Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anybody Finished a Rifle in Robar NP3 or NP3 Plus?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Anybody Finished a Rifle in Robar NP3 or NP3 Plus?
      #212898 - 17/07/12 03:46 PM

After a "false start" with the OEM and almost a year of waiting for my gunsmith & Danny Pedersen to get done working their magic, the 9.3x62 barrel assembly for my Empire Rifles takedown is mechanically complete (re-bored & re-chambered, iron sights regulated, scout scope base mounted). Last thing to do after I pick it up Wednesday is get the new assembly finished.

Originally I planned to have a Cerakote finish applied; this is what was originally on the rifle and it would be the least expensive option to get everything completed.

But I keep toying with the idea of getting the entire rifle- both barrel assemblies and all action components- finished in NP3 Plus. Now would be the time to do it since Robar is running a pretty good special that would save me ~$250.

I like the more traditional black finish but in my experience Cerakote isn't particularly durable. Anyone have experience doing an entire rifle in NP3 or NP3 Plus? Any downside in going this route?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Anybody Finished a Rifle in Robar NP3 or NP3 Plus? [Re: taw1126]
      #212924 - 18/07/12 01:24 AM

No experience with NP3, if you like the more blackish finishes you might want to look into Ionbond. I'm going to have a rifle sent out to them soon for finishing. I own a 1911 with Ionbond on it and like it.

http://www.ionbondguncoatings.com/

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #213548 - 28/07/12 01:30 AM

I have NP3 on a stainless steel .375 and love it. Non reflective (a problem with SS) and, so far, very durable. Multiple trips to Alaska and tossed around and beat up pretty good at times.

Very happy with it. One on left.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Anybody Finished a Rifle in Robar NP3 or NP3 Plus? [Re: mickey]
      #213626 - 29/07/12 10:18 AM

Mick-
Is that Rogaurd? I've never seen a black NP3 finish, only the matte stainless / hard chrome look.

I decided I need a more traditional black finish for this project. Gunsmith asked me to trust his judgement on a Cerakote replacement; should have the finished product in a couple of weeks.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #213660 - 30/07/12 05:18 AM

A milspec done by Olympic Arms in Nisqually Washington. They do a lot of work on Military weapons from Joint base Lewis McChord. This is a special NP3 they use on Special Forces weapons. It took about 3 months to get it done

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3516

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com