Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Beretta Double Rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Beretta Double Rifles
      #84384 - 22/08/07 04:20 AM

Surprised that I couldn't find "Beretta" when I searched the double rifle forum. Anyone have experience with them (good or bad)? I assume they are of the same high quality as Beretta shotguns?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: taw1126]
      #84385 - 22/08/07 04:26 AM

Excellent guns, a mates got one, really nicely made
and good to shoot.

I think they are called the Silver Sable and Gold Sable
or something like that.

taw1126
.333 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: 500Nitro]
      #84386 - 22/08/07 04:52 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I've owned Beretta shotguns in the past and figured the rifles must be of good quality as well.

I assume that regulation of the O/U rifles is much easier to accomplish than with the SxS variety. Does that also mean that O/U rifles are less affected by load changes?

Edited by taw1126 (22/08/07 04:53 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

#84387 - 22/08/07 04:59 AM

Quote:

I assume that regulation of the O/U rifles is much easier to accomplish than with the SxS variety. Does that also mean that O/U rifles are less affected by load changes?

?????

Where does that come from ?

taw1126
.333 member

#84390 - 22/08/07 05:38 AM

Well, an uninformed mind I guess.

Intuitively it seems that the horizontal regulation of a pair of stacked barrels would be easier than the horizontal regulation of two barrels laid side-by-side. If different loads only changed the vertical POI (from a pair of O/U barrels) then it would seem a matter of adjusting the elevation of sights or scope.

On the other hand, it would seem that changing bullet weight and/or velocity in a side-by-side would affect both the vertical POI as well as the horizontal POI of each barrel.

Can you clarify & correct?

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #84430 - 22/08/07 04:29 PM

The sliver and Golden Sable UXO rifles are great for under $9000 and Beretta make a beautiful high grade SXS Double rifle which I think is worth over 40000.

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #84462 - 23/08/07 04:49 AM

I have really loved mine; it's a very well-made gun and highly accurate. Here's a description of mine by Lewis Drake:

Beretta "Model 455"

Best self-opening sidelock double rifle in .470 N.E. Weight 11 1/4 lbs. Stock dimensions: 14 ¾"x 1 ¼"x 2 ¼"x 1/8" cast-off. Superb 26" chopper-lump "Bohler Steel" barrels with ¼ rib and 50yd. fixed/100yd. flip-up rear sight and ramp front sight. Bores absolutely 100% mint. Worlds finest reinforced, self-opening, Holland and Holland action with double underlugs, Holland hidden third fastener, bushed firing pins, ejectors, double triggers with articulated front trigger, non-automatic safety, and hand detachable side locks. Minimally engraved and gold inlaid case hardened action and locks are flawlessly finished and of superlative quality. Figured pistol-grip stock with rubber recoil pad and case hardened steel trap door compartment in the toe of the butt for two spare rounds of ammo. Splinter forend with lever release. I can't say enough about the overall quality and feel of this magnificent firearm except to say that it is the equal of any double rifle by any maker I have ever owned and it shoots just as good as it looks. If I were going after dangerous game on any continent this is a rifle I would not hesitate to take. Replacement cost well in excess of $**,****.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: ozhunter]
      #84466 - 23/08/07 05:15 AM

Quote:

The sliver and Golden Sable UXO rifles are great for under $9000 and Beretta make a beautiful high grade SXS Double rifle which I think is worth over 40000.

Well under $9000.

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #84600 - 25/08/07 02:42 AM

I remember when that one was sold. I wish I had made a run on it. Nice going. When was it built?

Armbar.

Spring
.300 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: armbar]
      #84609 - 25/08/07 05:14 AM

Quote:

I remember when that one was sold. I wish I had made a run on it. Nice going. When was it built?

Armbar.

Which gun are you referring to?

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: Spring]
      #84620 - 25/08/07 11:52 AM

I recall the listing of your rifle also Spring. Almost made a pass but ended up with my Marcel Thys sidelock. You surely bought a nice rifle.

JPK

africa1
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/07
Loc: ohio, USA
      #84656 - 26/08/07 04:46 AM

I own a Beretta SS06 sl in 458. It is a wonderful rifle, perfect balance and fit. The accuracy is superb. I shot a blesbok (lengthwise) at 120+ meters with this rifle. It will shoot one inch+ groups at 100+ meters. One large hole at 50 meters. It is ammo insensitive. I use A Square Triad as my preferred ammo, Hornady or Woodleigh if necessary, and the accuracy is the same. This may be a real find on the used market, however, I have not seen any. I bought mine new from the Gallery in NYC and the staff is wonderful. I have read in this forum some of concerns regarding the o/u vs. sxs. I have had no problems with quick reloading (recent buffalo experience). All in all, this is becoming my favorite rifle for all Africa hunting. I may become a one gun hunter---never thought it would happen.

armbar
.300 member

#84659 - 26/08/07 07:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Armbar.

