Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Buff hunt at Gan Gan, Northern Territory

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Buff hunt at Gan Gan, Northern Territory [Re: NitroX]
      #18430 - 25/08/04 01:10 PM

Nitro

Sorry I am only capable of one activity at a time!

That sleeping bull was pretty wierd. We certainly got to do some good stalking that week.

Cheers
Matt

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by Matt_Graham (25/08/04 01:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"Water Buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: Ezine]
      #18573 - 29/08/04 03:05 AM

story for day 2 added - photos soon - see earlier post

"Water buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2

Photos to day 2 now added.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (30/08/04 01:15 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

"Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #18574 - 29/08/04 03:09 AM

Well we can see your finger at least!

Yes a great pair of hunts. When can we do another?!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: NitroX]
      #18578 - 29/08/04 04:01 AM

Note some paragraphs in the stories are a little elementary. I wrote these as a basis for a submission elsewhere and wanted to add some extra explanation not necessary for the GURUS of NE.com's membership

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: "Water Buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: Ezine]
      #18589 - 29/08/04 11:11 AM

Nitro

I was shaking a bit too when I was remembering being that close to the bull and the end of the hunt. Never get sick of that adrenaline rush eh! I was lucky too - I had two close encounter kills that week!

Matt Graham

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by Matt_Graham (29/08/04 11:15 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Water Buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #18627 - 30/08/04 01:18 AM

Day 2 photos added

"Water buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2

I must say I found the encounter with the live bull approaching us the most exciting. As he was aware of us and wondering what we were. That was a nice old bull too.

Stories for days 3 to 5 plus more photos to come.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: "Water Buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: NitroX]
      #18630 - 30/08/04 02:40 AM

John,

I'm continuesly kicking myself for not hunting buff when I was in Australia 16 years ago... Had I only known.
It sounds like you had a great experiance, and I hope you get many more in the future.

Erik D.

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 3 [Re: NitroX]
      #18675 - 31/08/04 01:18 AM

*** View threaded ***

"Water Buffalo Hunt at Gan Gan" - Day 3

With my buffalo down, it was Steve's turn to find a buffalo.

But first it was necessary to deal with my trophy from the previous day. The skull and horns was placed in a drum of boiling water to remove the flesh from the skull and allow the horns to be separated from the bony core. Some more work on the cape and more salt applied.

Then pack into the Landcruiser some fuel, pumps and stuff and off to a new area to hunt for Steve's bull. At Gan Gan they try to not over-hunt each area, spreading the hunting activity so the buffalo do not become alarmed to vehicles and humans. With new animals wandering into the hunted areas this appears to work. The buffalo most jumpy are actually the cows and calfs - as usual.

The route this time ran past the airstrip where clients are usually picked-up from their flight from Nhulubuy, and then we drove on past the blackfella township of Gan Gan to the banks of a lovely inviting river. Looks like a great place to cool off on a hot day but crocs lurk in its quiet waters. But no doubt great fishing for those persons who set aside time for this activity.

Cool beautiful river

Part of the operation at Gan Gan is to navigate the waterways and wetlands. These cut the dry land in a number of places and in order to reduce unnecessary travelling time, hunting vehicles are pre-positioned on the far sides of rivers and billabongs with boats providing access to them. A great idea to cut out hours of unproductive driving.

Steve and John provide 'ballast' for the bow

"Captain Matt"

Into the boat and easily across to the other sides, two mighty "hunting cars" await. One is fuelled up, the gear loaded into it and away we go again. Steve sits in the cab so Matt and he can discuss any bulls seen. I don't mind. I am getting a free ride out in the sun, in a beautiful place almost untouched by man.

"Hunting cars"

Cows and calves are seen, and some immature bulls. Further along another herd, this one is aware of us and has at least an older bull among the cows. Now following it on foot Steve and Matt close in on it and the rest of the herd. Thick creepers and thorn bushes screen most of the buffalo from us less than fifty metres in front. A cow snorts and away the herd runs, the only sight of the bull is its rump as it also runs.

