Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle
      #36887 - 05/09/05 11:11 AM

I would like to get feedback on the newly made Merkel 140's in 7x57R. They have been out for a while and someone must have put one through a workout. If there is anyone who has one of these small caliber doubles would you please let me know your thoughts (Likes or dislikes).

Corbin Shell
corbinshell@mindspring.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: 1980E26]
      #36965 - 06/09/05 10:22 AM

In reply to:

I would like to get feedback on the newly made Merkel 140's in 7x57R. They have been out for a while and someone must have put one through a workout. If there is anyone who has one of these small caliber doubles would you please let me know your thoughts (Likes or dislikes).

Corbin Shell

Corbin, I have a Merkel 140E double Rifle, chambered for 9.3X74R, and it is a very nice rifle. It has sleective ejectors, cocking indicators, and is very accurate! It handles like a very nice 410 shotgun, and fits me perfectly. I've had it for about four years, and have had zero problem with it. The 7X57R should make a fine deer rifle, and is an easy one to load for. I installed a Pachmayr recoil pad on mine, and took the hump out of the butt stock, for a little better fit. I'm quite happy with mine, and it pairs up nicely with my Merkel Safari 470NE for hunting just about anything on the planet! Both cased in factory leather luggage cases, and break down soft cases for tucking them into a Tuff-Pak for travel.

I think you will learn to love this little 7mm double!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

1980E26
.300 member

Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #36966 - 06/09/05 10:35 AM

Mac,

Thanks for the reply on the Merkel. Glad you are enjoying the 9.3mm.

I was hoping someone with a 7x57R would chime in and give me first hand experience. I am very interested in knowing if the new screw type adjustment at the muzzle works well and is repeatable and stays put once regulated. I kinda like the idea of a muzzle wedge however it is my understanding that Merkel has changed to this new system.

Corbin

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #36970 - 06/09/05 11:02 AM

Are these built on the same action as the 470? If it is, a 20 gauge shotgun action, isn't it a little too wide for the smaller cartridge?

One size doesn't fit all in the world of Double Rifles.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

doublegunfan
.275 member

Reged: 26/04/05
Loc: Brazil
      #36996 - 07/09/05 01:37 AM

Corbin,

I do not have a Merkel, but I follow this thread with great interest.
I think too much space is devoted these days to big bore doubles, as if only DR's in a Nitro Express round bigger than a .450/.400 X 3" are good enough to be considered. Sometimes I find myself thinking (or better, dreaming) about these calibres, of course, but the truth is that small bores like a 7X57 or a .303 are much more usefull, unless you hunt more buffalos than deer!
I came to the conclusion that some of the most interesting rounds for a small bore DR would be something like a 7X57R, .303, 8X57R or even the good old .30-30 Win! My double, which is now in the middle of its contruction, is based on a 12 gauge frame, so I decided on a big bore (but no NE: it is a .444 Marlin). But if I had a 20 or a 28 ga action, I would sure chamber it for either the 7X57R or the .30-30.
I hope you find someone with good experience on the Merkel rifle.

Regards, Fred

1980E26
.300 member

Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: doublegunfan]
      #36999 - 07/09/05 03:59 AM

Fred,

Contact me directly as I would like to know more about your double rifle project. I will give you my phone number when you send me a direct email.

Corbin Shell
corbinshell@mindspring.com

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: doublegunfan]
      #37000 - 07/09/05 04:09 AM

In reply to:

I do not have a Merkel, but I follow this thread with great interest. Sometimes I find myself thinking (or better, dreaming) about these calibres, of course, but the truth is that small bores like a 7X57 or a .303 are much more usefull, unless you hunt more buffalos than deer!

When I bought my double (not a Merkel) it came with a set of 7x65R barrels. After shooting it more than a few times I was less than satisfied with it's performance. Not handloading I tried RWS, Norma and Sellier & Bellot. I don't think given the poor performance I would be willing to carry this afield in lieu of a bolt action rifle.
Enter Superior Ammo into the picture. Yesterday I had the opportunity to try a sample package with three different loadings for my gun.
I am now a convert. After seeing the performance now, I would carry this to hell and gone knowing it was capable of what ever I needed done. I'm gonna keep this and can't wait to hunt it.
The right and left barrel both put three bullets each touching and about 1/4" apart at 100 yards.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

mickey
.416 member

Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: foxfire]
      #37011 - 07/09/05 09:52 AM

That's pretty good. A lot of people don't understand that Doubles are hunting rifles, not just stoppers. They can and do shoot as well as any other rifle of a given caliber and are a lot more fun to carry around.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: mickey]
      #37034 - 08/09/05 03:05 AM

In reply to:

That's pretty good. A lot of people don't understand that Doubles are hunting rifles, not just stoppers. They can and do shoot as well as any other rifle of a given caliber and are a lot more fun to carry around.

