Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Straight stocks on a DR.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Straight stocks on a DR.
      #29883 - 22/04/05 03:44 PM

I handled a Arrietta this evening in 9.3x74r. It was absolutly beautifull. Engraving, fit and finish, wood, the whole works was absolutly the best looking DR I've ever seen. (In or out of the Holland and Holland Boutique in NY.)

It did have one intresting/odd feauture, a straight, English style stock. I can't for the life of me ever remember seeing a DR with a straight stock. I have not seen that many, but ...

Was this/is this common? Is there more felt recoil? Is it faster? What's the deal?

I love my double shotguns with straight stocks, I think maybe a 375f or 400J from Butch might be the final decision for my first serious DR and I'm kind of excited about the possibility of a straight stock. Is this a bad idea?

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Straight stocks on a DR. [Re: Rell]
      #29884 - 22/04/05 03:51 PM

I think it would depend on the caliber. I like a cheekpiece on hard kicking rifles as it gives me more things to get tight on.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Straight stocks on a DR. [Re: mickey]
      #29896 - 22/04/05 10:46 PM

Agree with Mickey...
Pulling the stock firmly into the shoulder is popularly believed to reduce felt recoil: definitely facilitated by a pistol-grip and hampered by a straight grip. Even shotguns designed for heavy loads, typically pidgeon-guns for example, invariably featured at least a semi-pistol grip (either 'bag-grip' or 'Prince o' Wales' grip).

The pistol-grip is for recoil control, pure and simple. A light-calibre double rifle may get away with a straight grip, a heavy hitter definitely needs a pistol-grip. The 9.3 is somewhere in between, so depends on rifle weight more than anything. Ten pounds and a straight stock may be quite OK, eight pounds and think again!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #29901 - 23/04/05 12:02 AM

Weren't straight gripped stocks a shotgun feature to help with easier barrel selection on choked guns?

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

MacNaughton
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/05
Loc: Somerset. U.K.
Re: Straight stocks on a DR. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #29911 - 23/04/05 02:53 AM

Mehul. No they weren`t ( a minor consequence perhaps. )
A straight grip facilitates easier and faster handling of a gun for bird shooting ( particularly ) - `snap` shooting if you prefer.
A `Pigeon` ( more accurately `live pigeon`, to differentiate from `clay pigeon` ) gun has extra weight, a raised rib and a `Prince of Wales` or full pistol grip to reduce recoil and steady the gun because it was pre-mounted - a trap gun in other words. A `pigeon gun` with three inch chambers isn`t a pigeon gun, it`s a wildfowler.
I can`t say that I fancy shooting a heavy calibre double rifle without a pistol grip.............( and I don`t believe that Buffalo are trained to respond to the command `pull` ! )

--------------------
Nothing compares to a `Best Gun.`

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #29920 - 23/04/05 07:00 AM

Rell,
A curved grip looks better than a straight grip (straight hand) on a double rifle IMO but in a medium cartridge like 9.3 I really doubt that there would be any problems associated with it.
A tightly hooked grip will indeed allow you to pull a gun in real tight to the shoulder but many 2 trigger double rifles actually have long open style grips and if you look at the hand position in relation to the grip, you'll see that the hand is really only in contact with the straightest part of the curve anyway.
My 470 has a curved open style grip.
A friend owns a 375 Flanged Mag by the same maker as my 470 but his has the straight hand stock.
I haven't fired his rifle but just throwing it quickly to the shoulder I don't notice any real difference in the feel at the grip compared to my curved grip 470.
On a medium power cartridge like the 9.3/74 or 375 fm I wouldn't knock back a double merely on the fact that it had a straight style grip.
This of course applies to 2 trigger doubles only.
Single trigger double rifles are a different story.

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: Straight stocks on a DR. [Re: 4seventy]
      #29954 - 24/04/05 04:59 AM

A straight stock will produce less perceived recoil. This is because the line of recoil force is closer to the line of resistance so the gun or rifle does not rise up as much in recoil. Try shooting a Winchester M1894. The 30-30 is no thumper, but the M1894 will punish you more than my 400-360 becasue it has excess drop.

