Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rendeer hunting in East Iceland

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
joivill
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/10
Loc: Iceland
Rendeer hunting in East Iceland
      #235251 - 07/09/13 06:03 AM

https://picasaweb.google.com/116669942025993049137/Hreindyr2013#

I was coming from rendeer hunting in North - East Iceland We was in place who are names Haugsöræfi
in 800 meters high mountains.

Thanks Johann Vilhjalmsson
www.icelandicknives.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Rendeer hunting in East Iceland [Re: joivill]
      #235261 - 07/09/13 09:33 AM

Hello joivill,

Seeing the photo you posted brings back good memories. I had 7 great weeks in Iceland back in 1989. Was there in September and October if I remember correctly, hunting Reindeer and Ptarmigan, fishing for Salmon, sampling the available alcoholic offerings and generally admiring the scenery. Went by myself, nothing planned, just went and found heaps to do.

Gullfoss blew me away, as did the hot water geysers and the glaciers, not anything this Aussie boy had seen up close and personal before.

Loved the "bush" in Iceland, was told "If you get lost here, stand up" Other than a Birch tree about 5 meters tall I saw in someones back yard in Reykjavik, the foliage was all about waist high.

Incredible scenery, stark, harsh, lonely, desolate and absolutely beautiful.

First time I'd ever driven on the right side of the road too, that was exciting in itself. Playing in the big jacked-up 4x4's was fun, climbing up rock walls and trying to get bogged.

We visited the Westman Islands and saw the most amazing incredible display of the northern lights there one night. Went out in a ridiculously small boat into the big rough north sea, the skipper thought nothing of it and so we caught a heap of cod and haddock. Walked around on the still hot lava there of the volcano that came up in the middle of town one Christmas eve in the 70's

I was a gunsmith's apprentice back home at the time, so naturally I visited all the gun shops and fishing shops I could find. I remember one that was called "the Hunters House" I think, it was facing the harbor in Reykjavik if I remember correctly (it's been a few years) Spent a fair bit of time in there.

One young bloke there, Gunnur, actually took a day off to take me out after the Ptarmigan. Lent me a shotgun and supplied the shells too. He was aghast that I chose improved cylinder choke and 1-1/8oz #6 shells. He used full choke and 42 gram #1's. I remember thinking "are these bloody birds bullet proof". Anyway I ended up with 12 or 13 birds for the day so I was extremely happy. Gunnur the little bugger, would not take any money for food, shells or fuel for the day, just said I could return the favor one day when he comes to Australia. Good bloke that, haven't seen him over here yet though.

I absolutely had a ball there in Iceland, I was 24 years old

Maybe one day I'll get back there, this time with my family...

Great memories. Thank you

Best
ALEX

--------------------

Details matter!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1711

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com