Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Marcel Thys

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Maineguide
.275 member

Reged: 09/03/05
Loc: New Hampshire
Marcel Thys
      #45980 - 07/01/06 01:30 PM

I either read or heard that Marcel Thys is back in business and building double rifles again. Has anyone heard this or any other information on this subject?

Maineguide

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Marcel Thys [Re: Maineguide]
      #45982 - 07/01/06 02:05 PM

From what I have heard, he was never completely out of the bussiness but was building only a few rifles, at a leisurely pace for G&H. I got the impression, without anyone affirming or denying, that G&H helped him out making good on partially complete orders which were destroyed by the apparently disgruntled employee several years back.

If he's back making rifles under his own name that would be great. I need to call G&H about a pair of shotguns they are working on and I'll ask and pass it on.

JPK

PS: I am both interested and biased since I own a Marcel Thys sidelock!

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #45983 - 07/01/06 02:05 PM

For Griffin and Howe. Check their website. http://www.griffinhowe.com/

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Grizzly
.333 member

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
Re: Marcel Thys [Re: mickey]
      #45987 - 07/01/06 02:31 PM

Is this one of Marcel's?

http://www.griffinhowe.com/riflemoreinfo.cfm

(The Griffin & Howe Boxlock under New Rifles)

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

Edited by Grizzly (07/01/06 02:32 PM)

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Marcel Thys [Re: JPK]
      #46008 - 07/01/06 08:46 PM

What is the story with the disgruntled employee?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

mickey
.416 member

Re: Marcel Thys [Re: bulldog563]
      #46026 - 08/01/06 05:18 AM

Thys had a burglary a few years ago where there entire stock of rifles and rifles in progress were stolen.. The only ones they didn't lose were at the engravers or proof House etc. A former employee was blamed and none of the stuff has been recovered.

This is what caused the business to close as they lost everything. They did make good on all orders and replace all of the lost rifles of customers out of their own pocket but it took about three years and all of the money they had or could get. Along with the pressure causing health problems for Marcel they pulled the plug.

It is good they are getting back into it as they are very good rifles at affordable prices. Much like a Searcy is worth more than the asking price of $10,000 so are Thys worth more than the asking price of $25,000.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

JPK
.375 member

#46033 - 08/01/06 07:02 AM

Grizzly,

Yes that rifle, the 470 boxlock, labelled "Griffin and Howell" is a Thys. If Thys's name were on the rifle it would have a bit more here and there, especially where you can't see, and be priced a bit higher too.

I have handled that rifle and its nice. It is relatively light or at least feels that way IIRC, and is well balanced.

JPK

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
      #46100 - 09/01/06 02:36 AM

The local Bass Pro Shop has one in their "Fine Gun Room" in a glass case for $50000.00. I handled it and thought it a darn nice gun. But the price seems a bit high. THis is a new gun as well.

Colorado

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Marcel Thys [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #46106 - 09/01/06 03:14 AM

Is the Bass Pro Thys a boxlock or sidelock?

Grizzly
.333 member

#46153 - 09/01/06 10:27 AM

JPK

It is one beautiful rifle. At 10 lbs 10 ounces, it sounds like someone paid attention to making it well balanced.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

JPK
.375 member

Re: Marcel Thys [Re: Grizzly]
      #46175 - 09/01/06 02:23 PM

I looked through the online versiun of Bass Pro Shops Fine Gun Room and couldn't fins any Thys. Where did you see this rifle. Can you describe it?

JPK

BlainSmipy
.375 member

#46195 - 09/01/06 04:32 PM

Denver Colorado, it is a 470NE and a box lock. Wood was high grade, express sights, with about 75 coverage. Its a new store so they don't have it listed yet. THe same place has a Jeffery's in a 375 flanged for $13500.00 used.

Colorado

--------------------

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #46197 - 09/01/06 04:35 PM

50K for a boxlock 470 is too much no matter what brand it is.

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Re: Marcel Thys [Re: 500grains]
      #46203 - 09/01/06 05:00 PM

I agree, the clowns at Bass Pro have no clue about DR's at all. You ask them a question and get the, "I'm working here part time...I know shot guns..crap". I had to educate them on DR's, and I'm still learning myself!

--------------------

Grizzly
.333 member

#46260 - 10/01/06 08:03 AM

JPK

What are the people at Griffin and Howell like to work with?

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

JPK
.375 member

#46275 - 10/01/06 11:15 AM

Grizzly,

Like anyone they have their plusses and minusses. If you are having them do work on a gun for you they can be torturously slow. They do seem to respond to pestering but its a pain. I prefer to deal with Paul Chapman, in the NJ store. He is in charge of their gunsmithing and thus a more practical guy.

PM me if you want more.

I agree with 500 Grains assesment of the price. You can get a new very nice sidelock rifle from a variety of good makers for that kind of money or a nice, very good condition English sidelock as well. I wonder if this price wasn't just put on the rifle as a "we don't know yet, but this would definitely cover it" number. I've seen this once or twice from some of the big retailers.

JPK

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #46331 - 11/01/06 04:07 AM

I would hope that Thys restarts his website now that he has started building fine guns again. I would never be able to afford to buy one of his guns but it was really nice enjoying the very extensive gallery on his website. I hope members here who know him would convey this request.

Best wishes and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Grizzly
.333 member

Re: Marcel Thys [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #46515 - 13/01/06 11:37 AM

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with Griffin and Howe?

I inquired about the rifle they posted on their web site as for sale. I sent the first inquiry to their CEO. My inquiry was passed off to someone else for reponse from the CEO.

