Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting is officially banned in Botswana

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Hunting is officially banned in Botswana
      #207509 - 22/04/12 02:05 PM

An email doing the rounds ...

Hunting is officially banned in Botswana from 2013, except for plainsgame on game ranches and a few elephants that will be auctioned outside the wilderness areas in the cattle areas.

There are only 2 areas that will still have limited quota for 2013 namely, CH 1 and NG 41.

This is a very sad and unfortunate situation.

Best regards,

KGORI SAFARIS

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting is officially banned in Botswana [Re: NitroX]
      #207510 - 22/04/12 02:06 PM

April 2, 2012

The end looms for hunting

The Ngami Times reports that the new hunting season in northern Botswana is likely to be the last and next season will also be the final one for the Tuli Block and southern Botswana.

The government has banned hunting of wildlife, except apparently for elephants and on game farms, in favour of photographic safaris.

It will be losing millions of Pula as a result of the move through VAT payments, training levies, bed night fees, and trophy fees.

Hundreds of people from hunters to safari employees and taxidermists are expected to be out of work, and as a result it is widely anticipated that the economy of towns such as Maun and Kasane will be adversely affected.

The government will also no longer be issuing hunting quotas, which is one of the mainstays of rural communities.

The authoritative "The Hunting Report" publication said last year that "hunting would be significantly reduced in Botswana, with plains game hunting continuing only on private ranches (but) we also reported that elephant hunting would continue under a special dispensation for 粗lephant management.'

"Elephant is conspicuous by its absence from lists of animals (that cannot be hunted). That's because elephant populations in Botswana have been rising significantly, and, in the process, destroying habitat that many of these other species need. Most telling is that elephant quotas have not been reduced, rather they have been increased and more have come up for auction."

In a statement to the publication on August 26 last year, the government said: "What is being done is to encourage photographic tourism and gradually limit but not ban wildlife hunting. It must be known that species with declining numbers will be considered for limited hunting while those with increasing numbers like elephants, will continue to be hunted within CITES framework."

The Ministry (of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism) said at the time there was no plan to ban hunting "and would like to assure all hunting safari companies and affected communities that live near wildlife management areas who continue to benefit from hunting. 'No further confirmation of this could be obtained by The Ngami Times this week.

Lion hunting in Botswana was suspended in 2007 to allow the cats' population to swell as the Department of Wildlife said there was a dwindling number of lions in the Khutse Game Reserve, Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR) and the Kgalagadi Trans-Frontier Park, where conflict between humans and predators is on the rise.

In the Kgatleng District the hunting of wildlife of all kinds has remained suspended since 1981.

The move towards photographic safaris has divided wildlife conservationists, some of whom argue that hunting quotas issued to the communities that live near wildlife management areas help empower and develop local communities.

Usually the community sells the commercially valuable species such as elephant, zebra, lion and leopard to a private-sector partner. These species have no subsistence use for local people.

Valuable trophy (male) animals such as buffalo, gemsbok, sable, wildebeest and kudu are sold, while the females (meat value) and the lesser antelopes, such as duiker, impala and springbok, are retained for subsistence hunting.

Hunting joint-venture agreements generate large sums of money at community level and substantial employment during the six-month hunting season from April until the end of September.

The tourism industry of Botswana was initially based on trophy hunting and all areas outside the national parks and reserves was divided up into concession areas to be tendered for by professional hunting companies for trophy hunting safaris.

It is widely feared that the ban will allow for an increase in poaching, already widespread in many parts of the country, particularly the Chobe National Park and the Central Kalahari.

"The ban on hunting in Kenya 1976 resulted in 100 000 elephants being poached within a year," said one hunter. According to the Endangered Species Handbook, Botswana earns US$100 million (about P750-million) a year from tourism, including trophy hunting.

In an interview published late last year the "Mmegi" newspaper in Gaborone, top hunter Harry Charalambous, of Maun, called for an increase in the quota for game hunting in the area, saying it attracts billionaires from Europe and America to Botswana.

He said he hosts Russian billionaire and Chelsea Football Club owner, Roman Abromovich, every year for trophy hunting.

Charalambous added he also pays approximately P10-million a year to four community trusts in Chobe, Sankuyo, Mababe, and Okavango from proceeds earned from trophy hunting.

He told the newspaper he was aware that President Ian Khama "is not a fan of trophy hunting and is being lobbied by other interest groups to ban it in favour of photographic safaris."

ibotswana.co.bw

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Hunting is officially banned in Botswana [Re: NitroX]
      #210715 - 11/06/12 10:08 PM

Now poaching will run rampant.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Hunting is officially banned in Botswana [Re: 500grains]
      #210741 - 12/06/12 06:15 AM

What a shame, and a sham.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Hunting is officially banned in Botswana [Re: Ben]
      #210765 - 12/06/12 05:53 PM

Heard this from my PH two years ago, as usual as 500grains says, poaching will kick off in style and there will be bugger all there 5 years after the ban

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Hunting is officially banned in Botswana [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #210777 - 12/06/12 09:29 PM

I haven't hunted in Botswana, but I have been to the country a few times. I have also recommended people I know to go there on "photo safaris". However, if the government is dumb enough to ban hunting, I have no doubt that my money would be better spent elsewhere in the future, and will advise others to do the same.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Hunting is officially banned in Botswana [Re: EricD]
      #210780 - 12/06/12 10:17 PM

Just terrible.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting is officially being PHASED OUT in Botswana [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #210785 - 12/06/12 11:10 PM

From the Hunting Report:

Botswana 2012 Availabilities and Future Hunting
(posted June - 2012)

As I promised last month, I checked in with operators in Botswana regarding openings they may have for 2012. Among them was Jim Van Rensburg of Kgori Safaris (info@kgorisafaris.com). You'll remember it was an email from Kgori Safaris that was distributed online announcing that hunting had been banned in Botswana starting in 2013. I corresponded with Van Rensburg about that. "Yes, I believe my e-mail caused a bit of a ripple," he wrote. "It was supposed to go to my clients only. I have a wonderful new lady in my office. Unfortunately she sent it to all my contacts instead of all my clients, and I take the blame for it! I was just not prepared to take deposits from my clients for future seasons anymore, not until there is DEFINITE clarity from the government to the industry. That was something clients needed an explanation on. Anyway, it's done. I didn't mean to hurt anybody; in retrospect, I should have said hunting was being 'phased out' rather than 'banned.'"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4461

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com