Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Curry

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Curry
      #87201 - 16/10/07 01:03 AM

This is a subject I know very little about but I have found a curry I really like and use it on chicken. It is called 'Muchi' Curry and I purchase it at a shope called "Whole Foods" which is an upscale store (and thus expensive) here in the US. One of the main reasons I like this particular curry blend is it is not spicy hot, it just seems to impart a blended flavor to your food as well as a very pleasant aroma. Oddly enough, Muchi is usually listed as a hot curry. This one isn't.

I assume curries are pretty much a blend of various spices, I do know there is Cumin in this one which is a fantastic spice in my eyes.

I am sure some of you know more about curries. Do you blend your own? Any recommendations?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Curry [Re: AspenHill]
      #87204 - 16/10/07 01:34 AM

Ann

You should log onto the Food Network channel. Don't know the website but it should be easy to do a search. They've had shows on the different spices that get pan roasted before grinding it. It's all in what kind of flavors you want.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Curry [Re: 475Guy]
      #96480 - 11/02/08 02:23 AM

Here's a recent meal, curried roast duck. The duck was home grown and home processed. Roasted in a Dutch oven.

Delicious

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #96482 - 11/02/08 02:55 AM

Looks delectable!!!

We love curries of all kinds. Hot or not.

Curried, crockpotted bear is a favorite:

1 bear roast
1 cups red wine
1 can mixed fruit with syrup
1 can diced pineapple with syrup
1 tbs roasted coriander
lots of pepper
1/4 c molasses
Couple dollops of apricot jam
5 or 6 large cloves crushed garlic added straight in or first fried in olive oil
Curry to taste {not sure how much I put in. Till it "looks good". Lots}
Start in morning, crockpot all day.

Salt to taste and serve on rice with a glass of good Pinot Noir. YUM!

This is one of our favorites but actually, darn near anything curried is a delight; venison or lamb stew meat or "cleanup" cuts and necks, shellfish, also very good.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Curry [Re: 9.3x57]
      #96485 - 11/02/08 03:44 AM

9Three-

Sounds very good! Will try on my next bear. One suggestion though, try red wine VINEGAR instead of straight wine for cooking. Great in stews, chili and roasts, the vinegar makes a very big difference.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
      #103478 - 25/04/08 09:36 AM

I've never used this one, but have used other blends from Foodnetwork.com with good results (almost NEVER buy spice blends anymore...much cheaper to make my own).

Curry Blend
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25741,00.html

--------------------
MarinePMI

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Curry [Re: MarinePMI]
      #103506 - 25/04/08 04:28 PM

I can help out with authentic Indian curry.

I enjoy cooking meat dishes when we have guests for dinner. Over the years I have learnt to find effective ways of making curry spice blends without the traditional grinding stones we used in India. The trick is to always mildly roast / fry the spices before grinding them in a coffee grinder or a blender with the small attachment & sharp blades. The roasting / frying of the spices (do not burn them) releases the oils & flavours which linger around & give the great blend.

The other trick is to add a cup of unsweetened yogurt or sour cream while marinating the meat. It is also worth trying 2 or 3 table spoons of almond powder in the mix while rosing the spices.

Adding fruits like pineapple, raisins etc. is not an Indian tradition but probably a Caribbean innovation.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #103508 - 25/04/08 06:10 PM

Sounds delicious! Its funny - in all the articles I've read about bear hunts, you almost never hear of the meat side of the equation!

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Curry [Re: Nakihunter]
      #103516 - 25/04/08 11:02 PM

Quote:

The trick is to always mildly roast / fry the spices before grinding them in a coffee grinder or a blender with the small attachment & sharp blades. The roasting / frying of the spices (do not burn them) releases the oils & flavours which linger around & give the great blend.

Adding fruits like pineapple, raisins etc. is not an Indian tradition but probably a Caribbean innovation.

Naki:

Thanks for the info!

YES, the roasting of the spices DOES make a big difference. I have a mortar and pestle which I use to grind the coriander when we buy it unground, and then put the ground spice in a pan and place it over the stove heat as I keep the pan in motion {learned the hard way...left alone the spice on the bottom burns before the top gets roasted}.

As for the fruits and bear curry, that comes from the natural affinity bear meat seems to have for fruit even without curry. Indeed, a bear roast is delicious when served with apple/mint jelly, apricot or raspberry, strawberry, etc jam. I really do not know the traditional ways of eating curry, just know what tastes good to me and us, so it is interesting to here anything you have to say there. We cook what tastes good to us, and experiment all the time. And fruit curry just plain tastes good!

{...one of our favorite meat sauces is 1/4 part "A-ONE" sauce mixed with 3/4 parts apricot jam...}

Jabali: for many years, bear in various parts of the country and in particular, here, were considered varmints like coyotes, and after being shot were skinned out, the meat being left in the woods. Some years ago, the game department here changed the law and banned the wastage of bear meat. Now, of all the game considered "Big Game", only lion meat can be left in the woods, tho lots of folks eat that now, too.

Yet bear is hamstrung by a reputation for being bad-tasting. Yet EVERY SINGLE PERSON {quite a few cityslickers and non-hunters, too} I have served bear to loves it, the roasts being indistinguishable from fine aged beef. It is the tenderest meat in the woods. And the fat is absolutely delicious. I've read that many years ago it was considered the finest pastry shortening available, and I do not doubt it.

