Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Charging Brown Bear in Alaska
      #143596 - 14/10/09 12:22 AM

Not sure how legit this is--got it in an email yesterday--if nothing else, makes for a great story..

Ripp

++++++++++++++++=

Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 6:46 PM
Subject: Why They Carry Guns In Alaska

HOLY COW!

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna. Soldotna is a city in Kenai Peninsula Borough , Alaska , United States . According to 2005 Census Bureau estimates, the city had a population of 4,087. It is the seat of the Kenai Peninsula Borough
cid:1.1729310603@web62503.mail.re1.yahoo.com
Friends,
Have I got a story for you guys!
King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I
Thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning
(Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking
My dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) for the
Record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods, no
Bow hunting, no stealth occurring...
I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge-a huge brownie,
Ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no
Woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you
Think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in
About one-second! Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the general
Direction, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?)
Rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was
Shooting from-I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the
Last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my
First shot!
It was a prehistoric old boar-no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000
Lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear-its
Paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!
Never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! It’s always some other smuck, Right?
Well, no bull-I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a Knot.
Feels like I did 10000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked for
An hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers
Conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out-cant even put that
Feeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!
No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (and
Some "hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it, and managed to
Draw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total
Luck shot!
All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the
Wife and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so gonna TRY
To get some sleep now!
Talk to ya soon, -Greg
Greg & Sherri
Soldotna
, AK 99669

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: Ripp]
      #143599 - 14/10/09 12:36 AM

An undergarment changing experience best, Mike

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #143609 - 14/10/09 02:22 AM

If the bear had no teeth, he may have had trouble feeding, hence the attack.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: 500grains]
      #143614 - 14/10/09 03:57 AM

Looks like he was one lucky man.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: AspenHill]
      #143638 - 14/10/09 10:49 AM

no mention of what his dogs did while all this was happening..I would just about have shot the ferkn dogs too if they didnt back me up.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: gryphon]
      #143654 - 14/10/09 02:31 PM

that bear looks sick ,look at the coat the ribs showing this is almost hibernation time,hardly any fur,bloody leg.that guy may have been scared but he did that bear a favor.see the soar on the bottom lip.he will have a story to tell but every place on eartth thats beautiful to live has its own version of hell

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: bwananelson]
      #143671 - 14/10/09 08:00 PM

What does that old term 'popping teeth' mean? This one didn't do it 'cause he didn't have any, of course.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: Paul]
      #143678 - 14/10/09 10:08 PM

Bears make a loud and rather intimidating sound by chomping their jaws together rapidly. It is a warning sound, a sign of aggression and it raises the hair on the back of your neck when you hear it.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: AspenHill]
      #143717 - 15/10/09 03:56 AM

We actually had a black bear sow in a tree a few springs ago--she had 2 cubs with her..she was really pissed...saliva coming out of her mouth as she was popping her teeth..wish I would have had my camera along as it would have made some awesome photos...

Ripp

--------------------

PBR
.275 member

Reged: 21/08/09
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
      #143721 - 15/10/09 04:17 AM

The blood on the leg and mouth are because of the gunshot (though there does appear to be a sore on the mouth). I agree the bear was certainly sick.

I do question how a bear starts at a dead run from 20 yards away, you turn around, and still able to get a pistol out of a holster firing multiple shots from a very powerfull revolver (though from the hip). He's either the luckiest man alive...or he's lying.

I'll give him 60-40 benifit of the doubt.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: PBR]
      #143727 - 15/10/09 04:55 AM

That story is word for word correct. It happened a couple of hours south of here and was the talk of the town last summer.
He was very lucky guy!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: AkMike]
      #143744 - 15/10/09 08:36 AM

Another unrelated incident--here in Montana yesterday..fellow was hunting pheasants near Choteau..sow griz come boiling out of the brush..he shot and killed her with his 12 gauge shotgun at something like 10 feet or so..they found out later she had 3 cubs near by..not sure how old they are and if they can make it on their own..real trajedy for everyone..sow, cubs and sure the hunter was not impressed as well...

