Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hammer vs Hammerless - New Twist

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
Hammer vs Hammerless - New Twist
      #70212 - 26/01/07 02:26 PM

Ok, truth be told this isn't really about DR's but I'm sure if you had the money it could be. I do some guiding at the local bird preserve as it gives the dog and I more time in the field.

Anyway one of the guy's today was shooting a Famars that was a hammergun but the hammers cocked automatically on opening the gun. It was an interesting idea and concept. He said he purchased the gun for use in Eurpoe for driven game hunts because he preffered hammer guns. Anyway that got me to thinking about all those that love hammerguns and the debate on how fast or slow they are in reloading. thought it might throw another wrinkle in the debate. I went to their website and thought I'd share the link Famars Castore

Anyway just dreaming it might make a nice rifle on that frame. Since I'm back to dreaming as I made a choice to part with the Rigby I'm back to my homebuilts.

Bill

P.S.- Been gone awhile and it's been fun catching up on the reading over the last couple of weeks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HighlandStalker
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Christchurch, NZ
Re: Hammer vs Hammerless - New Twist [Re: banzaibird]
      #70261 - 27/01/07 09:27 AM

Although I do not personally own a hammergun I would quite like an old English hammergun for my collection. Good value here in the UK, along with provincially made boxlock non ejectors.

Follow the old saying

A gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears!!

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #70265 - 27/01/07 09:50 AM

banzaibird

In Las Vegas at an Arms Fair 4 years ago, I went up to the FAMARS Stand and asked a gentleman if I could look at the
SELF COCKING Hammer Gun. After he had finished with another person, we talked and he then proceeded to take one apart and show me how it worked.

The workmanship was excellent and it was great to have seen it.

Turned out he was the Vice President or something like that but he certainly had me wanting to get one - one day !!!

banzaibird
.333 member

Re: Hammer vs Hammerless - New Twist [Re: 500Nitro]
      #70266 - 27/01/07 10:04 AM

500Nitro,

So tell us how they work? I figured it was a sidelock configuration with the cocking rods like a boxlock. Though the man who owned the gun was gracious enough to let me shoot it I believe I would have been pushing the edge to dissect it in the field .

It was very nice though not the greatest thing for the walk up behind a pointing dog but I imagine for something like a driven hunt it would be fantastic. The workmanship and overall design and lines were absolutely gorgeous. I was afraid to ask the price knowing full well it was out of my range. So I simply admired and fondled .

Highland,

I must say I do like the look of the hammer guns. Though I really don't have a preference other than for guns I can't afford, but not sure that’s as much preference as lust.

Bill

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #70296 - 28/01/07 04:11 AM

Quote:

500Nitro,

It was very nice though not the greatest thing for the walk up behind a pointing dog but I imagine for something like a driven hunt it would be fantastic. Bill

BILL Stop and think for a moment, the auto cocking hammer gun is exactly the same thing as a hammerless self cocking double gun, except with the exposed hammers you can see from a distance that the gun is cocked, and hammerless is cocked, you just can't see the hammers.

Since both depend on a tang safety to keep them safe, I see this new thing to be the best of both worlds, and actually safer than the hammerless, because you can let the hammers down for walking if you want, and unless you want to use a thing like the Krieghoff double rifle, you can't decock a loaded hammerless double. The big plus, to me is, the gun recocks it's self after the gun is fired for a quick follow-up!

I'd like to have a double rifle with this feature!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hammer vs Hammerless - New Twist [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #70298 - 28/01/07 04:50 AM

It seems that the legal framework in Europe is moving towards having firearms that can be uncocked when loaded so we are likely to see similar on all sorts of break open guns and rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hammer vs Hammerless - New Twist [Re: NitroX]
      #70299 - 28/01/07 04:57 AM

Looks very nice.

Smoothbore side-by-side hammergun

The Castore is an exclusive side by side hammer gun which combines 19th century traditional lines with 21st century technical advances. The external hammers are a work of art in themselves. The gun is automatically cocked on opening but the hammers may also be cocked manually. To complete the style of bygone days, the chopper lump barrels follow tradition by being ‘browned’ instead of the modern blacking. The Castore is a gun for the enthusiast, traditionalist and collector. It can be built also without automatic cocking and ejectors.

Gauge: 12 - 20 - 28 - .410 bore (with proportioned frames)
Action: Sidelock, automatic ejectors and coking, manual safety.
Trigger: Double or single trigger.
Barrels: Chopper lump.
Stock: Selected walnut, made to clients specifications.
Weight: 71/2 lbs / 3.4 kg (12 bore) 61/2 lbs / 2.9 kg (20 bore)
Options: Single trigger, automatic safety, non automatic ejectors and cocking.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

banzaibird
.333 member

Re: Hammer vs Hammerless - New Twist [Re: NitroX]
      #70306 - 28/01/07 06:34 AM

Mac,

That is what I was thinking of and said so in my first post. However I don't know for sure and i know they have done some interesting things at Famars over the years. Just wondering if that is what they did or if it is a whole new makeup.

Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2597

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com