Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New (to me) Whitworth

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
New (to me) Whitworth
      #160540 - 16/05/10 11:55 AM

I recently went to York PA to visit the inlaws. While there I made it to a gunshow with the intent on picking up some reloading supplies, looking at some full auto stuff and generally just spending a day with like minded folks.

Until I found this sitting on a table looking like it wanted someone to take it home:

Have any of you learned gents ever seen a Whitworth with a short forend like this or did someone bob it at some point in the past? The checkering looks like it "belongs" on the forend but I'm confused.
The express sight apparently disappeared before the dealer I bought it from obtained the rifle.

So far I've only shot it on paper at 50 yards but it will keep three rounds in a group you can cover with your thumb. I believe I like this little rifle.

And finally, does anyone know what the button on the front of the Redfield sight does?

Thanks for looking guys.

Edited by Rick_R (16/05/10 01:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: Rick_R]
      #160545 - 16/05/10 03:19 PM

Nice find Rick , a classic style sporter ,I like the overall look of your rifle . What caliber is it?

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: darwinmauser]
      #160546 - 16/05/10 03:27 PM

Hi Rick R,

Nice find indeed, rifle has nice grain in the stock, well done.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #160549 - 16/05/10 05:38 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Nice rifle Rick R!

An old mate of mine (Arthur C) had two Whitworth Rifles both in .458 Win Mag (for Sambar Deer). If I remember correctly, they were both built on Mk X M98 type actions (Zastava) and all the metal work was highly polished. The name Whitworth was highlighted in gold paint(?)on the receiver.
Sorry but I can't remember anything about the stocks and express sights, to be of much assistance to you!
The button on the Redfield sight, looks to be a retainer/release, to make elevation adjustments?

So Rick, tell us a bit more about this rifle, like caliber etc.

HooRoo
From
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rick_R
.300 member

Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: Homer]
      #160560 - 17/05/10 02:40 AM

Sorry about leaving out the vital statistics (that's what I get for posting when the little woman and I are having a few brewskies).

The rifle is chambered for .375 H&H. It has a Whitworth rollmark on the front action ring and a Whitworth marked recoil pad. There are several proof marks and .375 H&H Magnum caliber designation on the barrel and action along the woodline but it doesn't have the British "tonnes per []" " or "Whitworth Manchester" roll mark on the barrel. It does have an extra recoil lug on the barrel and it's bedded with some type of black bedding material.

It is built on a standard length Yugo action with a recess cut at the 12:00 position to assist with loading magnum length cartridges. Overall weight is about 8# and recoil isn't bad probably due to the stock design.

I've pushed that silly button and pried up, down, and out with no joy. I know it does something but it doesn't seem to be related to sight adjustments. I'm hoping it detaches the sight so I can mount a scope and see how this baby really shoots.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #160566 - 17/05/10 03:20 AM

The button is used to remove the sight from its base. You press it in and hold it, while pulling upward on the moveable "L" shaped part which includes the adjustment knobs and aperture.

If the sight has not been removed in some time, it probably needs a good dousing in penetrating oil to loosen it up.

The button releases the threaded portion of the elevating stem from the base. The same result can be obtained by simply turning the elevation knob until it reaches the end of the threaded portion. The button merely allows the upper part of the sight to be removed and replaced without turning the elevation knob. If you note the position of the sight on the elevation scale, the sight can then be returned to its original setting.

I wouldn't discard the sight out of hand. Once you get used to it, you may find that you can shoot groups nearly as tight with it as you can with a scope. (You can dispense with the screw in aperture for hunting purposes).

How much did you have to pay for this diamond in the rough, if you don't mind telling?

Rick_R
.300 member

Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: xausa]
      #160568 - 17/05/10 03:56 AM

Xausa,

Thanks, I didn't want to use too much force in any one direction until I found out what I was doin'.

I like using iron sighted rifles and this one is very handy as is, if I do put a scope on it for load development it probably won't stay long.

You should have seen our PH's face last year when my wife and I showed up in RSA with two rifles, no scopes. He actually asked me "do you own a rifle with a scope?". We worked a little harder and had a little more fun.

I paid $800 for the rifle and a box of Federal 270gr ammo. Now the expensive part is the rifle and I want to go back to Africa.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #160569 - 17/05/10 04:14 AM

It just so happens that I have a set of those express sights here..
BUT they're still screwed down to my 375 and not available..
IMO this is a great rifle and you're going to be happy with what you've got. I do have QD pivots and a Leupold 1.5X5 on mine.

IIRC EAA picked up the Zastava line after Remmy dropped it so you possible might find replacement sights there or at Numrich.

Edit; Jeff's Outfitters has a set of QD pivot mounts for $99 that appear to be good. I just installed them on another Interarms rifle but I haven't shot it yet to see if it'll return to zero as they should.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Edited by AkMike (17/05/10 04:34 AM)

Rick_R
.300 member

Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: AkMike]
      #160603 - 17/05/10 01:53 PM

Mike,

You got any pictures of that sight (and the rifle it's attached to)?

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #160604 - 17/05/10 04:21 PM

Mike

I see there is a scope base mount screw just in front of the aperture sight and I'm assuming there will be a couple drilled and tapped into the receiver. If you use a Weaver bridge mount (or other low profile brand) you should be able to mount a scope while leaving your aperture sight in place as a vee type Weaver bridge mount will allow you to sight thru the base when the scope is removed.

One screw attaching the base at the rear will be adequate. I have used a similar set up on my Oberdorf Mauser 404 when setting up a base from the receiver to the rear of the Safari sight by using a single screw for the Weaver base at that point. (extended eye relief scope). Your Whitworth bolt handle is set up for a scope and with rings to clear the aperture sight you will have the best of both worlds.

I would die for an aperture like you have but still like the option of a scope too.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: eagle27]
      #160623 - 18/05/10 01:23 AM

The recievers are drilled and tapped for the standard Mauser
pattern. Mounting scopes and bases is no problem.
Rick, if you PM me you email I'll take a couple of pics and send them to you. I haven't been able to post pics here . LOL, I'm not that computer savvy yet.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #160647 - 18/05/10 07:04 PM

Quote:

=

Very nice find. I have never seen one with a short forend like that, but I like it!

Rick_R
.300 member

Re: New (to me) Whitworth [Re: 500grains]
      #160665 - 19/05/10 04:22 AM

Quote:

Very nice find. I have never seen one with a short forend like that, but I like it!

500Grains

Thanks.
I'm having thoughts (other than those related to the gal in your signature) that if I ever find a second rifle like this one I'll have it rebarreled to .300 H&H and then just go hunting.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6467

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com