Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
backman
.224 member

Reged: 15/04/04
doubles
      #13681 - 19/04/04 08:00 AM

I have for a while tryed to find a double and that is not the problem.The problem is where can you find one for around 5k or so .I would love to own one but I can't spend that much. Do any of the SCI shows have good deals.
Thanks
Mike Hester
P.S.- 375 or bigger.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: doubles [Re: backman]
      #13684 - 19/04/04 09:50 AM

...the annual sci conventions generally have exhibitors that have on offer 'specially priced' doubles...for instance, just this year chapuis featured a .470ne s-by-s double at around usd5,000 for sci attendees...

NitroSteel
.275 member

Reged: 06/04/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: doubles [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #13766 - 21/04/04 12:08 PM

I am like Backman. I would love to have a double in the 5K range. I don't care so much about looks (fancy wood and engraving), but do want a "quality" gun that will last and function reliably.

In regards to he gun in the price range that you are talking about at the SCI convention, is it a "good buy", or should we just save our money and get a Searcy for twice the price?

Thanks for all the good info. Do you have a link to a website that gives some information on a gun in this price range?

NitroSteel

--------------------
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid."

John Wayne

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #13781 - 21/04/04 02:19 PM

Doubles in medium sized calibres can often be had for cheaper prices. Worth a thought t get a "double" if the .375's and above are too expensive. Sometimes a 9.3x74R can be had as well for lower prices and is almost a .375. Probably a better deal as its rimmed too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #14240 - 03/05/04 05:04 AM

I think NitroX has the right idea! It has always been my opinion, that a first time buyer of double rifles should start with a NEW, double in and midium caliber, like the 9.3X74R. This serves two purposes, #1 is they are cheaper to buy, and shoot, which lets one learn how to shoot, load for, and hunt with a double. #2, All this with a rifle that doesn't kick the crap out of him till he learns. The investment is smaller, in case he learns double rifles are not for him, or is a fine trade in if he decides to get into a larger bore double rifle, for a real African DGR!

Even smaller than the 9.3x74R are available as well, but all should be flanged (rimmed) cartridges, like the 8X57R, 7X57R, 9x57R, that will let one shoot 100 rounds at an outing without causeing a flinch,or breaking the bank for ammo. By shooting rabbits, off hand, he can learn instinctive shooting, that is so important to the use of double rifles! The 9.3X74R, or even better, a 375 H&H flanged, are legal for Most of the Big five in most African countries, and will do in a pinch, if one so chooses!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: doubles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #14242 - 03/05/04 02:42 PM

I have to agree with Mac and Nitro on the mid calibers. I just got back from a 3 day Ground squirrel shoot where I was able to put 100 rounds through both my .303 and 9.3x74R Doubles. Also 10 .577s and 10 8 bores. Along with 300 .223 and a 200 .22s.

They are easy targets, you can shoot from 25-500 yards but alot of shots are inside 100 yards. These are perfect for off hand practice with any hunting rifle and especially Doubles.

A first Double should be something that can be fired frequently and relativly cheaply. The 9.3 and the euro calibers fit the bill for affordable rifles and ease of reloading.

By the way, I figure I'm about a 50% shooter offhand on these critters. It wouldn't take long to become really good at it but the 7 hour drive is a bit much for daily practice.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: doubles [Re: mickey]
      #14283 - 04/05/04 10:20 AM

I can highly recommend the Chapuis 9,3x74R. I have had mine for about 5 years and have fired it about 1000 rounds. It is still as tight as the day I bought it. It shoots good enough to hit a coyote at 271 yards with both bbls [scoped]. I have taken several deer, wild pigs, turkey, coyotes, one bobcat and a black bear. This has become my favorite rifle under 40 cal. It will be my lion, leopard and plains game rifle in Zim this June. I have two scopes in the factory pivot mount. It goes back to zero without fail.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #14303 - 04/05/04 10:27 PM

I have an alternative suggestion, but for the same reasons.

Look for a good Pommie black-powder double in the .450 to .500 range. Plain-grade Birmingham guns with a bit of honest wear generally escape the attentions of the collector, and can be acquired for a few to five grand at most. Graeme Wright's recipe book takes the mystery out of shooting them with light nitro and jacketed bullets, and the ballistics are certainly adequate for medium game up to elk/bear on the eastern side of the Pacific. Recoil is low, pressure considerably lower than the BP service-loads, and case-life correspondingly long.

I started out this way, with an AH .577 and a Tolley .450. Still own those rifles, marvellous stuff. Might even shoot black-powder in them one day! (Naah...)!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: doubles [Re: Marrakai]
      #14304 - 04/05/04 10:53 PM

Ah go ahead and load your babies with a few rounds of BP. Have your wifie or your daughter take a few pictures of them going off and post them. It would be a sight. Of course, it would be a pain in the ass to clean all corrosive gunk off your guns though.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: doubles [Re: Marrakai]
      #14701 - 13/05/04 09:52 AM

In reply to:

Graeme Wright's recipe book takes the mystery out of shooting them with light nitro

Further corroboration of the benign effects of modern Nitro-for-Black (NFB)loads for original Black Powder Express rifles can be found in an article by Sherman Bell in the latest issue of The Double Gun Journal (Spring 2004 issue)

For me, this article has laid to rest some lingering doubts about what pressures might be generated further down the barrel due to different burning rates that aren't shown up by the British Copper Crusher meaurement system, and reported in Graeme Wright's book.

For those that don't get this magazine, Bell used an Oehler Model 43 Personal Ballistics Laboratory to measure pressure curves on a Bolt Action rifle chambered for the 450x31/4" cartridge. Projectiles were 300 gr. cast linotype LFN style ex LBT. The loads tested were;

BPE-120 gr.KIK FFg/Fed.215/1x Fibre Wad. MV=1812 fps

NFB-48 gr.IMR4198/Std rifle primer/OP wad. MV=1952 fps

DUPLEX -9.2 gr SR4759/92.4 gr Goex FFg/2xFibre wads. MV=1656 fps

Pressure was monitored in two places; 1" from the bolt face, and adjacent to the base of the projectile. There was some interesting results from the latter location which speculativley, may be due to the type of wad used for the NFB load, but the general upshot was that the BPE and NFB loads gave identical peak pressures and equal rise times, putting to rest the hoary old notion about black powder being comparatively slower burning and inherently gentler on barrels! And this with an extra 140 fps of MV with the NFB load!!

Also of interest was that, when shot in a gorgeous Alex Henry Black Powder Express rifle, the NFB load produced a 6 shot group of 21/2' at 100 yards, half the size of the BPE load!

Now - if only someone would do some similar work on nitro powders with different burning rates in Full Nitro loads???

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2867

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com