However, the choice is not driven by recoil considerations, but rather fit while aiming or pointing. The classic british double gun has a straight stock and splinter forend which causes the shooter to tend to shoot a bit higher, desirable when shooting at driven birds passing over head. (Coming in above the gun.) Guns with a pistol grip need to have a beavertail forend to compensate for the pistol grip, increasing the overall weight. For rough shooting (upland hunting here in the US.) the gun should follow the driven bird gun pattern or may have a slight pistol grip (Prince of Wales grip.) or a full pistol grip and a semi-beavertail forearm to cause the shooter to tend to shoot a bit lower.

In the case of the rifle, the game is "coming in under the gun" and so a pistol grip and splinter forearm are the order of the day. Fit is not quite as critical in the rifle since it is aimed instead of pointed like a gun. (Tell that to the guy who has something big and nasty coming at him fast.)

But each shooter is an individual, so he may find that breaking the rule works for him. I have seen a gun with grotesquely extreme cast off for a right handed shooter who was blind in the right eye.

Edited by unspellable (24/04/05 05:01 AM)

MacNaughton
.275 member

Re: Straight stocks on a DR. [Re: unspellable]
      #30028 - 25/04/05 03:03 PM

A very nicely concise response `unspellable`. I have to agree about the ridiculous drop of many older Winchester lever action rifles and the amount of perceived recoil produced. The Townsend Whelan NRA stocks fitted to the models 64,65 and 71 transformed lever action handling ( and comfort ) and the stocks fitted to most modern lever actions are much more in that style.
One thing to remember if one is ever tempted to fit a beavertail fore-end to a straight grip stocked gun originally fitted with a splinter fore-end is that the gun will shoot VERY high.
A gun with a pistol grip will not produce any more recoil than a straight grip if the comb height is retained - ie, as in most modern guns, and especially competition guns which have very high combs.
There are also cultural reasons to account for the differences in style between British and American `rough` ( upland ) shooting guns. The British gun inevitably had a straight grip and splinter fore-end, the American a pistol grip and beavertail. Another difference would be that the British gun would usually be between 6lb 4oz and 6lb 12oz and the American in the region of 7 1/4 lbs. That style of American `upland` gun has been advocated by several American writers over the years. I believe that if hunting for `walked-up` game the English style is preferable however if hunting over a dog the American style has definite merit.
`Crossover` stocks frequently appear on guns at British auctions. Their use was not only confined to those suffering the loss of an eye as they were also built for those who were right handed and had a left master eye and vice versa. A less extreme cast can be found on `central vision` guns. ( Note to anyone considering buying a gun with a crossover stock because it is cheap and thinking of having the stock bent straight - don`t bother. The bend is so extreme that the stock is highly unlikely to bend without snapping. Also, on a bespoke gun the trigger and top straps will be curved to follow the line of the stock. )
I agree with the consensus. A straight grip on a double rifle chambered for the 9.3x74R is most unlikely to be a problem.

--------------------

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Straight stocks on a DR. [Re: MacNaughton]
      #30042 - 26/04/05 01:49 AM

I've handled, but not shot several small calibre double rifles with straigh stocks over the years. I think in 7mm, or even 8mm they would be sweet, especially with an extra set of 20 guage barrels. But I'm not sure about them once you get to the 9.3x74r level.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (08/05/05 12:08 AM)

unspellable
.300 member

#30091 - 26/04/05 10:15 PM

I think part (a substantial part) of the American style gun is the American preoccupation with "magnumitis". Americans insist in asking a given gauge to do the job of the next bigger gauge. And of course an overloaded gun must be over weight to keep the recoil managable. This allows beavertails and the like to be used with out any weight penalty. For myself, most of my double guns are in the British style and I don't use 3 inch loads.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #30134 - 27/04/05 03:52 PM

My sixteen bore Mahillon pinfire double rifle is straight-wristed.
Lovely too.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

