Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: LRF]
      #350853 - 26/02/21 10:47 AM

Here is one very similar:

Sako L46

It has a rear sight

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: Louis]
      #350864 - 26/02/21 09:31 PM

Quote:

Very nice rifle Lynn, thank you for sharing with us; I note that the rear scope has been removed as on many L46, was it for fitting the original rifle-scope ?
Rpeck (Canada) also posted some months ago pictures of a very nice L46 almost similar to yours, but in the 7x33 calibre.
Louis

I remember that interesting rifle. He only had it a short time and got rid of it. Unfortunately, he deletes his items shortly after he posts them, so you have to be quick off the mark if you want to see any of it.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: vykkagur]
      #350873 - 27/02/21 06:38 AM

Quote:

About the title: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington
I thought that Stutzen meant not only full stocked, but short full stocked rifle. Just curious. Perhaps someone who knows the German language could enlighten me
because I do not know. I tried wikipedia but no success there.

„Stutzen“ comes from the German verb stutzen, meaning to shorten or to clip. Formerly, from muzzleloader times on, it was used in the southernmost areas of the German language for any rifle shorter than a full length military musket, regardless of full or half stock or actual barrel length. Bavarians and Austrians spelled it Stutzen, the Swiss Stutzer. Added words often defined the purpose of the rifle- so there are “Scheibenstutzen”= target rifles, “Zimmerstutzen” = 4 mm rimfire parlor rifles, “Feldstutzer” = muzzleloading Swiss military sharpshooter rifles, and many more. Some, like the Austrian “Ischler Stutzen” are full stocked, most others not.
In central or northern Germany the designation was unknown. Most Germans called the things simply “Büchse” or, if short, “Karabiner”. This changed post-1900 only. In 1905 the Steyr factory started to offer their Mannlicher – Schoenauer sporters in Germany. As Austrians the Steyr people advertised all their hunting rifles as “Repetierstutzen”, still regardless of the short barrel, full stocked carbine or the longer barreled, half stocked rifle versions. Their short, handy carbines became much more popular all over Germany than the longer rifles. Soon the word “Stutzen” became associated with such short, fullstocked rifles all over Germany. So by now a “Stutzen” is understood as a full stocked, most often short hunting rifle. Some rifles with barrels up to 60 cm = 24” may be called Stutzen too if stocked to the muzzle, but never a half stocked carbine regardless of barrel shortness. "Stutzen" now is used in the same way as Americans use "Mannlicher stocked" in most of Germany. Of course, Austrians are still apt to call any sporting rifle a “Stutzen”. Quite recently I have even read “Doppelstutzen” for a double rifle.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: kuduae]
      #350874 - 27/02/21 08:03 AM

"Quite recently I have even read “Doppelstutzen” for a double rifle. "

I remember reading this word too in an older source sometimes

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: kuduae]
      #350887 - 27/02/21 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought that Stutzen meant not only full stocked, but short full stocked rifle. Just curious. Perhaps someone who knows the German language could enlighten me

„Stutzen“ comes from the German verb stutzen, meaning to shorten or to clip. Formerly, from muzzleloader times on, it was used in the southernmost areas of the German language for any rifle shorter than a full length military musket, regardless of full or half stock or actual barrel length. Bavarians and Austrians spelled it Stutzen, the Swiss Stutzer. Added words often defined the purpose of the rifle- so there are “Scheibenstutzen”= target rifles, “Zimmerstutzen” = 4 mm rimfire parlor rifles, “Feldstutzer” = muzzleloading Swiss military sharpshooter rifles, and many more. Some, like the Austrian “Ischler Stutzen” are full stocked, most others not.
In central or northern Germany the designation was unknown. Most Germans called the things simply “Büchse” or, if short, “Karabiner”. This changed post-1900 only. In 1905 the Steyr factory started to offer their Mannlicher – Schoenauer sporters in Germany. As Austrians the Steyr people advertised all their hunting rifles as “Repetierstutzen”, still regardless of the short barrel, full stocked carbine or the longer barreled, half stocked rifle versions. Their short, handy carbines became much more popular all over Germany than the longer rifles. Soon the word “Stutzen” became associated with such short, fullstocked rifles all over Germany. So by now a “Stutzen” is understood as a full stocked, most often short hunting rifle. Some rifles with barrels up to 60 cm = 24” may be called Stutzen too if stocked to the muzzle, but never a half stocked carbine regardless of barrel shortness. "Stutzen" now is used in the same way as Americans use "Mannlicher stocked" in most of Germany. Of course, Austrians are still apt to call any sporting rifle a “Stutzen”. Quite recently I have even read “Doppelstutzen” for a double rifle.

