Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The new Auto Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
The new Auto Mag
      #367429 - 03/07/22 01:51 AM

In the late 1960, I remember reading in Guns and Ammo about a new handgun being developed by Harry Sanford: the 44 Automag. It was to sell for a little over $200 and required a deposit. The manufacturer was the Auto Mag Corp. The pistol finally came out in 1971.

The initial cartridge was the 44 AMP (Auto Mag Pistol) and soon there were various necked down versions such as the 41 AMP, 357 AMP, 30 AMP, 25 AMP and probably more. The more successful was the 357 AMP which launched a 158 gr slug from a long barrel at a velocity close to 2000 fps (from what I remember). The cases were cut down 308 cases.

The original Auto Mag Corp apparently was underfunded and folded after producing some 3000 pistols. Over the next 11 years, several other ventures would buy the assets and start producing Automags but then declare bankruptcy.

In the mid-1070, Gun Digest had a multipart series about the wonderful Automag, discussing the various calibers and barrel lengths and noted gun writers that uses these pistols.

While there were stories in several magazines about shooting and hunting with this pistol, I never seemed to find one to shoot. That changes about 10 years ago. The one that I found shoots very well. The ammo is easy to reload using Starline brass. However, from what I read, many of the original Automags have functioning problems.

Around 2015, another company (Auto Mag Ltd., Co – www.automag.com) was formed to produce Automags. Auto Mag Ltd bought the remaining assets from the Harry Sanford’s son. However, Auto Mag Ltd decided to reengineer the pistol to make it a reliable big bore pistol. From their blog, they reviewed every aspect of the pistol, constantly making modifications. Much (if not all) of the work is performed in house to eliminate supplier quality problems.

The new Automags were recently featured in the following YouTube videos which you may enjoy watching:

https://youtu.be/ORUCly0nrbI
https://youtu.be/erbxUVpsrs8

I may break down and buy a new Automag with an 8 ˝” barrel.

--------------------
RB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The new Auto Mag [Re: 85lc]
      #367451 - 03/07/22 09:20 PM

I understand starline is making factory brass now? that helps a lot.
allways like the automag because its a scaled up walther P 38 action.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The new Auto Mag [Re: lancaster]
      #367461 - 04/07/22 01:11 AM

"Demolitian Ranch" in Texas had one a short while back, not sure if a new one of an old one. It jammed a lot/failed to cycle properly.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Re: The new Auto Mag [Re: DarylS]
      #367462 - 04/07/22 02:14 AM

Quote:

"Demolitian Ranch" in Texas had one a short while back, not sure if a new one of an old one. It jammed a lot/failed to cycle properly.

Daryl,

I would believe that if the pistol jammed a lot, that very likely was an older (1970-1982) Automag. Some of the older automags worked fairly well but a number did not. Luckily, mine works.

The new Automags have undergone a reengineering from 2015 to 2021 with many prototype models built and modifications made. It seems like many of the parts were modified like the firing pin being changed to titaniam to cut weight to prevent slam firing or the magazine being slightly lengthen to improve feeding.

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The new Auto Mag [Re: 85lc]
      #367471 - 04/07/22 01:40 PM

That was my thought, as well.
Matt wondered how Dirty Harry's Automag always went bang, bang.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Re: The new Auto Mag [Re: DarylS]
      #367494 - 05/07/22 02:56 AM

Daryl, Good question about that pistol. I read that the AutoMag used by Clint in Dirty Harry was a special, hand built pistol with an 8 1/2" barrel that could only fire blanks. The actual blank ammo may have been slightly necked to provide better feeding. Also I understood that the barrel had an internal restrictor to aid in function as it only fired blanks. Being a short recoil pistol. I wonder if (in addition to the barrel restricor) the bolt was actually locked or just held by spring pressure.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1021

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com