Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkels comments from owners please

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Merkels comments from owners please
      #8788 - 12/02/04 12:40 AM

There has been some comments about Merkels recently and I am looking for some comments from people that have owned or currently own a Merkel.

I know of a few people that are perfectly happy with theirs and some of these people can compare them to their English doubles as well.

I'm looking for comments from people that actually own one or have owned one. Not from comments from competiting rifle makers or what people have seen in gunsmiths for repairs. These may be a factor of course but an owner or an ex-owner is a more direct test.

Good or bad experience, let's have it.

PS Just so the playing field is fair can anyone commenting that does have interests (making, selling, promoting) in other brands please state that upfront. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (12/02/04 03:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: NitroX]
      #8799 - 12/02/04 03:23 AM

I used to have a 470 Merkel a while back. I didn't like the square sights on it and they wou't fit the rifle to your particular measurements. They also won't give you the option of express sights,ie v and bead. The only thing that was ok was that I got good wood with it. After I had replaced the sights, modified the LOP for myself and had the triggers polished a bit, I sold it when somebody wanted one worse than I wanted to keep it. I did find that it shot pretty well though. 6 shots at 50 yds. left-right, would touch almost in one huge ragged hole. At 100 yds., it did 3-4". Not bad for a cheaper double.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #8823 - 12/02/04 10:02 AM

I own one and one of the new models at that. Mine is chambered in .470NE and 100 rounds latter is no worse for the wear. It shoots much better then I expected a double to with this being my first. It will print both barrels at 50yards touching and three groups L&R in one raged hole, this is better then I expected and perfect for my use.

The recent comments IMO are just that comments I have yet to meet a owner who did not love the rifle for what it was, a nice working double in a good caliber for a fair price, not to say there are not any disenfranchised owners simply none I have spoke with in person and I am sure some rifles have had issues as has almost any brand in limited numbers.

This rifle like all rifles IMO has some short comings the most important of which is the sights, a notch and blade and very inadequate for the use of a DG rifle (not that I am by any means a expert in the hunting of DG but to meet the requirements laid out by those who are). I simply had a set of nice express sites installed and my only complaint was resolved. The recoil pad to add LOP made the point just right for me. The engraving if you decide you must have it is worthless until you get into the custom scene some of which are quite nice but double the price of the rifle. The wood is simply nice on my rifle and those I have seen I would not call it exceptional by any means but simply adequate.

As I have said in the past, the dealer I frequent sells many Merkel doubles in a year and stocks a few rifles and over 100+ shotguns at any one time, I have asked and they say soon as the rifles start coming back they will drop the line, it simply has not happened as to date.

I am not one to beat the drum of a product because I own it and if I have issues with the rifle I will be the first to post them, I belive in using my equipment and if it doesn't work it will be resolved buy finding a new home. I am interested in a solid working product to use in the field, though I love a pretty peice just as much as the next man and hope to own a few one day my first double was purchased to hunt Buff plain and simple I feel I have a rifle I can use and not feel bad if it gets the wear and tear a hunting rifle tends to get in the field. That is why I went with a modern rifle of avrage expense and until it proves otherwise I like the merkel for what its worth.

James F. Nixon III

475Guy
.400 member

#8832 - 12/02/04 11:57 AM

Another thing I want to add is this, when I get another double, I'll just go down to So.Cal. to Butch Searcy's shop to get everything I want in one fell swoop. I might even get one that he has in stock.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

kos
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/03
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: 475Guy]
      #9110 - 15/02/04 06:17 PM

i have a Merkel 140-2 which i bought nearly two years ago new ,have not had the chance to use it on game yet .what i like about it is it is mechanically tight and well made ,i think the wood could have been better but its okay .it has a bakelite buttplate which i dont like, and think they should come with a recoil pad from factory.the engraving is okay on both sides, it has 1 elephant each side ,which is alot better than the cape buffaloes i have seen on them that are woeful ,which look like a merino wether with two french croissants stuck to its head.the scroll engraving underneath, i was not happy with ,and looks like somebody who had been to a beerfest on the weekend had done it.i complained to Merkel about this they said they never had any complaints about engraving ever [sure!!!] apart from that iam happy with it ,when i am loaded i will buy a Heym 500 !

