Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Winchester-model-70

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Winchester-model-70 [Re: DarylS]
      #350639 - 20/02/21 12:08 PM

I had one post 64 m70 - a .264Win. Mag. with a ridiculous 22" bl. It was only 80fps faster than my daughter's 6.5x57IMP, which had a 26" bl.
I rebarreled it to .458 Alaskan, which I chambered up. It is the same as .450 Alaskan except the case has an extractor groove and .532" rim. The ballistics should be just slightly better than the .458 Win. Mag., due to the 7gr. greater capacity, however, Barnes data provided exactly their book speeds in my rifle. I did not feel it necessary to exceed 2,200fps with a 500gr. Hornady bullet, not the 510gr. Winchester's I found.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #350641 - 20/02/21 12:23 PM

I wasn't expecting a bull! heard movement in the creek rushed forward expecting a boar and got a suprise when the bull stood up at 6-7m. The bull heard me and turned his head to look at me ........ Better get this right went thru my mind , "head shot." Drop at the shot and another into his chest quickly.
Good looking bull!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The Winchester-model-70 [Re: 264]
      #350642 - 20/02/21 12:43 PM

Quote:

Im a Winchester M70 tragic, even like the post 64 push feeds!
Have owned and had good use of the Westerners, XTR's, featherweights, super express's, classics and extreme weathers
Also have some pre 64's a super grade in 7x57 , a featherweight in 264WM and a super grade 300 H&H on its way atm , looking forward to the 300's arrival.
Also have one unusual Winchester M70 in a 270 win manlicher style stocked push feed Only 476 made in 270 win.
Heres a few pics, cheers Mick
winchester M70 featherweight rebarell to 358 185 ACP 7m

extreme weather 325WSM

Winchester M70 270win mannlicher

I have a Win very similar to the one you have with the water buffalo..it's in 270 Win. and 1 of 1000 model.. past '64 model..have never fired it..still in the box.

Nice job on the hogs..looks like fun...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: The Winchester-model-70 [Re: Ripp]
      #350646 - 20/02/21 02:34 PM

My first centerfire rifle was a used 1953 M70 FWT in .308 and I tweaked it to work for me by floating the barrel, honing the trigger (all supervised by gun smith buddy}. Later had it magna ported to reduce muzzle jump and mounted a 4 power M8 Leupold scope. That was 40 years ago and it is still the rifle that I shoot when failure is not an option.

I reloaded for it at first but when I could not get 100 yard groups less than 5/8 inch, I gave up and went hunting. That turned out to be plenty accurate for me. After many years of banging around Texas after deer, the wood and metal was scratched and dented so the same gunsmith friend slicked it up for me and it is back in service. It is plenty of gun for most American game African plains game.
It just works for me.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #350652 - 20/02/21 04:51 PM

Quote:

Im a Winchester M70 tragic, even like the post 64 push feeds!
Have owned and had good use of the ... featherweights

winchester M70 featherweight rebarell to 358 185 ACP 7m

Hi Mick,

what was your experience with the Featherweight model? I see it was re-barrelled. The first batches of these rifles were IMO absolutely crap and inaccurate, as I reported in my post. Later Winchester picked up their game and improved them so they actually grouped.

Interested in your experience with it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

.375 member

Re: The Winchester-model-70 [Re: NitroX]
      #350657 - 20/02/21 05:38 PM

The ones Ive owned (7x57's)were all ok the worst was a 223 @ about 1.5MOA Bedding fixed it.
Shop Had a couple come back as inaccurate so a range session organised One scope loose the other shot just over a inch Hard to shoot of bags, with the stock design. 3 shot groups. Factory ammo Barrel warms up pretty quick.
Most people got a bedding job done on them anyway
Mate has one in 243 which is very accurate.
I didn't expect them to shoot as good as a sporter , but bought them as a decent rifle for carrying around.
Thought about building one into a 338-06. About ideal for Aus.
Very nice looking and the 80's stock still feels better than the new featherweights.
The 358 win I have was built by previous owner I was looking too build and discussing his rifle, he asked if I was interested ! Havnt looked back 358 punches well above its weight and easy too load for and shoot. My favourite cal for pigs.
Don't know why Winchester don't offer it in a factory rifle.
I think Winchester were ahead of there time with the introduction of the 80's featherweights There wasn't anything else like them on the market at the time.
257 roberts featherweight on used guns ATM very tempting........................

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The Winchester-model-70 [Re: Ripp]
      #350658 - 20/02/21 05:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice looking rifle Patagonhunter.

