Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia? [Re: Homer]
      #220898 - 04/12/12 04:23 PM

Quote:

When the law changed down here, I made inquiries about what justified a Suppressor/Can?
IIRC, both my own solicitor and the AFP F/arms Rego down here confirmed that it was; "The Threaded Portion or Bayonet Mount That Attaches To the Firearm" was the key part!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Quote:

Homer, thanks for clearing that up. So even just a threaded washer looking thing is illegal. It looked so innocuous that if it was in a workshop drawer you wouldn't even know it was. Hmmm maybe the whole point I guess!

Probably depends on the State or Territory legislation again.

I understand when silencers were banned in SA two or three decades ago, the actual silencer or suppressor was illegal to own. Having a threaded muzzle on your barrel was not illegal. Never had legal advice on this though, so of course not giving legal advice on the matter.

Homer,

You may have stated somewhere previously. How effective are these suppressors on high velocity rounds? How quiet or otherwise are they?

Using a borrowed rifle in Norway, I didn't really notice the difference. However it is claimed the animals have trouble placing the direction of the shot. Must have some reduction in the muzzle and noise as well, except I couldn't hear any real difference. Never tested in out intentionally or systematically though. Of course the sonic crack will still occur with high velocity rounds.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bakposten
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/12
Loc: Norway
Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia? [Re: NitroX]
      #220907 - 04/12/12 07:14 PM

According to a test done in a hunting magazine up here in 2011 the test winning moderator reduced a 308 win from 170 to 130 decibel.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia? [Re: Viking338]
      #220910 - 04/12/12 09:12 PM

Quote:

Homer, thanks for clearing that up. So even just a threaded washer looking thing is illegal. It looked so innocuous that if it was in a workshop drawer you wouldn't even know it was. Hmmm maybe the whole point I guess!

G'Day Fella's,

Viking 338, it was just a bit of threaded metal, until you brought the authorities up to speed on it!
Mate, I'm not being critical of you, it's just that I'm sure there are a heap of individuals sitting at there computers up at Russell Hill (Ooops! That would have just got a Flag Flying!!!), reading every thing we post here on NE!

But please remember, these same Government people, are helping to keep us all safe!!!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #220911 - 04/12/12 09:28 PM

Homer is having a joke, but forums are read by Police or other authorities from time to time. Some are even members.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Homer
.416 member

#220912 - 04/12/12 09:36 PM

Homer,

You may have stated somewhere previously. How effective are these suppressors on high velocity rounds? How quiet or otherwise are they?

Using a borrowed rifle in Norway, I didn't really notice the difference. However it is claimed the animals have trouble placing the direction of the shot. Must have some reduction in the muzzle and noise as well, except I couldn't hear any real difference. Never tested in out intentionally or systematically though. Of course the sonic crack will still occur with high velocity rounds.

G'Day Fella's,

Nitro X, the best example I can give you is;
I was doing some testing one day and a younger hunting/shooting mate of mine (who has almost always worn ear muffs, so still has good hearing), was there that day. I asked him to stand 5meters to the side and behind me whilst I fired some Super-Sonic (.223Rem, 55gr @ 3200+fps handloaded) ammo. I fired a series of shots and then asked him what he thought and also, how was his hearing? Were his ears ringing? To which he replied No, their fine! I then gave him 5 rounds of the same ammo and said have a shot. He proceeded to fire off this ammo and I then asked him again, hows your hearing? Are your ears ringing, to which he again replied No, their still fine! But this time, he had a huge grin on his face!!!

That is the best practical example I'm able to give!

Now, I have to qualify this by stating, it was just a .223Rem and even one of my "Cans" on a .308 is a some amount louder! I'm still in the process of refining my "Cans", for these larger powder capacity cartridges. But this will include working the combustion gas for these (.308-.30-06-Magnum and .338 Lapua Mag), even harder by shortening them up quite a bit! As an example, I'm hoping to get the .308 Cans down to <140mm OAL, etc etc......!

Hope that helps answer some questions.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #220914 - 04/12/12 09:43 PM

Another of JB`s..Well the units I used in Ireland were fantastic,negligible muzzle jump and the noise reduced immensely,I was super impressed.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #220940 - 05/12/12 10:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Viking 338, it was just a bit of threaded metal, until you brought the authorities up to speed on it!
Mate, I'm not being critical of you, it's just that I'm sure there are a heap of individuals sitting at there computers up at Russell Hill (Ooops! That would have just got a Flag Flying!!!), reading every thing we post here on NE!

But please remember, these same Government people, are helping to keep us all safe!!!

Doh!
Homer

Hi Homer, i did not think you were being critical. It's just i was bored Googling stuff in the office at work and followed some links that led me to all this stuff on You Tube. So I figure "they" know and I was just curious as I am old enough to remember when you could just order them from the back of the Australian Post and People magazines etc. It was purely out of curiosity and adding to the thread.

Do like your work

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia? [Re: Viking338]
      #221266 - 10/12/12 05:58 AM

The ID of the pipes as sent by the mate.

ASE ULTRA COMPACT SUPPRESSOR on the first and on the second rifle its a T8

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia? [Re: gryphon]
      #221272 - 10/12/12 08:08 AM

Damn - I'd like to have one, but, but, but,

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Gaff
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/11
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia? [Re: DarylS]
      #222310 - 24/12/12 11:28 PM

Homer, are you welding them instead of screwing them together to save time and production costs ? just being a machinist myself they look a bit rough to a fussy bugger like me.

Cheers gaff

Edited by Gaff (24/12/12 11:31 PM)

Homer
.416 member

Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia? [Re: Gaff]
      #222324 - 25/12/12 05:05 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Gaff, yes both ends are TIG fusion welded in place, by me!
I achieve this, on a rotary jig I designed and made myself.

These suppressors/"Cans" are like most Military & Police marketed (but equally at home, on a Hunters rifle), suppressors these days.
With all of the "Can" being constructed of marine grade stainless steel, you don't need inquisitive or bored owners pulling these apart, to "See How They Work" and not re-assemble them correctly!!!

Gaff, I'm a firm believer in a couple of old engineering principles, they are;
1) Form Follows Function!
2) Keep It Simple Stupid! (The K.I.S.S. principle)

Merry Christmas
Homer

--------------------

Gaff
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/11
Loc: Darwin NT
      #222349 - 25/12/12 08:26 PM

All good Homer, I can understand you wanting to keep tinkering fingers out , I had a look inside a mates 308 can that was made by someone in Melbourne and it was quite complex , not just a heap of spaced washers like the old 22 ones you used to be able to buy.

Cheers gaff

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #222362 - 26/12/12 08:08 AM

Quote:

The one on the 7x64 you used reduces the sound by about 28db IIRC. Had you tried it one shot with, and one shot without, you would have noticed the difference.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11234

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com