MacNaughton
.275 member

#30161 - 28/04/05 10:13 AM

I have a couple of 3" chambered English wildfowl guns, one has a straight grip and weighs 7 lbs, the other has a `Price of Wales` grip and weighs 7 lbs 4 oz. Neither produces excessive recoil. The gun with the semi-pistol grip is particularly easy to shoot, not I think because of the grip but because it has short, 27" barrels with the extra weight in the action and breech ends of the barrels. I suppose the point is that a three inch gun isn`t going to be used anything like as much as a general game gun - and neither is a rifle. I would have thought that recoil is pretty similar in both to a 9.3x74R so can`t see a problem with a straight gripped rifle in that calibre - especially as the rifle is likely to be heavier.
I know what you mean about `magnumitis` but don`t think it always applies. When Chuck Hawks was looking for an English hammer gun recently his specification pretty well matched the American upland game gun detailed earlier in the thread. His concern was that without the weight shooting the gun would be uncomfortable. I can`t see that myself - especially as guns used for driven Pheasant shoots weigh in the order of a pound less and could be expected to fire at least a couple of hundred cartridges in a day. In the past several hundred cartridges a day were often used...........I reckon a couple of hundred three inch cartridges a day would cause anyone to become recoil `shy` before very long.

--------------------

unspellable
.300 member

#30191 - 28/04/05 10:32 PM

The British makers had a rule of thumb concerning recoil to the effect that the gun should weigh 96 times the weight of the shot. Following this rule a gun intended for one ounce of shot should weight exactly six pounds.

A 12 gauge for driven bird shooting will be intended to use a 2-1/2 inch cartridge loaded with 7/8 of an ounce of shot. If it weighs 6-1/4 pounds its over the rule of thumb weight and should not produce excessive recoil.

Over loading a gun results in poor patterning and wastes much of the extra shot. It has to be overweight to keep recoil within reason. That's where we are here in the US with 12 gauge loads in a 20 and 10 gauge loads in a 12.

I don't think the grip has any effect on perceived recoil. The amount of drop has a major effect on perceived recoil. Height of comb will also have an effect but I think the amount of drop has the largest effect.

You will note the trend in modern military rifles is to greatly reduce the drop, in some cases all the way to zero.

It's to be admitted that one expects to fire a gun more than a rifle, but on the other hand, flinch probably affects the results more with a rifle since you are aiming rather than pointing and firing during the swing.

MacNaughton
.275 member

#30209 - 29/04/05 03:49 AM

I have to admit to never having heard of the 96:1 `rule` and thank you for revealing it - a handy `rule of thumb`. The standard 2 1/2" cartridge load in the UK was 1 1/8" oz by the way though 1 oz loads are at least as popular nowadays. Yup, agreed, the longer the shot `column` for any particular bore/gauge, the more `stringing` with a consequent degradation of pattern.

--------------------

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
      #30216 - 29/04/05 09:58 AM

The straight hand stock was designed
to allow recoil to reposition the
the hand (finger) for a second trigger.
The straight porition allowed the stock
to slip through the hand. This why the
finger was repositioned. Some stock
makers use a reach for the front trigger
approach. The reach methoed on a pistol
grip is what I prefer for double rifles. Shotguns
are where the straight stocks belong.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

MacNaughton
.275 member

Re: Straight stocks on a DR. [Re: k80]
      #30504 - 04/05/05 02:02 PM

Sorry but that`s just not the case. It`s a myth propagated some time ago that has developed into popular belief. The vast majority of single barrel flintlock sporting guns had straight grips - likewise single trigger double-barrel guns.
The straight grip became universal amongst English sporting guns because of the type of shooting it was most used for. When you have little idea of when and where a bird is coming from the straight grip allows for faster mounting and handling. When you do know pretty well when a bird - or clay - is coming ( and where from ) the gun can be pre-mounted and a pistol grip makes sense.
Anyone that allows the grip to move through their hand on recoil is asking for a smack in the face from the stock - the trigger finger moves, NOT the hand.

