Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tang sights, Verguerio

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
C_Davidson
.224 member

Reged: 31/12/11
Loc: USA
Tang sights, Verguerio
      #286883 - 24/08/16 06:14 PM

I've acquired a Portuguese Verguerio action and barrel. Not a barreled action just the two separate items. I'll make a sporter with them. The barrel is 8mm, with strong rifling but frosty groves. It should clean up reasonably well. I'm going to ask my gunsmith to turn the barrel down a bit, give it more taper to make it lighter -- and prettier.

I've seen many pictures in this forum of Mannlichers with tang sights mounted behind the action. I really like the Marbles tang sight on my Savage 99, and think I'd like a similar sight on the Verguerio. I'm assuming tang sights on mannlichers fold back as the bolt is worked and return to battery as the bolt goes forward, much like the Lyman 36. Is this Correct? Can anyone explain this type of sight in a little more detail, please? Could any of the currently available tang sights for lever actions and such be modified to Work?

I do have a plan in my head for a very tidy cooking piece sight that might work very well. It's based on the XS ghost ring scout rifle sight, which is mounted on the receiver bridge of bolt action rifles.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Tang sights, Verguerio [Re: C_Davidson]
      #286899 - 25/08/16 01:48 AM

Hope the barrel doesn't 'grow' too much form turning it. Turning finished barrels that have been shot is not a good idea, my old accuracy gun smith told me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

C_Davidson
.224 member

Re: Tang sights, Verguerio [Re: DarylS]
      #286911 - 25/08/16 05:23 AM

I've never heard that about turning a fired barrel. I do know that barrels can get longer while being turned, as they heat up during the process, and if the guy running the lathe doesn't keep that in mind, they can warp.

Looking at the Verguerio next to a standard 98 Mauser action it appears the triggers are identical. So, any adjustable 98 trigger group ought to work on the Verguerio. M98 trigger guards will interchange. I think these features will let the Verguerio make into a really nice rifle.

DarylS
.700 member

#286913 - 25/08/16 05:30 AM

That smith did not want to turn the match barrel for my front aperture sight base that was 3/4" for the reason given above. Instead. He made me a new base to fit the barrel - no charge. He felt it was too much to risk, since it was the muzzle.
He also noted much had to do with the stress relieving of the barrel, if done at all.

--------------------
Daryl

C_Davidson
.224 member

Re: Tang sights, Verguerio [Re: DarylS]
      #286922 - 25/08/16 09:00 AM

I understand that messing with the muzzle end of a heavy match barrel or the like can influence accuracy. Dovetail slots or screw holes can cause a shift. The best system is a clamp on front sight. The Verguerio won't be in that category of rifles. I'm going to stock it in a classic Bavarian/Austrian style so a slimed barrel would be nice. I'm going to inlet the barrel and action into a M98 stock, which it almost fits, then carve a pattern stock that fits me and have it duplicated in nice wood.

I'm still interested in the tang sights. I really like them.

DarylS
.700 member

#286927 - 25/08/16 11:28 AM

Should be nice! Best Wishes on the project.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1685

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com