I have never liked the M70. Simply because of the fit,and lack of safety from escaping gas. Fit could be fixed and so could the bolt handle (looks only). However those I know who have them love them and most shoot well.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge case for making .270,35 Whelan, 338-06 etc. Tried one once and it did nothing my old 303 wouldn't do and did nothing for me. Yet I like the 308, go figure, I can't. Mind you 30 cal is the least used of my collection now. The old M94 in 30-30 used to get used a lot in my younger day.

Yes the M98's and M17/P14's have a slow lock time. The M70 sits between these and the Rem 700.

SO, what am I missing???

I stopped by a local gun shop on my weekly route.. they had M98 sitting there on the shelf.. so, I grabbed it .. worked it a bit, looked at it.. as you state on the M70, it did nothing for me as well..

NOT trying to start a war on NE because I am not enamored by the M98 action.. merely want to to know what others are seeing that I am not..

Perhaps I am just a country hick that doesn't enjoy some of life's finer items..

Not missing anything. Took a long time for the M98 action-and its copies- to be liked by me. Just traveling to the beat of another drum.

A proper M98 is reliable but clunky to cycle when compared to a lot of modern actions. In military form it is heavier then needs be for a sporter.

I believe a lot of people are hoodwinked by some of the adulation written about the M98 that are simply not true. Most center around the CRF.

.375 member

Re: The Winchester-model-70 [Re: crshelton]
      #350661 - 20/02/21 05:56 PM

crshelton- nice pronghorn and rifle. cheers Mick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#350667 - 20/02/21 06:29 PM

Quote:

The ones Ive owned (7x57's)were all ok the worst was a 223 @ about 1.5MOA Bedding fixed it.
Shop Had a couple come back as inaccurate so a range session organised One scope loose the other shot just over a inch Hard to shoot of bags, with the stock design. 3 shot groups. Factory ammo Barrel warms up pretty quick.
Most people got a bedding job done on them anyway
Mate has one in 243 which is very accurate.
I didn't expect them to shoot as good as a sporter , but bought them as a decent rifle for carrying around.
Thought about building one into a 338-06. About ideal for Aus.
Very nice looking and the 80's stock still feels better than the new featherweights.
The 358 win I have was built by previous owner I was looking too build and discussing his rifle, he asked if I was interested ! Havnt looked back 358 punches well above its weight and easy too load for and shoot. My favourite cal for pigs.
Don't know why Winchester don't offer it in a factory rifle.
I think Winchester were ahead of there time with the introduction of the 80's featherweights There wasn't anything else like them on the market at the time.
257 roberts featherweight on used guns ATM very tempting........................

Thanks. I think the early batches were crap. Why? Don't know. They didn't shoot. I glass bedded mine, different scope, different mounts, shot 6 inch groups. Couldn't be improved. Different loads, same thing. Winchester flogged them off for $260 included steel mounts and huge 3-9x Weaver scope. I bought one, because I like the looks and it was cheap. Cheap for a reason. Was difficult to get it sold as so many had bought the very cheap discounted sales and by then they had that reputation.

Later Winchester cleaned up their act and improved the factory offerings. Otherwise none would have sold.

It is good yours all seemed to be reasonably successful.

I would have liked one in 7x57. A good cartridge choice for one, I think.

Thanks for your answer and comments.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Winchester-model-70 [Re: Rule303]
      #350668 - 20/02/21 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have never liked the M70. Simply because of the fit,and lack of safety from escaping gas. Fit could be fixed and so could the bolt handle (looks only). However those I know who have them love them and most shoot well.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge case for making .270,35 Whelan, 338-06 etc. Tried one once and it did nothing my old 303 wouldn't do and did nothing for me. Yet I like the 308, go figure, I can't. Mind you 30 cal is the least used of my collection now. The old M94 in 30-30 used to get used a lot in my younger day.

Yes the M98's and M17/P14's have a slow lock time. The M70 sits between these and the Rem 700.

SO, what am I missing???

I stopped by a local gun shop on my weekly route.. they had M98 sitting there on the shelf.. so, I grabbed it .. worked it a bit, looked at it.. as you state on the M70, it did nothing for me as well..

NOT trying to start a war on NE because I am not enamored by the M98 action.. merely want to to know what others are seeing that I am not..

Perhaps I am just a country hick that doesn't enjoy some of life's finer items..

Not missing anything. Took a long time for the M98 action-and its copies- to be liked by me. Just traveling to the beat of another drum.

A proper M98 is reliable but clunky to cycle when compared to a lot of modern actions. In military form it is heavier then needs be for a sporter.