Ripp

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: Paul]
      #143762 - 15/10/09 05:24 PM

Paul , if you have ever been hunting pigs with dogs or come up on a wounded a Boar you would have heard a very simialr sound when the pigs pop their chops or strop their tusks some may think !

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: Sarg]
      #143773 - 16/10/09 01:20 AM

Really interesting thread. Really interesting that the grizz issue occured there in Montana, too. I didn't read that one yet.

As RIPP notes, we have grizzly in both Idaho and Montana. Populations have grown so much that we had one north of my house last year, and have reports every year by hound hunters of unintentionally getting on grizzly.

F&G now is saying grizz populations may be in for some trouble by wolves. Some of the wolves shot this year have been bigger than 150 pounds {I heard one reported near here that went 220 lbs}, and a pack will kill grizzly as has been shown before, particularly small and young ones if they get them bayed and they cannot tree.

I wish .458Win would post here. He has vast experience with AK bear.

Some years ago he wrote a piece for RIFLE Magazine where he said something to the effect that he does not carry a heavy sixgun because he has little faith in its ability to stop big bear, and supported the notion of carrying something light and handy {that won't get left at home due to bulk, etc}. Like a .38 Special, which he said could at least cause a bear a nuisance with a shot to the face.

I always thought that had merit, to a degree, especially the part about something on your hip being worth more than nothing on your hip. Except I shoot a pistol a fair bit, am a pretty good shot, and can't promise myself that I'd be able to plant a .38 round or any other in a bear's bobbing and weaving face and if I could, I'd rather make it a .44 at max velocity/heavy bullets. I also believe that incidents like this are rare indeed, and that .44 mags and even the Casull are not absolutely reliable on big bear. Heck, I have seen the .44 Mag fail on a small black bear. Just hitting a bear doesn't stop it. This fellow here did very well indeed.

One thing that has changed over the years is the availability of very light, heavy sixguns. The high-tech alloy frame guns are miserable to shoot, but eliminate the temptation to get left behind. In all-steel frame 6-shot guns, my 6.5 inch bbl S&W Heritage is about as light as they get, as it is basically a remade 1926 Target .44 Special, in .44 Magnum. A alloy frame .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk is a very light gun as well, and cheap.

I will say this, sort of offtopic, the sheer size of wolves being reported shot, and the three I saw last year on my place have got me rethinking the pistol caliber I carry with me on my winter ski jaunts.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: 9.3x57]
      #143780 - 16/10/09 06:23 AM

Quote:

F&G now is saying grizz populations may be in for some trouble by wolves. Some of the wolves shot this year have been bigger than 150 pounds {I heard one reported near here that went 220 lbs}, and a pack will kill grizzly as has been shown before, particularly small and young ones if they get them bayed and they cannot tree.
=======================

When I hunted brown bear in Alaska--my guide told me that when they were flying one day they noticed a brown running across the tundra with a wolf pack on his heels..said from time to time, one would actually jump on his back while he was running..he would spin, the wolf would go flying off..and the run would begin again..said this lasted for some time until they got into some timber and they lost them..figured he had either killed one of their own or something as they were really after the bears butt...

Personally, here, when I go hiking or bowhunting in Griz country, I have been packing a titanium S&W in 44 mag with 300 gr solid cast bullets..figure the bears (Griz) are considerably smaller here than the Alaska brownies....and would ultimately kill one if needed..have also carried a mossberg 12Ga shotgun loaded with buckshot and slugs..figured that would do the job, and based on what happened this week with the pheasant hunter, really believe it now..

Many entities are really pushing the pepper spray, but my thought is, what happens if you get charged and you are downwind of the bear...so have always stuck to a firearm of one kind or another..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#143794 - 16/10/09 04:02 PM

Good points all, RIPP.

And pepper spray works both ways. It would be too easy to spray yourself in a fight with a bear, especially if the thing had a grip on you and there was any rolling around at all.

I really think the wisdom of a certain Montanan applies to these matters:

"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope!"