Thanks for this explanation. As always well explained.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: NitroX]
      #350889 - 27/02/21 07:51 PM

Quote:

I see the rear sight on your rifle, is that what you normally see on these?

Yes, Louis´s rifle has original ones. These sights has been soldered with tin so it´s quite easy to take them away. Here in Finland you often see these rifles without rear sights tangent piece. So it´s easier to attach a scope to rifle (as Louis has soon noticed).

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #350910 - 28/02/21 05:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes - thank you kuduae.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: DarylS]
      #350946 - 01/03/21 04:15 AM

Dear All, thank you for your comments and input.

Lancaster. Yes, you're correct, the rifle scope issue could easily be bypassed by changing the scope mounts. However I will try to stick to all-Sako original parts for the time being as mounting a scope with a bigger magnification is not yet a matter of life and death for me; it would certainly have been a nice to have but is not yet a must have. Another option may also be to find original Sako scope mounts of the higher size while I only have medium ones (2 sets, 1 for central tube of 26mm and 1 for central tube of 25,4mm/1 inch), see the below photo (courtesy of Joël Dorléac):

LRF. As already confirmed by Igorrock, rear sights as the one posted above were factory original. The space for the rifle scope probably reflects the immediate WW2-era when most rifle scope were X4 ones, of usual 27cm/10,62in length. When larger rifle scopes reached the market from the early 60's I assume that there was other option but to remove the rear sight in order to make space for modern rifle scopes, see the below link:
https://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/arme/l-46-riihimaki-222-2/?lang=en

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

lancaster
.470 member

#350954 - 01/03/21 05:57 AM

you know to find such rare parts is impossible like to find a pre war mauser sporting rifle rear sigth
I told you this before

--------------------

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: lancaster]
      #351005 - 02/03/21 03:22 AM

Quote:

...to find such rare parts is impossible like to find a pre war mauser sporting rifle rear sigth

Drop me a m@il on our Web site and I will try to give you satisfaction.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: DORLEAC]
      #351011 - 02/03/21 05:15 AM

Lancaster, which kind of rear sight you need ? Could you send here any photo ?

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: Igorrock]
      #351014 - 02/03/21 05:55 AM

no, this was an insider joke for louis who was looking last year for an original pre war mauser model b tangent rear sight for a new mauser hunting rifle project.
when he was asking me if it will be possible to find such a part I was writing him "yes, could be happen, maybe today, maybe in ten years"
to be true I was not very optimistic about this but only some months later such a rear sight come up on egun and louis got it.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #351019 - 02/03/21 06:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes - thank you kuduae.

+1

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: Ripp]
      #351029 - 02/03/21 09:02 AM

If somebody needs: https://www.tori.fi/etela-savo/Sako_takatahtain_79316653.htm?ca=18&w=3

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: Igorrock]
      #351044 - 02/03/21 07:40 PM

Thank you, Igorrock.
Louis

--------------------

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #351704 - 24/03/21 09:22 PM

Mines arrived but awaiting scope mounts and a leupold 2-7x33. The nickel is just a bit too long so gone with the leupold. Ill put pics up when its all together Cheers Mick

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: 264]
      #351716 - 25/03/21 05:33 AM

Looking forward to seeing it, Mick.

--------------------
Daryl

Louis
.375 member

#351719 - 25/03/21 06:10 AM

Excellent Mick, also looking forward to the photos.
Louis

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351733 - 25/03/21 11:40 PM

Quote:

Excellent Mick, also looking forward to the photos.
Louis

Mick and his .222 buffalo photos!

