Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 4 Bore Ball Size

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
billeastern
.275 member

Reged: 28/11/08
Loc: New York
4 Bore Ball Size
      #119616 - 28/11/08 03:48 AM

Hello Gents:

Happy Thanksgiving! I am new to this forum and to muzzleloading but first off let me thank everyone here for the tremendous wealth of information you all provide. I have been pouring through these forums for some time now while contemplating a project and the knowledge base here is amazing. Having said that I will approach this as all new guys do - with some questions, which I hope you might be able to help me with. I have been shooting for almost 20 years now - everything from 22LR to 500 Nitro. Always CF. About a year ago I got bitten with the ML blackpowder ball gun bug and began reading through all the old books by Finaughty, Selous, Baker, Sanderson, etc. which as you all probably know only makes the bug bite harder. So about a month ago I engaged a well known shop to build me a 4 bore ML. The dimensions are as follows:

Bore mics at approx 1.015
32" barrel 1-3/4 - 1-1/2 taper octagon
Rifled for fast ball shooting 1:144 twist
Percussion RH
Classic Manton Stock

Those are the specs and since I am having the gun built for me figured it would be fun to do some research on my own about balls, bullets, powder, etc. Guess I just enjoy educating myself before I go into something. So here goes:

1. Was planning on shooting patched round balls - what size ball/patch combo would you recommend for that bore size? What would the ball probably weigh?
2. Would you recommend a wad or nitro card with this gun?
3. What powder charge do you recommend? Seems from what I have read 12 to 16 drams ffg would be appropriate and hard hitting on both ends :-). Any particular brand you would recommend?
4. Finally, I really wanted to shoot balls with the gun, hence the rifling but on the off chance I ever wanted to shoot a conical would that be possible with this barrel? Any reco re: conical size, diameter, etc? I believe I would need to know the groove depth to figure this one out. Saw some interesting very short moulds on NEI site that are almost square and thought might work if pushed fast enough.

I realize this is a bunch of q's and I will also ask my smith when the time comes but I really enjoy educating myself. Apologize for the many amateurish questions and thanks in advance for any advice! If this post would be better suited to "Paradox and Bore Guns" forum please let me know.

Again, have a happy Thanksgiving and thanks for this informative forum.

Best,

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
Re: 4 Bore Ball Size [Re: billeastern]
      #122855 - 02/01/09 05:02 PM

You can try over powder wads but I would not bother. More likely to hurt accuracy than help. Need shallow grooves too. Over .010" deep is a waste of time. I would prefer 10-12 grooves and very narrow lands for this work.
People in the past, like Samuel Baker, learned the hard way that conicals REDUCE effectiveness of most MLs. He did not think that conicals were suitable for dangerous game.

Baker's writing in the "Field" magazine MArch 23rd, 1861 is quoted in "The Sporting Rifle and its Projectiles" by Forsythe.
" I strongly vote against conical balls for dangerous game; they make too neat a wound, and are very apt to glance on striking bone."
He then details having a 4 ounce conical mould made for his 21 pound rifle that normally used a 3 ounce belted ball and 12 drams of powder. A rifle he said "...never failed to floor a charging elephant"... "...instead of rendering it more invincible, it entirely destroyed its efficacy, and brought me to such scrapes that I at length gave up the conical ball as useless."
Shoot well hardened round balls w-w or heat treated w-w, this is why you need very narrow lands. You don't need or want a conical with a rifle of this ball weight.

Also see Greener's "Gunnery in 1858" pg 404 (again from Forsythe). He details the conical's "problems" as well. This time in relation to people shooting seals.

Dan

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: 4 Bore Ball Size [Re: Dphariss]
      #122859 - 02/01/09 06:30 PM

Forgive my ignorance in these matters but am I wrong in thinking a belted lead ball must have much less 'sectional density' even than the paltry amount expected of a sphere? If not, why did Baker's ball for a 4-bore only weigh three ounces and not four - or is this a matter of patches reducing diameter? I suppose the jagged belt made a ragged hole but I seem to recall that during the American Civil War it was thought conical projectiles did more damage to human flesh than traditional balls.

Maybe Baker revised his ideas after using conical bullets in the .577 express, which he extolled as very suitable for (at least some) dangerous game?

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 4 Bore Ball Size [Re: Paul]
      #122883 - 03/01/09 07:53 AM

Paul - I hope I can address your questions.

Baker was talking about the difference in effectiveness between conicals and round ball in the large bores.
: He tried a short conical in his 'devil stopper', which was enough slower due ot increased drag and weight, and most likely pointy due to being a minnie-type that it reduced effectiveness to produce dangerous conditions for him. 4's usually shot 5 bore balls, etc, etc. I think the gun he was referring to, might have been closer to about 5 1/2 bore, considering the belt increases weight of the round ball for a given bore size. Muzzleloaders are measured by bore size, not groove diameter as in our modern breechloading guns. This method of measuring continued for some time, hense the .256 and .276 Mauser's which were chambered in England.(rather than 6.5 and 7mm as we call them)

The Surgeon General at the Crimean War noted that: conicals (minies) made 'neat' (minor) wounds, and 'turned' when striking bones and 'coursed'(traveled) through the soft parts of the body - whereas - wounds made " by the 'common' round ball instead of turning, smashed the bones asunder creating most grevious wounds" quote might not be exact. Sounds was if the Round Ball might be a better hunting projectile to me. Wounding is a prime nexcessity for military functions as mucha as killing - indeed, it is generally preferred as a wounded may requires at least one more taken from the battle to carry him medical assistance.