We continue driving along the low ridge passing the carcase of a buffalo shot by a previous client but out we get when a good bull is seen. I tag along behind sometimes at a distance so as to not disturb the animals with an extra person.

This bull is wandering along the edge of the river bank while we shadow him in the trees. We loose him in the thick scrub but I sight him further back from where we expected him to be and quickly signal the boys up front. No chance for a shot here, there are way too many tree trunks in between. The bull settles down into the mud for a rest and we leave him to return to camp before it is too dark.

Are there crocodiles in this river? Our torches pick up three different sets of eyes on the return "cruise".

'Pyro-man' ignites a parndarna which quickly bursts into spectacular flame

Copyright 2004 - all rights reserved

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 4 [Re: NitroX]
      #18677 - 31/08/04 02:32 AM

*** View threaded ***

"Water Buffalo Hunt at Gan Gan" - Day 4

An early morning start we aim to again cross the river and travel the track of the afternoon before. But a herd of buffalo draw our attention. Obviously harder hunted on this side of the river they do not stay for long. But an interesting sight is spotted - a pack of dingoes. First one, then another until four are spotted. Unusual to see so many and then the black pig is seen. It is presumed the pig may have piglets in tow and our vehicle saved them from being eaten.

Today we are making for the great open wetlands that are accessible from this spit of dry land. They are magnificient and we alight from the vehicle to have some lunch and a drink while enjoying the view. Kilometres of green wetlands with thousands of duck, geese and other birds, their calls making a racket as they feed. Underneath no doubt fish and crocodiles glide.

The wetlands are filled with waterfowl - magpie geese,
ducks of various species and other water birds - their
calls make quite a racket

Buffalo too can be seen feeding way out across the wetlands. The number of buffalo here is unbelievable and there is no lack for the trophy hunter.

We walk along the tip of what is a peninsula of land with water on three sides, I am nice and comfortable having left the heavy double in the 'cruiser. Matt carries the trusty .458 while Steve carries a custom .375 Weatherby Mag built on a Ruger no. 1 Tropical.

The wetlands.

Three bulls can be seen several hundred metres away across the far waterway. One of which is very good but we head back down the shore to see what lies that way. Steve is very interested in that bull but it will be a hard hunt to get close to these bulls.

A buffalo flees

Moving through a patch of scrub a young bull is spooked and crashes off through the bush. Another bull which is definitely shootable feeding out in the waterway spots us and after a good look at use runs in the direction we are heading.

A bull in the wetlands with three more in the distance

Another bull just off the scrub's edge. He isn't bad and watches the other bull further out on the wetland facing away from us. Matt and Steve approach it for a close look and give it a once over. Steve can not resist a practice aim with the bull dropping to the ground it stretches out for a midday siesta. The boys sneek off to leave it in peace.

A bull sleeps unawares

Confering they decide to hunt the water buffalo in the water. Better them than me! I don't have to trudge through several hundred metres of knee deep watery mud. My buffalo is already in the salt! They set off across the strip of wetlands to the seemingly dry treeline. Not so, they are actually paperbarks and in deeper water, with a good three hundred more metres (at least) of paperbarks to tranverse but also cover their appoach.

I make my way cross country enjoying the quiet walk spooking the young buffalo again from his shady sleep under a tree. Back to the vehicle I find a perfect "safari" tree for a sandwhich, a ice cold soft drink, a book and a siesta.

BANG, then BANG.

The birds rise in a cacophony from the vast wetlands. I hurry to the water's edge. Using my 8x Swarovski's I can see two buffalo running as there is another gun shot or two. I can not see the hunters nor their target. I hope he is down and not one of the two buffalo fleeing out into the deep water.

