Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff cocking mechanism

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Krieghoff cocking mechanism
      #48282 - 28/01/06 03:47 AM

In past years, I have not liked the Krieghoff double rifle cocking mechanism/safety thingie because I found it too hard to push and I found that it had to travel quite far compared to the traditional safety of a double rifle. This is in part due to the fact that I cracked my thumb knuckle some years back. But regardless of that, I still found it slower than a regular safety.

However, at 2006 Reno/SCI I handled some Krieghoffs again and found their cocking piece a lot easier to use than before. I would not say the travel is less, but it seems to require much less effort than before, and seems to be faster than before.

Does anyone know if there have been subtle design changes to the Krieghoff cocking mechanism/safety thingie to make it easier to use?

BTW, Krieghoff offers a 3 barrel drilling which is 20 ga. x 20 ga. x 9.3 x 74R with an extra set of 9.3 x 74R inserts for the 20 ga. barrels. Nice!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: 500grains]
      #48295 - 28/01/06 04:28 AM

Would you rather have that or a double rifle drilling with two 9.3x74Rs over a 20 gauge barrel? NE450No2 likes the traditional system but for some reason I would like two rifle barrels and one shotgun, proabably because I couldn't hit a flying bird with the second shot either.

Edited: And is this a kindler, gentler 500grains -- softening toward the Krieghoff? Inquiring minds want to know.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Edited by Charles_Helm (28/01/06 04:29 AM)

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #48299 - 28/01/06 05:36 AM

500grains,
When I bought my used Krieghoff last year, I brought it to them to have it restocked left handed. I was told it had trigger and safety upgrades while it was there. The cocking mechanism seemed lighter when I got it back and I never questioned it before. I also never found it as bad to operate as people made it seem. Maybe what your saying has something to it.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #48304 - 28/01/06 06:55 AM

Charles, I can't exactly say that I am on the verge of purchasing a Krieghoff because I still prefer a traditional safety, but it seems they have improved their system in some way even though there does not seem to be any publicity about it. If they made a drilling that was 12 ga (3") x 12 ga. (3") x .500 NE, then I would be VERY interested.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #48308 - 28/01/06 07:56 AM

That would be one big drilling.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #48310 - 28/01/06 08:19 AM

I noticed a marked difference gun to gun several years ago. The one on my hunting partner's .500/.416 is so stiff that I can't move it all the way forward with the gun above waist level, and I'm not a small guy. Some guns I handled a few years ago were easier, but others were just as bad. I handled a new .500 at the NRA show last April that was better, but I still couldn't get it cocked with the gun mounted.
----------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

davem3
.300 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: birmingham,al usa
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #48397 - 29/01/06 09:36 AM

I'm not familar with the system at all but can't see any advantage in it.
Is it supposed to be an added safety feature or I guess I'm asking "why"?

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: davem3]
      #48432 - 29/01/06 01:10 PM

A normal DR is cocked when closed with a traditional saftey to stop firing. The Kreighoff has a cocker/decocker for a saftey so it really isn't cocked when closed if the safety (decocker) is on safe.

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: bulldog563]
      #48435 - 29/01/06 02:15 PM

The safety on traditionasl rifles only blocks the triggers and not the sears or hammers.

JPK

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #48466 - 30/01/06 12:59 AM

PWN375 has a Kreighoff in 500/416. He really like the cocking lever. He like the safety factor of carrying the rifle load, yet not cocked.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Sunshine
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #48497 - 30/01/06 03:38 AM

My Classic's cocker moves with ease. I'm using a Sauer Drilling with a similar cocker since 25 years and I'm very fond of it. The gun is loaded but not cocked, in other words very safe, and with a push of the thumb it's cocked. Phantastic!

LGF
.275 member

Reged: 27/04/05
Loc: Kenya/Berkeley, CA
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: Sunshine]
      #48528 - 30/01/06 08:56 AM

I tried one yesterday at the Dallas Safari Club, and found it totally unusable in an emergency - lethal, in fact. The mechnism is so stiff that it takes a major effort to cock it, and I could barely do it while mounting the rifle. Fine if you have warning that you will need to use the gun, but in thick bush a buffalo could appear in a flash at very close range -no time to wrestle with the cocker. I will stick to a traditional action.

MRobinson
.275 member

Reged: 29/01/06
Loc: New England
      #48532 - 30/01/06 10:13 AM

500grains,

I agree.

The Krieghoffs I handled at SCI this year were all very easy for me to cock manually with my right thumb as I raised the rifle to my shoulder. The decocker seems much easier to use than it used to be. Of course, I am used to the Blaser R93 decocker, which is the stiffest of all to operate, and I don't find it the least bit troublesome.

A decocker is a wonderfully safe feature. I'm not too crazy about the looks of the big thumbpiece where it juts up above the top lever, though. However, I found the thumbpiece to be so easy to use, that I think that Krieghoff could safely reduce its size or reconfigure it a bit if they wanted to improve the rifle's aesthetics.

I also like that the Kreighoffs have non-automatic decockers (unlike Blaser's decocker-equipped double, the S2), so that if the thumb piece is left in the cocked position when the action is opened for reloading, the rifle will be cocked and ready to shoot when the action is closed.

I also liked how well the Krieghoff doubles fit me. I could have bought a nice new one in .500 NE for US$11,000, and that was very tempting, but I resisted.