Why this paradox?

Not sure, but I believe it has to do with the common and quite erroneous belief that all meat must be "hung" and the weather in which bear are commonly shot, at least here in the West. During both bear seasons the weather can be and often is very warm. I've shot bear in very hot weather, temperatures that DEMAND fast skinning and quick butchering. MANY guys around here take their time, and I believe this results in much bear meat going "off" to some degree before it is served. Add a few days or a week of hanging and the result is unpleasant to say the least, unhealthful probably. Sometimes a hunter does not not do the butchering himself, and, naturally, waiting a week for the butcher to schedule the thing in adds up to the same result.

Anyway, bear is delicious, both spring and berry-fed fall bear. I've shot a number of them in both seasons in all weather common to those seasons and never had a bad tasting one. But we hustle FAST to get the critter home, cut, wrapped and in the freezer. I believe this is the reason folks find ours so tasty while claiming some others are inedible.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

MarinePMI
.275 member

#103522 - 26/04/08 12:46 AM

9.3x57,

It's starting to sound like you may want to also experiment with some chutney's for your bear. Generally they add quite a bit of the jam/jelly taste, but with a much more complex set of flavors.

Just a thought...

Sounds almost like a grilled nectarines, sherry vinegar, honey, freash basil and red onions with some toasted pine nuts would go well with what you're describing...dang, now I'm getting hungry.

--------------------
MarinePMI

MarinePMI
.275 member

#103523 - 26/04/08 12:50 AM

Oops,

Guess my memory is not as good as it used to be...

Try this (it's awesome)...

Pork Chops with Nectarine Relish
FAST
TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
SERVES: 4
In the summertime, Bobby Flay loves eating relishes made with either fresh or grilled fruit. Smoky-sweet grilled nectarines mixed with honey, balsamic vinegar and crunchy pine nuts are fantastic with juicy pork chops.
ingredients
1/4 cup pine nuts
Four 6-ounce center-cut boneless pork chops, about 1 inch thick
Olive oil, for brushing
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 firm nectarines, halved and pitted
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon shredded basil

Directions

Light a grill.

In a skillet, toast the pine nuts over high heat, stirring, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Brush the chops with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the chops over high heat, turning once, until cooked through, 10 to 11 minutes.
Transfer to a plate; let rest for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, brush the nectarines with olive oil and grill cut side down until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn and grill until charred and softened, about 2 minutes longer; cut into 1/2-inch dice. Put the nectarines in a bowl and stir in the vinegar and honey. Add the onion, basil and pine nuts and season with salt and pepper.

Serve the pork chops topped with the relish.

WINE A fruity, flamboyant Australian red like the 2002 Tintara McLaren Vale Shiraz or 2002 Grant Burge Barossa Vines Shiraz.

--------------------
MarinePMI

9.3x57
.450 member

#103530 - 26/04/08 01:48 AM

MPMI:

YES, chutneys!! Love them!

Tough to find here, but I guess we could make them. Occaisionally a grocer nearby has some, and we grab it.

Seems like no two chutneys are alike...Naki?

{I remember the really cheap ones we used to buy in SA and ate with boerwors. Seems like the cheaper the better to me, but I have an unrepentant sweet-tooth... BTW: I have our butcher make boerwors for me here, with lamb, venison, or whatever etc. Reminds me of the street vendors in Maritzburg. But chutneys are tough to find...}

--------------------

MarinePMI
.275 member

#103551 - 26/04/08 06:47 AM

Are boerwors that SA traditional sausage? My neighbor was talking about how they make it once a year, as it is either impossible or expensive (and not as good) to get here in southern California.

At the last get together, him and his wife served my wife and I this sausage. It was indeed quite tasty!

--------------------
MarinePMI

9.3x57
.450 member

#103565 - 26/04/08 10:24 AM

Quote:

Are boerwors that SA traditional sausage? My neighbor was talking about how they make it once a year, as it is either impossible or expensive (and not as good) to get here in southern California.

At the last get together, him and his wife served my wife and I this sausage. It was indeed quite tasty!

Yes, literally "farmer sausage".

We do our own butchering except for grinding, and normally have a couple whole deer and lambs ground stem to stern, so I gave my butcher a boerwors recipe and he's made it for me with a variety of critters we've had him grind. Very good, too.

--------------------

Landy
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/08
Loc: CA & ID, USA
      #103595 - 26/04/08 04:34 PM

Mixing your spice blend into a thick paste with butter or ghee and useing in this rather than powder form seems to deepen the flavors in indian dishes. Yum!

9.3, What is the SA dish that is like a curry casserole? The name escapes me but I remember the taste. Again Yum!

Landy

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Curry [Re: Landy]
      #103608 - 26/04/08 11:03 PM

Quote:

9.3, What is the SA dish that is like a curry casserole? The name escapes me but I remember the taste. Again Yum!Landy

Sounds like sosaties.

There are, actually, quite a few SA recipes for foods that are very tasty.

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

#103806 - 29/04/08 03:15 AM

The nectarine chutney sounds awesome! My mom was telling me how she too uses a coffee grinder (electric) for grinding spices. I will have to get another to dedicated to the purpose of spice.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #103830 - 29/04/08 02:05 PM

I found a variety of curry powders at the asian market. most places have a few. i love it too. i hit the Taj Palace here about once a week or so.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3169

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com