I was referring to the Beretta 455.

Spring
.300 member

#84725 - 27/08/07 12:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Armbar.

I was referring to the Beretta 455.

OK---I wasn't sure since there were a couple of guns being disussed in this thread. Anyway, my gun was made in 1999 and according to Beretta was shipped to the NYC Beretta store in 2001. It was initially sold sometime after that and I got it about 3 years ago.
About a month before I bought this particular gun it was featured in both The Double Gun Journal and Sporting Classics. Of course I had to save those issues!
I've taken it to Africa once and will have it back there again next year if the Tanzanian gov't straightens up their act.

armbar
.300 member

#84791 - 28/08/07 06:20 PM

Again, nice going. Beautiful rifle.

Armbar.

Spring
.300 member

#84829 - 29/08/07 02:51 AM

Quote:

Again, nice going. Beautiful rifle.

Armbar.

Thanks, Armbar. You don't see many of these guns around and I suspect it has to do with the quality of the work Beretta had put into them which pushed their retail prices up near the high end English guns. At that price point I think the appeal and nostalgia of the English guns gave them an advantage in resale valuations, even though most think the Beretta guns were very comparable to their British cousins in design and quality.
Another interesting aspect of Beretta's foray into the market for high quality doubles is that the base design of the guns was that of Famars , also known as Abbiatico and Salvinelli (A&S). You'll see that the Famars' Venus double rifle pictured below is highly similar to mine, except for the obvious differences in finish. It was in the finishing process that I believe the gun move from the hands of A&S and over to Beretta.
Anyway, I really like mine and was pleased to find one at a much better price than was commonly charged for a new one in NYC or Dallas.

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
      #85036 - 02/09/07 12:30 PM

I had a Beretta 689 o/u 9.3x74R with a set of 20ga barrels. I thought I'd found gun nirvana, until the rib came loose from the rifle barrels. The "customer service" I received from Beretta was, to be kind;pathetic. They contracted out the repair to Simmons(who's "customer service" was almost as bad as Beretta's). The Simmons repaired rib promptly peeled on about the sixth shot. After repeatedly being given the run around both over the phone, and in person at the Beretta booth at the SHOT show, I paid JJ at Champlin to fix it, and he did a superb job. I then sold it off, and would not take another Beretta product for free! I also wouldn't have Simmons repair a BB gun, let alone a fine arm. You wanted both good and bad, so there's some bad!

Jeff

taw1126
.333 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: akjeff]
      #85161 - 05/09/07 06:52 AM

Thanks Jeff. Pretty disappointing response from Beretta...how long did it take (rounds fired or years) before the rib came loose? I'm surprised they didn't send the gun to Cole's, who seems to handle quite a bit of Beretta's U.S. warranty work, and apparently won't fit shotgun barrels to double rifles.

Beretta service may be a moot point for me- the owner of the S689 Gold Sable didn't accept my offer but I've found the DR I was originally looking for (early Merkel 140E) at a better price anyway.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #85316 - 09/09/07 08:25 AM

Quote:

I had a Beretta 689 o/u 9.3x74R with a set of 20ga barrels. I thought I'd found gun nirvana, until the rib came loose from the rifle barrels. The "customer service" I received from Beretta was, to be kind;pathetic. They contracted out the repair to Simmons(who's "customer service" was almost as bad as Beretta's). The Simmons repaired rib promptly peeled on about the sixth shot. After repeatedly being given the run around both over the phone, and in person at the Beretta booth at the SHOT show, I paid JJ at Champlin to fix it, and he did a superb job. I then sold it off, and would not take another Beretta product for free! I also wouldn't have Simmons repair a BB gun, let alone a fine arm. You wanted both good and bad, so there's some bad!

Jeff

Jeff do you know, or did they say what caused the rib to seperate? What ammo were you shooting in the rifle,with what bullet? Just curious, I like to collect any data on any thing that happens to cause a double rifle to fail, in any way!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #85318 - 09/09/07 09:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response.

Trey The regulation difficulty is not a worry to you, as the owner, because that is done at the factory!

The using of the word REGULATING , interchangeably with working up loads for a double rifle, is where the great bulk of misunderstanding of how double rifles work comes from!