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #30695 - 07/05/05 09:39 AM

A couple of points; the std English feild or game load is 1 1/16 oz. 1 1/16oz times 96 eqals 6lbs 6oz. 1 1/8oz times 96 equals 6lbs 12oz. 1 1/4oz times 96 equals 7lbs 8oz. The 2 1/2" shell std loading is 1 1/16oz, the 2 3/4" std loading is 1 1/8oz and the std pidgeon load is 1 1/4oz. This is why English game guns gennerally weigh between 6 1/2lbs an 6 3/4lbs and pidgeon guns 7 1/4lbs to about 7 3/4lbs.

Virtually all American guns were built to the pidgeon weight. Try going into a dove feild and finding the average charge being shot at one of our very smallest game birds, it going to be over 1 1/8oz! The ammo catologs are full of heavy weight loadings, while the best game loads, waterfowl excepted, are found in the target ammo selections.

On hand movement I actually believe you are both right. I think the hand moves some with a straight grip but then a straight grip gun is pointed by the forward hand, or at least should be. The full pistol grip is best suited to pre mount were the mount and point is replaced by merely a swing. I also think the full pistol grip and the way it is more firmly grasped does help with recoil absorbtion.

For game shooting of all types I subscribe to the ideal being that the swing and mount "conclude" when the gun reaches the shoulder and the trigger is slapped and the swing followed through. The straight grip rules here. A pistol grip leads to too much influence from the trigger hand and this is not ideal.(I'm a lefty thus no mention of right hand or left hand only the position of the "trigger hand" or "leading hand"; I get confused when trying to translate for a righty!)

I don't believe that the style of grip leads to higher or lower shooting believing that drop at comb and heel dictate this allong with some influence from pitch.

On recoil, I have shot upwards of a thousand rounds a day for days straight at doves, pidgeons and ducks in Bolivia and Argentina with my 12ga straight and splinter gripped 6lb 12oz Arrietta "travel" gun. I'd have prefered shooting light 1oz or 7/8oz loads but the outfitters never carried them since they try to keep their shell inventory limited to shells which will cycle any auto loader even when that auto loader is getting dirtier and dirtier through the course of a day so the 3dram equivelent 1 1/8oz loads are what I shot. Recoil was never an issue with me because my gun fit. I've seen dozens of guys reduced to black, blue and red mush with their auto loaders that didn't fit well. The first time I went south the gun had a checkered butt and the friction of the butt on my shirt did cause some scabbing after three days or so. I had a leather coverd pad installed to solve this and it did.

I believe a srtaight gripped double rifle would be very quick and great for driven boar or deer hunting and was probably built with that in mind. I doubt recoil would be an issue in the calibres needed for that. For a DGR I think the pistol grip, even a pretty open one would be better by far. As for the 9.3 X 74, I've never shot one so don't know what the level of recoil would be.

JPK

unspellable
.300 member

Re: grips [Re: JPK]
      #30717 - 08/05/05 03:29 AM

<< I don't believe that the style of grip leads to higher or lower shooting believing that drop at comb and heel dictate this allong with some influence from pitch. >>

I will agree it is not the grip per se that influences the point of shooting but the drop.

How ever, last night I was enjoying one of Kentucky's finer exports and looking at the rack on the wall. A rifle with pistol grip and splinter forearm, a gun with straight grip and splinter, and a gun with pistol grip and a rather thick splinter, but not quite thick enough to call it a semi beaver. But both the rifle and the second gun had more drop than the middle gun. I am thinking I generally see more drop on a pistol gripped gun than a straight grip. Either that or my imagination is getting over heated again.

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: grips [Re: unspellable]
      #30729 - 08/05/05 08:30 AM

You are correct the height of the
comb directs up and down point
of impact.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: grips [Re: k80]
      #30732 - 08/05/05 09:41 AM

Some of you are comparing double shotguns to double rifle concepts, that just plain don't work....

A straight stock is so you can pull your hand back to the rear trigger quickly, end of story and thats its only advantage and on a double rifle it will numb your second finger or split it open whichever the case may be...Although yours is light caliber, I still suggest you invest in a rubber bumper from Galazans with a straight grip double rifle, even with a pistol grip that litter $12.00 bumper is a Godsend...

