Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8x75 mm RS in a double?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dotchicco
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/16
Loc: ITALY
Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: Yochanan]
      #321253 - 05/11/18 06:44 AM

Probably the only reason why this caliber is still nominated is the love affair with H.Goering, as written before. Nowaday, probably, there are better calibers for doubles. The 30R Blaser probably could be a good choice, with several factory loads available. Blaser has a K95 in production, chambered in 8x68S. If it's possible to built a kipplauf in this caliber... Well...
A double in 8x68S should be THE weapon.
Doc

Edited by dotchicco (05/11/18 07:13 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: dotchicco]
      #321274 - 06/11/18 04:00 AM

Dotchicco, treat yourself; there will be a 8x68S double-rifle auctioned at the upcoming Springer auction on 8 November, see https://auctions.springer-vienna.com/de/...mp;currentpos=2 !
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: Louis]
      #321283 - 06/11/18 06:58 AM

Wow that is a seriously nice piece Louis!
Best to get in early Doc & get a bid on that one.....best to ask forgiveness than permission!
Very nice indeed!

dotchicco
.300 member

Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: Louis]
      #321289 - 06/11/18 08:58 AM

Mamma Mia!!
This is really awsome!
Unfortunately i'm out of budget right now... I have just bought a Mauser Europa.
But this double is what i have imagined in my most unrestrained dreams!
Doc

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #321291 - 06/11/18 10:00 AM

My objections to this object: 1. Rimless cartridge designed for a bolt gun 2. Kaisergriff 3. Fish scale checkering 4. SEM bases but no rings and scope and 5. Engraving straight out of the Suhler design book. Other than that, wonderful!

Seriously, why would anyone choose a rimless cartridge for a double rifle when there is a perfectly satisfactory rimmed alternative?

Kaiser Wilhelm had a withered left arm which he had to compensate for with a peculiar pistol grip. Why would anyone with normal arms want such a thing?

Fish scales may be more decorative, but they are certainly not more functional than normal checkering, and a stock should above all be functional.

Why should someone pay a fortune for a double rifle and then have to go to the additional expense of having it fitted with a scope, unless the original owner carelessly lost the one which fit those bases?

I have exactly the same engraving pattern on the lock plates of both my off the shelf Krieghoff sidelock O/U double rifle and on the lock plates of my off the shelf Krieghoff sidelock drilling as on the lock plates of this rifle. Surely something supposedly this special deserves an original work of art.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: xausa]
      #321293 - 06/11/18 03:39 PM

I agree, I have never seen the need to use a rimless cartridge in a double or a falling block when there are so many good rimmed cartridges still available even if only with hand loading.

I have to say that for me the 8x75RS holds a lot of appeal, even without the Herman Goering connection. It is one of those sexy cartridges that looks great and has good performance, especially with 220 and 250 grain bullets. I have always wanted a light weight SxS stalking double in that cartridge and have purchased brass and dies in preparation. One day.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #321298 - 06/11/18 06:11 PM

Quote:

Probably the only reason why this caliber is still nominated is the love affair with H.Goering, as written before. Nowaday, probably, there are better calibers for doubles. The 30R Blaser probably could be a good choice, with several factory loads available. Blaser has a K95 in production, chambered in 8x68S. If it's possible to built a kipplauf in this caliber... Well...
A double in 8x68S should be THE weapon.
Doc

Really?!

Who wants a modern .30R Blaser? Fine for those who want one. Does the job in a modern way. But you do realise NE discussions are on a lot of older cartridges.

As for a 8x68S in a double, fine choice of a bolt action but no way in a double IMO ... unless a rimmed version.

Quote:

Probably the only reason why this caliber is still nominated is the love affair with H.Goering

What an insulting comment to me, the opening poster.

Now if a non retarded look is taken, the 9.3x74R, the parent case, is going strong. The 8mm version, would make a handy rimmed lighter rifle for medium game. Of more power than lesser 8mm, but still rimmed for good extraction.

Proof is it is still chambered in modern double rifles by a number of makers.