That response stated that they were trying to have a representative rifle available at the DSC. I responded to that individual indicating I was interested in the rifle they had on their site for sale. I also indicated I was a cash buyer ready to do business. No response.

After a follow up e-mail from me to the underling, he stated that he appreiciated my frustration, and told me that the rifle in question was "unavilable". And they were trying to have a sample available at the DSC.

I wrote asking if unavilable meant sold, and received no response. I was directed to their CEO, the first person I sent an inquiry to. I asked him what unavialble meant. No response.

I then sent an inquiry to a person there who I heard was responsive. No response.

A Thys may be a great rifle, but those selling the G&H version appear to be pulling the old bait and switch. Perhaps not intentional, since competence seems to be in short supply there. But nonetheless, a bait and switch.

Yes, it may be a good buy, but it appears you are buying a pig in a poke. I am inclined at this point to stear clear of G&H. I would hate to see what customer service was like after the sale.

Just based on life experience, I will avoid these people entirely. Unless someone here has had a positive experience with them that is stellar.

One last thing. I inquired several months ago about the Ritterbusch they had in 458 WM. Ased if they could rechamber it, and what the cost would be. I sent that request to their general information address and to their VP and smithy. No response. Ever.

In my book, that is three strikes. But they do offer some fine rifles on their web site. The downside to that is that those rifles of any appeal appear to be "unavailable".

I am inclined to pass on a G&H Thys based on this experience. And since Marcel does not have his name on it, I suspect it is not up to the standards of a true Thys DG.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I believe I saved all of the e-mail traffic from both inquiries. I am willing to share what I have.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

mickey
.416 member

#46517 - 13/01/06 12:13 PM

I've also sent two emails to G&H about rifles for sale. Like you, I've never recieved a response. I gave up and haven't bothered them since.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #46520 - 13/01/06 12:39 PM

I sent an email about a rifle also a few months ago and it took them more then a week but they did respond. I guess I got lucky.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Grizzly
.333 member

Re: Marcel Thys [Re: bulldog563]
      #46597 - 14/01/06 11:21 AM

Well, I am through with Griffin and Howe. My first communication was to their CEO. That got referred to someone else for response. I was informed that the DR on their site was not the sample they would have at the conventions. I pushed him further, and noted that I was interested in THE rifle on their site listed for sale.

I got a note back saying it was "unavailable". I replied that I needed to know if unavailable meant it had been sold. I was referred to the CEO, the first person I contacted.

I sent an e-mail to the CEO asking if the rifle had been sold. Crickets chirping. No response.

I then sent the string of e-mails to a person at Griffin and Howe that got things done, and even dropped a name of a current customer, who gave me permission to use his name. No response.

My take on all this? In my opinion, they do not have the rifles they list for sale. That is not a company I have any desire to deal with.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
      #46649 - 15/01/06 05:20 AM

Griz, I know G&H well, live in NYC and have been a customer, guns and gunsmithing, for more than half a century. One of my Savage 99s is down there now. We get along fine, but I still have difficulty getting my emails answered. I think that notwithstanding they have a fancy website they are baffled by the internet, still living in 1922 when the firm was founded. My technique is to use that primitive instrument, the telephone, and call Paul Chapman, and if he doesn't pick up the phone, leave messages and pester until he responds. Frankly if we had pony express or Ben Franklin's original US postal service I would use that too.

Pilgrim
.275 member

Reged: 25/05/04
Loc: Washington State, USA
      #46650 - 15/01/06 06:48 AM

G&H isn't the only DR retailer that seems not to be able to respond to e-mails. You can add GSI and Classic Arms (in Memphis) and Westley Richards to your list. I've been trying to get some info on Merkel 140's for a couple of weeks now and zip for replies. Perhaps I can get the info at SCI - Reno next week. FWIW - The dealers in OZ reply very quickly. Either business is too good in the US of A, or the Aussies are simply more polite...dunno which.

I've been lurking and reading (trying to learn about DRs) for quite some time. First post in quite a while. Thank you all or what you have (and are) sharing. I'll be watching for DRSS hats! Thanks, Pilgrim (aka Duane)

iwantadouble
.300 member

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Gallatin County, Montana
Re: Marcel Thys [Re: Pilgrim]
      #46653 - 15/01/06 07:38 AM

I do not know of how Westley Richards handles their e-mail inquiries, or even telephone inquires, but I will say that they are very accomodating to people walking in the door. I stopped in one slow morning, and up front made a note that I was just curious to look at a double or two and was not to be buying at the time and if they would mind. They kindly opened the vault and let me in and showed me several of the rifles on hand and answered some very novice questions I asked them. I was struck that they were just as intregued by the stock as I was and they derived as much pleasure looking, holding, and discussing the rifles as I did. That said a lot to me.

To hear that they do not respond to e-mail is a little sad, as I realize that most of the members of this board are no where near their store. I do understand the problem with being in a business and trying to sell something and having someone who is not interested in buying, but just looking interfering. I'm sure if I had asked during a busy time (not that I would, for either side of the counter), they probably would not have been as open to my requests. Nor would I seek to pester them with repeat visits with out more sincere interest in a specific rifle on hand and adequate money in pocket.

The internet attracts an unknown element that is hard to judge as well as being eye to eye, or even on a telephone where one can catch slight nuances in the tone of voice or expressions made, and this is the only reasoning I can attest for them disregarding emails.

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

BlainSmipy
.375 member

#46659 - 15/01/06 08:40 AM

I'm going to the Bass Pro Shop Tomorrow and will take pictures of the Thye 470NE there and post them.

Colorado

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7843

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com