Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bought a Baikal (Remington)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Bought a Baikal (Remington) [Re: NitroX]
      #207171 - 16/04/12 12:31 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if the story was an old story from a cast bullet maker who made hard cast bullets which "performed better the slower they were pushed". This maker then went to Africa and told lots of AMAZING stories about his bullet performace (read bullshit stories).

There is some truth to that though JH - in general - when at normal cast bullet velocity the faster you drive a soft cast projectile the more it expands and the more it slows down (less penetration). That might partly explain wht the guy was going-on about??

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Smoke73
.300 member

Reged: 30/05/11
Loc: Rocky Mtn. House Alberta
Re: Bought a Baikal (Remington) [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #207173 - 16/04/12 01:00 PM

Should also be noted that some of the newer hodgdon powders are capable of amazing things at really low pressures in the 45-70. Daryl can surely enlighten anyone interested.

--------------------
Your not tired, you just think your tired, you don't even know what the hell tired is.- Garth Ahlstrom (Thanx Dad love ya)

"When one of them is born, their god says ' Go in peace.'
When one of us is born our Gods say "Go hunting."- J. Emmett Willie

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bought a Baikal (Remington) [Re: Smoke73]
      #207205 - 17/04/12 01:55 AM

Anyone with a good handle on bullet casting, knows about bullet hardening and tempering along with what alloys are necessary for the best results.

Ross Seyfreid took this to the next level, you might say, by using a 5 shot Linebough'd Ruger revolver to kill a Cape Buffalo.

Properly prepared, a WW alloy bullet can give virtually identical results to the best of the lead/guilding metal covered/steel jacketed bullets at speeds up to 2,000fps or 2,100fps - perhaps faster.

By tempering the bullets after hardening, you can achieve almost any level of penetration/expansion you want. Another option is making soft-points of various dimensions of 'solid' and soft sections. It's actualy quite marvelous, what can be done.

If interested, buy Veral Smith's book "Jacketed performance with Cast Bullets". I bought my copy in 1978.

He was actually driving soft points at 3,200fps and obtaining vertually identical performance to 180gr. Nosler Partitions.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15211

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com