And just because some infamous person used one once, only retards obsess on that ... either pro or con ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

dotchicco
.300 member

Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: NitroX]
      #321303 - 06/11/18 10:59 PM

Dear Nitrox,
I didn't want to offend anybody; I just was refering to the fact that when someone in a forum or in a FB discussion talk about the 8x75RS, unavoidably someone else talks about H.G. and his predilection for this caliber. It's just an historic objectivity that this caliber is thightly bound to an historical period, and to a specific person. If you take a look to auction web site from germany, you will find many references about this, continuously. My comment was about this, and there was no intenction to offending you. I have always believed that this forum was a place were was possible to talk about firearms, theyr story and theyr owners without preconceptions. So forgive me, probably i have verbalized in a bad way. (I was intending the love affair between goering and the 8x75RS... Not anything else. But my English is not perfect...)
Said this, i agree with you that a rimmed caliber is what a double rifle requires, and that a Rimless caliber is a blasphemy (nevertheless we see thousands of doubles in 30.06.. ).
As you probably remember i'm a collector of uncommon calibers and firearms, (7x66, 8x68S, 9,3x64) and for this reason i was supporting the 8x68S, i know how hard can be (sometime impossible) to find brasses, dies, or reloading supplies for strange calibers... by the way, i agree that this particular caliber has a lot of charm (also for his history in african german colonies). Hope this can clarify the situation.
Doc

Edited by dotchicco (07/11/18 08:08 AM)

xausa
.400 member

#321310 - 07/11/18 05:42 AM

The allegation that the 8X75RS was Herman Goering´s favorite cartridge is anything but a recommendation for it. Personally, I regard Herman Goering's preference for the 8X75RS as a negative, not a reason to be attracted to a cartridge.

Goering had the excuse of being addicted to drugs for some of his excesses, but once dried out and having shed a good deal of excess weight, he presented himself as perhaps the most formidable defendant on the dock at Nürnberg. The psychiatrist who interviewed the prisoners during the trial found him to be the most intelligent of the lot.

Of the "Big Four", Hitler, Goering, Goebels and Himmler, he was probably the least objectionable. "Der Dicke" (The Fat One) undoubtedly enjoyed the most popularity among the German people, and he was a legitimate "Pour le Merite" winner in World War I, who led the Richtofen Staffel after The Red Baron´s death, but his taste was reflected in his love for comic opera uniforms and gaudy jewelry.

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
      #321313 - 07/11/18 07:31 AM

Since I last posted in this thread a friend has picked up my admiration for the cartridge and bought 4 rifles in it via egun.de, 3 of which are now In Sydney.
I on the other hand seem to have developed the bad affliction of African safariitis which has thus far prevented me from buying one off him, despite concluding that either his kliplauf or bockdrilling would be suitable additions to my safe.
Perhaps I secretly pine to be a fat air ace in charge of an entire country’s game reserves as I must admit that I like the look of another of Herman’s allegedly faves, the 9,3x70DWM and think it would be a better option if I keep returning to Africa.
On paper it loses little to the .375/.404 wildcat advocated by the owner of another forum

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#321323 - 07/11/18 07:39 PM

Dotchicco, I don't think anyone was offended and what you say is quite correct, anytime that cartridge gets mentioned Herman Goering also gets mentioned, particularly in any German article. Norbert Klups mentions HG every time he talks about the 8x75RS and tells you how HG is not responsible for the popularity of the cartridge and that any such talk should be dismissed, but than goes on to tell you about him anyway.

Good to see that you are a collector and shooter of rare and interesting cartridges, that's what this forum is about.

Matt.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #321357 - 08/11/18 08:08 PM

Quote:

Dotchicco, I don't think anyone was offended and what you say is quite correct, anytime that cartridge gets mentioned Herman Goering also gets mentioned, particularly in any German article. Norbert Klups mentions HG every time he talks about the 8x75RS and tells you how HG is not responsible for the popularity of the cartridge and that any such talk should be dismissed, but than goes on to tell you about him anyway.

Good to see that you are a collector and shooter of rare and interesting cartridges, that's what this forum is about.

Matt.

Hear Hear - especially the 9.3x64mm!!

And yes......Spot on Matt

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #321360 - 09/11/18 01:51 AM

I have thought of for along time to have a an additional set of 8x75RS barrels for my .450 Nitro. Threads like these promote the idea closer to action.

Another good one would be the 9,3x65 Brenneke Rimmed.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #321376 - 09/11/18 08:46 AM

And it continues ... if anyone wants to obsess about Goering please take it to the political forum. Not the double rifle forum ...

I borught up "Uncle Hermann" in the opening post onlyu to get it out of the way. Because of a past discussion with a fellow forum member elsewhere. But all irrelevant ...

... Goering was also the Huntmaster of Germany, had some rifles and guns, sometimes there are interesting hunting photos posted on the net. As for the way it was 73 ffffing years ago!!!. And irrespective of the Hollywood regurgitated and often made up propaganda stories created every year, there has not been another Nazi gov't since 1945. Unlike the marxist gov'ts which Hollywood loves, and the cultural marxism which Hollywood also loves. And the every increasing marxism of the UN and its desire for a worldwide "sustainable" marxist world gov't ...

