Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Searcy , Merkle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
470NEBD
.275 member

Reged: 17/11/05
Loc: ks usa
Searcy , Merkle
      #43831 - 13/12/05 03:29 AM

Made a trip to the KC cabelas and handled a searcy and a merkle both in 470Ne. the Searcy was at 6500.00 and was labled field model and the Merkle was at 8900.00 and was a 140.2.I was a little disapointed on the searcy it was very boxy and the wood was plain and there was gap's between the reciever and the stock. The merkle was very tight and felt more like a fine english rifle, the engraving was mild and very tastfull. the price on the searcy was a buy but from my opinion the Merkle was a lot nicer of a rifle.
oh by the was there was a Blaser but it was on hold for a buyer. I am not a big fan of the cocking, and of course ther was several Kreighoff both in 470-500Ne. I wonder if the Searcy was the first models that came out, dont get me wrong the searcy was a very well made gun but the merkle could have passed for a more expensive rifle.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Searcy , Merkle [Re: 470NEBD]
      #43832 - 13/12/05 04:21 AM

No Searcy expert but the field grade model is an older model no longer offered. The newer rifles are not so boxy. He is bringing out a brand new rifle which is suposed to be less boxy yet.

Hope this helps.

JPK

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #43838 - 13/12/05 05:31 AM

The fit and finish on the older Searcy's was not as good as they are today. The field model is an older model.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #43855 - 13/12/05 08:00 AM

I was there last week and handled the same two guns you're talking about. That is the older model "field grade" Searcy they have. It was also a right-handed gun with a left-handed stock... I'm sure that was probably part of the price difference.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

SeanZ
.224 member

Reged: 21/11/05
Loc: Kansas City
Re: Searcy , Merkle [Re: new_guy]
      #43858 - 13/12/05 09:25 AM

Cabela's Gun Library in KC is practically my home away from home. I have looked at both of those rifles many times wishing I could afford either one. One of the salesman told me the Searcy was being sold on consignment, so I think that has something to do with the price also. If I had the money I'd probably buy the Searcy.
Regards,
Sean

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Searcy , Merkle [Re: SeanZ]
      #43872 - 13/12/05 12:47 PM

The Searcy Field grade rifles have been replaced with the PH model. The Field Searcy is a good working rifle, but as you say they are a little like a brick, with two barrels. The rifle would serve you well, and they are usually very accurate. The Merkel is a good rifle as well, and is a little more like the English style double, and for me they handle much better. That is not to say it wouldn't handle fine for you. The rifle has most likely been re-stocked for a lefty after it left Butch's shop. If I'm not mistaken when butch makes a left hand rifle it is a left hand all the way, including the trigger reverse,and top lever working the other way.

The new PH model is a far sleeker rifle, but is $9500 as of now, but the price is going up soon.

I'd not even look at the Blaser! The Krieghoffs are OK, if you can live with the cocking system. A friend of mine has a Krieghoff 500/416 double rifle, and he loves it, and it shoots well. Actually given the four rifles you have mentioned, I'd be looking at the Merkel I have one chambered for 470NE, and it is a very accurate, and good handleing rifle. The retail price for the Merkel Safari is MSR $10,516 US, and is worth the price they want, if ment, and the factory case comes with it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: Searcy , Merkle [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #43896 - 13/12/05 03:19 PM

The PH goes up $1000. after the first of the year.

new_guy
Sponsor

#43901 - 13/12/05 04:11 PM

DUGABOY1 - it looked like Butch's stock profile/style. If it didn't leave his shop like that, then someone did a damn good job of building a stock just like his!

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Searcy , Merkle [Re: Peterb]
      #43902 - 13/12/05 04:14 PM

Is everything in his line going up on the first?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Searcy , Merkle [Re: new_guy]
      #44573 - 22/12/05 04:08 AM

In reply to:

DUGABOY1 - it looked like Butch's stock profile/style. If it didn't leave his shop like that, then someone did a damn good job of building a stock just like his!

new_guy, since I haven't seen the rifle in question, you could very well be correct, in your opinion! I simply may not be as picky about how a stock is fitted as you, since I base my taste in fitting on the lowly Westley Richards doubles that I collect. What I base my thinking the stock have been replaced by someone else is, the fact that the rifle is a right handed model, and the stock is a lefty wood!

All kidding asside, there was an early transition period where some of the stuff Butch sent out were a little rough, in spots. Sort of in the learning curve when changeing from conversions, to building doubles from scratch, and before CNC, to do the hog shapeing. This may be one of those very early transition rifles. All the draw-backs of those early rifles were cosmetic, in nature! The rifles were sound working rifles, however. Even his conversions, with the BSS action, were very strong, and there are examples that have had thousands on rounds of 470NE fired through them amd are still going. Still, in this case, I'd buy the Merkel, if the condition is as has been stated here on the Searcy. The Merkel may be a "OFF THE RACK" double rifle but both mine shoot as well, or better than some of the very well known names I have owned, and are solid. IMO, the MERKELS are value for money spent! Would I rather have a new PH Searcy, made to fit me? Certainly, I would, but that isn't what we are talking about here!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

new_guy
Sponsor

#44576 - 22/12/05 04:18 AM

In reply to:

...but that isn't what we are talking about here!

No, it isn't. You said "The rifle has most likely been re-stocked for a lefty after it left Butch's shop."

I said "it looked like Butch's stock profile/style. If it didn't leave his shop like that, then someone did a damn good job of building a stock just like his!"

My only point about the Searcy was that it was a RH gun with a LH stock and the appearance that it came from the maker as such.

That's what we were talking about...

As for the lowly WR guns... You're right - They aren't "London Best" but at least they are English.
(yes, that was a joke)

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
      #44696 - 23/12/05 10:47 AM

What caliber Westley's do you have? I had a cased 476 that I sold about 5 years ago and I am kicking myself daily for letting it go.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3363

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com