Negatives for me on the Kreighoff are all aesthetic. As I have said, I don't like the size and shape of the decocker. I also don't like the schnabel fore end tip (easily fixed, though it is) or the machine engraving, and the wood I have seen is not much to look at.

Still, I would have to say that the Krieghoff is a great value and one could do a lot worse for a lot more money.

--------------------
Mike

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #48667 - 31/01/06 10:11 AM

In reply to:

Charles, I can't exactly say that I am on the verge of purchasing a Krieghoff because I still prefer a traditional safety, but it seems they have improved their system in some way even though there does not seem to be any publicity about it. If they made a drilling that was 12 ga (3") x 12 ga. (3") x .500 NE, then I would be VERY interested.

You sure you wouldn't want 2x500s over the 12 gauge? Better yet, a vierling with twin 500s and two 12 gauge barrels!

I vote for a second set of barrels and a traditional arrangement, but I am not qualified to say.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #48679 - 31/01/06 10:53 AM

Krieghoff makes a Safari Drilling. I think you can get 500x500x20 ga.

When first handle the Krieghoff or the Blaser with their cocking system they do seem hard and ackward. Kinda like the first time you try to ride a bycicle, or ski.
After you handle them and shoot them for a while it becomes second nature.
I would prefer the Blaser rifles to stay "cocked" but after shooting mu Blaser K 95 for a while it is secind nature to recock the riflke after reloading. It is all a matter of practicing and being familiar with your equipment.

I think a regular drilling has the most use of the combo guns for me, however a double rifle drilling sure has its appeal. This is why I am considering a Krieghoff Quadro in 12x12x9,3x74R with an insert barrel in 9,4x74R. That way I would have both in a much smaller package than a drilling with 2 sets of bbls.
I am waiting on Krieghoff to email me a picture of such a drilling here in the US.

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: NE450No2]
      #48682 - 31/01/06 11:31 AM

The African Drilling is 18K. It would be cool though. How much is the normal drilling?

--------------------

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: bulldog563]
      #48690 - 31/01/06 12:06 PM

I "demoed" the decocker only about
a million times this weekend. It
is a different way of having a
safe to carry rifle. The ones
we had are new, they are stiff.
That being said you are cocking
the hammer springs.
I had a lot of PHs tell me they
like it,and they want their clients
have it for the safety factor.
Thanks to all of you that came by
and said hello.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

TerryR
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/04
Loc: Greensburg, Pa.
      #48780 - 01/02/06 07:09 AM

To each his own, I've never found mine to be overly hard to cock or decock. Yes it takes a harder push than a traditional safety, but it is well within the paramaters of what a normal,healthy Man or Woman can do. Personally, I like the gun.

TerryR

ChopperGuy
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/04
Loc: Northern Minnesota
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: TerryR]
      #48791 - 01/02/06 11:48 AM

I also own Krieghoff doubles and have never found them particularily difficult to operate. I have been shooting double shotguns, single shot rifles, Blaser R93 & K95 (Please don't throw stones, I like them. You can shoot what ever you want.) for most of my shooting career so the Krieghoff safety/cocking mechanism is very natural.

I have practiced "instinctive" shooting with it from a variety of carry positions, at various targets, and varying ranges. I would not consider myself endangered at all by this system. It has become natural to me. I have been in law enforcement for over 25 years and incorporated training techniques used in my profession and as a police firearms instructor to simulate the stress of actual field situations, including moving/"charging" targets.

Those who speak to it from only a short handling period on a show floor could benefit from some extended range time to actually see how it functions and works. And yes, they do get a little easier to move with use. Probably a function of both practiced muscle memory and breaking in the safety/cocking system.

Not everybody has to like it, buy it or use it. I do, I did, and I look forward to using it on my first Cape Buff trip in September.

Good luck.

--------------------
"If you are in trouble, an airplane can fly over and throw you flowers, while a helicopter can land and save your life" Igor Sikorsky 1947

Edited by ChopperGuy (01/02/06 11:51 AM)

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: ChopperGuy]
      #48894 - 02/02/06 10:04 AM

Copper...

What caliber? Do you scope yours?

L2S

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

ChopperGuy
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/04
Loc: Northern Minnesota
Re: Krieghoff cocking mechanism [Re: luv2safari]
      #49065 - 03/02/06 11:40 AM

I have a Classic Big 5 with 2 barrel sets in 500/416 and 9.3x74R. Both sets have the High Vis sights. Ugly, but my poor near vision can actually see/use them.

The 9.3 has a Kahles 1.1-4 on it. The 500/416 is at Krieghoff USA as I type this getting set up for a Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4 on their QD mounts. I had not planned on scoping it, but my conversation with my PH at SCI said the time of year we are hunting in Mozambique could require longer shots if the tall grasses are down due to dry conditions. Thought I'd hedge my bet and have the easily removable scope as an option.

My other is a Krieghoff Classic in .30-06. Not the non-flanged caliber I would have chosen, however the price was VERY right and it is a left handed rifle. This one wears a Kahles 1.5-6 on it. Last June I used this rifle with the 1.1-4 Kahles now on the 9.3 barrels to take a white springbuck at 210 meters (laser verified).

--------------------
"If you are in trouble, an airplane can fly over and throw you flowers, while a helicopter can land and save your life" Igor Sikorsky 1947

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5029

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com