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: grips [Re: atkinson6]
      #30757 - 09/05/05 12:28 AM

FWIW, I was killing time and looking through the new rifle section (might have been used rifles) of the Griffan and Howe website when I ran across a 9.3 X 74 Thys doudle with a straight grip. On one side of the action was a running deer and on the other a running boar, kind of reinforcing my thought that doubles with straight grips might have been made with driven game in mind.

Ray,

I just don't agree with you 100%. I really find a straight grip to be quicker and to promote forward hand shooting which I find works best for game birds since the gun is not pre mounted. I've got to think that it would be quicker too for driven game like boar too.

On the second finger taking a beating issue; I've never had a problem with it no matter what gun or rifle I'm shooting. My brother on the other hand has always had the problem and with a big percentage of the guns or rifles he shoots. I'm not sure what he does differently but it is a problem for him. He just cannot master a doublr trigger gun because of this.

JPK

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: grips [Re: JPK]
      #30770 - 09/05/05 03:46 AM

I have one of those bumper things from Galazan on my 577 3". It is the only one that whacks my finger and it does help.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
Re: grips [Re: mickey]
      #30783 - 09/05/05 02:54 PM

historical note, have two German FL double rifles, an O&U and a SxS. Both have scroll pgs, wooden and brass respectively. Painters in the apartment so cannot check the cased percussion double rifles. Maybe next week.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: grips [Re: vigillinus]
      #31075 - 14/05/05 03:07 AM

After laboreusly reading the posts on this string, I believe, there those here who are quite knowledgable on shotguns, and seem to be the ones posting the most, on this string. Haveing said that, the string had to do with double rifles, and let me say, double rifles, and double shotguns are two distinctly different animals, and require different features.

Shotguns can be made light for guage, and are balanced differently than a double rifle. A "straight stock" in the context meant here, by the first poster, has nothing to do with recoil, but as in the context of the popular stock design used on an upland shotgun,to give quick access to the next trigger, and is straight in the wrist area only, not from the action to the shoulder of the shooter. Recoil on most shotguns is not a problem, be it pistolgrip, or upland (straight stocked). Double rifles are another matter all-together. The recoil can get vicious and a pistol grip stock, of large perportions (Thick, and tall from toe to heel, and massive pistolgrip) to tame some of the recoil, both to the shooter, and the stock. This is a necessity so that the next shot could be taken as quickly as possible in a life threatening sittuation, and still soak up the recoil, and to keep the stock from breaking. A properly balanced double rifle will have half it's total weight between the hands, the other half devided between the butstock, and the barrel set ahead of the fore-hand. No shotgun would be worth much for birding, especially, upland birding, balanced this way. I personally do not like a straight stock on ANYTHING but a lever action.

in the string above,the discription of how Britt shotguns are made for light loads so come apart when subjected to heavy loads over time,but handle very nicely, while the PLUMBER'S work double shotguns of American make stay together, but handle like clubs, is absolutely true. Those two sittuations are the make do on both ends. That is where the misguided thinking comes from when someone says so, and so, rifle is made on a shotgun action. The Germans disproved that theory long ago, by being the best makers of combination rifle/shotgun arms on the same action, with some haveing not only combination barrel sets, but double shot barrels, and full double rifle sets on the same action. These action are usually small for caliber,by Britt standards, and got pleanty of use in the fields, yet last as long as the best grade Britt doubles, both rifle and shotguns. It is not unusual to encounter German doubles,rifle, and shotguns with both barrel sets, and useing high pressure rifle loads, and being over 100 yrs old, and remain tight, and on face. The actions in most German, and Austrian made doubles be they shotgun, or rifle are made on the same actions, and both handle as well as any in the world. These are right in the middle between the Britt, and American designs. Strength is a matter of quality of steel, and shape, not weight!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: grips [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #31081 - 14/05/05 04:42 AM

In reply to:

A properly balanced double rifle will have half it's total weight between the hands, the other half devided between the butstock, and the barrel set ahead of the fore-hand. No shotgun would be worth much for birding, especially, upland birding, balanced this way.

Mac - That's actually the precise formula for the balance of a shotgun (by english standards), i.e.: weight "Between the hands." Your formula is not limited to double rifles.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 8969

You rated this topic a 1.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com