up the post.

But I do want to know, have you seen this with your own eyes? Done it with your own hands?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

jvw
.275 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
      #343678 - 26/07/20 08:30 PM

A good friend of mine is an instructor at the largest professional hunting and game ranger training facility in SA. They offer dangerous game hunting courses on a huge property bordering Kruger for about six months of the year. During the course of the year, they host not only college students but private individuals (such as members of the SA Hunters and Game Conservation Organisation, who get to attend the courses at a discount as part of member benefits) who wish to attend the courses for their own experience. As such, he gets to see all sorts of rifles in action. It is amazing how many rifles (and their owners) misbehave when they are suddenly put to the test in hot, dry and dusty conditions during stressfire exercises. This goes for a few modern double rifles as well.

I have attended the courses on a number of occasions. My weapon on each occasion was an original 1930 Type-A Oberndorf M98 in 9,3x62. The 9,3, together with a Heym 89B .450 NE, comprises my own heavy battery.

And yes, I have seen a rather sheepish M03 owner standing with the bolt of his rifle in his right hand as the "charging" paper elephant on skids ground to a halt in a huge cloud of dust about two feet in front of him. I have fired the rifle and know the owner personally - he's a surgeon here in SA and I'm good friends with a colleague of his, who owns an identical M03, also in .404, also with the same symptoms. The latter gentleman has since commissioned a .450 Rigby Rimless on a Granite Mountain Arms action from a gunsmith here in SA.

I'm reliably informed that some of them will discharge by their own accord as well if the bolt is closed REALLY hard on a loaded round. This I haven't seen with my own eyes, just for the record.

The M03 may be lots of things but I don't think it's a dangerous game rifle.

As for the M66, it happened to a son of a former president of the abovementioned hunters association during a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe in the early 1980's. It was chambered in 9,3x64. He sold it soon afterwards and went back to a Model 70 in .375 H&H. He wrote about it extensively after the incident. He died a few years ago but I was on friendly terms with him.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16927

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com