Ha ha.

Maybe a piglet?

A dingo or wild dog?

Some nice small wallabies in the NT, but can one shoot them without a spear and darkened face? OK that was very un-PC.

Looking forward to see the rifle photos as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #351937 - 01/04/21 12:23 PM

Well its all come together medium sako mounts From premium optics, 25mm . Leupold 2-7x33 and the seller threw in a sako peep sight. Pretty pleased with how its come up, usual signs of wear over its 70 odd years so overall a great little rifle.
Pics and descriptions added with L46 and L461 comparisons. Cheers Mick

Sako L46 222

sako peep sights

magazine

comparison L46 L461

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: 264]
      #351942 - 01/04/21 12:56 PM

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! the short one is OK, too.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351944 - 01/04/21 01:14 PM

Very nice Mick. Both nice, but the L46 beside the newer one shows the differences.

I want to raid your gun safe or is it a bunker?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Louis
.375 member

#352007 - 04/04/21 04:38 PM

Really nice rifle Mick; the Leupold 2-7x33 fits very well and it may also be an option for my own L46. The picture with both L46 and L461 rifle is very useful for seeing main differences between both rifles. Good shooting and hunting with your new acquisition; be cautious in case the man from the Barossa Valley is reported roaming around in the NT !
Louis

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

Re: Sako L46 Riihimäki stutzen in .222 Remington [Re: LRF]
      #353555 - 19/05/21 05:07 AM

Since Covid-19 lockdown (the previous one before the future one) was lifted last week in France I went to the range this week for checking my 7x65R kipplauf before roe buck season starts on 1st of June and for shooting the SAKO L46 .222 at 200 meters.

The L46’s results at 100 m, 20 mm / 0,78 in groups for 3 shots, were consistent with the similar result I already had in February 2021; for 200 m the best I could do was 45 mm / 1,77 in for 3 shots. I am sure the little rifle could do much better however with a x4 rifle scope I can’t see much room for improvement on my side whatever the Swarovski optic’s quality is. I also noticed a 5 cm / 2 in drop of impacts between 100 & 200 m. Anyway, such a group should do the job on any fox-sized target at 200 m; unless – of course, the beast is bullet-proofed!

Needless to say, I am deeply ashamed to report such a result at 200 m after learning from Daryl (see his post in “Rifles”) that other folks shoot 1,068-in groups at 1000 yards !

Side questions:
- Mike .264, have you mounted and tested the Leupold 2-7; if yes, how does it work?
- Mike .264 or/and Marrakai or/and Rpeck and/or Igorrock, could you please tell me how to dismantle the bolt for thorough cleaning as I could not find any information or user’s manual available online?

Louis

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #353556 - 19/05/21 06:53 AM

Quote:

Since Covid-19 lockdown (the previous one before the future one) was lifted last week in France I went to the range this week for checking my 7x65R kipplauf before roe buck season starts on 1st of June and for shooting the SAKO L46 .222 at 200 meters.

The L46’s results at 100 m, 20 mm / 0,78 in groups for 3 shots, were consistent with the similar result I already had in February 2021; for 200 m the best I could do was 45 mm / 1,77 in for 3 shots. I am sure the little rifle could do much better however with a x4 rifle scope I can’t see much room for improvement on my side whatever the Swarovski optic’s quality is. I also noticed a 5 cm / 2 in drop of impacts between 100 & 200 m. Anyway, such a group should do the job on any fox-sized target at 200 m; unless – of course, the beast is bullet-proofed!

Needless to say, I am deeply ashamed to report such a result at 200 m after learning from Daryl (see his post in “Rifles”) that other folks shoot 1,068-in groups at 1000 yards !

Side questions:
- Mike .264, have you mounted and tested the Leupold 2-7; if yes, how does it work?
- Mike .264 or/and Marrakai or/and Rpeck and/or Igorrock, could you please tell me how to dismantle the bolt for thorough cleaning as I could not find any information or user’s manual available online?

Louis

Yes Louis, I would say that is more than good enough for roe buck.. that is unless he is wearing a mask..I've those things can make most living creatures unstoppable..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13243

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com