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #143798 - 16/10/09 08:08 PM

I had a fishing guide in Yellowstone once who had to carry bear spray. He said that he didn't trust it and based on the experience of others he planned to carry a .44 something (I know squat about pistols) that might accidentally get lost at the bottom of the Yellowstone river if ever called upon!

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #143808 - 16/10/09 11:13 PM

This guy would probably change the camera for a gun next time.

bear

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: 450_366]
      #143811 - 16/10/09 11:51 PM

Quote:

This guy would probably change the camera for a gun next time.

bear

Don't think that bear was REAL serious..when provoked or if they want to kill something..they are amazingly fast for their size---there is NO human that can outrun a bear..lucky camera man..very lucky...

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#143812 - 16/10/09 11:52 PM

Quote:

"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope!"

Ripp

--------------------

AkMike
.416 member

Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #143818 - 17/10/09 03:09 AM

IMO, and that of others.. A pistol should have a very short barrel if used for bears.

5 for the bear and save one for your self. The shorter the barrel will make it faster getting it in your mouth after that.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: PBR]
      #143821 - 17/10/09 04:24 AM

Quote:

]

I do question how a bear starts at a dead run from 20 yards away, you turn around, and still able to get a pistol out of a holster firing multiple shots from a very powerfull revolver (though from the hip). He's either the luckiest man alive...or he's lying.

Although the story may be perfectly true, I have an uneasy feeling about it.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: 500grains]
      #143837 - 17/10/09 12:48 PM

I agree.

As RIPP said at the beginning, who knows how legit the details are.

And sort-of, who cares, as to me it is a good conversation starter.

I do not doubt for a moment that things like this have occured. One needs only remember that it takes but a mere nick of the CNS to stop anything now-now anyhow and after that you can kill a grizzly with a Swiss Army Knife. So it COULD have occured, tho the Gunfight at the OK Corral part about jerking the gun out and stopping a bear at 20 yards is a bit much. Poetic license maybe. I mean, a drunk tree-planter with a dirt-dulled hoedad would have a pretty good chance on me from behind at that distance even if I had the sixgun out and was rubbing the leather scraping off the front sight when he started, and I'm not too bad with a pistol.

As for the previous comments, I was hunting bear before the hound ban years ago near Wauconda, Washington and we crested a ridge in the beatup Toyota and spotted a sow and a cinnamon and a black cub and were all elbows and earlobes getting out of the rig, dogs going berserk in the box. We left them and ran up to see the bearz. Mom split and babies climbed two trees, after which we stood and jawed for a second about how nice the brown one was. We didn't know that Mom was just below the slope and that was proven when she came back over at full speed to give Secretariat in the heyday a run for the money.

She slowed when she saw us and stopped. My pal had lots of experience with bear and he put his arms out like a cross. She stood stock still and from behind I told him quietly I had my rifle on her {a Model 71 .348 Winchester}. He said in a sort-of loud whisper "DON'T SHOOT". I kept the front sight in the center of the peep on her shoulder above her wagging head and...after a few minutes, she turned and mosied down off the ridge.

That was interesting, and to be honest, law or not, if I'd been alone I have plastered the sow if he hadn't been there. But he figured for some reason she'd get over it, and she did.

I shot the black cub and tagged it, too. He liked the cinnamon cub and wanted it to have the best chance to survive. Thus ended my bear season for the year.

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #143848 - 17/10/09 01:58 PM

Cinnamon's are pretty cool aren't they? I had a close encounter with one a few years ago up in the Whistler Bike Park. I was riding one of the trails on the lower mountain having a good time. All of the sudden I spot an animal going down the trial in front of me. I thought, "What is a dog doing in the Bike Park, they are not allowed in the Park?" Everything clicked into place and I hit the brakes, I came within 15ft of running into the back end of a big cinnamon. The bear figured it was a good time to get off the trail.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Re: Charging Brown Bear in Alaska [Re: gryphon]
      #145309 - 07/11/09 07:55 AM

Oh, I don't know about shooting the dogs.

My dogs and I have a deal. They handle everything up to the size of geese. Anything larger than that is my responsibility.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8375

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com