Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Henry W. Egg BPE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Mississippian
.224 member

Reged: 22/04/06
Loc: Yazoo City, MS
Henry W. Egg BPE
      #97462 - 24/02/08 01:07 PM

Below is the link to my post on AccurateReloading if anyone would not mind viewing and providing a comment. Thank you!

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/261105028

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: Mississippian]
      #97468 - 24/02/08 01:43 PM

What proofs does it have? How do you know it is an Egg? Why do you think it is a 450/400?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Mississippian
.224 member

Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: mickey]
      #97469 - 24/02/08 01:55 PM

"What proofs does it have?"

Did I mention that I am a novice at best when it comes to Doubles? I think another picture would help out here!

"How do you know it is an Egg?"

It had "Henry W. Egg" engraved in 2 or 3 places on the rifle

"Why do you think it is a 450/400?"

Just a guess. What would be some other possibilities in .40 cal?

mickey
.416 member

#97472 - 24/02/08 02:22 PM

There could be many. The reason I asked was because I think Egg was dead before the 450/400 came about.

Take the barrels off and look at the bottom of the barrel flat. Should be some sort of proof marks. Post a picture if you can. If you can't take a picture do a pencil rub and post that.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Mississippian
.224 member

#97474 - 24/02/08 02:29 PM

I will try and get a picture. May be a while before I can run him down! Stay tuned, Thanks for your interest...

Any particular location on the rifle that the serial numbers were engraved?

mickey
.416 member

#97491 - 24/02/08 03:03 PM

Serial numbers move around. Look on the bottom tang. Barrel flats. Barrels themselves under the forearm.

Depending on age it may not have any.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #97655 - 26/02/08 03:31 AM

Quote:

What proofs does it have? How do you know it is an Egg? Why do you think it is a 450/400?

The rifle is very old, indeed, indicated by the wedge holding the forestock, and the fact that the rifle has Damascus barrels, and is a hemmer back action, Jones under lever action. I doubt there will be much in the way of proof marks on the flats. The rifle, if 450/400, is most likely the 450/400 3 /14" Black powder version, and would have been made in about the late 1880s for the coiled brass cartridge. The rifle, from what I can see seems to be in fairly good shape. I have a 20ga/58 Berdan Carbine cape gun that is almost identical to this rifle, but was made in KASSEL,(old spelling) Germany. This rifle should be a no paper work rifle, as it was certainly made before 1898, and factory black powder ammo is no longer available for it.
I would reccomend a chamber cast, and a bore slug, for sure! If everything is as good as it seems to be, this could be a very nice rifle to have, at the right price. The price is dependant on how the cast and slug turns out!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #97656 - 26/02/08 03:39 AM

It does have rebounding locks, which puts it a little later than the forend wedge might imply.

It's definitely a BPE, and I agree it's pre-1899.

There will be black powder proofs. The "V" with crown over if proofed in London and the bore marking that corresponds to .40 caliber, in all likelihood (if it has ".400EX" it's a bit later). I don't have my reference works at hand to say what year the caliber marking was mandated.

I would want a chamber cast before making any judgment about what cartridge it should have. Could be .450/.400 3.25" BPE, but could be something different also.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: CptCurl]
      #97658 - 26/02/08 03:56 AM

I agree CaptCurl, and the dark line down the spine of the butt stock is not a repare,but looks to be magic marker. This the opinion of Kelly (Mississippian) who looked at the rifle first hand. He said he firast thought it was a repare, but on closer examination, it seemed to be simply a magic marker score, for what reason he didn't know.

I Know Mississippian, personally, and he has an eye for perfection, so I trust his assement on the dark mark. As he said he is a novice where double rifles are concerned,and I too would like to see the proofs on this rifle a little closer, as well a check of "on face" condition. This was not a cheap field rifle, when new, as indicated by the engraving, and the DPLPHIN HEAD hammers, and quality of wood used. The rear sight seems to be after market, and I can't see the front sight. I have a feeling the front sight is dovetailed into the rib it's self, rather than on a ramp.

Kelly is a member of the DRSS, and has been shoping for his first double rifle for about a year. If in as good shape as this rifle seems, pending the outcome of the cast, and slug, it would make a fine old rifle to shoot hogs, and deer with!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #97665 - 26/02/08 05:24 AM

Let's hope it checks out ok. It could make a fine DR for the purposes you mention. If it is a .450/.400 3.25" let's just hope it hasn't had a diet of nitro rounds. Those are a bit hard for a rifle such as this to digest.