Returning to finish my sandwhich I check out the route to the closest point of dryland to which Matt and Steve can reach and on returning to the vehicle am surprised by two buffalo thundering 50 metres past. The two surviving buffalo have made a great half circle in the wetlands and come right past me!

It is easy to drive the landcruiser to the closest point, the scrub inland being a little more open than the thick vegetation growing at the water's edge.

Now I suppose I will have to get my feet wet after all and I try to find the dryest route to the boys. Impossible task eventually I splash into the thick reeds and watergrasses carrying a water canteen and my camera. The going is a bit easier in the paperbarks as they are relatively free from vegetation in the water but the water is deeper. I wonder about crocodiles.

Three quarters way there I find Steve struggling along carrying rifle, camera, camelback and dragging the cape floating on the water. He was successful and dropped his bull well. Relieving him of everything except the camelback and cape we hang the gear in a tree for me to pick up on the way back. Matt too has a load and a half with the skull and horns plus rifle, knives and bag. Matt carries the skull back (better him than me) and I load up Steve's as well as Matt's gear and setoff by the most direct route across the open wetlands. Now why on earth did I bring the digital camera! A fall in the water and the brand new camera will be history. Deciding the muzzles will be the first to hit the water should I overbalance, as a rifle an be cleaned, nevertheless eventually broken up dried mud is reached and luckily the direct route actually means a lot less water. It is paradise to reach the vehicle and unload.

The carry out - Steve relieving Matt of the skull and horns for the final 50 metres

Steve meanwhile has reached the vehicle so I help him unload the cape and cover it with leafy branches to protect it from the sun. A man not to shirk he goes to help Matt with the skull and relieves him of it to finish carrying it to the vehicle. Matt's daypack is somewhere stashed prior to the hunt in the paperbarks so off he goes again to fetch.

An Aussie "Duga-boy" ie "mud-boy"

Wow these boys put in a lot of effort. The bull was just a half inch shy of a hundred inches but the effort and hunt would make it a first class trophy in anyone's collection.

Steve with his trophy on dry land

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 5 [Re: NitroX]
      #18678 - 31/08/04 02:34 AM

*** View threaded ***

"Water Buffalo Hunt at Gan Gan" - Day 5

A day of rest. Sort of.

We had the task of shooting a calf for the blackfellas, the animals legs to be removed and distributed to the main four families, plus some choice cuts for the camp. Why eat a tough old bull when you can eat veal.

But that was for late afternoon. The sandy ridges should provide a calf fairly easily.

Some fishing at the coast was in order and the beautiful azure bay with white sands would make a fantastic camp but for the lack of drinking water.

Some 400 years ago the Dutch explorer Willem Jantszoon passed this way but was chased off by the aggressive aboriginals. He and others are the origin of many Dutch names in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

While Steve and Matt tested the local fish I tested out the new camera.

Finally the allure of a shady tree proved too strong for us all.

Yawn

Steve wanting to fireform some H&H shells into .375 Weatherbys gave us a test of offhand shooting at drink cans at 50 metres, which we started hitting consistently perhaps after one miss, and a buffalo dung, a target for the .450.

As expected the herds had moved into the ridges prior to evening and a calf was quickly spotted. Matt using the .375 made a fine headshot on a buff calf while the rest of the herd fled.

"Veal"!

Removing the legs for blackfella tucka

The hunt wasn't over though. While collecting branches to shade the meat, only a few metres from the butchered calf, a boar trotts past me. I was stunned as it walked a mere 5 metres passed me but Steve was quicker on my report and gave chase to dispatch it and take a photo of a pig as a trophy too.

Pigs at Gan Gan are targets of opportunity, but several were sighted over the week

The night ended with the meat being distributed to the traditional owners. What a great ending to a fine week of hunting. Maybe I would be back in the Top End again next year or perhaps much sooner .......

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 5 [Re: Ezine]
      #18719 - 31/08/04 04:12 PM

See the small dark green bush behind Steve's head (the guy with the sunglasses). That is where the pig walked through and these two blind fellows did not even see it!!!!

