Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Toy, Take II

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
New Toy, Take II
      #113846 - 07/09/08 02:08 PM

Gentlemens:

I thought I would start a new thread as there probably were enough pictures on the other one. Here is it. Done. Stick a fork in it. And with four days to spare. I will shoot it for the first time tomorrow...

These are not exactly studio images, but is it hard to get good help.

Glenn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: Glenn_Fewless]
      #113847 - 07/09/08 02:22 PM

All I can say is WOW!

What a beautiful piece of work you have there, I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Brilliant

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: Cinghiale]
      #113849 - 07/09/08 02:25 PM

Glenn-

You've spoiled yourself.
The old man did a good job scratching too!

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #113884 - 07/09/08 10:51 PM

Glenn,

A Botticelli painting does not need studio quality to show its beauty and neither does your magnificent rifle! What an outstanding beauty!

Very good hunting and thanks for sharing some of the loveliest pictures here.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #113889 - 08/09/08 12:56 AM

Beautiful looking weapon Glen...you should be VERY proud...

Let us know how it shoots...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
      #113992 - 09/09/08 05:41 AM

Uhh... WOW! Awesome build!!

--------------------
MarinePMI

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #113996 - 09/09/08 06:55 AM

Glenn, that is absolutely stunning in every detail, I wouldn't change a thing. Fabulous.
Steve

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #114020 - 09/09/08 01:52 PM

Very nice. I don't know what else to say. Let us know how it shoots.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #114030 - 09/09/08 04:29 PM

That is truely a work of art Glenn! Congratulations on a spectacular job! I hope it shoot's at least half as good as it looks. It'll be a winner for sure.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: AkMike]
      #114139 - 11/09/08 01:49 AM

Simply gorgeous!!!!

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: degoins]
      #114143 - 11/09/08 02:36 AM

You're too modest! Great photos and lovely rifle!

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #114154 - 11/09/08 04:54 AM

Gentlemens:

Thanks again for all kind words. There is no craftsman who doesn't like having his work appreciated. In light of that, it is time for credit where credit is due.

The wood is a graduation present from my good friends at Quaking Aspens. It is a fabulous piece of wild black walnut with a layout that is perfect for this rifle. Thanks Cathy and Ray!
http://familygrade.blogspot.com/

The action is a somewhat modified Frank Wesson #1 Long Range reproduction by Mr. Steve Earle. This action is without question the finest I have ever worked with. Both the workmanship and materials are perfect.
Steve Earle <steven.m.earle@comcast.net>

The barrel is from Green Mountain, as are all the barrels on my big bore target rifles. I have had very good success with GM barrels and a positive relationship with the company. Good barrels at a fair price shipped promptly. What's not to like?
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/

The stock work was done by Mr. Doug Mann. Doug is a Guild stockmaker (and it shows) and a good friend of mine. It is really fine workmanship.
Douglas Mann <customfox@hotmail.com>

As noted before, the metal scratching is by Mr. Ken Hurst. You really have to hold it in your hands to appreciate the detail and scale of the work. Mr. Hurst out did himself on this one.
Ken Hurst <kenhurst@suddenlink.net>

The color case hardening was done by Classic Guns. It was hard to take those beautiful colors off the frame when I grayed it, but you can still see the colors on the block and lever. Classic does fabulous color hardening, and it is real case hardening, not just colors. Knowing that I was against the wall trying to finish the rifle in time, Classic turned the work around in one day. My thanks to the good folks at Classic!
http://www.classicgunsinc.com/

This is a target rifle, and therefore only as good as its sights. The front globe and rear tang sights chosen for this rifle are from Jim Kluskens at Distant Thunder Shooting Products.
http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/

The butt plate and grip cap, as well as the rest of the metal work and the rust bluing were done by the head mook here at Mook Machine Works in fabulous downtown Waterford, Wisconsin, USA.

Here is one more picture of the rifle in situ. It appears like it is going to shoot pretty well. The rest is up to the operator...

Best to all,

Glenn

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #114161 - 11/09/08 06:03 AM

Glenn,
Wow, what A nice rifle! And thanks for sharing it and the names and addresses of the great craftsmen who helped you get it done. Bob H.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #114251 - 12/09/08 11:16 AM

Congratulations, Glenn. That's one fine rifle. Thanks for posting the photos you have put on this thread and on the original thread.

I spoke with Ken Hurst last week about a possible engraving job. He is really high on your rifle. He also told me about some of your skills, which you have certainly understated on this thread.

Best of luck at Lodi,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: CptCurl]
      #114407 - 14/09/08 05:19 PM

Glenn,

been off line for a few days and I was just going to look at your rifle again.
thanks for the new pictures, WOW! It would be an honor to have a man's name on that work list. I know you gotta, but I just can't believe you're going to shoot it. :^) I love it.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: dale]
      #116617 - 10/10/08 10:25 PM

Glenn,

It would be great to hear how this beauty performed at Lodi. Any reports?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Peconga
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/07
Loc: Arizona USA
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: CptCurl]
      #116736 - 12/10/08 02:01 PM

Simply gorgeous, Glenn! Fabulous work.

I can't wait to see what you do with the Gibbs Farquharson you bought from me a while back.

Cheers!