I believe a lot of people are hoodwinked by some of the adulation written about the M98 that are simply not true. Most center around the CRF.

Fooey. Some simply have no sense of taste and style. Good reliable and dependable is the answer.

While I have a Mauser M03 for DG hunting as well, that CRF stuff has some relevance. When a case do not eject because of an inadequate ejector, and the buffalo or elephant is bearing down on you, you will reject that modern pathetic rifle than cycles more smoothly. A reason I prefer a double rifle anyway.

The guys that harp on the internet endlessly about how ONLY A CRF is adequate, however, need to get off the armchair and into the field more often.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#350681 - 21/02/21 06:44 AM

Same thing happens on a lot of forums, where the clientele do a lot more shooting on their keyboards than at a range or in the field.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#350699 - 21/02/21 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

SO, what am I missing???

Fooey. Some simply have no sense of taste and style. Good reliable and dependable is the answer.

While I have a Mauser M03 for DG hunting as well, that CRF stuff has some relevance. When a case do not eject because of an inadequate ejector, and the buffalo or elephant is bearing down on you, you will reject that modern pathetic rifle than cycles more smoothly. A reason I prefer a double rifle anyway.

The guys that harp on the internet endlessly about how ONLY A CRF is adequate, however, need to get off the armchair and into the field more often.

Not phooey at all. I have experienced every failure with a CFR M98 that is said to be impossible. Double feeding, failure to extract, dropping cartridge case into the action, failure to pick up cartridge, bolt jamming on forward and rearward cycle, you name it Ive had it or been with some one when they have had the failure. Reliable, No. Dependable, No. To be these things the M98 may need work to ensure it. When that is done then it is both. Most come that way but some do not or fail due to a lot of use.

Like I said a lot of hype is put out there by those who just plain do not know. Yes this includes many PH's because they have never seen a dud M98 or copy there of. For many years I thought those who depended on the M98 for their and others lives were idiots. Took a lot of years and a couple of very knowledgeable gents to show me why the M98's would have those failures.

So a good reliable M98 or clone to me makes the best choice of a bolt action for DG. A double is just as likely to fail as a bolt action. Nothing man makes is perfect.

.375 member

#350701 - 21/02/21 03:39 PM

The Winchester pre 64 bug has this one on its way from Texas. 1950's Supergrade 300H&H with original recoil pad, swivels Comes with a vx2 2-7 leupold . Looks in good condition with usual usage marks.
Credit to a Texas local for finding it for me and helping out with purchase and sending it.
Very keen on its arrival.

DarylS
.700 member

#350742 - 22/02/21 02:55 PM

Oh, that's nice, Mic.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #350750 - 22/02/21 05:45 PM

She's a 'Super' alright Mick!
I suppose that is not 100% correct there is supposedly some minor differences between the .300H&H & the 300Super.
Bloody nice rig though Mick & lovely timber to boot as well!

Rule303
.416 member

#350757 - 22/02/21 09:03 PM

Mick that is one of the best looking-to my eye- M70. In fact it is one that I would own. Well done on that pick up.

DarylS
.700 member

#350765 - 23/02/21 03:52 AM

Back in about 1977, I got to shoot both rifles of a 'set' of two, that Lester H. Hawkes owned. Less was formerly of Kalispel, Montana, but at that time lived between Smithers and Houston in B.C. He had purchased the pair of Model 70's in 1952, both in .375H&H and both "came" with 2 1/2X Lyman Alaskan scopes.
One of them, Less had bobbed the barrel to 22" and it was saddle scabbard worn to the point there was very little bluing left on the barrel.
Less worked in the 50's on the T-Bar-3 ranch in Montana as a guide & chief bottle washer, according to him. He had a jar of recovered 270gr. Power Points he'd recovered from Elk. Every one of them looked practically identical - picture perfect expansion. His load was 70.0gr. IMR4064.
Both of those rifles are now owned by a very good friend of mine in Smithers. It took a few years after Less passed, but Bob, also a close friend of Less's ended up with both M70's.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#350785 - 24/02/21 05:20 AM

Quote:

Mick that is one of the best looking-to my eye- M70. In fact it is one that I would own. Well done on that pick up.

Agreed..very nice looking rifle..

Thank you for posting the pics

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#350786 - 24/02/21 05:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

SO, what am I missing???

Thank you for the explanation.. I would have responded sooner but was calving cows at the ranch..

And yes, clunky was the term that come to my mind as well..

As I stated, I have a custom in .416.. Mauser action.. don't care for it much nor do I use it.. guess I should just sell it to an unsuspecting victim, I mean buyer...

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (24/02/21 05:25 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4646

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com