Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo
      #53147 - 23/03/06 12:25 PM

I have a new 470 NE and am going on my first Cape Buffalo hunt in Tanzenia on August 5, 2006. I have been told by someone that the Woodleigh soft is "too soft" for cape buffalo. He shot one and it hit the shoulder and did not penetrate, I don't remember but I think it hit the joint. He thinks I should use the Swift first shot then Woodleigh solid second barrel. I have never been to Africa before.

I was going to bring my 375 HH and load the 300 gr. Swift which was recommender by the Ph.

Comments please by someone who has "been there & done that"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: gei]
      #53149 - 23/03/06 12:57 PM

I prefer all solids for buff and elephant, although a lot of guys like softs for a broadside lung shot. The Woodleigh .470 soft will be fine for a broadside shot, especially if you have a solid in the other barrel. Personally I cannot imagine hunting buff with a .375 when you own a .470.

gei
.224 member

Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: 500grains]
      #53151 - 23/03/06 01:10 PM

I was going to hunt with the 375 but just purchased the 470. Naturally I will use the 470. PH said I might go through the first buffalo and hit a second with solid for first shot, that is why he recommends Swift A frame for first shot.

I am a new member, this is actually my first post. I have been reading the threads for several weeks and like what I saw.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #53155 - 23/03/06 01:29 PM

gei

Welcome to NitroExpress.com

I don't have a .470 but found Woodleigh Weldcore RNs worked well in my .375 (300 gr) and .450 (480 gr) on African Cape Buff (.375) and Aussie water buff (.450).

The Swift A-frame would be a good bullet too if you can work up a load.

Using the second barrel for a FMJ (not a 'solid') also sounds like good advice.

What make is your new .470 ?

Good luck on your Tanzania safari too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

srose
.300 member

Reged: 30/09/05
Loc: North Carolina
      #53156 - 23/03/06 01:39 PM

I used a 470 in 2003 to kill lots of game in Africa. Used Woodleigh softs on everything but buffalo. Shot a Eland thru the shoulders with a soft and it was under the skin on the off side. Weight was 492 grs and was as big as a quarter. Pretty good as the Eland was as big as the buffalo. Shot buffalo with Woodleigh solids and none stayed in him. I'd shoot softs if in herds. Softs shot thru wildabeast and kudu on broad side shots. Either would work fine for buffalo.

Sam

gei
.224 member

Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: NitroX]
      #53157 - 23/03/06 01:40 PM

The rifle is a Merkel, I know it is the least expensive double, but I raelly like it. I got it on an auction on line, it was used, but the owner said it was never shot. Don't really beleive that.

The gun is in new condition, I fired federal factory at 50 yards and it shoots very well. It is shooting better then I can shoot. I am shooting 3 to 4 inches @ 50 yards with a gun I am not used to. I want to shoot 4" at 100 yards then I will feel good.

I loaded up several cases with 108 gr H4831SC with 500 Woodleigh and it had the same point of impact at the factory with less pressure judging by the cases.

The gun is at J.J. P------ having a recoil pad installed. I hope to get it back in several weeks. I will fire the gun about 200 shots minimum before I hunt with it in August.

I found the rifle fun to shoot off sticks, I made a tripod out of three pieces of cane to practice from. I want to be proficient at 100 yards before I hunt with the 470 NE.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #53158 - 23/03/06 01:46 PM

In reply to:

The rifle is a Merkel, I know it is the least expensive double, but I raelly like it.

Nothing wrong with a Merkel. I would buy one and considered getting one as my first double before buying a 'vintage' DR simply to have some history with the rifle and maybe resale value.

Some of the gentlemen here who have very nice 'vintage' rifles also have a Merkel or two.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #53161 - 23/03/06 02:07 PM

What about NF Cup nose or GSC?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: bulldog563]
      #53172 - 23/03/06 04:51 PM

Hi gei,
I have taken two Cape Buffalo with my Merkel 470NE, one with Woodliegh softs and one with Woodleigh solids.
I normaly load one soft and one solid but with the buff shot with the softs we were tracking buff with a pride of Lion Just in front of us (one is quite alert when walking through Jesse bush where Lions were just seen) and with the one shot with the solids he was by him self and we had Elephant in the thick bush around us. So the situation at the time will dictate what is best to have in old two pipes.
PS; No need for anything but Woodleighs for a Merkel 470NE to shoot and kill well IMO.
ozhunter

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #53256 - 25/03/06 04:37 AM

The softnose Woodleigh is certainly the standard and obviously works very well on broadside shots. It would be interesting to know how the new Barnes TSX would do as it would supposedly combines the "shock" of the softnose and that energy dump into the animal plus the "penetration" to make it lethal from various angles other than broadside.