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: kos]
      #9121 - 16/02/04 12:00 AM

They purposely leave that ugly plastic butt-plate on so that you can easily have a recoil pad installed.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: 475Guy]
      #9142 - 16/02/04 08:25 AM

Other than the sights I liked them pretty well until I saw the inside of the action, now I don't want one, they are pretty rough for that kind of money and since they have a tech staff that didn't have any better since than to make doubles in 375 and 416 Rigby that cranked up to 60,000 PSI, I decided to shop elsewhere....Just my call...but I settled on the Searcy as the best of the modern guns, by a long shot....

LickiLovac
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/09
Loc: canada
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: atkinson6]
      #151765 - 25/01/10 04:02 PM

i have merkel double rifle 9.3x74r, here in canada i cannot ask for better rifle -all around rifle, from coyote to bear my double is handy,accurate and powerfull,i love double rifles and i think they are best rifles

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: LickiLovac]
      #151870 - 26/01/10 10:22 AM

Quote:

i have merkel double rifle 9.3x74r, here in canada i cannot ask for better rifle -all around rifle, from coyote to bear my double is handy,accurate and powerfull,i love double rifles and i think they are best rifles

Let me first qualify my statements by saying I own, and have owned some of the best, and worse double rifles ever made. Like many here I like the working double rifles, but well made working double rifles. I have some fully engraved examples of both European, and British double rifles, and many of the plain working double rifles and combination guns from some of the best makers, and some very well made examples made by obscure makers in the unknown small shops of Europe. This, I think, like many other on NE, gives me a bit of an insight into what is workable, and what isn’t where double rifles, and combination guns are concerned.

Gentlemen I realize this is an old thread exhumed from a grave long since covered! However, double rifles, well cared for, live a long time, and six years is only a drop in the bucket for a double rifle. I find that, even today, buyers of double rifles seem to be in the dark about the Merkel double rifles for the most part. Even nine years after they were first introduced in the USA at the Dallas Safari Show, at the GSI booth, back in 2001 or so. They caused a lot of talk at that show, and not all of it good. The good talk came from potential buyers. However, those who would compete for the market share Merkel was about to invade, for the most part, generated the bad talk.

First the chamberings including the 375H&H, and the 416Rigby, both rimless, and one potentially a higher pressure round than most thought prudent, in a double rifle. I was in that group, but not for the same reasons. I simply do not like rimless cartridges in a double rifle that may be used for the hunting of dangerous game. However, IMO the reason for the competitor’s comments of Merkel was they couldn’t match the price point of the Merkel. SO, with absolutely nothing more than a short, hands on, examination, the predictions began.
It was predicted these rifles would shoot loose in less than 100 rounds, the 375 H&H would simply blow them apart, the 470NE was the only real choice, but even that would waste this action in short order. Gentlemen, none of these things have come to pass, by 2010. The 500NE has been added, as well as the 450/400NE 3” along with optional ejectors. The barrel sets have gone from Shoe-lump, to Mono-block. The sights have evolved into light gathering fiber insert sights, the rib has been improved, and many of the originals have been in the hunting fields for at least nine years, and I even have a 140E, 9.3X74R that I bought new before GSI from Cape Outfitters that is eleven years old, with not a single problem, and a 140-2 Safari 470NE that is over five years old in my hands, and three before that in it’s original owners hands where it took two good bull elephant, and three Cape buffalo, with no problems either. I know several friends who own Merkel double rifles and again no problems.

