Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: classic case of overkill...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #173265 - 17/12/10 07:13 AM

Hello gentlemen,

@kuduae
Waidmansheil for the roe deer and boar and congratulations your rifle!!!

And now a related question for the experts:
Does anybody have experience with the Woodleigh 270grs RNSP bullet at the obtainable speed for the 9,5x57 Mannlicher Schoenauer cartridge?

I ask because the Hornady 270grs RNSP bullets are no longer produced and out of stock.
So, are the Woodleighs an alternative for roe deer and boar?

Thank you for your answers
& good hunting!
Rolf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #173267 - 17/12/10 07:24 AM

Daryl S and 9.3x57, you are both quite right! In the type of hunting described you most often have only seconds to decide and shoot. When shooting at momentarily standing game, I try to get a support for the rifle or my left arm whenever possible. F.i. the kid deer was shot through the base of the neck, intended, at about 75m, left hand holding the foreend braced against an upright pole on my stand. When shooting at moving game using a support is fruitless. The sow was shot running at about 50m, passing the track on the second landscape photo from right to left, behind the beech marked for felling with the red dot. Stance offhand, time allowance from taking aim to firing about two seconds. Hit right through the center of the boiler room, heart and lungs. Some training with your hunting rifle at a "running boar" target or inside a "Shooting cinema" is really recommended! I was just too lazy to write a thorough answer to Bonanza.

AndrewS
.224 member

Reged: 01/10/12
Loc: Suffolk, UK
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: kuduae]
      #278694 - 02/03/16 06:26 AM

Good evening kuduae

I just came across this post (again, first saw it a while ago) - nice rifle, nice roe.

I also have a MS Model 1910, sadly not in very original condition but I'm working on remedying that. I notice that your rifle has a scope fitted. Did you have this done? What mounts have been used? I have just got approval to use the rifle for stalking etc (UK firearms laws...) and would feel much happier not using open sights (once upon a time maybe, but not now!). Also, what is a "Parker-Hale sportarget peep sight"? Finally, do you have any idea where I could obtain a replacement front sight? The one on my rifle is not exactly original...

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer.

Andrew

Quote:

Photo taken yesterday: Culling hunt for roe and boar, thawing snow and dizzling rain. My Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1910 vs. a small kid roebuck.

Rifle: Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 in of course 9.5x57 aka .375 Rimless Nitro Express, 20" barrel, prewar Zeiss Zielvier scope in claw mounts, Parker-Hale sportarget peep sight. Load: case formed from W-W 30-06, 270 gr Hornady rn (still have some in stock), 55gr VV N140 for 2310fps. Range about 70m.
During the last month this outfit has taken 2 boar and 5 roe deer.

kuduae
.400 member

Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: AndrewS]
      #278699 - 02/03/16 08:10 AM

Quote AndrewS: what is a "Parker-Hale sportarget peep sight"?
See here:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=151111&an=0&page=0#Post151111

Quote .AndrewS:
Did you have this done? What mounts have been used?
Did it myself. Got presented with the "junk" rifle and the "useless" pre-WW2 4x Zeiss Zielvier scope once by different parties. Found M-Sch claw mount parts in my own junkbox. Accumulated a lot of junked by others mount parts over the years.

AndrewS
.224 member

Reged: 01/10/12
Loc: Suffolk, UK
      #278726 - 03/03/16 05:32 AM

kuduae

Thank you for your reply - I'll have to keep an eye out for a Sportarget (or more likely a No 16!) sight.

Don't suppose you have a front sight for a Model 1910 tht's "surplus to requirements" in your junkbox???

Andrew

kuduae
.400 member

Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: AndrewS]
      #278727 - 03/03/16 05:41 AM

Quote:

Don't suppose you have a front sight for a Model 1910 tht's "surplus to requirements" in your junkbox???

Andrew

If I had, it would have saved me a lot of time filing available Williams or Lyman ones to fit.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #278766 - 04/03/16 04:44 AM

Rolf, have you tried this one?
The Hornady 270 grain Spire Point.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6342

I have used them from a 375H&H on elk and large Western Mule deer. At a muzzle velocity of 2700 FPS they are more prone to break up when hits are between 10 and 100 yards than I'd like, but at the speeds you can get from the 9.5X56 Mann I bet they would do fine for game up to about 400 pounds, and any distance you can make a good hit.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: szihn]
      #278786 - 05/03/16 12:45 AM

Steve:
Sadly, the 270gr Hornady Spire-Point won't come close to fitting in a 1910 Mannlicher-Schoenauer magazine, if you want enough powder in the case to get a stabilizing velocity for the long bullet.

Pity, IMHO its a marvellous bullet for most other .375 applications excepting pachydermous quarry.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: Marrakai]
      #278792 - 05/03/16 02:09 AM

Ahhh Now I understand.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: szihn]
      #347349 - 30/11/20 02:01 PM

Reviving this thread as it pertains to the 20" takedown 9.5MS
Was bidding on a similar rifle but lost out as funds are a bit tight right now.
Think it was a good deal though still.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884766215

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: Huvius]
      #347362 - 30/11/20 08:36 PM

Quote:

Here is an example of a reopened thread, twice. Originally 2010, reopened in 2016 and again 2020.

I may have seen it before, probably planned to comment but never did. A lovely post by Kuduae.

Enjoyed it, the pictures and the stories and comments.