This combo is interesting to me as it would swap some of the energy of penetration(full penetration just dumps residual energy into the object behind the animal)for momentum/hydrostatic tissue shock and ?cutting effect.The animals I have shoot with standard X bullets have impressed me with signifigant tissue/hemorhage effect but they are certainly not buffalo.

Time will tell.And if they just made a MRX in 470 with its tungsten rear---

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: hoppdoc]
      #53288 - 25/03/06 01:54 PM

HopDoc,

Barnes mono bullets are not suitable for any DR.

JPK

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: JPK]
      #53293 - 25/03/06 02:34 PM

JPK-

I do understand that the increased surface area of the barnes monolithic solids creates pressure/barrel problems and that the ribbing of the othersolid bullets mentioned decreases pressure--

I do not have any 470 TSX bullets for loading for my Merkel but was considering getting their 500gr for handloading. Supposedly the triple grooves should decrease the surface area/pressure and not create pressure problems.
I have a 7mag bolt gun they work great in and it has great accuracy.Sometimes the solid copper X bullets don't shoot well in some barrels presumably because the bullet/barrel fit is suboptimal.

Do the pressures involved and the soldering of the barrels preclude shooting solid copper bullets at all if pressures are satisfactory? Is lead in the rear of the bullet needed to deform to better contact the barrel wall? It all may be a bust anyway if the load wont regulate.

Obviously I don't want to screw up the Merkel with the $$ tied up in the gun.

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (25/03/06 02:37 PM)

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #53301 - 25/03/06 04:31 PM

hoppdoc:

JPK is giving you the same advice that I gave you in the other thread. He's right.

It has nothing to do with pressure. As long as the load is properly worked up, the pressures with monos need not be any more unsafe in a double than they are in a bolt rifle. The damage to doubles with them is due to their inability to compress during obturation. Rifle barrels expand slightly as the bullet traverses the bore. With a lead core bullet that compresses and obturates easily, this expansion is minimal. A monolithic bullet lacks a compressable core and barrel expansion is greater. Because the barrels of doubles don't have the wall thickness of a typical single barrel rifle (the weight and handling dynamics issues would otherwise be insuperable), this is a special problem with them. The solder joints of the ribs and sights can become overworked and fail. Worse, overstressed rifling can occur. That term is literal and the condition is characterized by the imprint of the lands on the OUTSIDE of the barrels. It isn't a joke. I've seen both types of damage. I once ruined the barrels of a nice double with Barnes X myself.

The banded solid design is supposed to cure this compressability problem by dramatically reducing the surface area that must be engraved by the rifling. The theory might work if the bands are deep enough to insure that the full diameter of the bullet shank does not touch the lands. Yeah, right. Oh, well, I don't want to start another war. Suffice to say that Barnes doesn't make a true banded design. They don't make anything that is suitable for a double. Period.

For those who feel the need to shoot 500 grain solids out of magazine rifles at ultra velocities, perhaps the need for monolithic bullets is real. At the velocities that the big flanged double rifle rounds operate at, it doesn't make sense. Those rounds made their legends long before WWII. Prior to WWII, "solids" were ordinary full nickel-jacketed round nose bullets. Gilding metal covered steel jacketed solids were not offered in those calibers until after the war. They worked fine. What few failures there were with them were eliminated with the post-war steel jacket. In other words, the .470 made it's legend with ordinary full metal jacket solids. The steel jacketed Kynochs that followed were better, and todays Woodleighs are tougher than the old steel Kynochs ever were. Some would have you think that you're taking your life in you hands if you don't use monos. That's rat lotion.

If you've drunk the peddler's poison and must have monos, use a true banded design. Better yet, use Woodleighs - they were designed for double rifles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Edited by 400NitroExpress (26/03/06 05:00 AM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #53309 - 25/03/06 09:32 PM

Thanks much!! Sorry to be hard headed!

Hate to trash a double just playing with bullets---

--------------------

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #53312 - 26/03/06 12:00 AM

I have shot barnes mono's in my Merkel .375 H&H DR exclusively. I have over 500 shots without any of the aforementioned issues and I will continue using them - they work. From what I've heard, Barnes bullets are slightly under sized and should present no problems in a rifle wiht a perfect bore.

Will I shot them in my 1906 Jeffery 450No.2 - Hell no!

Horses for course of course.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
      #53313 - 26/03/06 12:32 AM

I have used Woodleigh solids for my buffalo hunting with great results. the last buff was shot at about 20 yards and the bullet penetrated both shoulders, a small Mopane tree and the tracker found the bullet on the opposite side of the tree! The bullet is in perfect condition.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #53321 - 26/03/06 05:04 AM

hoppdoc:

I've edited my above post. Thank you for realizing that it was a typo. I can't believe I did that. Please accept my apologies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

gei
.224 member

Re: 470 NE which projectile for CApe Buffalo [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #53382 - 27/03/06 11:48 AM

Thanks a lot for the infomation on the Woodleigh soft points.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3061

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com