Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tell us about your dog(s)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Tell us about your dog(s)
      #14888 - 18/05/04 01:01 AM

Most of us have a dog or two that we use for our hunting. I love going out into the field with my GSP and enjoy watching him enjoy himslelf as much as the hunt itself.

Tell us what breed of hunting dog you have and how you use them for hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: NitroX]
      #14970 - 19/05/04 10:16 AM

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, the first time he saw a pig he was 7 years old. He took off after it and about 5 minutes later he came back with a big grin on his face and no pig!No blood! I reckon he was just running next to the pig thinking "This is great!!!" That was also the last time he went hunting. He's just to old. Unfortunatly when he was a pup I didn't have access to any pig areas. I would love to put him over a bitch and get a pup from him before he dies. My next dog will either be another ridgy or a GSP, I would like to train the dog to find game by wind scent and indicate. Then I would sneek up and shoot said game. Its pretty much how we train our work dogs to find the enemy.

Bakes
.375 member

Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: Bakes]
      #15023 - 20/05/04 11:34 AM

Here's a pic of my "other" hunting dog
His name is Cassius and he weighs in at 47kg of nastyness, Thankgod he loves me!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: Bakes]
      #15024 - 20/05/04 12:21 PM

Cassius looks like a fine German Shepherd.

Wasn't Brutus of Julius Caesar named "Brutus Cassius"?

Watch your back!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bakes
.375 member

#15027 - 20/05/04 02:53 PM

I don't know! His old owner named him after Cassius Clay as he was big and aggressive.

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #15028 - 20/05/04 04:11 PM

I have a couple of Epagneul Bretón.
This one is "Hera". She's a great rabbit hunter, and also use to come with me to hunt partridges or doves.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

canada
.275 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Northern Ontario Canada
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: 470Nitro]
      #15053 - 21/05/04 08:43 PM

We use hounds for hunting deer,bear and moose in Ontario. There are areas where dogs are not allowed to run in the province but we are not one of those areas. There are many opinions regarding the use of dogs to run game and it has been debated to death. Presently I use a bull terrier and walker hound cross named Elvis. The terrrier makes him a short runner maybe an hour at most. The walker gives him the nose. I have used bluetick, beagle, walker, plott, black and tan and crosses of each. The type of grounds where you hunt determine the type of dog.
There is nothing like the sound of a hound on a crisp morning.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: canada]
      #15072 - 22/05/04 09:43 AM

Can't figure out to get a pic of my GSP posted

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: bonanza]
      #15098 - 23/05/04 01:51 AM

I have had German Short Hairs and thought the world of them.

But my favorite hunting dog now is Rats!

Rat Terriers that is!!! Great dogs!! Wouldn't have anything else now.

Karla is my main dog. She is small, 11 pounds and terrier tenacious. We had her three years before we got the rest. She is death on any small skurrying animals. If there is a mouse in the house she will get. She is a much better mouser than any cat. When we lived in Montana she loved going after the gophers. That's one laying on the ground in front of her. If there are rock chucks around she will get them for me, even though most are as big as or bigger than her.

Here's Theodore Roosevelt "Teddy". Teddy is my big dog and goes 21 pounds. Teddy loves to chase rabbits. Jack rabbits and their habit of running about 20 yards and turning back to look are his favorite. We have a video tape of Teddy and our other dogs chasing a jack rabbit across a big basin. Of course the Jack is much faster than the dogs. But Teddy keeps after him. The jack does what all jacks do, it makes a big circle and comes back to it's start. It stops and has it's head a hanging. Teddy comes a racing and gets the jack. We estimate the race over a mile. Teddy was dead tired and I let him ride in the truck. 20 minutes later he is back hunting.

The dogs work good as bird flushers but haven't been trained for it. They need to be trained to work close in. Tthey tend to get excited and want to work further and further out as they go.

Olivia is Teddy's mother. She is also a very good hunter. She trys to be the Alpha dog. Teddy accepts her, Karla ignores her. She is fast and won't stop going after the gophers unless you put her in the truck and roll the windows up.

The dogs work fairly well together except a sometimes competiton between Olivia and Karla. The three of them have chased fox and caught them. They have also cornered a badger. I don't encourage them on that.

