Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Re: Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling 16br; 9.3x83m

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
MartyG
.224 member

Reged: 06/04/11
Loc: Western CApe, South Africa
Re: Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling 16br; 9.3x83m
      #178505 - 07/04/11 06:50 PM

Hi - I am new to the site. I have just read the post by twalker on the same gun, mine not in as good condition or with the same quality engraving. Belonged to my grandfather and was about to be detroyed with the draconian South African gun laws. Saved it from an ignominious end. I have a couple of questions though which I would be grateful if someone could fill me in.
1. Are the barrels damascus barrels
2. Will the shotgun barrels take modern day 16gauge 2 1/2" shells?
3. I have a box of 9.3 x72m ammo - can i use these instead of the 83mm rounds?
4.I would like to reload anyway - I assume the powder in use was black powder, can i use a modern day powder and what should I use. What bullet and primer should I use.
The gun is with the gunsmith at the moment being checked out. when I get it back I will post some pics.
Look forward to hearing from someone.
Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling 16br; 9.3x83m [Re: MartyG]
      #178528 - 08/04/11 05:00 AM

1. Are the barrels damascus barrels?

very good question, probably yes, we need pics

2. Will the shotgun barrels take modern day 16gauge 2 1/2" shells?

maybe, maybe for some rounds but maybe not, there is no 16 ga nitro load on the market somewhere on this planet with the recommendation from the maker for old blackpowder guns. I must say that there is nothing like a low pressure 16 ga cartridge available. I dont know what for ammo or reloading components are on the south african market. loading shotshell cartridges isnt so simply as it seems. if you can get 16 ga blackpowder ammo - I believe Gamebore in great britain load it - you can shot it without problems in your drilling. if not start loading your own blackpowder ammo and get a feeling for this stuff. I would allways use magtech brass but if you have plastic or paper shells cut it to 65 mm if its 70mm long.
think you will find low pressure nitro loads here but be careful because this is not for beginners http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

and here
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

3. I have a box of 9.3 x72m ammo - can i use these instead of the 83mm rounds?

probably yes, not exactly like 38 special in 357 mag but similar

be sure you know your caliber, make a chamber cast and slug the barrel. the correct designation for this cartridge is 9,3x82R 360. better you get 82mm long brass, believe Bertram made it and Horneber in germany . the 193 grains 9,3mm/.364 softpoint bullet from RWS or Sellier&Bellot is the right thing for you. the 9,3x82R was becoming obsolete with nitro for black loads for the 9,3x72R because the 1 gramm blackpowder more you can get into the longer case could not match the nitro velocity anymore.
than there was also a NfB load for the 9,3x82R with the same 193 grains softpoint bullet in the same class like the 9,3x72R.

9,3x72R V0 590m/sec
9,3x82R V0 620 m/sec

9,3x72R loads will be a starting point for you. shot it over a chrony and increase the load till you clock at 620 m/sec

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

MartyG
.224 member

Reged: 06/04/11
Loc: Western CApe, South Africa
Re: Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling 16br; 9.3x83m [Re: lancaster]
      #178566 - 08/04/11 08:20 PM

Thanks lancaster for your response - very helpful and interesting but will take to my local gunsmith and he can explain everything to me in laymans terms. One final question, is it possible that the gun has been 'proofed'and if it has are there any marks on the barrels that i should look for that would indicate this.

wahoo
.224 member

Reged: 18/12/07
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling 16br; 9.3x83m [Re: MartyG]
      #179989 - 26/04/11 11:28 AM

Marty,

For low-pressure 16 ga loads, google for Polywad and RST. Can't vouch for availability in your part of the world, though.

Good luck.

--------------------
"I've never killed a man, but I've read a lot of obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3803

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com