And particularly the rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: Paatti]
      #347363 - 30/11/20 08:40 PM

Quote:

Liked the rifle, liked the roe and liked the way you hunt very much! For the same kind of tasks I use a Sako battue 9,3x62 and as you may see it is accurate enough

What happened to our member Paatti ? Last on here om 2013? Surprised by that. I enjoyed his posts. Will try sending an email.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (30/11/20 08:52 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#347364 - 30/11/20 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It looks a handy little rifle.

You are right, that's why I use this rifle more than any other for our culling hunts. I took the photo not to brag about the kill, but as part of an answer to a question from another party: Did Mannlicher-Schoenauers with carbine-length barrels but half-stocked ever exist as a factory option? Obviously, yes!
To explain why I used this rifle on such a tiny roe, I have to tell about our kind of culling hunt. As a forester I work and live in slightly hilly country, stocked predominantly with hardwood forests of mixed age. We don't use the classic "driven boar hunt" any more, in which a small area of forest is surrounded by a closely spaced line of guns, a line of beaters setting the game to flight through the gunline. This was the European domain of the double rifle, but usually leads to a lot of wounded or miserably shot game. Instead, we place the hunters in strategic stands distributed over a larger forest area, if possible out of the "danger zone" of each other. Then a few beaters and a some dogs bred and trained for the job disturb the whole area to get all kinds of game moving, hoping it will try to pass one or more of the guns. As beaters and dogs are few and far apart, game will often be moving relatively slow or even pausing in sight of a hunter, allowing for more accurate shooting. Now, this type of hunting asks different tasks from the rifle used, as game may vary vastly in size, range and movement. First, the rifle has to be powerful enough for the heaviest task it may be presented, IE a non-trophy red deer at close to 200m, or a rear end raking shot at a big boar already wounded by another hunter. The next moment it has to be accurate enough to hit a roe deer at over 100m, presenting only the 3" wide neck, or the head of a fox at the same range. Then it has to be lively enough to shoot at a running boar passing at 30 paces, or, when "cleaning up" afterwards, stop an enraged boar in thick brush at 5 paces. You never know which task comes next, and there is no time to change more specialized rifles. This is not mere theory, but all these jobs were done for me by this M-Sch 1910.

A lot like Scandinavian driven game hunting One dog and one hunter moving animals hopefully towards prepositioned hunters at stands.

Sounds like a good method. I have always worried if ever doing fast driven hunting, to identify and shoot game well running at fast speed. Much better of they are walking, or stopped.

Great thread from 2010.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: classic case of overkill... [Re: NitroX]
      #347406 - 01/12/20 05:37 AM

Yes - agreed - I enjoyed reading it again. I got rather long winded on the 1st page. LOL

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
      #348017 - 17/12/20 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It looks a handy little rifle.

You are right, that's why I use this rifle more than any other for our culling hunts. I took the photo not to brag about the kill, but as part of an answer to a question from another party: Did Mannlicher-Schoenauers with carbine-length barrels but half-stocked ever exist as a factory option? Obviously, yes!
To explain why I used this rifle on such a tiny roe, I have to tell about our kind of culling hunt. As a forester I work and live in slightly hilly country, stocked predominantly with hardwood forests of mixed age. We don't use the classic "driven boar hunt" any more, in which a small area of forest is surrounded by a closely spaced line of guns, a line of beaters setting the game to flight through the gunline. This was the European domain of the double rifle, but usually leads to a lot of wounded or miserably shot game. Instead, we place the hunters in strategic stands distributed over a larger forest area, if possible out of the "danger zone" of each other. Then a few beaters and a some dogs bred and trained for the job disturb the whole area to get all kinds of game moving, hoping it will try to pass one or more of the guns. As beaters and dogs are few and far apart, game will often be moving relatively slow or even pausing in sight of a hunter, allowing for more accurate shooting. Now, this type of hunting asks different tasks from the rifle used, as game may vary vastly in size, range and movement. First, the rifle has to be powerful enough for the heaviest task it may be presented, IE a non-trophy red deer at close to 200m, or a rear end raking shot at a big boar already wounded by another hunter. The next moment it has to be accurate enough to hit a roe deer at over 100m, presenting only the 3" wide neck, or the head of a fox at the same range. Then it has to be lively enough to shoot at a running boar passing at 30 paces, or, when "cleaning up" afterwards, stop an enraged boar in thick brush at 5 paces. You never know which task comes next, and there is no time to change more specialized rifles. This is not mere theory, but all these jobs were done for me by this M-Sch 1910.

A lot like Scandinavian driven game hunting One dog and one hunter moving animals hopefully towards prepositioned hunters at stands.

Sounds like a good method. I have always worried if ever doing fast driven hunting, to identify and shoot game well running at fast speed. Much better of they are walking, or stopped.

Great thread from 2010.

I've always wondered about the effect on the meat of running vs standing game. It might be just one of those stories, but I grew up hearing that an animal that was agitated and exerting itself when it expired produced tougher meat than if it was relaxed. Doesn't really matter if it's being ground into sausages, but for steaks....

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
      #348022 - 17/12/20 05:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is an example of a reopened thread, twice. Originally 2010, reopened in 2016 and again 2020.

I may have seen it before, probably planned to comment but never did. A lovely post by Kuduae.

Enjoyed it, the pictures and the stories and comments.

And particularly the rifle.

I'm with you on that. Even with the various searches in which I often lose myself, I can't possibly review every thread that was posted in the many years before I discovered this (my favourite) forum. These little flashbacks often bring up interesting info I might otherwise have missed, such as the little detour into bolt-mounted peeps that was so informative.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26260

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com