Steve still got a bullet in before me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - the camp [Re: NitroX]
      #18766 - 01/09/04 09:35 PM

Some photos of our camp.

Billabong in front of the camp. Yes "Salties" do lurk
there.

Tents for clients, guides, storage sheds, an open annex
kitchen plus a mosquito mesh dining area

Six European style trophies. The result of a family of
five's hunting for 2 1/2 days! All are high nineties to
one hundred plus.

No "blackamatics" here. Steve trying to wash out the very
persistent mud out of the previous days hunting clothes.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 5 [Re: NitroX]
      #18767 - 01/09/04 09:45 PM

John,

The hunt report was absolutely wonderful. What an adventure!

You did not say if hunting with Matt was pretty good or not.

Matt, did John and Steve behave themselves?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 5 [Re: AspenHill]
      #18770 - 01/09/04 10:02 PM

Ann

Matt Graham is a great guide. He would work out a way to get to the buffalo. Sometimes people wait them out and hunt them when they come to dry land. Sometimes it is quicker just to get into the mud! and have fun.

Matt is actually back at Gan Gan doing a last safari for the season for a client until mid-September.

Guess where I am heading on the 12th or 13th?

Back to the NT for three weeks for a holiday with my wife. The usual touristy stuff, Kakadu, Litchfield Nat Park, Katherine River Gorge etc but if I am lucky a few more days hunting, maybe pigs and waterfowl and if I am REALLY lucky I may look for another big MUD-BOY. At a different place this time.

In reply to:

did John and Steve behave themselves?

Always, of course.

I don't think the other two guys believed some of my stories.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #18774 - 01/09/04 11:57 PM

When you speak to Matt next please see what he thinks about bow hunting a mud-boy.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 5 [Re: AspenHill]
      #18826 - 03/09/04 09:49 AM

Nitro

What a great story. I envy the ability some of you have to put adventures to print. I think a European mount is 'good enough'. I bet Matt would agree if pressed.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #18874 - 03/09/04 09:50 PM

Nitro

Good story telling. After all, you've kept us all in suspense so long that you were obligated to give us the happy ending.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#18941 - 05/09/04 01:18 AM

Shoot-out in the NT

Met up with 'Marrakai' while in Darwin and we managed to have a shot or three with some doubles at the range. First time I have been to a 'real' range for ten years!

The target is deliberately distant to hide the evidence of my shooting.

Had fun shooting "The Fat Lady" plus a couple others and dinner overlooking the Arafura Sea during sunset later (Marrakai - don't correct me, don't let facts get in the way of a story).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Siskiyous6
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/04
Loc: Del Norte COunty, CA
      #21152 - 23/11/04 04:56 AM

WOW - Great Story, great country, Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Pass it on!

8mm
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
      #21878 - 07/12/04 03:34 PM

John,

Finally remebered to sign up and read your story. Great story, hope to get up there for a buff hunt some time in the near future.

Cheers,

JD

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#337976 - 16/02/20 03:09 AM

Tags: 2004 , Water Buffalo , Gan Gan , Arnhemland , Top End , Hunt Australia , Matt Graham , .450 No.2 Nitro Express , WJ Jeffery

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375333 - 20/03/23 05:51 PM

19 years ago. Unbelievable!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "Water Buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: NitroX]
      #375338 - 21/03/23 03:58 AM

Good thread, john.
We were supposed to get up to see 'Marrakai' in Darwin in 2020 & the rest of you blokes. Unfortunately, we didn't even get to Adelaide- almost, though. Home to BC in 10 days out of a 6 week trip.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: "Water Buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: DarylS]
      #375340 - 21/03/23 07:22 AM

Would have been a magnificent trip John!
Some very nice heads taken

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: "Water Buffalo at Gan Gan" - Day 2 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #375342 - 21/03/23 07:50 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Noice! NitroX and thanks for sharing.

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15981

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com