These dogs are easily trained and only want to please their master. They are good with kids.

Karla with my Grandaughter several years ago.

Teddy

Olivia

Now that we are living in Virginia I have noticed that Teddy and Olivia are good on tree squirrels and will follow the squirrels as they move through the trees. Karla, she chases them up the tree and doesn't see them that well. She is getting old and doesn't move as quick.

Karla is my main dog. When I am in the house she will always be right at my side except in my office. Right now she is in her kennel just outside my office door. The Office floor is linoleum and she doesn't like to lay on it.

I do miss my GSP's. But I have never had better hunting or companion dogs than my rats!!!!

Oh yes they do have one very distinct advantage over my GSP...you can use a smaller shovel for clean-up!!!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Reiter
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/05
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: DoubleD]
      #28944 - 05/04/05 12:30 PM

This is my 1 1/2 years old english pointer called Shaman.
I started training him since he was a little pup and began to go out with him early this year. he´s doing just fine in the field.

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: Reiter]
      #29279 - 10/04/05 08:08 PM

Here's Czar, my 2 year old, 45 kg, Lab. He's becoming real good in retrieving work and, his passion being Roe deer - they're all over the place on my lease, he's quite succesfull in following blood trails.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: André]
      #29284 - 11/04/05 12:49 AM

Some lovely dogs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mooseman
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/05
Loc: BC Canada
      #30329 - 01/05/05 04:58 AM

I have had several but the last 20 years I had DK and used
them a bit for birds but more for tracking wounded bear,
deer and moose. Since that is the main work I have for my
dogs, I got me something more tracking hound oriented.

So at this time I got one DK and two Slovensky Kopov.
Best Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Smile when hunting and show the little once how to!

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
      #30442 - 03/05/05 06:31 PM

In reply to:

Wasn't Brutus of Julius Caesar named "Brutus Cassius"?

No. Cassius was a senator like Brutus and also involved in his murder. Ceasar didn't trust Cassius as he had "a lean and hungry look". Cassius is also a Crocodile in Crocadilyus park I think, that some people think is the real "Sweetheart".

--------------------

CaneCorso
.224 member

Reged: 28/09/05
      #41001 - 08/11/05 05:07 PM

Lucia is a female Cane Corso, about 2.5 years old, 85-90 pounds, that I got from the local canine rescue.

I don't believe she has had formal hunting training, but is death to the local rabbits and coyotes in the river open space behind my house.

Today, she tracked (a scent trail about 100+ feet) a local immigrant that was hiding in the thick river brush. Definately a surprise for all of us when he jumped up from beneath cover!

--------------------
Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem --- It is more cruel to always fear death than to die.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: CaneCorso]
      #41085 - 09/11/05 02:56 PM

I don't believe I'd hop the fence if I saw her in your yard...

How is she with humans or kids?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

CaneCorso
.224 member

Reged: 28/09/05
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: luv2safari]
      #41579 - 15/11/05 02:36 PM

She is actually quite gentle with children, and people in general. She gets along with most dogs pretty good, too. But most of the time she is either sleeping or trying to follow scent trails. Very strong trailing drive.

--------------------
Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem --- It is more cruel to always fear death than to die.

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: CaneCorso]
      #41596 - 15/11/05 05:53 PM

Here are my mutts...

First photo has Ralph (the black one) and Twisto (the white one):

The second photo is Goober, who is rather hard to catch with a camera, this is as close to asleep as he gets:

The third photo is Rudolph, the short sissy indoor dog who never stops barking:

The fourth photo is Yogi, who recently died at age 19...the photo shows him doing what he did for a living...

The fifth and last photo is Zsa Zsa:

There is another one, Gigi, who I've never been able to catch with a camera.

They don't look that nasty but they are guaranteed to chase coyotes into a creek or tank (tank = dam = pond) any time they see one.

Richard

Edit:

forgot to mention most of these are mixed halfbreeds, Red Heeler and the old man Yogi, whatever Yogi was...rgp

Edited by rgp (15/11/05 05:59 PM)

samdunc
.224 member

Reged: 04/06/06
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: rgp]
      #58505 - 08/06/06 10:28 AM

Here are my two dogs Hunter a Gordon

And my English setter Sam

Regards
Dan

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #64273 - 19/10/06 07:26 AM

From the left. Taggie, Winchester (Chester) and Perdita (Purdy). Mum and Her pups. This is now the pups second full season and Taggies 12th. She is arthritic now and I left her behind last week. The look I got was so sad when I got home that I went to the vet and got some medicine for her so that she can go this week. I figure that I would rather that she pass on doing what she loves, than a sad old dog in a basket.

