Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A discussion on more affordable double rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: A discussion on more affordable double rifles [Re: Ahmed577]
      #384977 - 26/05/24 09:32 PM

I have decades of experience with black powder, both muzzleloaders and cartridge rifles. I also have a couple decades working with double rifles, smokeless, BPCR and muzzleloaders. I had a Pedersoli M/L double in 50 cal. with the dorky two sights. I was bound and determined I could get it to regulate to one sight. Ha....ain't gonna happen with that rifle. A years worth of work and 3 custom bullet molds, in addition to round balls and the closest I got it was about 6 inches at 50 yards. It went down the road.

I have read the bigger bores shoot better.

I bought an 1850's, 56 cal., German, percussion double rifle that I expected to be an entire summer's project. 2nd load out of the gate it shot sub 3 inches at 50 yards. Actually, the composite group was closer to 2 inches but I never could get it below 2. The bores are frosty and have a little pitting but not bad for a 170+ year old muzzleloader. Stock and outside of the metal are extraordinary.

The Pedersoli was cheap, in more ways than one. I haven't paid over $4,000 for any of my 5 doubles but, it's been a few years since I bought one.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Edited by sharps4590 (26/05/24 09:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A discussion on more affordable double rifles [Re: Ahmed577]
      #384982 - 27/05/24 02:30 AM

Quote:

Affordable not sure. HYEM build double rifles for 15% of a best gun. They are as accurate and reliable. I do use both.

That's a good recommendation from someone with a lot of options.

Heyms are not cheap and a lot of $$$ but by CL's/Ahmed's recommendation represent good value.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CJF
.300 member

Reged: 07/08/17
Loc: United States
Re: A discussion on more affordable double rifles [Re: NitroX]
      #384989 - 27/05/24 12:17 PM

I didn't buy a double rifle until I could afford to get one that was made very well, even if that was a very long time ago.

I spend a lot of time looking before I buy anything, because I want something thats pleasing to the eye, capable of shooting well enough to take deer here in the US, and is priced where I can later sell it and get my money out if and when my tastes change. Dies and brass have to be somewhat available as I'm not buying safe queens.

Because of these criteria, most of my double rifles were originally made for black powder, or were very early nitro guns in smaller bores. If you're willing to look at countless auction listings, you should be able to find a high condition rifle by a good maker for under $5000. This may take 6 months, but that is for a gun already here in the USA. At that price I've gotten solid English and Scottish doubles by Dickson, Alexander Henry, Watson and Reilly.

I'd prefer to sit in the woods staring at a beautiful gun vs a cruder but newer rifle with little to no engraving and poor metal to wood fit.

But the great thing about this hobby is there's many answers to how to go about choosing a double, and my way is just that, something I've chosen to make myself happy.

pondoro62
.275 member

Reged: 15/12/12
Loc: Norway
Re: A discussion on more affordable double rifles [Re: CJF]
      #385033 - 31/05/24 04:27 AM

One of my double rifles that is relatively affordable is a french Gaucher side by side in 9.3x74R..

I am very pleased with it..I have a Zeiss scope on a swing mount and it is most accurate out to 100m + with RWS EVO 291 grain factory..

The action is somewhat more massive than ie a Chapuis and has side clips to strengthen the action..

This is definitely a keeper..

Edited by pondoro62 (31/05/24 04:28 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1694

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com