The regulating of a double rifle is a physical process of building the barrels sets with the proper convergence so that the rifle shoots properly. The fact that the barrels physically converge is taken by many to mean that the bullet paths converge also, and they do not! The properly loaded side by side, or Over Under double rifle the centers of each barrel’s individual group remain parallel down range, and the center of each barrel’s group do not cross if the load is right. The misconception that they do cross at a given point is incorrect. This misconception comes from the knowledge that the barrels physically converge, and the writers who write for the gun rags who mistakenly believer this because the adds for the rifles state that the rifle is regulated AT 100 MTRS, or 50 MTRS, an they take that to mean the bullets cross at that distance. This is also, incorrect! What the distance stated means that is the distance the STANDING iron sight is cut (REGULATED) for, for elevation, and windage for the center of a composite group of both barrels. The rifle may have several flip-up sights for longer ranges, yet the centerline of these sights are all in line with each other. If the bullets crossed at 100mtrs, how would these sights line up to 200, and 300 mtrs. Many writers assume these flip-ups are strictly for decoration, and are useless. If the load is proper, these sights will be dead on at the ranges engraved on them.

The difference between the O/U, and the S/S double rifles where regulation is concerned, is simply that the recoil arc is different, but the loads still must place the hits on the target parallel. The top barrel above the bottom barrel, and in line for windage, for the O/U. With the S/S, the barrels must print the barrels side by side at the same elevation. The barrels are still sensitive to bullet weight, shape, and speed, no matter the configuration! If the load is too slow, it will shoot apart, and high, if it is too fast they will cross, and shoot low this is true of both types!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

akjeff
.300 member

#85320 - 09/09/07 12:34 PM

taw,

I bought the rifle used, but judging from the condition of the face of the action, it was fired but little. It failed after about 50-60 rounds, I would guess.

Had they sent it to someone like Cole's, or as I did, Champlin, I'd probably still own the gun, and you'd never have seen this thread.

Beretta does not do such repairs in house( which floors me ), and insisted that they would send the gun back to Simmons, for another try. After the butcher job that Simmons performed, I said thanks, but no thanks.

Pretty dissapointing experience all around, and Beretta's total lack of customer service, coupled with Simmon's arrogance, and inept work, has soured me on both, for good.

Best of luck with the Merkel! My buddies .375 H&H shoots like a house on fire!

Jeff

akjeff
.300 member

Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #85321 - 09/09/07 12:45 PM

Duga,

I'd be glad to fill you in. My opinion, and this was confirmed by JJ Perdou at Champlin, when he repaired it, was that it was caused by a contaminated/poorly done solder joint. I perform quite a bit of silver soldering in my work, while building waveguide for microwave transmission lines. I know a good solder joint from a bad one, and it was definitely bad. JJ supected that the "repair" consisted of simply reheating the old/bad joint. When he did the repair, he removed the entire rib, cleaned it down to bare metal, and started from scratch. His work was first rate.

As for the loads shot. I first fired Norma 286gr factory ammo( which, I was told by Beretta, was what this rifle was regulated with.), and reloads with 286gr Norma Oryx, and Nosler Partition bullets, RL-15 powder, Fed 210 primers, and Norma cases. At no time did the load workup exceed the velocity of the factory ammo.

Hope this info, is of some help.

Regards,

Jeff

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #85324 - 09/09/07 01:10 PM

Quote:

Nosler Partition bullets

Jeff

I don't know the "Oryx" bullet and whether it is also a partition type bullet? But I believe H partition style bullets can cause some problems.

Perhaps someone else more knowledgable can contribute.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #85332 - 09/09/07 04:44 PM

No, the Oryx is a conventional bonded core soft. It isn't an H section or solid shank bullet, so no problem there.

Quote:

My opinion, and this was confirmed by JJ Perdou at Champlin, when he repaired it, was that it was caused by a contaminated/poorly done solder joint. JJ supected that the "repair" consisted of simply reheating the old/bad joint. When he did the repair, he removed the entire rib, cleaned it down to bare metal, and started from scratch. His work was first rate.

Yep, I'd be unhappy too. Anybody who knows their way around double guns should know better than to try to tack down a loose rib. The only reliable fix is to strip it off, clean up the mess, relay it properly and re-black. J. J.'s work is superb, but it's unfortunate that it came to that and had to come out of your pocket. I know roughly what J. J. charges for relaying a loose rib and re-blacking. Ouch. He isn't cheap, but it's done right.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Beretta Double Rifles [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #85336 - 09/09/07 07:17 PM

Quote:

No, the Oryx is a conventional bonded core soft. It isn't an H section or solid shank bullet, so no problem there.

400NE

Quote:

... and Nosler Partition bullets ...

But the Nosler Partitions also used as mentioned above are a H section bullet. Maybe you or another could comment on whether this is an issue (ie using H section/solid shank bullets) in double rifles? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17305

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com