What Mick said!!!!!!!!!!!

My little 9.3X74R is my favorite double, and I use in far more than any other I own. I did own a little S/S 8X57JR double that weighed only 7.5 lbs, that was a sweet little rifle, and would print all shots from both barrels in a 1" group at 100 yds, off the sand bags. The right barrel had a "SET" trigger, and it made that barrel a 300 yd deer rifle! I've been trying to get it back for 5 yrs, but I can't pry it loose form it's now owner! He's smarter than I am!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #37211 - 11/09/05 07:15 AM

Your right Mickey, they are as good as any rifle with iron sights, but not for scoped long range work by comparison as some would have us believe..I would love a 7x57 rimmed double rifle for mule deer hunting in my back yard, the South Hills of Idaho...but it would limit my range factor, but hey it does the same thing with the 25-35 Win. carbine that usually hunt them with..It makes it a hunt not a shoot.

Henrik
.224 member

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: Gothenburg,Sweden
      #39120 - 13/10/05 10:26 PM

Hello Corbin!
I have had a Merkel 141E in 8x57JRS for some time now. As you might now this is NOT the same gun as a 140. The 141 is based on a 28cal action where the 141 is based on a 20cal action.The difference in weight would be roughly 1 lb.
To my mind there's not all that difference between a 7x57 and a 8x57 but as they say "your milage may vary".

I'm very pleased with this nimble little gun! So far I've bagged about 10 big game animals with it. they have been deers, mooses and a boar. Since I'm from Sweden most of my hunting has been for driven game where a quick little double comes in very handy.

Mine is scoped with a 1.1-4x20 scope in detachable swingmounts from recknagel and the have worked like a dream.

I have used the muzzle adjustment arrangement to regulate the gun for 196 grain Norma Oryx bullets at 2400 fps. The result is 4 shots at 2" at 100m. Thats good enough for me ;-)

The only downside so far is that the gun is still a bit too tight after 300 rounds. But it will take a lot of shooting until this baby gets off face, that's for sure.

All on all I can only recommend this lovely little gun.

Regards,
Henrik

MauserRifle
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: U.S.A.
      #39134 - 14/10/05 10:30 AM

Mickey

The Merkel big bores are built on the 20 ga. action. The smaller calibers are built on the 410/28 ga. action.

I have the new Merkel catalog if you need some info. On another posting not too long back, remember I talked about contacting Merkel and talking to the owners son and some of the changes Merkel was thinking about on their DR's, most notably, a selective extractor/ejector systeem.

I just sent you a PH, but forgot to add that if you need to contact me while I am gone, call me on the cell.

--------------------
Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

mickey
.416 member

Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: MauserRifle]
      #39135 - 14/10/05 11:13 AM

In reply to:

I just sent you a PH, but forgot to add that if you need to contact me while I am gone, call me on the cell.

Just send me a PM, I don't need anymore PH's hanging around.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

MauserRifle
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: U.S.A.
      #39137 - 14/10/05 11:23 AM

Mickey

OK, you got me on that one.

Sorry about that , typo errorrrorrer!!!!

Duly noted, no more PH's to be sent!

--------------------
Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

1980E26
.300 member

Re: Merkel 7x57R Double Rifle [Re: Henrik]
      #39198 - 17/10/05 12:42 AM

Henrik,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Merkel. I am seriously considering one of these in 7x57R. Not too keen on the idea that they will not use my piece of wood. Merkel is not very customer friendly in that respect. I wanted no engraving and GSI told me that you get it one way, AS IS.

If I get one of these doubles I will most likely restock it with something eye popping.

Thanks again.

Corbin

Henrik
.224 member

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: Gothenburg,Sweden
      #39225 - 17/10/05 07:48 PM

Hello Corbin,
I do agree that the stock is not really fancy.

I did choose not to do anything about the stock until I had found out if the gun was a keeper. To my mind the comb of the stock is to low, so I need to restock it and I have already talked to the stockmaker and the gun will have a new stock after this season.

Regards,
Henrik

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6334

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com