Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .404 BBL Wt. Question. Jeffery Project

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Sauercollector
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/10
Loc: PacNW
.404 BBL Wt. Question. Jeffery Project
      #197861 - 27/12/11 02:57 AM

Not sure where to post this question so I will try it here. Looking for member feedback on the wt of a recently rec'd .404 Jeffery bbl. The BBL in question is a Krieger Chrome-Moly #5 contour (bull sporter)at 26 in length. BBL wt as rec'd is 3.5 lbs on the money. The estimated finished wt as listed on their website is noted at approx 4 lb. For those that have experience with custom big bore rifle projects, my question is if this bbl will be too light in wt for a .404 Jeffery bolt gun with a desired finish wt of between 9.5 lbs to 10lbs? (less scope) BBL is unthreaded and I expect finish length to be 24 inches (it will get lighter!)

Briefly the project is being built on a pre WW1 model 98 Mauser factory Single Square Bridge, with the German set trigger set up. (two triggers-not sure if I will retain this configuration). Bottom metal and follower has been purchased from aftermarket supplier to allow a four down configuraion. Project is strictly in pieces and is currently in the "component gathering" mode. Anyway your feed back on the question above is requested. Thanks in advance, Sauercollector/Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: .404 BBL Wt. Question. Jeffery Project [Re: Sauercollector]
      #197867 - 27/12/11 05:35 AM

Much depends on stock wood and design. Bastone will add weight while black walnut will make it light imho.

I think you'll have to go very heavy on the wood (Bastone) to make your iron sight weight.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
      #197874 - 27/12/11 07:05 AM

Quote:

The BBL in question is a Krieger Chrome-Moly #5 contour (bull sporter)at 26 in length. BBL wt as rec'd is 3.5 lbs on the money. The estimated finished wt as listed on their website is noted at approx 4 lb.

That weight difference is probably on account of most contour weights being determined using a 30cal hole through the center. It sounds to me as if you'll come up either a bit light or at your minimum weight.
Cheers...
Con

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: .404 BBL Wt. Question. Jeffery Project [Re: Con]
      #197898 - 27/12/11 01:29 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Jeff, I have a FN Browning action based rifle, in .404 Jeffery.

I'll be out in the "Fun Shop" shortly, I'll get it out and weigh it for you and reply shortly!
I see your email address is available so I will send a brief description (and images) of how this .404 came into being! It will have some info in the attachment, that may be of help.

So keep and eye out for an email from me (JB) with; From Homer "FN Browning RT Waghorn 404 Jeffery Rifle" in the Subject column!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Sauercollector
.224 member

Re: .404 BBL Wt. Question. Jeffery Project [Re: Homer]
      #197945 - 28/12/11 04:23 AM

Hi Homer and all...thanks for your emails and for your posted replys. I weighed some of the other components that I have on hand. The action weighs in at 3.5 lbs. And I weighed a Ruger 77 '06 stock just to get a rough idea of a stock weight..anyway 2 lbs exactly. So bbl wt at 3.5, Action wt at 3.5 and stock at 2.0 lbs brings component wts to more or less 9.0 lbs (sans scope). chosen Stock blank is dense turkish so it will likely be a bit heavier than blk walnut when finished. Still wish I had another 6-8 oz or so of wt. I would not classify myself as recoil shy but I do shoot several 9,3 x 74R double rifles and at 9.0 lbs each (with out pads) I am "done" shooting these after about a dozen rounds. On another note, I recived my used Swarvoski Habich 1.5 fixed power scope today from Europe. (purchased at auction) Best Christmas present I could have gotton myself this year!. However it is 1.0 inch tube and not 30mm like I need. As homer would say....DOH! No worries though. Got plenty of drillings and such I can mate it to. I'm going to contact Krieger this week and see what they tell me about a possible replacement bbl. Not holding out much hope but you never know. thanks and best, Sauercollector/Jeff

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
      #197964 - 28/12/11 08:06 AM

Adding weight is much easier than taking weight off once the rifle is complete. Why not inlet some lead weights into the forend or stock butt? Get the perfect weight and perfect balance by adjusting to suit your preferences?
Cheers...
Con

DArcyEchols
.224 member

Reged: 06/08/11
Loc: Northern Utah USA
      #197979 - 28/12/11 02:44 PM

We have put together a couple 404's with Krieger Barrels. However we use our own contour that tapers .012 per inch. We have found that a 24" barrel with a muzzle OD of .715 -.720 works well for balance and point-ability with a Mod-70 that is scoped with or without sights . Loaded with 5 rounds, a scope and our Legend Fiberglass stock the rifle will hit the scale at 9lbs 14oz to 10lbs. Balance, portability and handling characteristics is excellent. I would think a Krieger #5 would be fine with a muzzle OD of around .750

Sauercollector
.224 member

Re: .404 BBL Wt. Question. Jeffery Project [Re: DArcyEchols]
      #198086 - 30/12/11 02:19 AM

Hi again all. Okay I have decided to stay with the Krieger #5 bbl for the 404 project. After hearing from DArcy Echols, Homer down under and several others and measuring the bbl at a 24 inch length (measures .710 dia)I'm now convinced the bbl wt for this project will be just fine. A bit new to this custom stuff so this project may take a while to complete. Also have a couple of other 'irons' (other projects) in the fire as well that am moving forward with so my attentions will be somewhat divided. will try to post photos of the 404 when I am able. Thanks again to one and all! Jeff/Sauercollector

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4160

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com