All irrelevant to a double rifle forum. Again to repeat, a 8x75RS is based in the popular and well in use 9.3x74R cartidge in .323 form. And should be quite effective. Probably its defect is a 9.3 can probably do what the 8mm does anyway and better. But I would have a 8x75RS in my gun safe and hunting use, if I had unlimited funds to buy all the toys I would like.

I think a 8x75RS with a bullet in the range of 180 gr to 200 gr would make a neat medium game rifle and also handy and effective for running game. The rimmed equivalent of a 8x68S in a bolt action.

So lets start a new discussion. Why not a 8x68RS? The rimmed equivalent of the 8x68S. We very rarely hear of the 8x68RS?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#321378 - 09/11/18 09:03 AM

I wrote a long reply: eg the 5.56; 7.62x39; the .405 Winchester; the .45/70; the .303 British; 7.62x51; 7.62x54; the 9mm Parabellum etc etc etc - on all the "evil" cartridges because they were used by someone, then deleted it .

Instead to poiint out, how ridiculous this is, and how comments about a cartridge being evil because someone once used it, is so like the antis claiming firearms are evil because some are sometimes used for wrong purposes.

Only fools associate an inanimate object or tool as evil because another similar tool might be used for evil purposes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (09/11/18 09:08 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#321382 - 09/11/18 09:39 AM

This thread has been killed off now anyway, so Herrman away ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

dotchicco
.300 member

#321395 - 09/11/18 11:34 PM

Quote:

... Goering was also the Huntmaster of Germany, had some rifles and guns, sometimes there are interesting hunting photos posted on the net. As for the way it was 73 ffffing years ago!!!. And irrespective of the Hollywood regurgitated and often made up propaganda stories created every year, there has not been another Nazi gov't since 1945. Unlike the marxist gov'ts which Hollywood loves, and the cultural marxism which Hollywood also loves. And the every increasing marxism of the UN and its desire for a worldwide "sustainable" marxist world gov't ...

I agree 100%.

Doc

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #321416 - 10/11/18 11:36 AM

Quote:

I think a 8x75RS with a bullet in the range of 180 gr to 200 gr would make a neat medium game rifle and also handy and effective for running game. The rimmed equivalent of a 8x68S in a bolt action.

So lets start a new discussion. Why not a 8x68RS? The rimmed equivalent of the 8x68S. We very rarely hear of the 8x68RS?

I have only seen two Austrian doubles in 8x68s - chambered for the rimless case. I don't like the 8x75RS as I think the neck is kind of short. 8x65RS Brenneke is a very appealing round. an 8x68RS would also be sweet. It would be quite easy to neck up 6,5x68R brass to 8mm...

9,3x65R Brenneke would be a perfect cartridge for those whom wants to use hunt big game. More suitable than the x74r.

I checked some old Blaser catalogues. There used to be a n 8mm Blaser R that seems to have been discontinued

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

xausa
.400 member

Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: Yochanan]
      #321549 - 14/11/18 09:53 PM

Some time back I bought a Krieghoff Ulm Primus O/U double rifle in caliber 7X65R. The rifle is still in Germany at my gun maker's. I have never been happy with the choice of caliber, which I consider inappropriate for a double rifle, so earlier this week I asked my gun maker if the barrels could be rebored to 8mm and rechambered to 8X65RS of 8X75RS. He replied that the barrels were large enough, but that he would recommend the 8X65RS. Since he is the one performing the work, I will bow to his recommendation. I already have a drilling with a rifle barrel in that caliber, so I am set up to load for it. I think a double rifle in the rimmed version of the 8X64S may be just the ticket for a Texas hog hunt.

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
      #321562 - 15/11/18 06:34 AM

I’d expect the narrow shoulder and body taper of the 8x75RS would mean that the reamer wouldn’t touch the shoulder edge of the 7x65R after rebore. From memory even taking a x75RS reamer to a x57IRS chamber may create a double shouldered monster.

xausa
.400 member

Re: 8x75 mm RS in a double? [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #321570 - 15/11/18 09:45 AM

That is a consideration I had not taken into account. It certainly makes sense. Good point!

It is snowing outside at the moment and the deer are in the rut. Muzzle loading season ends the day after tomorrow and rifle season begins. Daily bag limit: 3, of which only one may be antlered. Only two antlered deer allowed per season. The season ends the first week in January.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #321573 - 15/11/18 12:15 PM

Some careful measurements must be taken.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#321579 - 15/11/18 10:46 PM

I just checked both cartridges and the 8x75RS is 0.3mm (0.012") smaller in diameter at the same point at the shoulder of the 7x65R. In other words the 8x75RS reamer will not clean up the chamber of your rifle.

Matt.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26662

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com