I think the ghostly stories and predictions bantered about by those detractors simply have not born fruit, and were just that STORIES! Those Merkel double rifles are taking dangerous game every Safari season, and I have not seen even one example of the Merkel Safari grade, or even the smaller bore rifles that have shown a propensity to shoot loose, or fail to shoot for any reason.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DGR375
.300 member

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #151873 - 26/01/10 11:09 AM

I currently own a Merkel 140 in 9.3x74R. It is everything I could wish for. The buying experience was great: I was often phoning or being phoned by the distributor (Granite Arms) to discuss specifications and options. I selected ejectors, red recoil pad, express sights, English style stock, matching 20 bore barrels, and cheek piece.
I was also asked what brand of ammunition I'd like it regulated for, projectile type, and range for it to be regulated to.
I was advised that a typical delivery time would be 12 to 18 months. It was delivered in 15 months.
Upon arrival the only problem was me - once I learned to shoot it, groups shot offhand are the same size as those achieved with my bolt action rifles. I don't measure groups.
Handling is superb, coming to face with sights aligned, target acquisition and two shots fired being achieved eerily quickly.
In other words, everything I hoped for.

hoser
.275 member

Reged: 06/01/10
Loc: California, USA
Merkel 220E Boxlock with Blitz Action? [Re: DGR375]
      #151968 - 27/01/10 04:52 AM

Since we're on the subject, any input or experience with this model (from the 1980's in case there were any QC issues back then)? I know it's O/U, but interested just the same.

Edited by hoser (27/01/10 04:56 AM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Merkel 220E Boxlock with Blitz Action? [Re: hoser]
      #151978 - 27/01/10 05:39 AM

Quote:

Since we're on the subject, any input or experience with this model (from the 1980's in case there were any QC issues back then)? I know it's O/U, but interested just the same.

Hoser, if the rifle has been cared for properly, you will have no issues with the Merkel Over Under, that aren't common to all O/U double rifles, and a lot less with the Merkel than most others. The Merkel O/U doubles of that era are double kerstin actions that are as strong as a double rifle can be made and still be usefull. Don't worry about it, if you can make a good deal on that rifle I would buy it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

hoser
.275 member

Re: Merkel 220E Boxlock with Blitz Action? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #152016 - 27/01/10 12:43 PM

DUGABOY1, tinker, 500Nitro and others have been SO helpful, informative and PATIENT with me as a newbie and want to thank you guys for all your assistance. This has been a great place to gather info!!

I owe tinker for referring me and getting me involved on the forum. And for all of you annoyed with me already, you can also BLAME tinker!

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #152017 - 27/01/10 01:17 PM

Bad Tinker!!!

Hoser if you want to shoot a Merkel, just come one weekend and we'll shoot till your heart's content.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Merkel 220E Boxlock with Blitz Action? [Re: CptCurl]
      #152030 - 27/01/10 04:14 PM

Heh heh heh~~!

I know - I'm a goddamn Enabler!!

This is like putting a guy who's trying to sort out his gambling issues into an Opium Den for a weekend of introspection!!

No apologies here mate!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

hoser
.275 member

#152033 - 27/01/10 06:49 PM

Quote:

Bad Tinker!!!

Hoser if you want to shoot a Merkel, just come one weekend and we'll shoot till your heart's content.

Curl

You ain't kiddin'!

I do have a decent offer on a deal toward a Merkel 220E and am tempted because less out of pocket cash. Most have been saying these are made of higher quality than a standard Chapuis, but that may be a matter of taste. Not experienced enough to know for sure. But it is regulated well and out to 100 yards. Supposed to shoot REALLY well as it was regulated by a gunsmith to shoot tight! Decisions, decisions. But final one is coming soon.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#152046 - 27/01/10 10:22 PM

Quote:

But final one is coming soon.

No, it won't be the final one. . .

