Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Front sights ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
Front sights ?
      #161081 - 27/05/10 07:42 PM

Need peoples thoughts on front sights for the upcomming 9x57 project. Rear sight is a ghost ring apeture.

I had a look at numerous Recknagel stuff and have narrowed it down to either a flat blade "sourdough" type or red translucent flat blade (although might still have a play with the red dot as well)

My main problem is choosing between the banded and non banded options. Basically since this will be a fairly slim barrel, say 15-16mm diameter at the muzzle, I find the banded ones to look a bit too bulky. They look great on the big bore stuff but I think the simple non banded ramp looks better.

Are the banded ones simple silver solder on or are they screwed as well? Can the non banded ones not be screwed in place and just rely on solder?

Finally, what are peoples thoughts on the Recknagel Masterpiece range compared to their interchangleble range (the ones that the inserts can be finely adjusted for height)?

George

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Front sights ? [Re: GK]
      #161096 - 27/05/10 11:35 PM

Beads and apertures go together better than blades and apertures in my shooting experience.

If the rear face of the bead is a flat surface, ie: not having rounded corners, and it lays on about a 60 degree angle, it will catch and hold light making it the very best for shooting animals in the open or bush.

Blades like the sourdough can be good, but work better with V or U notch rear sights - which can disappear in deep shaded bush.

The bead front sight on this rifle is as described and picks up any available light, no matter how dim, and shines like a beacon. Due to the flat rear face, it doesn't produce errors in elevation and windage from light reflecting on the sides, as a rounded bead does.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (27/05/10 11:41 PM)

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
Re: Front sights ? [Re: DarylS]
      #161128 - 28/05/10 12:05 PM

IMHO, Blade front sights are fine for paper as they give definite edges to use for accurate shooting. I like a white or silver bead front sight for hunting as they are faster (for me) to pickup against a dark colored animal.

I'd like to try the XS sight with the white line up the center of the front blade but I don't feel like disrupting the sights on any of my present rifles to find out if I like it or not.

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: Front sights ? [Re: Rick_R]
      #161136 - 28/05/10 05:21 PM

Have you considered the Willaims ramped foresights?

The come in differeing widths and heights and either screw on or sweat on types. It was the Willaims ramps that Parker-hale used on their rifles and the later BSA ones like the CF2 also used Williams foresights. Plenty of range in blade heights an bead size too. ................ Just a thought.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Rule303
.450 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Front sights ? [Re: Brithunter]
      #162424 - 20/06/10 05:11 PM

GK a bit late with a response I know. I have just put a Recknagel red fibre optic dot on my CZ550 in 416 Rigby as well as an NECG aperture sight. The two work well together. The reason I went this way was the smaller beads are harder for my eyes to pick up quickly. The fibre optic I pick up very quickly.

Cheers
Greg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3246

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com