Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: odd mauser carbine in south-west

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
odd mauser carbine in south-west
      #384690 - 06/05/24 03:14 AM

its an interesting pic form german south-west africa between 1900 and 1914. the rear sight showing an german military long Gewehr 98 but the rifle was obviously shorten to carbine length but still having the typical long Gewehr look, maybe this was done because the muzzle area was damaged or something cause a bulge in the barrel. than the rifle got another non military bolt with a civilian spoon handle.

could be this rifle was put together with different parts to make a cheap rifle of low quality for sale in the colonies.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: odd mauser carbine in south-west [Re: lancaster]
      #384700 - 06/05/24 10:23 PM

Neither „put together“ nor shortened, but a stillborn German Karabiner 98. The story may be found in Dieter Storz’s book “Gewehr & Karabiner 98” After the infantry got the new long Gewehr 98, there was still the need to replace the short Karabiner 88 of the cavalry and the same size Gew 91 of artillery and special troops with modern actioned guns. The Erfurt arsenal was ordered to make prototypes and trial runs. At first they made versions without bayonet lugs for the cavalry and others with the hardware for atillry and others. Soon they settled on a universal version, the Einheitskarabiner 98. All these carbines retained the short, 45 cm = 18” barrel and the flat bolt handle of the Karabiner 88, but were fitted with the up-to-date Langevisier. Several thousand were made for troop trials that were to run until 1905. Like the early Gewehr 98, these carbines were meant to use the original Patrone 88 with the long 227 gr round nose, low velocity bullet. But in 1903 the new, high velocity S cartridge with the 154 gr Spitz = pointed bullet was introduced. Rechambering the carbines to take the new standard load was no problem, but the muzzle blast of the new load from the short barrel was unbearable, especially when several soldiers in a line fired them. In 1905 the idea of a short carbine was canceled and development leading to the 24” barreled Karabiner 98 AZ of WW1 started. The remaining trials carbines were sent to the German colonies to arm police forces. In 1913 the South-West African Schutztruppe reported more than 200 such carbines still in stock, but most of them rate “unserviceable”. Here is a photo of such a carbine from Storz’s book:

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: odd mauser carbine in south-west [Re: kuduae]
      #384703 - 07/05/24 01:10 AM

Axel,
Another well researched description with photographs of an unusual German rifle. Thanks.

--------------------
RB

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: odd mauser carbine in south-west [Re: 85lc]
      #384706 - 07/05/24 02:40 AM

thanks axel, never see this before
very odd looking with the lange Visier rear sight. no wonder it was no success, so strange it looks.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: odd mauser carbine in south-west [Re: lancaster]
      #384710 - 07/05/24 06:01 AM

Imagine the muzzle blast - it would have been horrendous! That's why I preferably like 26"barrels.
Thanks for the great History kuduae, you have an amazing repertoire of firearm knowledge!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: odd mauser carbine in south-west [Re: 93x64mm]
      #384712 - 07/05/24 07:15 AM

I would suggest the muzzle blast while loud, is not THAT bad. I've had belted magnums with 22" on down to 19" bl. Those are loud.
My .458 2" used to put out a 3" diameter fireball with it's load of 68gr. H335 and a 400gr., Barnes, yet it had a 22" bl.
I would just about light up a 20 acre logging slash when fired in the dark.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: odd mauser carbine in south-west [Re: DarylS]
      #384802 - 13/05/24 09:51 AM

some early sporters have the same style bolt knob ...Paul

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 408

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com