P.S. A buddy of mine says you can borrow his .340 Weatherby reamer if you need it :-)

--------------------
Peconga in Arizona USA

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: Peconga]
      #116849 - 13/10/08 08:45 PM

I had the good fortune to handle Glenns beautiful rifle on several occasions during the world Creedmore at Lodi WI.I was shooting target 14 and Glenn was shooting target 16. At 300 500 and 600 yds it was only out of the black once.This rifle shoots wonderfully well and the guy hanging onto it handels it extremly well. A helluva a shot.I personally like the case colours of the under lever and the wood is something out of this world.
good shooting
sbs470

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

#116881 - 14/10/08 04:56 AM

Gentlemens:

Thanks again for all the kind word. Barry, it was a pleasure meeting you and I am glad to see you arrived home safe and sound.

The rifle did shoot pretty well. Even I had a few moments of adequacy, but I got over it quickly. The midrange part of the match was shot prone with a sling, something I had never done before. There was a bit of a learning curve there, but it was fun and I think I will do better next time.

The long range was shot at 800, 900 and 1000 yards, and the rules allowed a wrist rest for support. The rest is most anything that you can rest your forward hand on, the only rule being that your hand must be between the rest and the rifle. I have shot long range before, but always with cross sticks as allowed by NRA rules. The wrist rest thing is a new challenge, but I liked it as well. I believe I will continue to shoot that way. The recoil seems easier to manage.

The rifle shot real well out to 900 yards. In fact towards the end of the match it shot a remarkable string at 900 and would have posted a sterling score if it was not for an inexplicable (It could not possibly been my fault) miss. The string scored 10, X, X, X, M, 8, 10.... Howsomever, the rifle seems to have come undone a bit at 1000.

There is something about that last 100 yards of air between 900 and 1000 that really has an effect on the bullets flight to a much greater degree than the extra 100 yards would dictate. In this case I think that 900 yards was about the limit of the load I was using. Even in good conditions at 1000 I was using the whole target, and when conditions worsened I was not able to hold the target. The .45-70 is not the ideal long range cartridge and I was experimenting with a relatively light bullet at higher velocity. I had wanted to do this experimenting six months ago, but that was not to be.

Right now I am uncertain what to do with the rifle. I may leave it as it is for a midrange and silhouette rifle, or I may rechamber to .45-90 for long range. I have a dedicated long range rifle, but at 15 pounds it is too heavy for the 13 pound limit in International rules, and too barrel heavy to shoot off of a wrist rest anyway. I will either rebarrel the heavy rifle to make the 13 pound limit or rechamber the new one to .45-90.

All in all, the match was a grand time. For the individual matches I was paired with Bob E. from Alaska and really enjoyed shooting with him. For the team events I was chosen to fill out the New Zealand team. They were a great bunch of guys and a pleasure to shoot with. I learned a lot from them. It was week spent with old friends and new, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Best to all,

Glenn

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #116975 - 15/10/08 01:17 PM

Mr. Fewless
Is this Bob E from Eagle River Ak? Just curious...
Mike

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: AkMike]
      #116986 - 15/10/08 03:11 PM

Mike:

I believe this Bob E. is from Anchorage.

BTW, methinks your barrel is about to manifest itself here. I got a letter...

Glenn

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #116992 - 15/10/08 04:33 PM

HOLY COW!!! That is a true work of art, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: luv2safari]
      #117007 - 15/10/08 10:54 PM

Glenn,

You have one really fine modern classic, made with impeccable taste and skill. It sounds like it shoots as good as it looks. That's how it should be. You are very fortunate.

Thank you very much for giving us the pleasure of seeing it.

Best,
Curl

OT to SBS470:

Barry, it was good to meet you in Maryland and I'm sorry we failed to meet up on Friday. I had an informative conversation with Graeme Wright on Saturday about some NFB loading I am doing, and my experience using Varget in a .577 2 3/4" BPE double. It's good of you Aussies to come visit. Hope you can return soon.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

Re: New Toy, Take II [Re: Peconga]
      #117032 - 16/10/08 04:44 AM

Quote:

Simply gorgeous, Glenn! Fabulous work.

I can't wait to see what you do with the Gibbs Farquharson you bought from me a while back.

Cheers!

P.S. A buddy of mine says you can borrow his .340 Weatherby reamer if you need it :-)

Mr. Peconga:

I thought I recognized that name, but could not place it! That Gibbs Farquharson is a fine action. I don't know who did the work on it but they do not seem to have messed with the action at all, except for disabling the safety.

Next time you see it the action will be built into a traditional sporting rifle. I have not yet worked out the details, including caliber. Howsomever, I will let you know about the reamer. The .340 Weatherby is on the short list...

Best regards,

Glenn

Glenn_Fewless
.300 member

#117035 - 16/10/08 05:01 AM

Gentlemens:

If y'all want to see this rifle up close and personal like, it will be on my table at the ACGG Exhibition in Reno, NV January 23, 24 & 25. There will be a whole banquet hall filled with firearms like this. It really is a marvelous show. Many of the finest gunmakers in the world will be there with their work on display.

The Guild show coincides with the Reno Safari Club show, so if you are in town for that, be sure to get over to the Guild show. It is really an impressive show.

http://www.acgg.org/show.html

Regard to all,

Glenn

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17748

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com