I just love the back action hammer Jones underlever BPE's. In terms of style, it's hard to think of anything more racey. Others disagree, but I prefer this configuration to the toplever hammer doubles.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: CptCurl]
      #97668 - 26/02/08 07:01 AM

Quote:

I just love the back action hammer Jones underlever BPE's. In terms of style, it's hard to think of anything more racey. Others disagree, but I prefer this configuration to the toplever hammer doubles.

Curl

thats because you got taste

best regards

peter

Mississippian
.224 member

Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: peter]
      #97687 - 26/02/08 01:14 PM

Thanks gentlemen for all the information! My friend got to meet with the owner and get his Phone#. He lives about 80 miles south of me so when I slow down at work I will take a trip and gather some more information and pictures. I would love to have this rifle myself if it checked out but I am saving for a trip to RSA next Nov so I must postpone my Double rifle purchase! Besides, if my buddy gets it he will need help reloading etc so I will still get to play with it! I told him if he seriously wants to try and purchase this rifle to send it to JJ(or whom ever you experts recommend) for a pre-buy inspection and chamber casting.

CptCurl, I agree those underlever rifles have always caught my eye!

Does anyone have any information on Henry W. Egg?

Thank You for sharing your opinions!

keno
.224 member

Reged: 20/05/07
Loc: MS
      #98156 - 03/03/08 04:58 AM

I looked at the Egg myself ( Satruday a week ago) and asked the owner about the caliber. He said he was not certain that it was 450/400. (Sorta nice to see an english double rife, a pretty high grade Darne and a Hubertus stalking rifle at the Jackson, MS gun show.) Needless to say the EGG needs a chamber cast and bore slug....but guessing on the weight of the gun......if it is a 450/400 , it might be the short 450/400 (2 3/8")???? The short ones do go back to 1880. I hope not! I would bet the ranch it is one of the Henry Eggs that was listed on SoldUSA. Compare the photos of the one that sold in the $4,500 range. Note the other EGG listed at the same time was supposed to be 450 bpe 3 1/4 (I think) and its auction estimate was astronomical. Whoever gets the chamber cast...please post. it would be interesting to really know.....!!!

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: peter]
      #98157 - 03/03/08 05:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Curl

thats because you got taste

best regards

peter

Second me on that one..

Mississippian
.224 member

Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: rigbymauser]
      #101733 - 06/04/08 03:56 AM

Update on the Henry Egg. Mayby someone can interpret the proof marks and provide some information on this rifle.

Mississippian
.224 member

#101740 - 06/04/08 04:43 AM

Almost forgot about the mystery line in the stock. If you look closely you can see a faint impression of a line on the left side of the stock as well(about a 1/2" down -/+ from the top).

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #101766 - 06/04/08 11:06 AM

These proofs are listed in "The Gun and its Development" as Gun-makers' Company marks denoting Definitive Proof.
"...the letters "GP" interlaced in a Cypher surmounted by a Crown, and the View Mark being the letter V surmounted by a Crown"

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

fraserdouble
.224 member

Reged: 06/06/06
Loc: Australia
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: Huvius]
      #101819 - 06/04/08 10:54 PM

Mississippian,

Some information on Henry W Egg that may be of interest and assist in dating your double.
Egg, Josef (brother of Durrs) 1780
1816 1 Piccadilly London
1838 sons Charles & Henry trading as Egg & Sons. (they bought the lease and business of Joseh
Manton & Son and advertised as 'successors to J.Manton & Son)
1844 Charles & Henry Egg
1851 Henry Egg
1870-1880 Henry William Egg

It would appear that the business did not exist after 1880.
Henry's uncle's business 'Durs Egg' ceased business in 1875 when it was taken over by Watson.

That is a classic double by a top maker well spotted.
Hope this helps.
Fraser Double

Mississippian
.224 member

Re: Henry W. Egg BPE [Re: fraserdouble]
      #101841 - 07/04/08 02:42 AM

Thank you gentlemen! Your information is appreciated. Now for a chamber cast and bore slugging.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4290

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com