Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Using #1's on the Big 6

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Using #1's on the Big 6
      #67736 - 22/12/06 12:34 PM

Has anyone on here ever use a #1 on one of the Big 6.What cal.did you use?What do P.H.'s think of using a single shot on D.G. animals?

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shrike
.224 member

Reged: 16/07/04
Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #69366 - 12/01/07 01:21 PM

Kevin Robertson of "Perfect shot" and his latest book "Africas most Dangerous" has no problem with a client using a single shot on dangerous game.
Thatis because it is your first shot that really is supposed to do the animal in and the client has a PH besides him with a stopping rifle to sort things out for when everything goes wrong.
Also a single shot like a Ruger no.1 can be reloaded very fast if a spare shell is kept handy.

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: shrike]
      #69371 - 12/01/07 05:13 PM

I'll have to get the book and read it sounds interresting.Thanks,Shrike.I started to think no one was going to put anything on this.For as many #1-H's that are out there you would think someone would have hunted one of the 6 with one.Thanks for the info.Dave

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #69393 - 13/01/07 04:03 AM

my son and i used a #1 in .405 with open sights on a cape buff each. we hunted with HHK in Zim and they had no qualms with us using it and we had no problems getting off folow up shots.

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: degoins]
      #69446 - 14/01/07 04:45 AM

Degoins

What .405 load did you use for buff? and how many shots did it take?

I took mine to RSA but the biggest thing I shot was a Blue Wildebeest which didn't seem to slow down the 400gr Woodleigh soft.

degoins
.333 member

Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: Rick_R]
      #69633 - 17/01/07 03:52 AM

Rick IIRC it was 51 grains of reloader 7 and a 300 gr cast gas checked bullet from mt baldy bullets. i shot my bull 6 times before he ever got still. 4 while he was on his feet and 2 more on the ground. my son put 3 in his.....2 on his feet and 1 on the ground, but the ph and the driver got in on his because it started to charge. i think they put 2 each in him with thier .458s. i'm pretty sure if we'd had some real solids and good softs performance would have been much better, but i just couldnt find any at the time. i will say this though.....those cast bullets did bust every heavy boen they encountered, but the bullets themselves would either shatter or be severely reduced....normally by half. we also shot an impala each with the 405........i shot mine from back to front and the pullet was poking out of the skin on the front right shoulder after being hit from the left hind quarter. my son hit his through the lungs and the bullet just kept on going.

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: degoins]
      #69641 - 17/01/07 05:58 AM

Sounds like you and your son practiced reloading before going hunting and had a great time!!!

I carried four rounds in an Alaskan Guide sling and learned to trap the sling with the little finger of my left hand thru the elastic strap that runs up the sling. That turns the sling over and puts the rounds near the right hand. I shot Mr Wildebeest once thru the chest and as he galluphed off I reloaded, my PH watched him go and said "reload", I said "I did", he said "reload, quickly", I pointed at the empty brass laying between us on the round "I already did".

FWIW try the Woodleighs, I've got 400gr soft and solids loaded to hit same POA/POI at around 2,000 fps and feel sure they would work for most critters. The soft point load will shoot into 1 - 1.5" at 100 yards all day long. I worked up to a bit over the Varget data listed in the Hodgdon site before they published it and never saw a reason to change my load.

One of the Gun Lust magazines had an article a year or so ago about hunting Cape Buff with a #1 in .458 Lott and the writer survived. I believe he carried his extra rounds in an elastic butt cuff.

If single shots weren't viable the early settlers must have been good at hiding from the Big 6 to have survived...

kagmeister
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: Rick_R]
      #69674 - 17/01/07 05:30 PM

Three years ago I hunted in Zim on a 2X1 buffalo and plains game hunt. My partner used a stainless #1 Tropical in 375 H&H. He had no problem. He and the PH fired at almost the same time in very thick brush from only 15 yards. The buffalo dropped in his tracks. (Shoulder/neck shots) While my preference is for a good bolt or double rifle, there is alot that can be said for the simplicity and accuracy and durability of the #1. I believe you could travel the world with great confidence that when you pulled the trigger, the gun would go off, and you would hit where you were aiming.

--------------------
What One Man Can Do, So Can Another
Stand Firm, Shoot Straight

degoins
.333 member

Re: Using #1's on the Big 6 [Re: kagmeister]
      #69688 - 17/01/07 10:26 PM

Rick, we indeed had a great hunt, but i must admit we didnt do much praticing at speed loading at all. in fact my son only fired that rifle a few times before the hunt, but we've both been hunting with single shots for years so we were familiar with the process. we carried 2 extra rounds between our fingers when closing on the buff. your idea sounds better though......seems less likely to drop em that way, and obviously you were able to cut loose on that beasty.

i would have liked to try some of those Woodlieghs on our hunt, but at the time i couldnt find any load data for 400 grain bullets. i've got some now for my 450/400 Searcy that i might try in the 405. i think they would work fine on buff at that velocity and the little 405 #1 is an easy carrying rifle........actually that's why i chose it over a 375 #1. i knew we'd be doing a lot more carrying than shooting and my son wasnt as strong as i was at the time so i thought the much lighter 405 would be a better choice for him.

i've never really felt at a disadvantage while hunting with sigle shots, of course i've only hunted DG once and i have a double now to hunt DG with. i dearly love the looks and balance of well made singles and doubles and that is why i hunt with them mostly.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3487

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com