Paul - I don't know where you got the idea that minnies were more 'effective' than round balls during the civil war - Note the Surgeon General's notes. Now, the 'idea' may come from the fact that minnies possess longer hitting range and are easier to load in a fouled rifle barrel, but those are their only real advantages. Rapid loading was very important. Most of the round ball guns in use during the Civil war were left-over .69 Smoothbore Muskets, which loaded no more quickly than minnies. For most part the smoothbored .69's used buck and ball cartridges. ie" one .65" ball and 3 .36" balls. Those soliders hit by the grossly undersized but immensly effective .65" ball were usually 'hors de combat', however the buck shot did not make large wounds. The normal round ball paper ctg. in military use at that time carried 135gr. of fine rifle powder. Too - their accuracy range was reduced to approximately 50-75 yards for the smoothbores including possible hits by the buckshot. Next to useless when the enemy is 100 yards or more away.

The .577 BPE was the first conical rifing weapon that gave sufficient penetration and killing power with less recoil than the big 'bore' rifles - therefore it was desirable. Quite simple old Chap.
You see, in the large bores, increasing projectile weight by going to conical reduced the velocity and increased trajectory - both very bad when dealing with dangerous game. Couple to that, the rather pointy concicals of the day (minnies), and you can add ineffectiveness in wound production to the lack of straight penetration and increased trajectory making hitting the 'spot' more difficult. This even proved the case in guns as small as 14 bore, a mere .692" shooting a 15 bore ball. Round balls worked better than conicals - 16 bore (.662" for 17 bore ball) was considered the smallest suitable for dangerous game - in India. 12 bore(.729") in Africa.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Paul
.400 member

Re: 4 Bore Ball Size [Re: DarylS]
      #122913 - 03/01/09 10:02 PM

Daryl,
my info on the effectiveness of round balls v. conical ones in the Civil War may be a bit apocryphal. Now that you press me on it, I think it was Thomas Kenneally's novel 'Confederates'. Respected writer he may be but I guess novelists don't always make great historians. But then maybe it's me that got it back the front.

If I may show my ignorance yet again: by the time trajectory becomes important in hunting shots,
wouldn't superior wind resistance properties in conical bullets generally see them hold up better than round balls? I ask this because I grew up with the truism that high velocity shotgun cartridges don't carry the shot faster for very long, because of wind resistence properties of round balls, but are favoured because they open up the patterns from overly choked gun and allow them to hit more game.

Thanks for your explanations.
- Paul

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #122932 - 04/01/09 05:51 AM

Spot-on- Paul - the conical's superior trajectory happens only at ranges beyond normal hunting ranges. Out to about 150 yards - even 190 yards, a properly 'driven' round ball is flatter shooting than a concial of the normal type - minnie (or greatly elongated - wouldn't matter). Yes the bullet is better at resisting the wind due to it's superior ballistic shape - it is just inferior for hunting in muzzleloading rifles is all.

Round balls slow down more quickly than conicals - yes. BUT - they are driven at vastly higher speeds than conicals from the same bore and still possess enough velocity to kill better than concials within normal hunting ranges.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

billeastern
.275 member

Reged: 28/11/08
Loc: New York
Re: 4 Bore Ball Size [Re: DarylS]
      #122958 - 04/01/09 02:19 PM

Dan,

The grooves are nice and shallow - .009. Will be shooting 1" round ball with this gun, which cast around 3.45 oz in pure lead. Done a ton of reading/research and received a tremendous amount of help from people on the web (especially Daryl) since my posting and realize hardened RBs are way to go with this bore size in a ML. Selous, Baker, Forsyth, Greener, Finaughty, GP Sanderson, Swayne, Russell all used hardened RBs with their 4 bores and considered them to be rather effective ;-). As these guys are without doubt the most experienced of the big bore gun users it certainly proves a point. Interesting that most of the breech loaders used RBs as well in 4 bore.

Paul, I had the same questions about ball size/weight too but as Daryl said most "4 bores" shoot projectiles ranging from .935 to .975 (5 bore), despite the fact that 4 bore is correct at 1.052. Ross Seyfried says that 1" + bores are actually very rarely encountered in an article about them. 4 Bore is more of a concept than an actual size it seems.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get the gone. Going to start off slow with charge...

Paul
.400 member

Re: 4 Bore Ball Size [Re: billeastern]
      #122970 - 04/01/09 08:51 PM

Thanks Guys,
Your comment about the effectiveness of RBs at hunting ranges, Daryl reminds me of the issue of boat-tail bullets. An old Aussie shooting writer maintained boattails gave no benefit until the velocity had dropped below mach I, but did promote throat erosion through young gas.

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #123070 - 05/01/09 09:37 PM

Just as interesting trivia, as ball size goes up, sectional density improves. Once you get just above a 2-bore, the SD exceeds .3. Not exactly practical, but rather an illistration that sd is not the end-all for picking a good bullet.

Also FYI, the formula for round balls is SD = 0.215 x diameter. The exponents, pi, etc cancel out.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3415

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com