Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: h&h royal deluxe 500/450 in India

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Lynx
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/04
Loc: Rajasthan, India
h&h royal deluxe 500/450 in India
      #107201 - 11/06/08 04:59 PM

Thought I share this image of a 500/450 which belongs to a friend. My friends grandfather had ordered this rifle from H&H. I have scanned the original print which was taken with a small point & shoot camera, the print quality was poor & contrasty. I am told at one time the family had 7 h&h rifles & shotguns.

This rifle is also illutrated in the h&h catalogue.

Edited by DRarchive (30/07/08 09:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: h&h royal deluxe 500/450 in India [Re: Lynx]
      #107202 - 11/06/08 05:26 PM

That rifle looks exotic. It would have some stories to tell, if only it could speak. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #107204 - 11/06/08 06:40 PM

Lynx

From the engraving and the coat of arms I would deduce that the rifle was made for a Rajpuit Prince or certainly for a Princley state. Justthe appearance of it conjours up a time of romance and ceremony from a long gone golden age of driven big game hunting, possibly from howdahs in the presence of colonial officials and even Kings.

As said in the previous post, if only these guns could talk to us, the tales they could tell. Still it is nice to see it in such superb condition and presumably still in India, glad to note that all such fine guns did not dissapear into Police armouries post 1947 independenc.

It is these types of commissions form the Rajput rulers that ultimately gave rise to the modern form of high art engraving that we see today much of which is more life like than even the photographs of the subject matter. Thank you for posting the pictures, if there is any further history your friend wold be willing to release I am sure there would be much interest in hearing it, me for one!

jonathan

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: h&h royal deluxe 500/450 in India [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #107220 - 12/06/08 01:34 AM

Class, class, class.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #107222 - 12/06/08 02:05 AM

Lynx,
Very beautiful gun. I have a similar Holland however the Crests are different.

I think the above Crest indicates the gun was once owned by one of the Ministers of Hyderabad. If you have any additional info, I would be very interested.

I also am studing the history of Rajasthan and inparticular the Rajputs of Bikaner. Would you know of anyone having knowledge of the family during the the years from 1922 to 1932?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Edited by DRarchive (30/07/08 09:04 PM)

Bighammer
.275 member

Reged: 14/06/05
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #107267 - 12/06/08 03:42 PM

Lynx,

Thanks for sharing such a rare piece. I've no doubt there'd be several other beauties locked away that had seen the heyday of the Raj. Came in contact with a couple of them during my younger days in India. Absolute classics!

Lynx
.224 member

hyderabad crest... [Re: Bighammer]
      #107275 - 12/06/08 08:21 PM

Quote:

I think the above Crest indicates the gun was once owned by one of the Ministers of Hyderabad. If you have any additional info, I would be very interested.

Gatsby,
I spoke to a friend of mine in Hyderabad who collects fine doubles he said "Nawab Luft ud dowlan was a paigah Noble from the Khursheed Jahi Paigah. A nobel man in the Nizams dominions". This friend had the Nawabs 369 Purdey which was in immaculate shape, the crest was in gold.

lynx

gatsby
.375 member

Re: hyderabad crest... [Re: Lynx]
      #107290 - 13/06/08 02:05 AM

Lynx,
Thank you so much for the info. It reinforces some of what I have learned. I think Nawab Dowlan's daughter was married to one of the Nizams son's about the same time the gun was delivered in the 30's. Perhaps he used it in some hunting expedition after the marriage ceremonies were completed.
The gun proportedly came out of India thru the Nizam's collection.

I would love to see some good close-ups of the 500/450 from all angles. Is the gun still in use?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Edited by gatsby (13/06/08 02:07 AM)

Lynx
.224 member

Re: hyderabad crest... [Re: gatsby]
      #107295 - 13/06/08 03:18 AM

Quote:

I would love to see some good close-ups of the 500/450 from all angles. Is the gun still in use

Do not have any more pics of the 500/450, had taken pics of their 375 h&h royal which I cannot find, I had the pleasure of using the 375. The 500/450 has not been used for some time. The owner is planning a safari to africa, hopefully he will be able to travel with the 500/450, nightmare to get permission to travel overseas with your firearms from India.

lynx

gatsby
.375 member

#107326 - 13/06/08 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gatsby,
This friend had the Nawabs 369 Purdey which was in immaculate shape, the crest was in gold.

lynx

You say your friend has a Purdy that belonged to the same minister? Any chance someone may know of any anecdotal information on Nawab Dowlan or old photos etc.

--------------------

Lynx
.224 member

Re: hyderabad crest... [Re: gatsby]
      #107367 - 14/06/08 04:41 AM

Quote:

Any chance someone may know of any anecdotal information on Nawab Dowlan or old photos etc.

Have asked a friend to enquire about the family of the nawab.

lynx

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #107400 - 14/06/08 05:41 PM

Interesting comments above.
I have seen and used rifles that once belonged to Prince Jah of Hyderabad.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Lynx
.224 member

Re: hyderabad crest... [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #107478 - 16/06/08 03:59 AM

Gatsby, received this information.

"Nawab Lutf-ud-Dowla was the younger son of Nawab Zaffer Jung who in turn was the younger son of Nawab Khursheed Jah

Zaffer Jung was responsible for the construction of the Nizamia Observatory.

The Paigah passed from Khurshid jah to Zaffer Jung to Lutf-ud Dowla

Lutf-ud-Dowla served as Minister of the Military Department, Member Executive Council. He headed the Medical Department too in the Nizam's Government. Later the Public Works Department was entrusted to him.

He was an accomplished scholar of Arabic and Persian. He was a keen sportsman and hunter.

He was born 1300 Hijri

Hope this info is useful.

lynx

gatsby
.375 member

#107499 - 16/06/08 09:37 AM

Thank you very much. There are several more avenues to explore within the information you gave. I might be able to put a face on this Minister someday. Thank you.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9089

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com