And my beloved and now sadly deceased Chancer. 100 lbs of the finest dog a man could have. Would chase hunt and hold anything. This was him at 14 shortly before his death. I got him at 2 as a rescue dog and was the luckiest man when I did. He was a humerous rogue to the end.

Regards

Swampfox
.275 member

Reged: 19/06/06
Loc: South Germany
      #69360 - 12/01/07 10:09 AM

I own a Weimaraner,but sometimes I think he owns me http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r218/schamispecht/DSCN0138.jpg
He is no 6 years old,a male ,a great hunting partner,a really great crowkiller and duck and fox retriever.He loves his family(and we love him ) and the friends who come in the house,children,and last but not least he love to hunt ...to hunt ...to hunt......................................A great dog,i am proud of him and i enjoy every time we are out for hunting.

--------------------
" As long as there's lead in the air there's hope".

HighlandStalker
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Christchurch, NZ
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: Swampfox]
      #69399 - 13/01/07 05:26 AM

I have a two year old English Springer Spaniel dog. This is his first proper shooting season.His training has been somewhat broken, as I have been working and at Uni in Scotland, my mother has been looking after him and his disipline has been somewhat laxed at tymes. Have had him on pigeon, grouse and pheasants this year and he has shown good hunting ability and his retrieving is coming along nicely although he does have the tendenncy to run in on the shot, I will have to work on that but otherwise I am pleased all things considered.

gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: HighlandStalker]
      #81282 - 25/06/07 01:55 PM

I have 2 14 month old plott hounds and a bluetick/blackmouth cur that I use for hog hunting here in South GA. They are outstanding dogs and I am very proud of them. Just last week we had 2 300lb boars caught and the dogs in the truck by 9:30. That was a blessing because of how hot it is. I had them treeing a coon sprayed with bear scent this week.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #83207 - 29/07/07 02:38 AM

Quote:

Most of us have a dog or two that we use for our hunting. I love going out into the field with my GSP and enjoy watching him enjoy himslelf as much as the hunt itself.

Tell us what breed of hunting dog you have and how you use them for hunting.

I have 2 German Wirehairs which I use for hunting upland game (pheasants, grouse, and partridge) as well as occasionally use them for ducks---they work awesome..

Have had wirehairs for close to 20 years--have literally shot hundreds for birds over them --great breed..

thx
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Tell us about your dog(s) [Re: Ripp]
      #83246 - 30/07/07 01:44 AM

I have an 8 year old Half Lab Half Chesapeake.

Some years we raise pheasants and put them out on the ranch here and of course some get away and have settled in nicely to the area. Not my place, though. They flee the home of their birth and settle into the sections bordering us.

These emigrant pheasants would be the ones not shot or correspondingly not eaten by my dog. He loves the taste of freshly-shot pheasant, particularly the ones he has flushed himself. Part of the reason I try to keep in shape is so I can get to the downed birds just after he finds them. Even a short period of time between his locating the birds and my arrival makes for little to bring home and really, it's nice to have something to bring home after all that walking and shooting.

Aside from the scars all over his face from fights, the small knot of scar tissue on his neck and the destroyed eye duct caused by a bigger dog during one of his youthful indiscetions, an injury that causes the continuous drainage and buildup of a pusslike secretion that looks not unlike a soup dumpling clinging to the bridge of his nose, he is a fine looking dog. That is, except for the big roll of fat that pushes his collar up and the limp he has from a shoulder injury that just won't heal.

He loves people, except for those that come on the place that he doesn't know. He hates dogs except for his fellow compadres that live with him here. He loves them. Actually, love might be the wrong word. I think "hate" might be more appropriate.

Love is more appropriate a word when describing what he thinks about food. Both eating it and of course just standing over it for hours on end showing off to his stable mates.

He is a good dog. He thinks the world of us and we think the world of him.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (30/07/07 01:49 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14688

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com