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#152047 - 27/01/10 10:26 PM

Hoser,

Most DR decisions are driven by the budget. The amount you have to spend usually limits what you can buy. The question of what DR to buy is answered differently at different budget levels. You might want to let us know your max budget, and we can fine tune our astounding ability to enable.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

hoser
.275 member

#152055 - 28/01/10 02:34 AM

I'm trying to hover in the $5K range or so.

gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
      #152200 - 30/01/10 07:19 AM

I used to own a 470, it was extremely accurate, if I did my part at 50 yards I would have one ragged hole. loaded 500 woodleigh and 86 gr rx 15 with fed 215 and pillow stuffing. Recoil was softer with the rx 15 then with 4831.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: LickiLovac]
      #152438 - 01/02/10 01:46 PM

Quote:

Somebody had nothing to do but dig up old post or was it a search?
Well any way you can tell people you bought an entry level Rigby
Bill

granhaven
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: Denmark
      #152487 - 02/02/10 01:22 AM

I have been the proud owner of a OU Merkel 211 Combination gun in caliber 7x65R/12 since 1992, there is an extra set of shtogun barrels for wing shooting. The game scene engravings are rich and with great artistic skill.
The gun has followed me all year, for the Roe bucks in the summer, the roaring stags in September, thru the driven hunts in the late fall and the closing of the season in mid winter shooting the last hinds and calfs to close the hunting limits of the hunting club. The stock of the guns shows signs of the many weeks of hunting and there is litle trace of the once sharp cut checkering on the pistolgrip. The scope, a 6x42 Swarowski has the paint worn off on the left side from the many hundred kilometers of walking with the the gun on my back rubbing against my jacket.
I got the Merkel from a retired Polish army general returning from GDR.

I consequently use the same Sellier & Bellot 9.0 grams bullet for all deer and wild boars, it does the job, no more no less!

In late 2008 I got the long wanted double rifle, also a Merkel 221 built in 1955 with tree sets of barrels. A double rifle in 7x65R/7x65R, a combination gun in 7x65R/16 and a shotgun barrel in 16/16.
The game scene engravings are rich and deep with great detail. The stock is aditionally angraved wilth flower ranks, making it a bit lady like. Handling it is surely close to having a young virgin in your hands, given that it is a caliber 16, the girl is just of age...

The caliber was carefully choosen, as I have shoot over six-hundred deer and wild boars with my first Merkel in the same caliber. I find that the 7x65R is a most versatile caliber, making shooting a true pleasure still producing the desired effect in the right spot.

I shurely expect my daugters will continue to hunt with my Merkels, once I cant get out there.

A polish hunting friend once told me that there is no such thing as an "old Merkel" there is only Merkels and "Well preserved Merkels" so a bit unlike ladies age is not an issue.

In short owning a Merkel is for life, and it will probably serve your family for generations if you keep it well preserved.

darz Bor, Knæk og Bræk

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #152505 - 02/02/10 03:44 AM

Quote:

Somebody had nothing to do but dig up old post or was it a search?
Well any way you can tell people you bought an entry level Rigby
Bill

Ouch!
And harsh on Merkel!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: granhaven]
      #152528 - 02/02/10 08:11 AM

granhaven,
A hearty welcome to the forum!
What a terrific first post and a very nice boar trophy as well!
Would love to see some detailed photos of your Merkels if you get a chance.
I am also a fan of the 7x65R, and have used an O/U double in that chambering for a number of years here in OZ.
You are right that it is a very versatile cartridge!

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
Re: Merkels comments from owners please [Re: 4seventy]
      #152530 - 02/02/10 08:45 AM

I own a Merkel shotgun, and while no double rifle, I can still share some thoughts. I picked up the Merkel as an aside shotgun for situations to which I did not want my H&H shotgun exposed. First of all, it happens to handle just like my H&H, did not have to readjust, shoots well for me. As it was meant to be my bang-around, gun, it was exposed to exactly that: Dirt (lots of it) , torrential rains, being thrown into the back of trucks, hitting things all over the place. Never a jam, never a malfunction, and all the mistreatment never put a real dent into the gun. Not as pretty as my H&H, but works very well and is built solidly with tight tolerances. For a working gun, a good choice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 580 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18251

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com