Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Markings on pre-WW2 Mannlicher Schoenauers’ receiver rings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Markings on pre-WW2 Mannlicher Schoenauers’ receiver rings
      #272104 - 25/10/15 06:51 AM

Dear All
I have a question about markings on pre-WW2 Mannlicher Schoenauers’ receiver rings:
- I have found models 1903, 1905, 1908 and 1910 with both markings “Patent Mannlicher Schoenauer – Model 19XY“ ( I own a M1908 proofed in 1919 in Vienna with such a marking) and “Made in Austria – Patent Mannlicher Schoenauer – Model 19XY”. Low serial numbers always display the marking “Patent Mannlicher Schoenauer – Model 19XY” and the more important the serial number is, the more chances we have to find this marking starting with “Made in Austria”.
- I have until now only seen models 1924 with markings starting with “Made in Austria”.

Does any of you know from which year pre-WW2 Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles’ receiver rings were compulsorily marked with “Made in Austria”? I sometimes wonder whether this decision was not triggered by the British decision to have ‘Not English made’ engraved from 1925 on all rifles not produced in the United Kingdom?
Thank you in advance for any information that you may share.
Regards.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jorgen
.224 member

Reged: 16/09/13
Loc: Denmark
Mannlicher Schönauer [Re: Louis]
      #272131 - 25/10/15 08:53 PM

You have PM. Jorgen

Louis
.375 member

Re: Mannlicher Schönauer [Re: Jorgen]
      #272132 - 25/10/15 09:06 PM

Jorgen. Thank you for your reply but I don't understand what you mean by 'You have PM'? Regards. Louis

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Mannlicher Schönauer [Re: Louis]
      #272141 - 26/10/15 12:11 AM

Though the words "Made in XXX" were prescribed by the British 1887 Merchandize Marks Act for all goods to be imported into the British empire, the conspicious "Made in Austria" marking appeared on the receiver ring of Mannlicher – Schoenauers in the 1920s only. IMHO this may be explained by the results of WW1. Up to WW1 the multinational Austro – Hungarian empire of the Habsburg Monarchy was officialy named " The Kingdoms and Lands Represented in the Imperial Council and the Lands of the Holy Hungarian Crown of St. Stephen". Obviously far too cumbersome to be marked on a receiver ring. Even "Made in Austro – Hungary" would have covered more space than availble. "Oesterreich = Austria" was the prescribed name for the country by the St.Germain "Peace Treaty" of 1920. Only from then on "Made in Austria" made sense.
But I doubt there was a clear cut date, as to models and serial numbers, when the phrase was added. The Steyr factory was not very consistent with their receiver markings. Already marked older receivers were used up alongside new marked ones, just like round and capped pistol gripped stocks. Sometimes even older marking stamps were used, maybe accidentially. I own a Mannlicher – Schoenauer rifle proofed in 1957. Clearly a post-1952 "Magnum" action without clip guide, but with a low bolt handle and additional side safety. The receiver ring is marked "Mod. 1950 / Kal.6,5x68"! Similar things happened at Mauser, Oberndorf too. I have a B Mauser, datable to 1930. The receiver is still marked with the old "Waffenfabrik Mauser" name, while the barrel rib has the new "Mauser Werke " inscription.

Louis
.375 member

Re: Mannlicher Schönauer [Re: kuduae]
      #272151 - 26/10/15 01:44 AM

Kuduae. Thank you very much for this information. Regards. Louis

--------------------

Jorgen
.224 member

Reged: 16/09/13
Loc: Denmark
Re: Mannlicher Schönauer [Re: Louis]
      #272236 - 27/10/15 09:16 PM

Private Messangs. Clik = My Home and Messang Box. Regards Jorgen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1773

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com